Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update tipped for August 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

danniemcq wrote: »
    Scotty # wrote: »
    That's not new.

is for me! unless i had it disabled before and this turned it back on

It is new for us. Three never gave that update until now. Let's hope it's them getting up to date for jelly bean. Hopefully we won't be waiting ages for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    It is new for us. Three never gave that update until now. Let's hope it's them getting up to date for jelly bean. Hopefully we won't be waiting ages for that too.

:confused: I have a Three SGS3 and mine's always had the brightness slider on the notification bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

:confused: I have a Three SGS3 and mine's always had the brightness slider on the notification bar...

Did you get the minor update yesterday?

Has the stock browser changed (added fwd and back arrows beside the address bar)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yes got the update, but always had the slider. 100% certain on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes got the update, but always had the slider. 100% certain on that.

Defo didn't have the slider, not on the notification area anyway.
    Not that it's a major benefit either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Meteor/eMobile still on ALF2 - no update available. No slider in notifications bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Meteor/eMobile still on ALF2 - no update available. No slider in notifications bar.

The slider is nothing special anyway. I use an app to control brightness I find it much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

plug your phone into a pc, install kies on it.
    update.
    that will get you to the latest version before jellybean, which is gonna be another ~1-2 weeks i reckon...
    custom csc testing is in play at the minute.
    testing before this was around 2 weeks so i reckon the same timespan for that +final testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

If i left the brightness all the way up before it used to drain the battery really quick.

Now it doesnt after the update

Does anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I unlocked my S3 the other way with galaxsim I think it was called.
    Tempted now to upgraded to JB 4.1 and wondering if I'll have to unlock my phone again? And will the unlock work on jelly bean?

* worked fine actually:) now on 4.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

kenyard wrote: »
    plug your phone into a pc, install kies on it.
    update.
    that will get you to the latest version before jellybean, which is gonna be another ~1-2 weeks i reckon...
    custom csc testing is in play at the minute.
    testing before this was around 2 weeks so i reckon the same timespan for that +final testing.

I have a GS3 with Three and the update auto-downloaded and tried to install last night. However it then crashed 34% into the reinstallation. No reason stated.

So I plugged it into a USB, but Kies doesn't work on the computer. It worked to upgrade the GS2 to ICS. It just comes up "Kies has stopped working", even after I downloaded Kies 2.0.

Any suggestions? Other threads seem to suggest it's something to do with .NET 4.0 or summat.

Have you actually installed .NET 4?

I assume you have if it did work at some stage.

Uninstall and reinstall Kies.

I think theres some way of doing it with sdcard but never needed to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I've been in DLI8 for about a week now, and the phone seems really stable and slick.

The only thing that seems to be not quite what I expected is Google Now. I know the leaks aren't the real-deal, but can anyone else using the JB leak get Google Now to fully work?

It'll give me weather, navigation and show the next calendar event no hassle. But I can't get it to send a text. It understands my accent pretty well (as good if not better than s voice) so I don't think it's an accent thing. If I try to send a text it does a google search for the phrase.

Is this happening on for ye as well?

yeah i hafnt had it working on the leaks actually now you point it out... i remember doing it, but that was when i was running ics, i installed it then.
    since im testing jellybean roms its there, but only the functions you mentioned.
    when i first installed the GN apk when i double tapped home button, it gave me the choice to use google now or svoice...

kenyard wrote: »
    yeah i hafnt had it working on the leaks actually now you point it out... i remember doing it, but that was when i was running ics, i installed it then.
    since im testing jellybean roms its there, but only the functions you mentioned.
    when i first installed the GN apk when i double tapped home button, it gave me the choice to use google now or svoice...

I find that what it does, it does really well. It has no trouble understanding what I say, but it just can't do the things I thought it would do.

It doesn't have device specific functions like s voice, where you can tell it to turn on bluetooth, for example. And maybe Samsung won't let it have that level of integration. But it's a pity it can't send a text, because I find that it understands my accent better than s voice. I've sent texts using s voice, but most of the time it gets some part of the text wrong. I find GN understands what I'm saying pretty much 100% of the time.

I've been in DLI8 for about a week now, and the phone seems really stable and slick.

The only thing that seems to be not quite what I expected is Google Now. I know the leaks aren't the real-deal, but can anyone else using the JB leak get Google Now to fully work?

It'll give me weather, navigation and show the next calendar event no hassle. But I can't get it to send a text. It understands my accent pretty well (as good if not better than s voice) so I don't think it's an accent thing. If I try to send a text it does a google search for the phrase.

press and hold the menu button no?

Media999 wrote: »

press and hold the menu button no?

Nah, that makes no difference.

I was just wondering if it's an issue with the leaked versions or whether it's happening only to me. Looks like it's not just me. So hopefully in the final version it will work. Maybe Samsung are crippling it cos they see it as competition for s voice, but I hope they put it in the final release and let the user decide which works best.

as i said. i installed the apk and when i pressed the home button twice which brings up that hi galaxy thing, it gave me a choice.
    my guess is there is an option somewhere.. or there was..
    i dunno will it have the same amount of integration as svoice.. i cant see why it wouldnt.. since android works esentially the same way on all phones, and touchwiz is just a UI, it should be made able to work things like turn on bluetooth, mobile data etc on most phones i would guess no...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Should have this shortly so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

According to a thread on XDA-Developers, the update is available on Kies for several versions. The download weighs in at 774MB. XDA users who tried it confirmed that the file is indeed the official Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy S3 and fully functional. The CSCs (consumer software customization) available are: ALB, BGL, CMF, COA, CYO, CYV, ERO, EUR, MSR, ORL, ORS, SEB, SEE, TMT, TOP, TRA, TSR, TWO, VIM, VVT, XEH, XEO, XEZ, XSK

Other countries to get the update are Croatia and Macedonia.

i assume we are EUR...
    no idea though... will dl and flash later i guess. am already running jellybean so no real rush anyways.. just be nice to get on an official stock firmware :)

CSC is BTU here no?

Not seeing an upgrade via kies for my meteor gs3

This link seems to say that JB works for UK too.

hmm

kaimera wrote: »
    CSC is BTU here no?

Not seeing an upgrade via kies for my meteor gs3

no idea.. thats kinda why i was asking :P

EDIT: and yes you can install the above or any version on your phone... apaprently because its the polish one its missing some stuff like flipboard etc...or something like that anyway... other comments were it might make ur sms app crash and stuff too.. not really sure.. since it says its uk also it shud be fine.
    will wait on a BTU one so i guess.. strange why uk and stuff arent first on priorities

I took the plunge and installed XXDLIB and its working a charm. Not missing flipboard or any other apps, none that I have noticed anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'm using XXLG8 on mine that I got from the stock Rom thread on xda. It doesnt seem to show the an update as of yet. It seemed to be the most recent at the time i installed it.

Does anyone know if i am ok to get the upgrade? Or is there a particular version that could be installed to get it quicker. Kies says that the version im on can only update ota

update ota first so i guess, then reconnect to kies and see if it lets you update further...

Jellybean is loose in Poland. Will be here soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Im using the last leaked version of Jelly bean, how do i get this release of it ? When I plug my phone into Kies it says my device does not support upgrading via Kies, I presume this is because im not on the the stock firmware anymore

Advertisement