Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BPB]Boards Photobook 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

I have to apologise, I only got to pop mine over on Saturday. If there are any difficulties please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

A few of you would have received an email from me today about your photo submission. Can you please get back to me urgently on this.

Thanks
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

DarrenG wrote: »
    A few of you would have received an email from me today about your photo submission. Can you please get back to me urgently on this

Thanks Darren - yes, that was the wrong photo. And thanks for the chance to send on the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

dinneenp wrote: »
    I have a quesition and an idea...
    questions- should there be a seperate thread for talk & ideas (like my ides below) for the Photobook or is this the thread to use?
    My idea- The evening could be a good opportunity to give away/swap any photography related magazines, books etc. that you have at home and you've read.
    I know I have a fair few magazines & the odd book or two (Bryan Peterson) that I've read and could pass on....

I like the sound of that idea too, I have quite a few magazines and a few books which I don't use anymore (having looked at my shots, maybe I should get back to reading again:P), which I would be delighted to swap/pass on to someone who is grateful for them!!! I would have to stay overnight anyhow so would have the car with me, and have no problem minding stuff for people if we end up in the same area afterwards....

Is there a particular place where ye usually stay overnight? Or do ye all go your own ways after the event is finished? (This question is aimed at those traveling further afield btw)!!!

If a photowalk is being arranged, I presume it's on the same day as the launch? How early would ye start? (Never been on one:o)

Just trying to sort out whether to arrange accommodation for one or two nights, with or without my kids etc etc:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

mumof2 wrote: »

Is there a particular place where ye usually stay overnight? Or do ye all go your own ways after the event is finished? (This question is aimed at those traveling further afield btw)!!!

If a photowalk is being arranged, I presume it's on the same day as the launch? How early would ye start? (Never been on one:o)

Just trying to sort out whether to arrange accommodation for one or two nights, with or without my kids etc etc:D

Go without the kids! (I have kids too) You'll have the full day/evening to yourself and be able to photograph all day & fully enjoy the evening...

For photowalk the afternoon would suit me best. I'll be driving over from Galway that morning.
    I'm sure a route will be planned. I havne't been on too many but I love photowalks- casual photographing while chatting to people & afterwards see two different takes/photos on the same stuff & see things that you missed.

Cheers for the offer to mind mags/books. I'll bring some along so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

For photowalk the afternoon would suit me best. I'll be driving over from Galway that morning.
    I'm sure a route will be planned. I havne't been on too many but I love photowalks- casual photographing while chatting to people & afterwards see two different takes/photos on the same stuff & see things that you missed.

Going on what I arranged last year. We started at 12 or 1 and I made people aware of the vague route before the day, then gave out a map at the start (it's a long walk) and gave my number so they could contact me when they got to town. I aim to do the same this time around. I included stops in 'areas' for lunch and a rest.
    Your are free to come and go, with or without the kids, as you wish.

BTW: It ends at 6 the latest giving me time to get dinner/a rest before helping set up the Launch Location.

Going on what I arranged last year. We started at 12 or 1 and I made people aware of the vague route before the day, then gave out a map at the start (it's a long walk) and gave my number so they could contact me when they got to town. I aim to do the same this time around. I included stops in 'areas' for lunch and a rest.
    Your are free to come and go, with or without the kids, as you wish.

BTW: It ends at 6 the latest giving me time to get dinner/a rest before helping set up the Launch Location.

@SinisterDexter: are you happy to create the route for this year?

Sounds great, and so far it looks like I won't have de kids that weekend so should make it up in time for de photo walk.

Tips on where ye might usually overnight would be welcome (from those that normally do), as staying near the Red Cow area might not be convenient if the photo walk is in Dublin Zoo!

Cheers:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I would recommend staying as central as possible, the walk will most likely be city centre and the launch is on Camden Street, with drinks afterwards in that area.

So we're looking at having a raffle again this year. Anybody feel like donating a prize for it? As usual, all profits will go to charity.

BTW The book has gone to the printers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

So we're looking at having a raffle again this year. Anybody feel like donating a prize for it? As usual, all profits will go to charity.

BTW The book has gone to the printers

Ah you bet me to it;)

Ah you bet me to it;)

Feel free to help with this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Sent a photos last year and I'd love to do it again this year - is it too late to be part of it?

just-joe wrote: »
    Sent a photos last year and I'd love to do it again this year - is it too late to be part of it?

Sorry but yes. The book has gone to print. Feel free to come along to the launch night.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

@SinisterDexter: are you happy to create the route for this year?
    I am, but if anybody else wants to I'm quite happy to let them.
    Things I took into account last year:

Lunch/Dinner (aka: A sit down) Walking for 6 hours is no fun, and when you eventually get a seat at 6/7 you won't want to move. So I aimed for 2/3ish in Temple bar and said where we would meet at 3:30.

The Launch venue is Camden St. I booked some space in Against The Grain as it is only a few doors down from the Launch Venue. I aimed for 6 so that people could get food before the free wine. Also so I could get food before setting up the venue with others.

It will be dark near the end of the walk. I started by going past St. Pat's Cathedral and came back past it at the end. Photos in both light and dark.

They were really the only things I took into account and then marked out a map and printed several.

Anybody (Out of towners especially) have somewhere in particular they would like to photo?

So feel free to create a route, I probably won't until about a week/week-and-a-half beforehand.

Im happy to go where everybody else goes :) And I'm really looking forward to it, and am booking accommodation this wknd, so I can stay close to the Venue (Camden street somewhere I believe?)...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Theres a good few hotels, b+b's etc in that area so you shouldnt have a problem there.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sorry for introducing a totally different issue in this thread but ........

I had suggested selling an "e" version of the photobook at say 2-5 euro a copy of previous years, even "boxed sets" of multiple years etc. Its a low cost (from a production point of view) and potentially high income earner.

Is this a dead idea (already considered and discarded) or just forgotten?
    I've been given a heads-up about this idea: I designed the 2009 book.

The book was originally designed in Blurb's proprietary Photosmart software, and there was never a PDF version. That said, I still have all the photographs, and I have a copy of the finished book, so I've embarked on a project to re-create the 2009 book in PDF format.

If it can be used for the purpose you've described, great: you're welcome to it. If such a project never comes off, I'll still be happy to have a softcopy of the first published book I ever designed. :)

228021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've been given a heads-up about this idea: I designed the 2009 book.

The book was originally designed in Blurb's proprietary Photosmart software, and there was never a PDF version. That said, I still have all the photographs, and I have a copy of the finished book, so I've embarked on a project to re-create the 2009 book in PDF format.

If it can be used for the purpose you've described, great: you're welcome to it. If such a project never comes off, I'll still be happy to have a softcopy of the first published book I ever designed. :)

228021.jpg

If you do complete it can I buy the first soft copy - say 5 euro by Paypal?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have no idea how that's going to work. If it is made available for sale, it will be on the basis of all proceeds to SSF, same as the hardcopy.

There's also the question of the copyright owners. They contributed their photos for the purpose of a printed book; does that imply permission to produce and sell an e-book? I think that's a question for this community to work out, and if there's consensus, I'll be happy to make the PDF available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

If you do complete it can I buy the first soft copy - say 5 euro by Paypal?

Adrian, we are still trying to put together the whole boxset. The idea hasn't been ditched, but it's proving to be a little more detective work than initially expected. Whatever the outcome, we will communicate it, so be patient with us, please. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

....... so be patient with us.......

Me.

Be patient.

????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Still looking for prizes guys.....nothing is too small......bottle of wine,case of beer....5D mark III........we'll take anything!

Get in touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Sorry but yes. The book has gone to print. Feel free to come along to the launch night.

Ah no problem! Thanks anyway! Won't be able to get to the launch, I don't live in Ireland now, but if possible I'll buy a book?

Lunch/Dinner (aka: A sit down) Walking for 6 hours is no fun, and when you eventually get a seat at 6/7 you won't want to move. So I aimed for 2/3ish in Temple bar and said where we would meet at 3:30.

The Launch venue is Camden St. I booked some space in Against The Grain as it is only a few doors down from the Launch Venue. I aimed for 6 so that people could get food before the free wine. Also so I could get food before setting up the venue with others.

It will be dark near the end of the walk. I started by going past St. Pat's Cathedral and came back past it at the end. Photos in both light and dark.

They were really the only things I took into account and then marked out a map and printed several.

Anybody (Out of towners especially) have somewhere in particular they would like to photo?

So feel free to create a route, I probably won't until about a week/week-and-a-half beforehand.

Really sorry, but I have to ask here, as Im stuck with only one option at the moment with no parking:(

Does anyone know Camden street really well:p to tell me what B&B is good on that street, with parking facilities?? Or do ye know if the public car park near Albany House, 84 Harcourt street is affordable and safe?

Im travelling on my own, and dont like the idea of walking from a car park with bags at night to the b&b:(

No matter how much google-ing, im not finding any but Im not sure of where the venue is etc. Pls help:o

PS - I'd really like to get the chance to do some long shutter shots of lights and cars etc at night;) hint hint:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

City Centre parking is always going to be difficult if you are looking to park all day Saturday. You might concider looking slightly further afield, anywhere within a 3 mile limit of the city centre will just cost a €10 or so in a taxi back to the B&B. If you park further out you'll find free parking that will offset the cost of the taxi.

Or...

If you found a B&B on the Northeast side of the city (Raheny, Fairview, Clontarf, Killester area) you can get a bus into the PhotoWalk and I'll give you a lift back to the B&B after.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Q-Park beside Stephens Green has a few good deals for overnight parking if you pre-book it. 5pm - 10am for 6 euro, or 15 euro for 24 hours parking.

http://www.q-park.ie/ie/parking-with-q-park/our-parking-facilities/dublin/q-park-st-stephen's-green-/-royal-college-of-surge

Its not far at all from Camden Street (5 mins stroll) and in a nice part of town too.

OldGoat wrote: »
    City Centre parking is always going to be difficult if you are looking to park all day Saturday. You might concider looking slightly further afield, anywhere within a 3 mile limit of the city centre will just cost a €10 or so in a taxi back to the B&B. If you park further out you'll find free parking that will offset the cost of the taxi.

Or...

If you found a B&B on the Northeast side of the city (Raheny, Fairview, Clontarf, Killester area) you can get a bus into the PhotoWalk and I'll give you a lift back to the B&B after.

Thats very kind of you!! Appreciate that:)

Ive been considering staying out of town altogether, free parking at Bewleys, Red Cow and Ibis and all those places, plus its on the way home for me again. Will price them later when Im back from meeting.

The only thing is then Id have to travel the luas on my own at night and not sure how late that runs after our evening on Saturday night:D (Safety in numbers and all that..)

I will look at above places too @OldGoat. Thank you.

I'm happy with any route really and for you to plan it (thanks). Maybe include some area that'll have a market/stall sellers? Through Stephen's Green? I'm easy with any route. Happy to stroll around and capture the people, architecture, etc.

• Advertisement

Im happy to go where everybody else goes :) And I'm really looking forward to it, and am booking accommodation this wknd, so I can stay close to the Venue (Camden street somewhere I believe?)...

I stayed in The Morgan Hotel in Templebar before. Lovely hotel and they had parking (€10 a night or something).

Advertisement