Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Division 7 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ugh, definitely my worst performance so far, and if I was up against any other winning team I'd be done by now, but Damascus Rebels has been almost as disappointing as me so that, even with just 38 points racked up, a good performance tonight from Rivers might see me over the line without my starting RBs or TE. Fingers crossed, but Old Irish Patriot is looking pretty good for topping our division, he has too much strength on the bench.

I actually thought my bench is terrible, apart from Gresham/Palmer none of them are regular starters. Edelman has been injured twice and Hankerson plays but only racked up decent points in 1 game this season.

I also have 2 kickers because I needed to cover Hanson bye week.

It's Gore and Richardson that has been carrying me tbh, apart from this week where they only got 5 a piece, Kenny Britt and Denarius Moore saved my ass :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

a good performance tonight from Rivers

Well so much for that. Was looking really good at half time though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Anybody interested in a trade for either Ponder or Fitzpatrick for a good RB?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Right. I'm going to off load LeSean McCoy. Give me your best offers!

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Anybody interested in a trade for either Ponder or Fitzpatrick for a good RB?

See above. I'd offer Fitzpatrick. If you throw in someone else.

• Advertisement

See above. I'd offer Fitzpatrick. If you throw in someone else.

Nope I wouldn't be interested in that trade. I have Cutler and Ryan at QB so I'm well set. If you threw in Demaryius Thomas & Jones Drew I'd be interested. I'm looking for WRs, RBs or TEs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ah Jesus lads, we need to get real if we want trades to happen - Fitzpatrick, a middle-of-the-road QB2 for a RB1? Top quality RBs are the most valuable commodity in fantasy (outside PPR where elite WRs start to sneak into consideration) and QBs would be one of the least valuable in trades outside the elite players.

And to that the counter offer of Demaryius Thomas and Jones-Drew for McCoy is equally silly, that's a RB1 for another pretty much equal RB1 as well as a very solid WR1.

In three words: lower your expectations.

Syferus wrote: »
    Ah Jesus lads, we need to get real if we want trades to happen - Fitzpatrick, a middle-of-the-road QB2 for a RB1? Top quality RBs are the most valuable commodity in fantasy (outside PPR where elite WRs start to sneak into consideration) and QBs would be one of the least valuable in trades outside the elite players.

And to that the counter offer of Demaryius Thomas and Jones-Drew for McCoy is equally silly, that's a RB1 for another pretty much equal RB1 as well as a very solid WR1.

In three words: lower your expectations.

I realised that his offer wasn't the best but I'm hardly going to come out and say that and my counter offer is probably asking a bit much but sure it's all part of bargaining. Your post was a bit condescending too. It's just a bit of fun.

irish_man wrote: »
    I realised that his offer wasn't the best but I'm hardly going to come out and say that and my counter offer is probably asking a bit much but sure it's all part of bargaining. Your post was a bit condescending too. It's just a bit of fun.

It's not meant to be condescending.

One of the major problems in most leagues tends to be owners incredibly over-value their players and not even considering trades that are clearly to both sides' advantage in accepting. People in the main are too precious about their drafted players and I know I have to actively fight that turtling urge and consider trades on their own merits, but I see alot of people that never get that far even when their seasons are obviously tanking.

Alot of people don't even both to counter opening bids and just cancel directly which only serves to highlight the issue.

A league that has an active trade market makes for a hell of alot more fun than a league with 16 islands unto themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Just because one person thinks a trade might be silly doesn't mean it can't/shouldn't go ahead. Only one person can decide what's best for their team and that's the owner. Criticising trade proposals as 'silly' doesn't contribute as much as explaining alternatives.

• Advertisement

Gona absolutely scrape another W as long as Hanson kicks a few points. Absolute miracle that I'll most likely be going 6-1.

Tristram wrote: »
    Just because one person thinks a trade might be silly doesn't mean it can't/shouldn't go ahead. Only one person can decide what's best for their team and that's the owner. Criticising trade proposals as 'silly' doesn't contribute as much as explaining alternatives.

The trade wasn't going to happen either way because both sides' ideas of what they wanted were so far away. Hence why it was 'silly'.

It is very much in everyone's interests that it's understood the only reliable and workable way to make trades happen is making offers that even remotely hint at some value for the other party. At some point you have to do more than low-ball to an extreme degree. Trying to fleece the other party may work if you get someone who doesn't know the value of certain players but those teams are usually the ones that spend the season inactive.

It's to everyone's advantage to be more realistic.

The trade wasn't going to happen either way because both sides' ideas of what they wanted were so far away. Hence why it was 'silly'.

It is very much in everyone's interests that it's understood the only reliable and workable way to make trades happen is making offers that even remotely hint at some value for the other party. At some point you have to do more than low-ball to an extreme degree. Trying to fleece the other party may work if you get someone who doesn't know the value of certain players but those teams are usually the ones that spend the season inactive.

It's to everyone's advantage to be more realistic.

You are being patronising mate. And your attitude will only have a negative impact on an active trade market. We didn't ask for advice on the trade.

We both put out initial offers, most likely testing the water. Irish_man may have desperately needed a QB or I may have been desperate to get rid of MJD. You say McCoy is one of the top RBs yet Irish_man, for whatever reason, put him on the trade block. And as far as I am concerned he's having a bad season (at least for him) while Fitzpatrick is having a good season (at least fantasy points-wise). Pretty much what tristram is saying. It's all subjective.

You are being patronising mate. And your attitude will only have a negative impact on an active trade market. We didn't ask for advice on the trade.

We both put out initial offers, most likely testing the water. Irish_man may have desperately needed a QB or I may have been desperate to get rid of MJD. You say McCoy is one of the top RBs yet Irish_man, for whatever reason, put him on the trade block. And as far as I am concerned he's having a bad season (at least for him) while Fitzpatrick is having a good season (at least fantasy points-wise). Pretty much what tristram is saying. It's all subjective.

Not when it comes to QBs, to be honest.

Because they can only be played at one position and there being so many starting QBs compared to spots available to play them their value in the mid-range is alot less than a comparatively scoring RB. Even most WR2s would be more valuable than a Fitzpatrick. Most people recognise that instinctually but never get as far as to boiling it down to the why.

The reason I'm saying all this is because it's better for people to be coming in with realistic expectations. Sometimes you might be able to fleece someone but that's rare scenario in my experience as most players will place undue value on their own players. The aborted trade attempt above was only an illustration for my greater point.

As this is D7, and hence is more likely to have a greater portion of new or inexperienced players, getting this 'patronising advice' now rather than learning the same through years of experiencing it first-hand is a good thing for players and definitely a good thing for an active trade market. I wouldn't be bothering with this if I didn't care about contributing to a better league.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Gona absolutely scrape another W as long as Hanson kicks a few points. Absolute miracle that I'll most likely be going 6-1.

With Cunning Stunts pretty much certain to lose this week, and with me having already beaten Wicklow Redskins (before Forte has even had a run out and with Graham injured...gotta be happy with that) you now have the best record in the league. Don't worry though, we'll be playing in Week 10.

EDIT: Also I was more than happy with Weedon who I drafted in because Rivers is on a bye and Locker is still out. He was great. Might even keep him...

Not when it comes to QBs, to be honest.

Because they can only be played at one position and there being so many starting QBs compared to spots available to play them their value in the mid-range is alot less than a comparatively scoring RB. Even most WR2s would be more valuable than a Fitzpatrick. Most people recognise that instinctually but never get as far as to boiling it down to the why.

The reason I'm saying all this is because it's better for people to be coming in with realistic expectations. Sometimes you might be able to fleece someone but that's rare scenario in my experience as most players will place undue value on their own players. The aborted trade attempt above was only an illustration for my greater point.

As this is D7, and hence is more likely to have a greater portion of new or inexperienced players, getting this 'patronising advice' now rather than learning the same through years of experiencing it first-hand is a good thing for players and definitely a good thing for an active trade market. I wouldn't be bothering with this if I didn't care about contributing to a better league.

As you continue to patronise....

Lions shut out by Bears...FML

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SanSouci

Lions shut out by Bears...FML

Woot! Sneaky wins are always sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Another week, another performance that emulates the magnificient Cleveland Browns. My Cousin Vince is now 1-6, the same as their heroes.

Need to shake up my team I reckon. Cam isn't really hitting the heights for me and my RB's, apart from AP just aren't doing it.

I'll be putting Witten and Keller up on the trade block once Kellers bye week is done and will trade one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Nice start for me last night with doug Martin and Mike Williams!! Over 40 points already!!

• Advertisement

Just went 7-2, but 2 really big weeks coming up, Terenure Red Stars this week and Cunning Stunts next :pac:

Yeah ours should be a good match up alright. Cunning Stunts put 125 points on the board, ridiculous score to rack up (although Lucks Colts scored 165! Must be amking some great moves on the waiver wire). Our division is going to be a very tough one indeed. I have yourself and Nothing to Envy the next two weeks, while Lucks Colts looks to have two slightly easier match ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Yeah ours should be a good match up alright. Cunning Stunts put 125 points on the board, ridiculous score to rack up (although Lucks Colts scored 165! Must be amking some great moves on the waiver wire). Our division is going to be a very tough one indeed. I have yourself and Nothing to Envy the next two weeks, while Lucks Colts looks to have two slightly easier match ups.
    That 165 is mainly thanks to Douglas Martin and the chargers defence! Imagine what it could have been had Brady not been on a bye!! My WR's now are completely different to what I started with: Hartline, Williams, Donald Jones and Hestor against Blackmon, James Jones, Heyword-Bey and I can't remember the other now! Obviously wish I had of kept James Jones but not to be! I've also had a number of other WR's in and out through the year!!
    If I can win the following weekend (without Marshawn Lynch) then I think I have a chance of getting into the playoff hunt!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    That 165 is mainly thanks to Douglas Martin and the chargers defence! Imagine what it could have been had Brady not been on a bye!! My WR's now are completely different to what I started with: Hartline, Williams, Donald Jones and Hestor against Blackmon, James Jones, Heyword-Bey and I can't remember the other now! Obviously wish I had of kept James Jones but not to be! I've also had a number of other WR's in and out through the year!!
    If I can win the following weekend (without Marshawn Lynch) then I think I have a chance of getting into the playoff hunt!

Even at this stage I'd be surprised if you aren't in the playoffs. Am I right to say you just have to be in the top 2 in your division to be guaranteed a place? And then how many others get through?
    I'm in another league where, like you, I've picked up an almost totally different team since the draft. That's mainly because my computer kept crashing during the draft though, so that I lost the first four games in a row, keeping me at no.1 in waiver priority week after week (which I think is a better system than the one in boards personally). Ended up getting jason Witten last week when someone accidentally dropped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kai_Dante

Left 60 points on the bench last week which would have won me my game. I'm looking for a new TE if anyone is looking to offload one make me an offer.

Kai_Dante wrote: »
    Left 60 points on the bench last week which would have won me my game. I'm looking for a new TE if anyone is looking to offload one make me an offer.

I'm willing to offload Jermaine Gresham now that Gronks bye week has been and gone. Pretty consistent scorer and it's a shame to have him on my bench. Not sure what I need in return, gimme an offer and I'll see what I can do.

Offered you Myers in exchange for Lance Moore. Moore is not great but my WR options are very limited since Antonio Brown is now injured. Not doing much better at RB, where Donald Brown is also injured, in all likelihood.

OK, in trouble now. Both Donnie Avery and Donald Brown are questionable for TONIGHT. I have no WR backup at all because Antonio Brown is out too. And while I do have Daniel Thomas to step in for D Brown it all just looks...worrying. I need big games from Rivers, Forte and Graham, especially if Avery is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kai_Dante

Appreciate the offers on the TE issue but decided to just pick up Dresseen instead as I'm to cautious to let anyone go with the injuries and bye weeks I have.

• Advertisement

Kai_Dante wrote: »
    Appreciate the offers on the TE issue but decided to just pick up Dresseen instead as I'm to cautious to let anyone go with the injuries and bye weeks I have.

Fair enough, but I think you'll regret not taking one of those two. I'd back Myers to maintain a consistently higher score than earlier in the year (maybe not 17 points every week). In fact, if anyone wants to swap him for a half decent WR (and he doesn't have to be too spectacular at all, just better than what's on the waiver wire), I'm open to offers.

Advertisement