Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The choice needs to be available. It's really that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think it's one of those things which could go either way. There'll be a lot of scaremongering from the "No" side, and they'll be a lot more vocal than the "Yes" side. But at the same time, if the "Yes" side are clear and concise on the circumstances under which abortion would be allowable (rape, risk of mother's life, severe deformities in foetus) then I think most people under 50 would see it as being a fair move.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

But abortion happens anyway, we just make women take a trip to the UK to do it, and demonise their decisions instead of offering care and support closer to home. Its hilarious how black and white pro-lifers make what can be a very grey area issue. "abortion is MURDER, simple as!" is something you see every other day on Youth Defences facebook page, I guarantee you not one of those people would call a woman who had an abortion a murderer to her face, not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sarky wrote: »
    The choice needs to be available. It's really that simple.
    To paraphrase a post in AH which summed up my feelings on it nicely:

I'm anti-abortion at heart, pro-choice on principle.

While I feel that there's always a better option than ending an otherwise uncomplicated pregnancy, I recognise that it's not mine or the state's right to force a woman to bring it to completion.

I also think it's time to take the debate up a notch and bring in the complications. The pro-lifers often try to represent the abortion issue as that of children being murdered, but conveniently forget about the huge numbers of unviable or otherwise perfectly valid reasons for ending a pregnancy early when the foetus is already dead or functionally braindead.

For some reason, I've never seen these cases discussed in the Irish media, but this time they seem to be bringing them to the fore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

European army of aborted babies here we come!

Personally I think the lifers will win it. The demographics favour them. The over forties vote a lot mor than the unders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Support Jobs Creation : Vote Yes for Abortion Multiplexes.

God I hate referendums in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BraveInca

Dunno what the Catholics folks are so worried about. Surely God will look after all the murdered babies. "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius." as they said in the Cathar wars and since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

European army of aborted babies here we come!

Personally I think the lifers will win it. The demographics favour them. The over forties vote a lot mor than the unders.

It's already been voted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Dunno why the church are getting involved,God is the biggest abortionist after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It would be nice if the country could have an abortion debate that doesn't involve invoking a supernatural deity in order to justify a position. As soon as someone says "...because God says so" the debate ends to a large degree.

It would be also nice if we could have an abortion debate that doesn't involve some mis-guided feminists demanding that people stay out of their business, ignoring that the state has always interfered with someones private business if there is justification to (you can't privately rape your children).

To sum up, it would be nice if we could have an abortion debate where both sides aren't coming up with moronic arguments :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Unlike a referendum, where the people decide in a secret ballot, passing legislation in the Dáil requires TDs to vote in public. Few TDs want to upset any of their electorate, such is the nature of Irish politics. However a vote on abortion is going to force them to take a position, and alienate at least some of their supporters. No wonder they have put it off for so long - simply declaring oneself a Catholic and being seen going to mass every Sunday isn't going to cut it with the Catholic die-hards if they vote to allow (even very limited) abortion, and voting against abortion in all cases won't please the big chunk of voters that want to see the legislation put in place.

Either way, it will force TDs to get off the fence, which they absolutely do not want to do. I wouldn't be surprised to see another referendum being proposed as a way of sparing TDs the job of tackling some very needed but very divisive legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dunno what the religious objection is. According to the Bible, an infant under one month old isn't considered a person. Though I guess it helps if you only use the Bible to pick and choose what pieces suit your agenda. Killing newborn babies? That's obviously too ridiculous to be taken literally. Obscure reference to homosexuality? Word of God is absolute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Whereabouts is the bit about infants under 1 month? That'll be a fun quote in the days to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Penn wrote: »
    But at the same time, if the "Yes" side are clear and concise on the circumstances under which abortion would be allowable (rape, risk of mother's life, severe deformities in foetus) then I think most people under 50 would see it as being a fair move.

I really really really hope that it's not going to be limited to these circumstances. I would like to be able to access a safe abortion in my own country rather than having to take out a loan to travel to the UK if my contraception fails.

Edit: to answer the OP, I agree that I suspect what the RCC preaches directly will have much of an effect on the younger people. It would be the likes of Youth Defence and their nasty campaigns that might sway some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sarky wrote: »
    Whereabouts is the bit about infants under 1 month? That'll be a fun quote in the days to come.
    http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/abortion.html

Good old Leviticus again. Maybe anyone arguing authority from the bible should be forced to read Leviticus and sign an agreement that it is the "word of God" before they can join in the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

They are not counted:
    Number the children of Levi after the house of their fathers, by their families: every male from a month old and upward shalt thou number them. And Moses numbered them according to the word of the LORD. -- Numbers 3:15-16

From my reading the following means that a woman can have an abortion if her husband and judges allow it as long as they don't cause any other trouble:
    If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life. -- Exodus 21:22-23

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Nodin wrote: »
    It's already been voted on.

I would be surprised if this or any government we have in the near future will move to legislate on this. There is a reason that it hasn't been done in the 20 years since we* voted on this. Like in 2002, the odds are we'll be asked to vote on the issue again. The only difference is that this time around I doubt the EU will allow them to ignore the issue if the public doesn't vote the need for legislation away.

*By we I'm not actually including myself as I was not old enough to vote in 1992. Like, I suspect, most posters here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

abortion should be for ALL..I believe that to be totally wrong wrong wrong,as it sends out the wrong message to people having sex,saying there are no consequences you dont have to grow up and face the music..

abortion should only be for suicidal/rape victims,and those who dont want to rear handicapped or those incompatible with life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

abortion should be for ALL..I believe that to be totally wrong wrong wrong,as it sends out the wrong message to people having sex,saying there are no consequences you dont have to grow up and face the music..

You don't want abortion because you think there should be consequences to sex? Why does there have to be consequences to sex?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

abortion should only be for suicidal/rape victims,and those who dont want to rear handicapped or those incompatible with life..

Abortion is a consequence

by making a rape exception you're saying you don't care about the life of a fetus, only about punishment

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Insightful as always....
    Jernal wrote: »
    Support Jobs Creation : Vote Yes for Abortion Multiplexes.

God I hate referendums in this country.

"Austerity isn't working, say NO to abortion"

Abortion is a consequence

no abortion is no consequence they can scratch pregnancy out of their lives..
    by making a rape exception you're saying you don't care about the life of a fetus, only about punishment

youre reading into whats not there i didnt explicity say that did i?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it is a consequence by the very definition of the word consequence; it's just one you don't like

since you're so obsessed with women being punished for having sex, you don't need to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

And?

Why are you for abortion in cases of rape but against abortion in cases or carelessness or even just bad luck?

Do you think abortion is murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I can't understand how the pro lifers can on one end say that the consequences of an abortion are devastating for both parties and also say there are no consequence.

No offence, but debating this issue with arguments that self defeat is insane!

christmas2012,

"Abortion diminishes the consequences of reckless sex," is that your sole objection to abortion? As an argument against abortion it's one of the worst that I've heard. The argument has no basis because you haven't told us why sex should have consequences. Until you do that your argument is pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I don't get this, if its right then its right and should be available to all non-conditionally.

Personally I'd like to see males granted the right to 'abort' their legal responsibilities as well should it become legal. Just as women can be not ready for parenthood so can males.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

If they can scratch pregnancy out of their lives so easily, why are you of the opinion that Marie Stopes clinics should come with a health warning, that women are not informed of the painful medical procedure, and that it does untold long-term psychological damage to a woman?

If that's the case, then you can't really "scratch" pregnancy out of your life.

You're so funny.

Abortion diminishes the consequences of reckless sex, is that your sole objection to abortion?

that is my sole objection to abortion yes ,and its not the worst argument to put forward,there should be consequences for each action it teaches people nothing about lessons to be learned,if youre prepared to have sex you should be prepared to have a child full stop,and if youre not you should think twice about contraception
    The argument has no basis because you haven't told us why sex should have consequences.

Sex does have consequences its called pregnancy,and if yorue mature enough to have sex you should be mature enough to face the music..

since you're so obsessed with women being punished for having sex, you don't need to

as a fellow member of the fair sex im not obsessed with women being punished where have i said that,youre reading into things that simply arent there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Abortion diminishes the consequences of reckless sex," is that your sole objection to abortion?

that is my sole objection to abortion yes ,and its not the worst argument to put forward,there should be consequences for each action it teaches people nothing about lessons to be learned,if youre prepared to have sex you should be prepared to have a child full stop,and if youre not you should think twice about contraception

Sex does have consequences its called pregnancy,and if yorue mature enough to have sex you should be mature enough to face the music..

You have such an unhealthy attitude to parenting. It's a "consequence" and it's "facing the music". If you instill these values in young women and they do perchance get pregnant by accident, they'll be so resentful of their kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement