Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update tipped for August 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I'm on DLI2 still. Any reason to upgrade again?

I'd wait if I were you, get the official release and set it up the way you like it.
    Sam are gonna get this out before the IP5 next week, steal some thunder from the Fruit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Sam are gonna get this out before the IP5 next week
    Tipped to be October at the very earliest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

Nice, looks so good.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I have the latest leak on but i can't find the setting where i can put the phone on silent without vibration using the volume buttons. As it is it goes to silent with vibration. I'm sure i had to check some option before on ICS :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I have the latest leak on but i can't find the setting where i can put the phone on silent without vibration using the volume buttons. As it is it goes to silent with vibration. I'm sure i had to check some option before on ICS :/

If you long press the button on the right hand side as if you were turning off the phone the option is there. Dunno why it was changed from the volume control menu as was much handier there.

• Advertisement

s_carnage wrote: »

If you long press the button on the right hand side as if you were turning off the phone the option is there. Dunno why it was changed from the volume control menu as was much handier there.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah thats not near as handy, my complete sound management used to involve 3 taps up or 3 taps down and now its far more complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

DI6 is really really nice :)

unbelieveably smooth, theres little to no lag in pressing home button from applications (i have svoice disabled so may help there.
    apparently previous one had battery drain so waiting to see on that front as i only put it on last night but seemed to have normal overnight drop.
    still hafnt restored the ability to put phone on both silent or vibrate using just volume keys on side,
    nothing else major i have noticed. seems bugfree to me at the minute.
    still the usual 830Mb ram free now like the previous 6-7 updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

kenyard wrote: »
    DI6 is really really nice :)

unbelieveably smooth, theres little to no lag in pressing home button from applications (i have svoice disabled so may help there.
    apparently previous one had battery drain so waiting to see on that front as i only put it on last night but seemed to have normal overnight drop.
    still hafnt restored the ability to put phone on both silent or vibrate using just volume keys on side,
    nothing else major i have noticed. seems bugfree to me at the minute.
    still the usual 830Mb ram free now like the previous 6-7 updates

Will I still be able to restore to my ICS back up if I install this ?

if you do it right you wont lose anything i reckon ;)
    install via the ota method and not the easier larger file via odin.

• Advertisement

if you do it right you wont lose anything i reckon ;)
    install via the ota method and not the easier larger file via odin.

I was gonna use odin, how does that ota way work ?

well yeah its via odin aswell as clockworkmod recovery.
    this way is the easy way but when i did it, i had to do a wipe/data reset losing eveyrthing (which i restored ofc via titanium backup, so use that first)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1835931

this way is the OTA then
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1871338

i used this after and its been clean update each time, but maybe the fact i went from ics to jellybean in the first instance was what caused the issues anyway...i dont know. (i kept getting force close google.android.com and media.android.com or something)
    I have no idea why i had issues or what the difference is... tbh there shouldnt be issues either way imo..maybe it was just a once off or something

seems dli7 is out now too :P
    iv already flashed 4 versions, so the ota one if you are gonna keep checking new updates every so often is best bet as its only a 300mb file ontop of the lg8 (around 600)
    whereas the odin firmware is 800mb each time.

at this stage i wud nearly wait on the official one, as its only a week or so away i reckon. there are 0 bugs that i can see in these latest releases.
    daily releases fixing the last of any bugs..and its looking good. i will happily stay on current version even.

well yeah its via odin aswell as clockworkmod recovery.
    this way is the easy way but when i did it, i had to do a wipe/data reset losing eveyrthing (which i restored ofc via titanium backup, so use that first)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1835931

this way is the OTA then
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1871338

i used this after and its been clean update each time, but maybe the fact i went from ics to jellybean in the first instance was what caused the issues anyway...i dont know. (i kept getting force close google.android.com and media.android.com or something)
    I have no idea why i had issues or what the difference is... tbh there shouldnt be issues either way imo..maybe it was just a once off or something

seems dli7 is out now too :P
    iv already flashed 4 versions, so the ota one if you are gonna keep checking new updates every so often is best bet as its only a 300mb file ontop of the lg8 (around 600)
    whereas the odin firmware is 800mb each time.

at this stage i wud nearly wait on the official one, as its only a week or so away i reckon. there are 0 bugs that i can see in these latest releases.
    daily releases fixing the last of any bugs..and its looking good. i will happily stay on current version even.

Cheers, just flashed it, does seem very smooth, even by what it already was. 779mb of a download so I wont be using that method too often

Whats blocking mode ? I see it in the drop down menu

you can set it to block calls,texts etc.. or just even communications from individual people.
    you can customise it more in settings.

p.s settings is changed like crazy :P

you can set it to block calls,texts etc.. or just even communications from individual people.
    you can customise it more in settings.

p.s settings is changed like crazy :P

I will block all calls and texts on nights out so :cool:

It seems a bit brighter to me as well using the same setting as on ICS

unfortunately it doesnt stop the user from drexting :/ :P

i dunno what the major changes are tbh... theres a few thinsg like that. power savings mode is very customiseable now also i dont think it was before..

Is anyone else seeing a dramatic increase in battery life?

I came from a MCR ICS rom and i'm probably getting 30% longer out of it now

Is anyone else seeing a dramatic increase in battery life?

I came from a MCR ICS rom and i'm probably getting 30% longer out of it now

Seems about the same to me

threein99 wrote: »
    Seems about the same to me

Maybe i had an old radio version or something.

Yesterday I was up from 6:30 and put it on charge with 8% remaining at 23:30, i'd never has gotten that out of the ICS rom, i'd say i averaged 12 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There's a 93MB update downloading to my phone now... what could it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I'd imagine it's just one of the many ICS updates that have been released.

Yeah it's just the brightness slider and some changes to browser and weather widget from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You're right guys... still ICS 4.0.4...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

DarkBlonde wrote: »

I'd imagine it's just one of the many ICS updates that have been released.

Yeah it's just the brightness slider and some changes to browser and weather widget from what I can see.

Wife just updated hers but still doesent have the brightness slider... will try mine when its charged up.

Edit: you do get it in a way, you have to pull down the bar completely down and then set it. Where with the GS2 you could just move the top of the bar to the left of right to change it without the need to pull it all the way down.

Pity as that is what I was waiting for.
    Oh well at least I found an app that kinda gives me what Sammy won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,395 ✭✭✭✭kippy

mhge wrote: »
    You're right guys... still ICS 4.0.4...

Got that update as well, didnt notice a huge amount different afterwards tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

from what i've noticed in this minor upgrade is the brightness slider on the notification pull down, the stock browser is changed with forward and back buttons, twitter now crashes on opening (will try a reinstall of that later)

and very very minor change but very very annoying is when i'm writing a text message now and do a " " (space) and then a ? or any other punctuation.

Before it would remove the " " and move the ? one step to the left but now i get xxxxx ?

quite annoying then to fix your sentance especially without scroll buttons

sounds like you added that to your dictionary and thats what its predicting next is all...
    if you have a problem with keyboard switch and use a different one ;)

sounds like you added that to your dictionary and thats what its predicting next is all...
    if you have a problem with keyboard switch and use a different one ;)

doesn't seem to be that, was working fine this morning and now nope!

happens on all keyboards and inputs, and the double space after a word still gives the "."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

danniemcq wrote: »
    from what i've noticed in this minor upgrade is the brightness slider on the notification pull down,
    That's not new.

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    That's not new.

is for me! unless i had it disabled before and this turned it back on

Advertisement