Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Berberis wrote: »
    Too late to use the sky Ireland forum. Wifes phone has free landline and mobile calls and as far as I know the 0818 numbers on vodafone bill pay are classed as calls to landlines as per your deal tarrif

I heard an ad on the radio mentioning €19 pm 1 year deal

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Janey Mack that's not the easiest thing to do. You really need to have an iron will to not be talked into staying.
    Call took over 40 minutes. The first 15 were on hold till an operator answered. First agent slowly went from what my package will go up to (€53) then lowered it to €48 then down to original without HD to 38 then to 29. When I politely thanked him for being so generous he put me on to his colleague to close account.
    He had one last stab and offered me variety for €19 and HD for €5 per month for 9 months no contract.
    It was hard turning it down but to be honest my original plan was to get the sky back in for a year with CPW deal as it gave me new dish cabling and box for €180 spread over a year and the extra sky channels and plus as bonus for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 invalidkey

invalidkey wrote: »
    Been on the CPW deal 15 a month, requested a callback to cancel today was offered the 19 a moth original deal - declined then they started on with this junk that it's cheaper at 19 a month with them than watching Saorview as from next month i'll get a saorview bill for 250 euro per annum. Anybody have info on how they're allowed spout that nonsense?
    Next up was half price 9 months despite me going on like a broken record cancel cancel cancel
    Sorted now!
    groom wrote: »
    :) cheeky bollix
    Seve OB wrote: »
    I'd ask them for their full name and ask where they are based. I would ask them then to clarify what they mean, ask where they got that information and then tell them I would like a copy of the recording of the conversation, as I am going to report them to Comreg.
    I'm not too sure how they're allowed do this but the guy I had on the phone claimed that saorview installers are illegally using their dishes to install saorview (that's right, dishes on a terrestrial service)

He also said that they would be issuing a software update next month to stop saorview boxes (no mention of the illegal ones) from using their satellite dishes

The best part is that the dishes are communal based as we are living in an apartment!!!

How in gods name can they spout such nonsense?

Just to follow up on the claim above ... Be careful and spred the word on how Sky retention bargains and offers could be based on false or misleading info... Aka a one time mistake in Sky's books.

I've followed this up intensely with sky and failed to reach satisfactory assurances from them, I asked them to self refer to consumer protection which they declined so I have forwarded all contact to the NCA for review. People could have been walked into contracts based on false information supplied re Saorview charges.

Extract from (long) contact to sky
    "I'll be very interested in hearing how the cancellation function will be streamlined and no future customers will be lied to plus a full review should be undertaken to establish if customers have been shoehorned into purchasing services they did not require."

In sky's defence
    They have apologised repeatedly and acknowledged error.
    Given verbal undertaking it will not happen again
    I'm pro sky, enjoyed the service and may take it up again in the future but doesn't suit me timewise atm.

Sky no doubt invest a lot in retention policy, it would be great if you call to cancel and got option of plain immediate cancel or listen to offers and opinions. I firmly believe you should be able to cancel in same method and equal or less time than signup takes. If you encounter poor service that could be a consumer protection issue the more NCA hear the more likely they will challenge sky to improve sales standards.

invalidkey wrote: »
    Just to follow up on the claim above ... Be careful and spred the word on how Sky retention bargains and offers could be based on false or misleading info... Aka a one time mistake in Sky's books.

I've followed this up intensely with sky and failed to reach satisfactory assurances from them, I asked them to self refer to consumer protection which they declined so I have forwarded all contact to the NCA for review. People could have been walked into contracts based on false information supplied re Saorview charges.

Extract from (long) contact to sky
    "I'll be very interested in hearing how the cancellation function will be streamlined and no future customers will be lied to plus a full review should be undertaken to establish if customers have been shoehorned into purchasing services they did not require."

In sky's defence
    They have apologised repeatedly and acknowledged error.
    Given verbal undertaking it will not happen again
    I'm pro sky, enjoyed the service and may take it up again in the future but doesn't suit me timewise atm.

Sky no doubt invest a lot in retention policy, it would be great if you call to cancel and got option of plain immediate cancel or listen to offers and opinions. I firmly believe you should be able to cancel in same method and equal or less time than signup takes. If you encounter poor service that could be a consumer protection issue the more NCA hear the more likely they will challenge sky to improve sales standards.

I know it's not easy to do but when on the line can't one just keep repeating something like "I don't want to hear any offers, I just want to cancel..." after saying it 10+ times they'd get the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭Soarer

dinneenp wrote: »
    I know it's not easy to do but when on the line can't one just keep repeating something like "I don't want to hear any offers, I just want to cancel..." after saying it 10+ times they'd get the point?

But the thing is, a lot of people do want to hear the offers! It's only when they don't get one of the exceptional deals mentioned here that they go ahead and cancel.....in the hope Sky will ring them back with one of the exceptional deals mentioned here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

Berberis wrote: »
    Went to ring just now to cancel as the €15 CPW deal finishes for me in 31 days. Thought I'd use the golden pages free call trick and the feckin thing not available anymore.
    May wait till later when the wife is home and use her free calls phone as I am not using up all my PAYG credit as I believe this call could be a lengthy one

PM the Sky Reps to call you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was going to say "no" but thats probably a bit unfair on Sky staff as a whole as my specific issue was with one particular agent.

I cancelled a month ago and had a horrendous experience. After telling the guy on at least 7 or 8 occasions that I was the customer, I was out of contract and I wanted to cancel and all the while reminding him that the call and my repeated cancellation notice was being recorded he still wouldnt accept my request.

So finally I hung up on him as I had given my notice but he rang me back again immediately and then insisted that I was not allowing him to do his job. WTF?

I did complain, I did receive a phone call from a manager, I did receive an apology but that didnt compensate me for the lies and abuse I had to endure coupled with the waste of over an hour of my time. The fact of the matter is that it should never have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 invalidkey

Yes that would be one possible approach but you don't need to repeat I want to Join 10 times to be understood :)

The point of my post isn't centred on disconnection hassle it's the retention sales pitch that was false & misleading and could have potentially duped me into a contract as €19 a month on sky over a year was pointed out to be cheaper than saorview at 250 (annual comparison) , firmly confidently repeated a number of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The cancellation system should be automated. Most of their bloody customer service options are.

Press 6 to cancel.

Enter your viewing card. Confirm password on account. Enter last four digits of bank account number or something like that. Job done.

They 20+ minute calls to cancel are painful. Best way around it is to just be super rude and say you don't want to hear any natter and cancel. The problem is the guys on the other end of the phone are judged on how many customers they keep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The cancellation system should be automated. Most of their bloody customer service options are.

Press 6 to cancel.

Enter your viewing card. Confirm password on account. Enter last four digits of bank account number or something like that. Job done.

They 20+ minute calls to cancel are painful. Best way around it is to just be super rude and say you don't want to hear any natter and cancel. The problem is the guys on the other end of the phone are judged on how many customers they keep

If you really want to cancel and you're not fishing for a deal tell them you are emigrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lollb

Rang yesterday to cancel was told as I am a loyal customer they would give me half price hd and 15percent of full package for 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

lollb wrote: »
    Rang yesterday to cancel was told as I am a loyal customer they would give me half price hd and 15percent of full package for 9 months

Hope you said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You need to convince them that they are wasting their time, so they're better finishing you off and moving on to another potential sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

If you really want to cancel and you're not fishing for a deal tell them you are emigrating.

I do. They start banging on about moving the account to a friends house but keeping it in my name. When I ask can they change the name on the account the data protection reasons they say they can't. Ridiculous. Luckily I only ring them once or twice a year now to get the guaranteed deals after cutting off the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Ha ha. Done deal job eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Skys current new custommer offer from their website is for original+HD @ €29pm with free box, free install and €100 cash back with a once off fee of €30

I'm going to call them up and point out that I don't need a new box or install and see how much that's worth to them, on Thursday, 31 days before my €15 CPW deal ends

Daily Mail article with transcript of 96 minute call from person trying to cancel

Maybe you have to tell them you've become blind. They'd still go through the pitch, saying they people who are visiting you would watch it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ablelocks

cancelled 21/7, account ended 22/8 - no call from them yet.

with the rugby world cup starting on Friday, this game of chicken is really going to the wire.

c'mon sky, blink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

ablelocks wrote: »

with the rugby world cup starting on Friday, this game of chicken is really going to the wire.

c'mon sky, blink!

at least you will have itv hd in other channels to watch fta

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭bren2001

c'mon sky, blink!

Can you not just get a saorview aerial and watch on TV3? They have coverage for all the games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

This is what I got when I tried to cancel last year. It specifically said you can send them a message and cancel. Note the IE in the URL bar.

The staff refused to cancel even though several screenshots of their website were sent.
    As your account is registered in the Republic of Ireland, you’ll need to contact our Customer Services team direct on 0818719819.
    Please have your relevant information available when you contact us such as your address, account number, viewing card number, and any password on the account.

Kind regards
    Mark-Anthony
    Sky Help Centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

c'mon sky, blink!

Ring them, select the option for rejoining Sky (left less than 12 months ago) then look for an offer. I reckon you should get half price.

just updating carphone warehouse deal

original sports movies €38 pm for 12 months
    €10 hd extra for 12 months
    1/2 price multiroom €7.50 for 6 months.

No set up fee. only €10 deposit, which will be credited to your first bill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

any offer for variety
    kooga wrote: »
    just updating carphone warehouse deal

original sports movies €38 pm for 12 months
    €10 hd extra for 12 months
    1/2 price multiroom €7.50 for 6 months.

No set up fee. only €10 deposit, which will be credited to your first bill

no mention of variety in that deal, i'm sure you could pay the price difference and get.

They had previously original for €15 pm x 12 but that is now expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

cheers
    cancelled about 2 weeks ago,
    had missed call last friday, so will see whats offered first

kooga wrote: »
    no mention of variety in that deal, i'm sure you could pay the price differnce and get.

They had previously original for €15 pm x 12 but that is now expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My sky stopped on the 18th Aug, not heard from sky since , but did have 2 previous discount periods. i wonder if thats your limit, and sky think, no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    My sky stopped on the 18th Aug, not heard from sky since , but did have 2 previous discount periods. i wonder if thats your limit, and sky think, no more.

They have contacted me 3 times since last November and the latest freebie is due to end in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

Just spent 50 mins on the phone, please help me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

I cut them in july they have been ringing me twice a day since august

Advertisement