Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

No

and of course, the internet responds:
    Dutch humour :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

No
    Got this from a sports bulletin I'm subscribed to... you'd think people would update their promo material!
    Attention: cyclists and triathletes!

Ever wished you could SPRINT as fast as Cipollini... CLIMB like Pantani... or TIME TRIAL like Lance Armstrong?

Then I reckon you’ll be interested in this...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No
    Maybe it's an ad from a pharmacological company looking to expand in the current economic climate...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No
    corny wrote: »

I was half way through that sentence before I realised the last word was not "reality"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No

That explains all the laying around. It's good that he's now fully separated from the charity, stepping down as chairman while remaining on the board seemed to be a pure PR move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Yes, but he's still great

So now it's just called "Live"? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

No
    I have the feeling that he is going to get into politics, he is ideal, he has mastered the lying in your face part and he is excellent in giving delusional speeches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

No
    The ****er L.A. is No. 3 on Strava on one of the runs I do, no getting rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    The ****er L.A. is No. 3 on Strava on one of the runs I do, no getting rid of him.

Report his run as suspicious due to previous doping!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    I suppose it will come as no surprise due to the arrogance of the man but it has been reported here: http://www.businessinsider.com/lance-armstrong-trying-to-settle-with-former-sponsor-2012-11 that Lances attorneys have attempted to settle the lawsuit with SCA Insurers and offered them $1 million!!! Which they laughed off (considering he owes them $11,000,000).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Ha, who knew, the Picture Upload service Mobli that he used to post that image is part owned by ...... Armstrong ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

No

The last cog in the 'con' wheel just fell off !!

/ie. evidence that he gave two fcuks about anybody all along

No
    would it be going too far to suggest his trolling pic would be similar to Bernie Madoff posing sitting on a pile of cash?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

would it be going too far to suggest his trolling pic would be similar to Bernie Madoff posing sitting on a pile of cash?!!

I think when we look back, it'll be seen as the beginning of the end. A Nero fiddling while Rome ...... kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The beginning of the end? Surely that happened the moment the USADA released the report?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    Walsh's new book out in time for Christmas. I'm liking the "it'll read like a detective thriller" line from the publishers.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/david-walsh-to-release-armstrong-book-seven-deadly-sins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

happytramp wrote: »
    Walsh's new book out in time for Christmas. I'm liking the "it'll read like a detective thriller" line from the publishers.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/david-walsh-to-release-armstrong-book-seven-deadly-sins

Surely the least surprising bit of "news" for some time! Looking forward to it all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    Spoof on McQuaids proposed hotline for cyclists

Quite like this esp the end

http://soundcloud.com/velocast/uci-doping-hotline

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DeadMan1

No
    happytramp wrote: »

I'm sure to buy it, but do you reckon there'll be anything new in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    DeadMan1 wrote: »
    I'm sure to buy it, but do you reckon there'll be anything new in it?

It'd be interesting to see what Walsh went through in his pursuit of Lance. He might have a few more people on the record now that weren't before. It'll surely be a rush job though unless he's been sitting on it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

did half hear that one of our esteemed members will be on Newstalk this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

No
    uberwolf wrote: »
    did half hear that one of our esteemed members will be on Newstalk this evening?

Herr-Doktor McGrane was on Off the Ball (around 7.38pm if that helps find it).

Not sounding mad positive about the idea of getting a CI EGM, but hopeful about the UCI independent review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

No
    Action Bikes in the UK, book sale, Chasing Lance, Was: £8.99, Now: You choose the price
    Interesting to see how much people will pay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

No
    Action Bikes in the UK, book sale, Chasing Lance, Was: £8.99, Now: You choose the price
    Interesting to see how much people will pay :)

The £1 delivery is too much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    drogdub wrote: »

hmmmmmmmmmmm. is it?

any rider who says anything other than "it was patently f**king obvious" is being economical with the truth.

And any rider moaning about being under suspiscion after cycling turned some magical corner in 2006 is living in a dream world.

If these lads are clean the need to say.
    1. Yeah it was obvious to anyone especially us riding against the chap that he was doped to the gills.
    2. Fair enough if you think we were still doped to the gills, given that the entire sport was awash with drugs.

Anything other than that is mealy mouthed wishy washy doublespeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

hmmmmmmmmmmm. is it?

any rider who says anything other than "it was patently f**king obvious" is being economical with the truth.

And any rider moaning about being under suspiscion after cycling turned some magical corner in 2006 is living in a dream world.

1. Yeah it was obvious to anyone especially us riding against the chap that he was doped to the gills.
    2. Fair enough if you think we were still doped to the gills, given that the entire sport was awash with drugs.

Pete are you sure that people can always tell if others are doping? I presume you race so have you ever thought people you were racing wiith were clearly doping?

No
    hmmmmmmmmmmm. is it?

i take your highlighted point but bare in mind Cadel was speaking broadly about Armstrongs team more so than the man himself. If he comes out and says they were all doped to the back teeth, he leaves himself open for lawsuits by any clean members of that team during that era. It might be a small number but it's still a risk.

Even on boards.ie we can't as posters come on and accuse anybody of doping in the absence of a positive test. Which is quite right in one respect; it's not fair to have trial by internet or have aspersions cast upon people with no "proof". On the flip side it's that sort of logic and legal minefield which helped to enforce the Omerta over so many years. The fact people couldn't come out and publically voice suspicion or concerns about riders for fear of repercussions.

Cadel still has to tread carefully with his comments. Nobody, including Wiggo, Cav etc has come out with a sweepingly obvious statement like the one you think they should give. I could almost guarantee they are thinking along the same lines as you though.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    I would add that even if someone was pretty certain that someone else was doping, without irrefutable evidence it they would/will be taking risks exposing the individuals, as a doper could still successfully sue (as indeed Armstrong clearly did) - we are talking about a legal test that's typically "on the balance of probablilities" if someone sues for defamation, not "beyond reasonable doubt".

Advertisement