Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why don't you answer the question. My scenario is feasible. I was led to believe that questions are supposed to be answered here.

Why don't you answer my question?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I happen to know a black Jewish lesbian. I don't like her.

Does that mean she can't have access to abortion?

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

aloyisious wrote: »
    That'd be an very extreme scenario, but NOT outside the range of human-thought. I'd say "NO" as it's "based" on a lazyness, a whim or fancy on colour schemes.

My position on abortions is that a woman must have the last say, on credible grounds: - eg, to eliminate a risk to her health and life - to terminate or abort her pregnancy. I won't be changing my position on the rightness of allowing a woman the final credible say on having an abortion or termination.

In a way that has a direct bearing on the suicide part of the bill, nay-sayers and doubters questioning of it being a reality have been answered in real life by the pregnant woman who took her own life because her latest pregnancy was revealed by ultrasound to be a boy, not a girl, as she already had several sons.

I believe your position is very reasonable and considered FWIW. I would have no intention of trying to change your opinion as I am not even fully convinced of my own positions (other than late-term abortions) It appears you have actually weighed up the pros and cons and try to look at it from all angles not simply a case of the woman should be able to do whatever she wants with an unborn child that she has created.

Just to add, on our previous discussion you believed it to be a criminal act to kill a baby still living after a botched abortion. What if it was simply left to die?

lazygal wrote: »
    Why don't you answer my question?
    Because it is insincere.

Because it is insincere.

Why? Are you the only one asking sincere questions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Does that mean she can't have access to abortion?

She lives in London so apparently she can have one a day if she wants up to 10 months gestation.

All she has to do is demand one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭swampgas

aloyisious wrote: »
    My position on abortions is that a woman must have the last say, on credible grounds: - eg, to eliminate a risk to her health and life - to terminate or abort her pregnancy. I won't be changing my position on the rightness of allowing a woman the final credible say on having an abortion or termination.

The issue with this is: who are you (or I or anyone else) to judge what is and isn't a credible reason for something this personal?

Either you respect a woman's autonomy or you don't - saying you can have an abortion only if I agree that your motivation is credible is not my idea of respecting someone's autonomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

If a woman doesn't want have a half cast child and she wants rid of it it should be her right provided she does it early enough I think.

Big Bottom wrote: »
    If a woman doesn't want have a half cast child and she wants rid of it it should be her right provided she does it early enough I think.

I'm sorry but who says 'half cast' anymore?

So now the scenario is what if a racist woman has a one night stand with a black man???

What part of it's up to each individual woman whether or not she wishes to be pregnant do you not understand?

It's really a very simple premise - she who owns the womb gets to decide if she wants the womb occupied and no matter how many of these increasingly bizarre 'what if's' you post will change that simple fact.

Women should have the right to choose.

Therefore you are in favour of abortions at 8 and half months should the woman request it, right?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but who says 'half cast' anymore?

Live line callers.

Therefore you are in favour of abortions at 8 and half months should the woman request it, right?

Have you a friend who had an abortion at eight and a half months? I had my abortion at nine months. Very positive experience for me and my daughter.

Have you a friend who had an abortion at eight and a half months? I had my abortion at nine months. Very positive experience for me and my daughter.
    Now you are just trolling. Worse, trolling on a thread about abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭swampgas

Why would a woman want to do this - I don't know, maybe she needs chemotherapy? This should be incredibly rare, but I think what should happen is that the 8.5 month baby be delivered early, not killed.

I honestly don't think extremely unlikely situations like this should be used as a basis for determining the law on abortion - do you?

Now you are just trolling. Worsione, trolling on a thread about abortion.

I'm not trolling. As I've said many times, I had an abortion of pregnancy at 39 weeks and no one died.

Where did I say that?

I demand you retract that libelous statement or provide evidence that I ever stated such a thing.

See - we can all do outrage and hop on our high horses.

I'm not trolling. As I've said many times, I had an abortion of pregnancy at 39 weeks and no one died.
    I sincerely apologise for the offense caused due to the misunderstanding in that case.

I mistook your mention of your daughter as the child you lost and wrong took it as a flippant attitude. I assume now it is another daughter you have. I assume it was for medical reasons, which is something entirely different as far as I am concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Why don't you answer the question. My scenario is feasible. I was led to believe that questions are supposed to be answered here.

And again you go into whinging mode about people not answering your questions but you have skipped over several pertinent questions with no intention of answering them.

Where did I say that?

I demand you retract that libelous statement or provide evidence that I ever stated such a thing.

See - we can all do outrage and hop on our high horses.

You said:

It's really a very simple premise - she who owns the womb gets to decide if she wants the womb occupied

Now does this or does this not include the right to abortion for the flimsiest of reasons at 8 and a half months?

(or should I just add this to the list of questions that won't be answered?)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Now you are just trolling. Worse, trolling on a thread about abortion.
    No accusations of trolling, please. The mods here will decide whether it's happening, and if so, reserve the right to moderate as they wish to resolve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Mark Hamill, you indicated that life would be "better" for the "very poor" if they had less children. Would you like to a legal limit on the number of children the "very poor" can produce?

Thats the logic of where that question comes from? I know there are jokes about anti-abortions being afraid of multi-story abortionplexes where everyone has to get aborted but I didn't think anyone actually believed anything like that.

Of course I dont think there should be a legal limit on the number of kids anyone can produce, neither now nor during the famine (which was the time period that was being discussed). Such a ridiculous question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I think you would save 90% of the bluster about abortion if people realised that abortion is not granting the right to kill your child to mothers. It is merely granting them the right to remove a the fetus from their womb. This is a right everyone else already has, to alter or remove entities from their body if they wish.

with the founder of planned parenthood being a eugenicist and a racist I don't think it was such a strange question. Could have been cleared up simply and quickly with a straight answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Mark Hamill, you indicated that life would be "better" for the "very poor" if they had less children. Would you like to a legal limit on the number of children the "very poor" can produce?

Do you believe poor people cannot be trusted to determine for themselves what is the number of children they financially support?

If not what is the point of this question?

Zombrex wrote: »
    I think you would save 90% of the bluster about abortion if people realised that abortion is not granting the right to kill your child to mothers. It is merely granting them the right to remove a the fetus from their womb. This is a right everyone else already has, to alter or remove entities from their body if they wish.

Exactly. It can't be stated often enough that abortion of pregnancy is not killing anything. Its ending pregnancy and happens up to 42 weeks every day in Ireland.

You said:

It's really a very simple premise - she who owns the womb gets to decide if she wants the womb occupied

Now does this or does this not include the right to abortion for the flimsiest of reasons at 8 and a half months?

(or should I just add this to the list of questions that won't be answered?)

What you are doing is called extrapolating.

Retract or prove I said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Will you even just PM me the source of the photo eireannBEAR? Dont even have to answer the questions I asked. Preferably from a source that isnt a group like YD who would take a picture of a 2 year old running in a field and claim it is a 2 week old in the womb
    But they should be forced to have the baby instead?

How many weeks into the pregnancy is the picture you linked from? It looks pretty far along, more than 24 weeks if I were to guess. Wasnt it already shown that less than 2% of abortions are after that stage? Was it even aborted? Could of been a still born.

Exactly. It can't be stated often enough that abortion of pregnancy is not killing anything. Its ending pregnancy and happens up to 42 weeks every day in Ireland.

What is the difference between a soon to be aborted healthy 24 week foetus and a living 24 week premature baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think you are being purposefully ignorant in this respect, as its been explained enough times, but to reiterate:
    Abortion is not actually performed on a foetus, its performed on a pregnancy. An abortion performed on an 8 1/2 moth pregnancy would result in a live baby being born (its probably the simplest and easiest way to end the pregnancy at that stage) and methods could include C section or medical inducement.

• Advertisement

What is the difference between a soon to be aborted healthy 24 week foetus and a living 24 week premature baby?

In Ireland they're no different because medical teams will make every effort to save both. I think you may be somewhat uninformed about the law and practice of abortion here. Its to save lives only, and foetuses born alive receive all necessary medical treatment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement