Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update tipped for August 29th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

threein99 wrote: »
    Do I download one of the UK unbranded firmwares?
    I9300XXBLG8 UK

I had issues with my phone (ended up getting the mainboard replaced in it) and had tried flashing different fw versions to fix it.

Pretty certain that the one above will work no probs and kies will update then.

Again, it's been a while since I had to do it so at your own risk etc.

I will be trying it when its OTA for Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

flashed the official polish one with odin. its grand. and it was easy. didnt do that csc thing cos im not sure what its for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

emo72 wrote: »
    flashed the official polish one with odin. its grand. and it was easy. didnt do that csc thing cos im not sure what its for.

Same as me. Seems to be working very well. After a day of heavy use I'm at 17% battery and not a single fault to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Same as me. Seems to be working very well. After a day of heavy use I'm at 17% battery and not a single fault to report.

Same here.

Holy bloody sh"" the speed of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Updated mine with the polish version and keep getting an error for cloudsync...bloody annoying :mad:
    I had the previous leaked build DL12 of JB and it worked flawlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

anyone else having issues with samsung play?

tried to run it and got the "not supported in your country" message but now i get it opening when i plug it into the computer and a few other times through the day too.

danniemcq wrote: »

tried to run it and got the "not supported in your country" message but now i get it opening when i plug it into the computer and a few other times through the day too.
    Can't comment as I've frozen most of the sammy apps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Haven't noticed that, but Polaris Office from the Samsung app store won't open. Probably just needs an update

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

emo72 wrote: »

Did you have to change the radio/modem after flashing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I didn't do a search for your particular problem but I kept getting FC's when I opened the messaging app (after a fresh flash).

I re-flashed and the problem disappeared!
    Blazer wrote: »
    Updated mine with the polish version and keep getting an error for cloudsync...bloody annoying :mad:
    I had the previous leaked build DL12 of JB and it worked flawlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Sorry I am a convertee as of yesterday after 4 iphones, I have made the move to the GS 3. When can we expect Jelly Bean official release for Ireland, id like to flash my phone but I am not all that well up on all this Android speak...

Side note, the GS3 is awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Chong wrote: »
    Sorry I am a convertee as of yesterday after 4 iphones, I have made the move to the GS 3. When can we expect Jelly Bean official release for Ireland, id like to flash my phone but I am not all that well up on all this Android speak...

probably a few weeks by the time the carriers roll it out.
    I only moved myself last week back to Android after a few years absence and its' very straightforward to flash the S3 to JB.

Use the below link and follow the instructions...the poland version is perfectly ok to use. (very top of page)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

Extract the firmware (you'll have the image approx 800mb and Odin which is the software used to flash the phone)
    Open the included Odin 3.04
    Turn off your device
    Put your device into Download MODE (Home + Volume Down + Power- Select Volume up to confirm and enter download mode) and attach to PC (make sure you have samsung kies installed as it contains the usb drivers for the S3)
    Click PDA and select *.tar.md5 (do not tick or untick any other box)
    Then finally click START!
    Takes approx 3 mins and it's a piece of cake :)

Chong wrote: »

welcome! its much nicer on this side!
    Blazer wrote: »
    probably a few weeks by the time the carriers roll it out.
    I only moved myself last week back to Android after a few years absence and its' very straightforward to flash the S3 to JB.

Use the below link and follow the instructions...the poland version is perfectly ok to use. (very top of page)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

Extract the firmware (you'll have the image approx 800mb and Odin which is the software used to flash the phone)
    Open the included Odin 3.04
    Turn off your device
    Put your device into Download MODE (Home + Volume Down + Power- Select Volume up to confirm and enter download mode) and attach to PC (make sure you have samsung kies installed as it contains the usb drivers for the S3)
    Click PDA and select *.tar.md5 (do not tick or untick any other box)
    Then finally click START!
    Takes approx 3 mins and it's a piece of cake :)

^^^^

pretty much this, the process is simple enough but looks very technical and every site/guide you look at has the warnings "do at yoor own rick we take no responsbility etc" but they are just covering their asses.

As long as you have the right boxes ticked and the right firmware downloaded (check the link above) and don't unplug your phone from the computer until everything is complete you'll be grand!

be warned though the xda forum isn't as well laid out as boards so sigs and avatars are a bit crazy but ignore them!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

yeah the versoin thats out isnt the BTU so samsung apps possibly arent supported.. the uk version should be out in coming days i guess.. keep an eye on the xda thread. i flashed the polish version and no issues. i was already on jellybeans latesst version and theres no change from dli8 i reckon...or little to none anyway.
    some apps wont work properly but thats because the app developers hafnt upgraded them yet i guess..

flash isnt supported as of jellybean, so make sure and install it before updating so you will still have it. then it will work in firefox still.
    since thiss change though im guessing a huge host of websites will migrate to html5 over the coming year since phone browsing is a huge market now and much easier hit adverts when using phones etc increasing their revenue...

enjoy jellybean all :)
    download takes a nice while. iv given up on kies after 2-3 months of having the phone. xda have everything as soon as its available lol.
    if you are on an unbranded phone i reckon the update willl be monday. if you are on a branded one, you could be waiting a month or more i reckon ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If I want to get the official JB update OTA for my phone, which version of the older software is best to put on it? I think that once it's available I might just use the standard version and use triangle away again to return it to stock.

If I want to get the official JB update OTA for my phone, which version of the older software is best to put on it? I think that once it's available I might just use the standard version and use triangle away again to return it to stock.
    The last fw release was LG8 with a LH1 modem update afterwards.

I think I'll flash that and then get the update via kies.

nice simple s3 rooting guide here for jelly bean

http://www.ibtimes /articles/387720/20120925/root-xxdlib-jellybean-galaxy-s3-i9300-cfroot.htm

NEVER MIND HAVING ISSUES AT MINUTE AFTER DOING THIS SO FOR TIME BEING DON'T TRY THIS!

I'VE EDITED THE LINK

does the chainfire v6.4 (i think) method not work on JB?

Right ran into an issue here, rooted it via the edited link above its .co.uk missing from the address if you want to check it out.

Phone now starts and get to app screen for a few seconds then reboots, and gets to apps screen and goes black and i have to pull out battery for anything to work again and then its starts the above process again.

Any ideas? I just flashed it for the jelly bean and as i say rooted via above way.

cheers

right its one of those days, google now not working for me, anytime i search it kicks me back to google.com

but using the horror that is yahoo and the slightly better bing i'm down to one of two options

1) factory reset (lose all data ... yes i am an idiot who didn't back up)

2) revert to earlier build of ICS this possibly keeping data intact (all i need is some time to back up some apps and data) and then do a proper factory reset.

Any ideas? or other options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Right ran into an issue here, rooted it via the edited link above its .co.uk missing from the address if you want to check it out.

Phone now starts and get to app screen for a few seconds then reboots, and gets to apps screen and goes black and i have to pull out battery for anything to work again and then its starts the above process again.

Any ideas? I just flashed it for the jelly bean and as i say rooted via above way.

cheers

right its one of those days, google now not working for me, anytime i search it kicks me back to google.com

but using the horror that is yahoo and the slightly better bing i'm down to one of two options

1) factory reset (lose all data ... yes i am an idiot who didn't back up)

2) revert to earlier build of ICS this possibly keeping data intact (all i need is some time to back up some apps and data) and then do a proper factory reset.

Any ideas? or other options?

• Advertisement

@dannie

If u reflash the LI8 release, you'll lose root but it might sort the issue?

According to XDA - the chainfire method works. Worst case u reflash JB again I guess. - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1695238 - check first 2 posts then scan last page(s) for JB comments

There 'shouldn't' be a loss of data

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

im rooted. the usual way via odin and the cf root thingy.
    takes 30 seconds.

and yeah as above post says. anything wrong, just reflash.
    is jellybean out on ota in ireland yet?

@kenyard - don't think so. I believe most of the JB folks are on the polish release from earlier this week

kaimera wrote: »
    @dannie

If u reflash the LI8 release, you'll lose root but it might sort the issue?

According to XDA - the chainfire method works. Worst case u reflash JB again I guess. - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1695238 - check first 2 posts then scan last page(s) for JB comments

There 'shouldn't' be a loss of data

hey i may have managed to fix it....

i had a look on reddit and noticed that someone mentioned that LBE privacy guard was the cause of their issue but different phone.

after a few boots i figured exactly where the LBE app was on the app screen and was able to get to it and uninstall it before it started up fully and since that no reboot!

backing up EVERYTHING now just incase!

and to think i was raving about LBE for months and it caused all this, horrible feeling seeing it reboot over and over! cheers kaimera though!

and to think i was raving about LBE for months and it caused all this, horrible feeling seeing it reboot over and over! cheers kaimera though!
    Could be worse.

I rooted and flashed a ****ty x8 to one of the CM9 releases.

At one stage i got a boot loop for about 20 mins while I tired to get a friend to copy a rom to a spare microSD card so i could try reflash.

The joys of Open Source eh?

Try and do something new and feck everything up but can fix it with a bit of effort and planning!

11pm after a day of heavy use and phone still has 47% battery. The S3 with JellyBean is officially the King.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

When will the official Jelly bean download be available to everyone??

• Advertisement

Tardis wrote: »
    When will the official Jelly bean download be available to everyone??

No one knows really. Educated guess would be a few weeks.

Advertisement