Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update tipped for August 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

"Very soon" is the official word from Samsung....

That could mean anytime in the next 12 months IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I'm thinking they were all set to push that update out to the GS3. Yesterday but the crappple case made them change some things in touchwis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

What exactly will Jelly Bean do for the SIII?

Like will it be faster? Or have more features?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I thought the S3 shipped with JB preinstalled? Is this just an update on JB?

Sorry for the obvious question....I am very new to Android

Pj! wrote: »
    What exactly will Jelly Bean do for the SIII?

Like will it be faster? Or have more features?
    Both. Project Butter will be included which should make the phone much smoother (though after having one since day one I've never had even slight lag or freezing). Google Now will be included which is Android much improved version of Siri. Automatic widget resizing, improved keyboard, improved Beam, etc etc etc...
    I thought the S3 shipped with JB preinstalled? Is this just an update on JB?

Sorry for the obvious question....I am very new to Android
    No The S3 shipped with IceCreamSandwich. Currently running 4.0.4. Jellybean is 4.1.0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

How do I go about getting this on my phone when its released ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Its a meteor but its rooted if that makes any difference, pretty new to android, what does OTA mean ?

OTA = Over The Air...

Go to Settings and scroll to the very bottom and click "About Device". The first item on the menu that pops up is "Software Update". Click this and check for updates. When (and if) the update becomes available it will probably be through here.

I never use Kies.

Scotty # wrote: »
    OTA = Over The Air...

Go to Settings and scroll to the very bottom and click "About Device". The first item on the menu that pops up is "Software Update". Click this and check for updates. When (and if) the update becomes available it will probably be through here.

I never use Kies.

Oh right cheers, I have used KIES for the couple of updates they have had so far, worked ok for that, it is pretty awful for everything else though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

yeah it will be out in a few days i guess... im running DLH9 there now which has just been released today - its not official so you wont get it unless you do it yourself

its smooth alright.. settings have had a huge change.. theres loads more options and variations. the notification bar has changed somewhat, brightness doesnt take up as much room and other notifications are like as if they are in a higher resolution so more fit there, and things like facebook notifications show a preview of what has been said etc. so they utilise the space if theres just one notification. i got a boards email and i cud read it without opening it pretty much
    theres a blocking mode option there also (where sound, sync, wifi etc are) so if you are going into a meeting or whatever it will disable people being able to call you. seems awesome in theory :)
    phone is slicker. much much slicker. everything is instant. it was fast before but it just seems soooo snappy there now
    it looks like the ram on the phone will increase as the default 208Mb that was reserved for camera and the other stuff is being changed, or freed up somehow so now there is going to be 808Mb available (thats what the current H9 version has) there was talks in the dev forums about freeing some of this up and it seems samsung have found a way. :)
    i guess this adds to the slickness improvement. though jellybean itself is supposed to be smoother i guess thats why also.

ive also had no issues. in dlh7 there was browser issues and keyboard issues also had apps like facebook with problems. Swiftkey won't work on this though is all.
    Stock keyboard is much improved though is all.predictive is way better and adds words :)

kenyard wrote: »
    phone is slicker. much much slicker. everything is instant. it was fast before but it just seems soooo snappy there now...
    That'll be Project Butter. 60 frames per second and triple-buffer graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I have JB and Flash :D

Hi, Can you explain how to do this for a rookie?

link

it involves downloading the apk, installing it and then it only works in firefox once you enable some settings...
    tbh everything is going away from flash, and you wont miss it at all. or at least i hafnt so far anyway.
    i have it installed on my phone in jellybean as i had it backed up since 4.0.4 so just installed it via backup, but its not supposed to work with anything besides the firefox phone browser so i dunno what to make of it
    i did not use this apk, i just got it with a quick google of xda forums.

flash is dead on phones. html5 is now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

link

it involves downloading the apk, installing it and then it only works in firefox once you enable some settings...
    tbh everything is going away from flash, and you wont miss it at all. or at least i hafnt so far anyway.
    i have it installed on my phone in jellybean as i had it backed up since 4.0.4 so just installed it via backup, but its not supposed to work with anything besides the firefox phone browser so i dunno what to make of it
    i did not use this apk, i just got it with a quick google of xda forums.

flash is dead on phones. html5 is now..

I've flashed the latest firmware but it seems kinda choppy now, do I need to do a factory reset after it maybe? Also the software update keeps popping up saying failed download, starting to get very annoying? Anyone any ideas, cause I'm thinking of reverting back to stock firmware it came with!

One last question, if I flash back to stock firmware, Nordic on xda, can I then update ota like normal? Rather than flashing through Odin?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi,

Is there a way to flash the latest leaked version of JB onto the S3 without rooting? I used Odin to put the latest ICS version earlier in the summer without flashing, but looking at the XDA forum, it looks like a root is required for JB.

Is that right?

Not sure I want to do the root, and Odin was so easy to use, so I'd prefer to use Odin if possible.

Thanks

ugh. its getting annoying at this stage :P

im running dl9 and its perfect. no bugs except swiftkey keyboard doesnt work once i did a wipe, but stock has improved since it remembers added words now. i dont wanna have to wipe everything again to get this working is all, as i have gta, fifa and a few other games installed which are around 2Gb of download so id have to download everything again.. let alone backups etc which took a few hrs to get going.
    the main benefit of the OTA that i see is the odin files when i check to see if newer software is available, say im on a custom firmware so it cant check. I'm guessing the OTA would solve this, and not require re-wiping every time you update it, but rather would just be the update each time instead of the whole file. (and ota can be flashed with odin anyway afaik, just the base firmware needs to be the correct one).

ill check it out later anyways when i finish work i reckon to see whats up

apparently an inside source revealed the update is set for late this month/early next month. though clearly they are still in the bugfixing stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Updated to DLI1 last night and it's working great bar the occasional Touchwiz crash. Really see a difference in the speed of the phone and wifi has really improved.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

No never rooted at all. Just been updating firmware through Odin and happy enough with that. Touchwiz only freezes a couple of times a day so its not really a problem until the official Jellybean release comes out.

Haven't had any problems so far with the ringtones.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

s_carnage wrote: »
    No never rooted at all. Just been updating firmware through Odin and happy enough with that. Touchwiz only freezes a couple of times a day so its not really a problem until the official Jellybean release comes out.

Haven't had any problems so far with the ringtones.

I get the touchwiz FC a few times a day as well , but other than clearing the warning message it isn't causing problems.

On the ringtones - not having a problem as such , but the update did change all my pre-set tones back to defaults , no previous update did this. I had to go back in and reset my various choices.

Also , when I 1st updated I was getting a continuous Media.process FC - Went in and cleared the Cache from the "Media Storage" app and that solved that problem..

Generally seems quicker and smoother though.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Also , when I 1st updated I was getting a continuous Media.process FC - Went in and cleared the Cache from the "Media Storage" app and that solved that problem..

i had that and did a factory/data reset to clear it :P
    i guess your solution may have been slightly better :P

i also had google.process or soemthing else which was FC also, though, although i guess there is a similar workaround to fix that :)

recommendations are to check this new rom so?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

i had that and did a factory/data reset to clear it :P
    i guess your solution may have been slightly better :P

i also had google.process or soemthing else which was FC also, though, although i guess there is a similar workaround to fix that :)

recommendations are to check this new rom so?

Actually, I was getting the Google.Process one as well , the 2 would pop-up one after another..

The Media cache clear solved both :)

In terms of the ROM - It's swings and roundabouts I think...

I was running LH8 and it never gave any problems

This latest one is smoother/faster and I like the new features like Blocking mode and obviously the fact that they tweaked the memory so that you now have 818Mb available instead of the previous 788Mb helps performance , but I do get the odd FC from TouchWiz.

the lh9 update has both of those things, though i hafnt used blocking mode as of yet. still dont think i have a huge amount of free ram even tough its an extra 30Mb... figured i would have more, though i guess i have a load more apps now...

anyone got swiftkey working on it? or is it just that i need to update swiftkey?

Hi,

I updated mine yesterday through Kies, it's on build no BLG8 and baseband version LH1. I can't see the Block mode and my RAM has 779mb. Where do i get a newer build? Had a look on XDA but can't see it anywhere.

Thanks

Hi,

I updated mine yesterday through Kies, it's on build no BLG8 and baseband version LH1. I can't see the Block mode and my RAM has 779mb. Where do i get a newer build? Had a look on XDA but can't see it anywhere.

Thanks

I got mine via Sammobile , updated using ODIN

Hi,

Thanks

since you are on BLG8 you will be able to get the OTA version and flash via odin. it will probably be included in the download on sammobile (linked above)
    scroll to OTA files, download the DLI2 file i guess. looks like the latest version. flash with odin.
    xda forums should have a link.
    ill go at my phone later and then post u instructions how to do it.
    downloading the files takes a while :(

its an unofficial update. kind of a preview of the upcoming version. should be good when released. at the minute even i cant see any bugs

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I got mine via Sammobile , updated using ODIN

Looks like there are a few builds of 4.1.1 available there too. Will they only work on a rooted phone or can they be applied like stock firmware simply through Odin?

Advertisement