Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

No
    M three wrote: »
    The grey area with Messi though is if he used the HGH after the point where he needed it to grow to an average height.
    Some say he did and that it has given him an unfair advantage
    Messi is 5' 7"

The comparison here would be suggesting that Armstrong is a cheat for taking drugs while undergoing treatment for cancer. The bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Raymzor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    Just saw southpark, the writers are fecken genius! Even a nod to Emma O'Reilly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No
    this on the front of the Irish times website
    1224326122725.jpg
    from bonfire night in the UK. 10m high :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

kenmc wrote: »
    this on the front of the Irish times website

from bonfire night in the UK. 10m high :)

I don't know if that's the same effigy but there was one of him wearing a "Jim fixed it for me" medal

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spokesman

No
    Documentary on ESPN Classic tonight at ten 0 clock about Armstrong & doping scandal , Ligget and a few more are interviewed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

The grey area with Messi though is if he used the HGH after the point where he needed it to grow to an average height.
    Some say he did and that it has given him an unfair advantage.

Its still nowhere near the LA scale though.
    Reekwind wrote: »
    Messi is 5' 7"

The comparison here would be suggesting that Armstrong is a cheat for taking drugs while undergoing treatment for cancer. The bastard

Not sure what you mean.
    Messi needed HGH to grow to a decent height, but some say he continued using it beyond that point to give him an unfair advantage.
    If thats true, the comparison would be to say Lance used EPO to treat his cancer, but continued using it to boost his cycling ability

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

No
    Not sure what you mean.
    Messi needed HGH to grow to a decent height, but some say he continued using it beyond that point to give him an unfair advantage.
    If thats true, the comparison would be to say Lance used EPO to treat his cancer, but continued using it to boost his cycling ability

You said beyond the point of average height. It was pointed out to you that he is 5' 7" therefore he is of average height. I think that was the point being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    Enough messi-ing about, back on-topic. Remember the head of Skins wrote an open letter to McQuaid?

His lawyer has written a new one: http://s4.skins.net/docs/SKINS-vs-UCI-Patrick-McQuaid-Henricus-Verbruggen-20121102-EN.pdf
    Therefore, the acts and omissions by the UCI, Henricus Verbruggen respectively Patrick McQuaid have caused the prejudice SKINS now suffers, which prejudice exceeds the amount of USD 2,000,000, sum which the latter intends to recover through the Courts.

No
    Also, great article in today's Sunday Times by Walsh and his long fight to expose Armstrong.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    buffalo wrote: »
    Enough messi-ing about, back on-topic. Remember the head of Skins wrote an open letter to McQuaid?

His lawyer has written a new one: http://s4.skins.net/docs/SKINS-vs-UCI-Patrick-McQuaid-Henricus-Verbruggen-20121102-EN.pdf
    $2m claim against McQuaid, Vebruggen and the UCI on the grounds that they have damaged the Skins "brand". The Kimmage "initiative" is relatively tame in comparison

I presume that if the UCI goes under on the back of a claim of this magnitude there is no comeback on the National Federations (otherwise they would be taking CI with them!!). I hope everyone's got adequate insurance in place (although if Skns succeed I am sure there will be a queue of others with similar claims - indeed "clean" riders could potentially have a case if negligence is proven on the part of the "defendants" given their loss of earning potential as a result of proven dopers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    It's getting funny now. Though I seriously doubt that the request for $2M
    (or even any) damages is going to stick. And if they are looking for an early settlement sure UCI have no money according to PMcQ. Still, if it is more to heap on them then that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

No

I see his lawyer is one Cédric Aguet, same as Paul Kimmage.

Nice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    Have any disappointed fans taken a class action ?

What of all the people who placed bets on the results of the tour ?

And the people who bought the books ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    Beasty wrote: »
    $2m claim against McQuaid, Vebruggen and the UCI on the grounds that they have damaged the Skins "brand". The Kimmage "initiative" is relatively tame in comparison

I presume that if the UCI goes under on the back of a claim of this magnitude there is no comeback on the National Federations (otherwise they would be taking CI with them!!). I hope everyone's got adequate insurance in place (although if Skns succeed I am sure there will be a queue of others with similar claims - indeed "clean" riders could potentially have a case if negligence is proven on the part of the "defendants" given their loss of earning potential as a result of proven dopers

You can't insure against an expectation to gain something in the future so I'd guess that any such claims would be hard pushed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    You can't insure against an expectation to gain something in the future so I'd guess that any such claims would be hard pushed.
    Claims from individuals could be for loss of earnings, and from businesses for damage to brand image as well as loss of earnings. I would imagine either could hold up in a Court of Law, and hence if insurance does not cover any such claims (bearing in mind these will not be policies under Irish law) then the UCI and individuals against whom the claims are made would have to pay out (to the extent they have the assets to do so) in the event that a case is successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    Maybe UCI could sue Armstrong and other riders listed in USADA report if they loose income then or are made to by the SKINS case ??/

And they could even use the same lawyer

No
    MPFG wrote: »
    Maybe UCI could sue Armstrong and other riders listed in USADA report if they loose income then or are made to py for SKINS case ??/
    I wish they would, but bet they wouldn't dare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

No
    Here's the kicker though - he's amassed $125 million. If he loses even worst case $100 million he'll have $25 million to show for his cheating and bullying. And no doubt future career options like books, film projects etc. Cheats do prosper apparently.

His net worth is $125m, that doesn't mean he is $125m liquid. Take his properties, cars and other investment portfolio into account I'd say he has nowhere near that amount. The result being a court case looking for circa $12m back could well hit him hard. Wouldn't surprise me to see a firesale of assets. Keep an eye out for Trek or tailwind sports shares, they may be going cheap soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    iregk wrote: »
    His net worth is $125m, that doesn't mean he is $125m liquid. Take his properties, cars and other investment portfolio into account I'd say he has nowhere near that amount. The result being a court case looking for circa $12m back could well hit him hard. Wouldn't surprise me to see a firesale of assets. Keep an eye out for Trek or tailwind sports shares, they may be going cheap soon.

Oh yeah sorry i wasn't suggesting he has $125 million cash sitting in a Swiss bank or under his pillow :) He may well end up filing for bankrupcy protection in the not-too-distant future.

His deafening silence since all this is obviously the result of legal advice to say nothing.

• Advertisement

No
    ah now, you can't really blame Lance for that!

Oh...I thought we were blaming Lance for everything ....mustn't have got the memo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Back to Skins

Quote from Fuller:
    The sport needs the equivalent of a barium enema to get this out
    ... and I know a very good doctor who could administer it;)

No
    I'm not sure which thread to post stuff in anymore... :(

McQuaid moves to set up independent probe into Lance Armstrong affair - http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling-pat-mcquaid-moves-to-set-up-independent-probe-into-lance-armstrong-affair-3286608.html

No
    Well it's not Skins, and it's not posted anywhere else yet that I can see - I think "technically" it rests better in the Armstrong thread though, so I'll move it there;)

EDIT - done

No

McQuaid moves to set up independent probe into Lance Armstrong affair - http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling-pat-mcquaid-moves-to-set-up-independent-probe-into-lance-armstrong-affair-3286608.html

Like the contrast between the Independent's "John Coates, president of the Court of Arbitration for Sport" and Cyclismas:
    “We’ve been happy to partner with our old friend, John Coates, who has a history of making unpopular decisions. He was the man who said Australia should still go to Moscow for the Olympics there, he was also the gent who was involved in the Beijing bribery scandal in 1993."

http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/11/uci-announce-stakeholders-in-consultation-exercise/

• Advertisement

No

McQuaid moves to set up independent probe into Lance Armstrong

When I read that I thought we were still talking about

"The sport needs the equivalent of a barium enema to get this out"

Advertisement