Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 2013 6 nations and junior world cup

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Fractured ankle. Never happened to me but I'd imagine it's a 5 week plus sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I fractured my heel and was out for 6 months. But that's totally different I think. Still an awkward place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rugbyharry

No mention of Leader or O'meara, connachts 2 biggest threats during the interpros. Both deserve to start for the u20s. I imagine leader could start at 15, has played there once for Connacht first team this season. O'meara is by far the quickest player in the interpros this year and will be one of the quickest in 6 nations. I think olding could start at 12.

Rugbyharry wrote: »
    No mention of Leader or O'meara, connachts 2 biggest threats during the interpros. Both deserve to start for the u20s. I imagine leader could start at 15, has played there once for Connacht first team this season. O'meara is by far the quickest player in the interpros this year and will be one of the quickest in 6 nations. I think olding could start at 12.

Well they'll never get mentioned unless Connacht lads like yourself talk about them!:) I only know of the Leinster lads, and I know of the Munster lads because of Ormond. What position are Leader and O'Meara comfortable in?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Leader full back and o'meara on the wing !

• Advertisement

I'm worried they'll put Scholes at outside centre to fill a void. Obviously with Henshaw tied up at Connacht and Byrne injured, we're a little light there but I'd prefer if Ruddock took a chance on O'Loughlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

20s scheduled to play a UCD 21s side next tuesday

Still no squad announced?!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

It has been very silent this year at every underage level in announcing squads? 18's, 19's, and 20's not sure why?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stanza2 wrote: »
    It has been very silent this year at every underage level in announcing squads? 18's, 19's, and 20's not sure why?

Is there a different management in place?

In Ulster they always seem reluctant to tell us too much about young players. Often they dont even update the Academy. I can only think its for three reasons

1) They are scared of poaching
    2) They dont want to give the kids big heads
    3) They cant be arsed

• Advertisement

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Dont know why squad lists have not been announced but 18s squads are known because of the game they played against each other and many here will have seen the pic of both squads in one of the schools threads.
    bilston wrote: »

In Ulster they always seem reluctant to tell us too much about young players. Often they dont even update the Academy. I can only think its for three reasons

3) They cant be arsed
    Dont think management has changed at any level. Dont think its anything to do with poaching, or anything like that.

Any news on a venue for 20s game v UCD tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Any squad updates or has anyone been to see the 20s side training or playing matches and have an idea of some names involved? Be interested in seeing how many players are playing in the UBL week in and out.

Can say that Olding, Scholes from Ballymena are in it, and Luke McGrath from UCD, any other possible shoe-ins for the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Any squad updates or has anyone been to see the 20s side training or playing matches and have an idea of some names involved? Be interested in seeing how many players are playing in the UBL week in and out.

Can say that Olding, Scholes from Ballymena are in it, and Luke McGrath from UCD, any other possible shoe-ins for the side?

Darragh Leader, likely full back from Connacht has a broken finger

Jamie Dever, also Connacht, who would be in contention for the TH spot has yet to play this season due to injury

• Registered Users Posts: 27 imno22

Adam Byrne is but he fractured his ankle, Chris Farrell is out with a torn ligament in his knee, Ed Byrne out with a foot injury(i think)

Will Robbie Henshaw be involved? He's a serious talent already and is comfortable at HEC level, would think he'd be dominant at 20s intenational level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Will Robbie Henshaw be involved? He's a serious talent already and is comfortable at HEC level, would think he'd be dominant at 20s intenational level

No chance

He's in the wolfhounds squad and has started all but 3 Connacht games this year, and came off the bench in the other 3, so it would be madness if he was involved

He needs a rest

Henshaw being in the main Ireland squad would suggest he has moved passed this level already.

Could be a positive, as the aim of the game is to obviously win but also to develop. Another kid will get a good shot at playing 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

is ultan dillane still involved with 20s... in the connacht academy and playing with corinthians

backgreen wrote: »
    is ultan dillane still involved with 20s... in the connacht academy and playing with corinthians

not sure, heard Thornbury(Leinster), McCarthy(Munster) have been involved but its all hearsay until a squad is announced. Jerry Sexton is another name talked about but his height is a question mark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »

3) They cant be arsed

There are also legal protection issues surrounding young players that are not in place in RoI in the same way.

Going by UBL squads and eligible players, Ryan Murphy (7) with Dolphin, Marcus Walsh (9) lansdowne (Connacht Acad), Haugh (9) YM, Shanahan (9) Tarf, Crosby (10) Belvo (unsure) look close to best options that i've seen. Serious competition for Scrumhalf positions. Jerry Sexton, Sean McCarthy be leading locks? Haven't seen Dilane. Is Steve McAuley from Connacht (ex-Leicster) underage?

ormond lad wrote: »
    Any news on a venue for 20s game v UCD tomorrow night?

Any news on this?

backgreen wrote: »
    think he is
    imno22 wrote: »
    not sure, heard Thornbury(Leinster), McCarthy(Munster) have been involved but its all hearsay until a squad is announced. Jerry Sexton is another name talked about but his height is a question mark?
    How is sextons height a question mark. he's def 6'5+
    Going by UBL squads and eligible players, Ryan Murphy (7) with Dolphin, Marcus Walsh (9) lansdowne (Connacht Acad), Haugh (9) YM, Shanahan (9) Tarf, Crosby (10) Belvo (unsure) look close to best options that i've seen. Serious competition for Scrumhalf positions. Jerry Sexton, Sean McCarthy be leading locks? Haven't seen Dilane. Is Steve McAuley from Connacht (ex-Leicster) underage?
    McAuley is overage. IMO Dillane will be ahead of McCarthy from what ive seen of both them play.
    will they look at murphy as a 7 when he has played most of his representative rugby as an 8.

last official measurement I had seen was 6'3 but there had been talk that he had grown since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

think he is

McAuley is overage. IMO Dillane will be ahead of McCarthy from what ive seen of both them play.
    will they look at murphy as a 7 when he has played most of his representative rugby as an 8.

Is Dan Leavy not going to be involved?..

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

mac carthy is playing very well for shannon at the moment..ultan from what i have heard is not playing his best this season

With McCarthy playing 1A rugby week in and out you'd think he'd have an edge on Dilane whose with Corinthians. Unsure about Leavy haven't heard a whole pile about him this year since leaving school

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

Any news on the match last night?

• Advertisement

I wonder will we even hear the team sheet prior to match day at this stage.

Advertisement