Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update tipped for August 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Media999 wrote: »
    No one knows really. Educated guess would be a few weeks.

nah it should be this weekend i would guess...for the ota anyway.
    network specific updates could be a while... probably a month or so, depending on the network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Tardis wrote: »
    When will the official Jelly bean download be available to everyone??
    I'm holding out for the official OTA too. Hopefully we'll get it soon.

I took my old Galaxy S1 out of the drawer last night and flashed JB on (HellyBean). Impressive so far but not really had a chance to push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Only have my s3 a week so I'll have to get used to it all again ha. I think the water ripple effect is gone from the unlock screen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Tardis wrote: »
    Only have my s3 a week so I'll have to get used to it all again ha. I think the water ripple effect is gone from the unlock screen

Still there for me, perhaps its an option, haven't gone through all the options yet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Does Jellybean fix the homescreen redraw/ lag issue?

I turned off double tap for s voice but the issue remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Does Jellybean fix the homescreen redraw/ lag issue?

I turned off double tap for s voice but the issue remains.

It does on mine anyway. No lag or redraw. Pretty much instant.

I find the battery charges faster and lasts a bit longer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi Wayne,

How did you upgrade to JB? I was waiting for the official update but there's still no sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi Wayne,

How did you upgrade to JB? I was waiting for the official update but there's still no sign of it.

Go to this page:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

and follow the instructions. You'll need to download the latest firmware from that page (about 700mb zipped) and the latest version of Odin, which is software that allows you to mess around with the inner workings of the S3.

I've done it a few times in the last month, but I'm still relatively new to it, so someone else on here might be able to help you better.

The whole process (once you've installed Odin and downloaded JB) only takes about 5 minutes. You should back up your phone content first (I used Kies for this). Following the method shouldn't wipe your phone, but just back up in case. If you change the CSC (which you don't really need to do) that WILL wipe your phone.

From what I can make out, changing the CSC will allow you to connect and update in future either OTA or through Kies. My understanding (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that if you update using Odin to JB and don't change the CSC, then your only option for future updates is also through Odin. That's not an issue for most people, but if you would like to be able to update through Kies or OTA at some stage, you will need to change the CSC (which is kind of like a regional code on a DVD) to UK or Ireland. And doing that will perform a factory rest, so backing up is essential.

After updating the FM using Odin, you will still be able to connect your S3 to Kies and do a restore if you need: Kies will still recognise your phone. But it won't allow an update through Kies unless your phone has the right CSC setting first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Also when you install jellybean all your apps etc. are still there so dont worry about losing anything. Its perfectly safe and id assume millions have already installed it. Its an official release just not in this country.

• Advertisement

UNLESS YOU HAVE LBE PRIVACY GUARD

ahem...

works grand in ICS but causes boot loop in JB.

uninstall first and then reinstall using the translated newer version from here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1422479

danniemcq wrote: »
    UNLESS YOU HAVE LBE PRIVACY GUARD

ahem...

works grand in ICS but causes boot loop in JB.

uninstall first and then reinstall using the translated newer version from here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1422479

Is that App any good? can i even install it now that ive upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If i flash with mobile odin does it cause a wipe, i can't remember :/ (upgrading from JB leak)

i only ever had redraw issues when i used a memory killer..and i only did that to experiment with stuff..i found it slowed the system rather than improved it as phone, etc are handy to have in memory or they take a while to reload. the reason that its needs to redraw is because the homescreen or whatever is there is killed from memory so other apps etc can use said extra memory. simple as
    i guess if you have a load of apps it would cause it.

im wondering atm how easy/hard it would be to upgrade the phones ram to 2gb. also cost ofc :)

Chet T16 wrote: »
    If i flash with mobile odin does it cause a wipe, i can't remember :/ (upgrading from JB leak)

Mine kept everything intact. If its just apps etc you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Flashed my first android phone last night. :D

On the latest (polish) Jelly Bean fw now, seems pretty smooth although I did have to go back to stock Touchwiz launcher rather than Nova. Nova seemed noticeably slower (like it was refreshing folders and apps when swiping between screens.

Media999 wrote: »
    Is that App any good? can i even install it now that ive upgraded?

Its a fantastic app, especially if you are wary of some permissions.

You'll be promted everytime an app requests a permission and can deny or approve once off or remember your selection.

If you follow the link in my above post to the XDA site you'll get the links at the bottom of the first post. Just download the apk to your phone or your pc and transfer it over.

You should have no issues with the install after an update (i was on flashed JB when i installed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Hi,

I'm about to install JB on my 2 week old S3, seems easy from what I've read.

In the (hopefully) unlikely event of an issue, or if I needed to bring my phone back to Meteor or anything, is there a way to backup the current ROM, or do I just use a stock one from the same website which I got the Polish JB ROM?.

Thanks!

yeah its grand and easy, as for returning it, yes.
    traingle away and just flash the meteor default firmware (its on xda forums also)
    pretty much the same as how you flash the custom rom, you just need to root, run triangle away (makes the counter which shows how many times you flashed custom firmware) and unroot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Flashed my first android phone last night. :D

On the latest (polish) Jelly Bean fw now, seems pretty smooth although I did have to go back to stock Touchwiz launcher rather than Nova. Nova seemed noticeably slower (like it was refreshing folders and apps when swiping between screens.
    Just saw this morning there is a beta version of Nova which fixes the page refresh problem on Jellybean. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Anyone know when meteor will push through this update?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Seems its not out yet and could be a while. I'd use the polish version on xda if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Im in trouble here folks, ive updated to polish jellybean no probs but changed the csc to the wrong one and now the phone is some eastern language. Which is the correct csc to use?

The following are my choices:
    ALB, BGL, CM, COA, CYO, CYV, ERO, EUR, MSR, ORL, ORS, SEB, SEE, TMT, TOP, TRA, TSR, TWO, VIM, VVT, XEH, XEO, XEZ, XSK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Im in trouble here folks, ive updated to polish jellybean no probs but changed the csc to the wrong one and now the phone is some eastern language. Which is the correct csc to use?

The following are my choices:
    ALB, BGL, CM, COA, CYO, CYV, ERO, EUR, MSR, ORL, ORS, SEB, SEE, TMT, TOP, TRA, TSR, TWO, VIM, VVT, XEH, XEO, XEZ, XSK

Can you wipe it and re flash? Then select English

Ok finally did it. Impressed with smoothness of everything. Google Now is great. Had a GN/Siri off with OH. I won most of the search type questions, but lost out on anything integrated with apps such as 'where am I' still love it overall.

ArthurG wrote: »
    Ok finally did it. Impressed with smoothness of everything. Google Now is great. Had a GN/Siri off with OH. I won most of the search type questions, but lost out on anything integrated with apps such as 'where am I' still love it overall.

at least u got it sorted. the correct csc is BTU but its not in the polish release, hence why its the polish release and not the uk or whatever one you installed.
    im very surprised it hasnt been released at this stage. rediculous really

I didn't bother changing the CSC myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Appears to be here now. And I'm on three, thought it would take even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cococcini

It looks like there's an official Jelly Bean update for 3 today...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lukester wrote: »
    Appears to be here now. And I'm on three, thought it would take even longer.
    Good news! Now to see about o2

Advertisement