Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 2013 6 nations and junior world cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

.ak wrote: »
    No surprise McGrath is Captain. Olding at fullback? What is with our obsession of putting OH's at FB?

I wonder if Olding has been shifted to FB because the expectation is that he won't be available for the whole competition where as Crosbie will be. If so that's a pretty sensible decision. In saying that I'd have rather seen Olding at 12 or 13 but I don't know anything about Scannell in fairness so for all I know he could be a cracking player!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

The issue I have with Olding at FB is that we already have so many FBs in the squad with Scholas, Sweetnam and Panter. Adam Byrne is a big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Olding is a very good 15. He was excellent there for us against England last season, one of the few people who I thought came out of the game looking good last season. I was sitting in the stand right behind him.

Olding is a very good 15. He was excellent there for us against England last season, one of the few people who I thought came out of the game looking good last season. I was sitting in the stand right behind him.

He's clearly the next Mike Gibson...10,12,13,15...no sweat for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Rhys Patchell isn't playing for Wales anyway; playing LV Cup instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21246522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Sweetnum on the bench covering 10? Haven't seen much of him playing there or would Olding be automatically shifted into 10. Like Crosbie, is a savage player!

Any word on coverage for this?

It's on RTE 2 on Friday and I'd say with a fair bit of confidence that it's on BBC 2 Wales as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

RTE 2 coverage starts at 7

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Sweetnum on the bench covering 10? Haven't seen much of him playing there or would Olding be automatically shifted into 10. Like Crosbie, is a savage player!

Sweetnam can play 10, no worries on that front. He's more of a 10 than a fullback really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭phog

Munster's Ireland U20s Representatives
    We profile our Munster U20s players who have been called up for National duty this weekend when they take on Wales for their first game in the RBS U20s 6 Nations.

Five Munster players were named earlier today in the match-day squad, four of which lined out for Munster U20s in last season’s Interprovincial campaign, Sean McCarthy, Rory Scannell, Brian Scott and Darren Sweetnam.

Ryan Murphy missed out on his second Interprovincial series at U20s level with a shoulder injury but continued to progress on his return from surgery to be included in the National training camps.

Meet the players...

Sean McCarthy

The second row Currow native is nephew of Munster great Mick Galwey, and like him before, plays his club rugby with Shannon.

He captained his school side Rockwell to a Munster Schools Senior Cup title in 2012 and a few weeks later went on to play for Ireland U19s with Ryan Murphy against France and England.

Sean is in the Munster sub academy and turns 20 this February. Other representations include playing basketball for Ireland U16s and minor football with Kerry in 2011.

Ryan Murphy

In his first year of the Munster Rugby Academy and at 19 years of age the back row made his first appearance at A Interpro level in November and more recently made his B&I Cup debut against Rotherham in December.
    He lined out for the Ireland U19s in April 2012 against France and England, and featured on a Munster sevens side that travelled to Glasgow.

He played his schools rugby with PBC & captained the side to a Schools Senior Cup Final in 2011 against Rockwell. He now plays his club rugby with Dolphin.

Rory Scannell

Rory is in the Munster sub academy and is the younger brother of Academy hooker Niall Scannell.
    From Cork the 19 year old centre played his schools rugby with PBC and now plays his club rugby with Dolphin.

He has represented Munster at U18 Schools, and at U20s level for the last two seasons. This is his first inclusion in the Ireland U20s squad having previously played for Ireland U18 Schools with Ryan Murphy in 2011 when they won the FIRA-AER European Championship.

Brian Scott

Youghal native Brian plays tight and loose-head prop and has also played hooker in underage Munster representative games.

Turning 20 in March Scott plays his club rugby with UCC where his Uncle Peter Scott is Forwards Coach.

In the sub academy he played his schools rugby with PBC and played on the same Senior Cup side as Scannell and Murphy that reached the finals in 2011.

He represented Irish U18 Schools in 2010 with Sean McCarthy, Ryan Murphy and Rory Scannell v England and has also played cricket at Inter-provincial level.

Darren Sweetnam

Sweetnam from Dunmanway, Co. Cork is in his first year of the Munster Rugby Academy.
    The 19 year old played his schools rugby with Bandon Grammar and now plays his club rugby with UCC. This is his first inclusion in a national age-grade rugby side.

Sweetnam made his Munster A debut in the B&I Cup against Plymouth Albion in January 2013.

Darren is widely known in Cork for his hurling credentials after playing with club side Dohenys GAA and lining out for the Cork Senior Hurlers in the Allianz League and the Championship in 2012. He has also represented Ireland in hockey at U16s.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland Under-20 Team v Wales (Eirias, Colwyn Bay - Friday, 1st February 2013, kick-off 7.10pm)
    15 - Stuart Olding (Belfast Harlequins /Ulster)
    14 - Alexander O'Meara (Hartpury/ Exiles)
    13 - Tom Daly (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    12 - Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster)
    11 - Rory Scholes (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    10 - Steve Crosbie (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    9 - Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) Captain
    1 - Brian Scott (UCC/Munster)
    2 - George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons/Exile
    3 - Chris Taylor (Malone/Ulster)
    4 - John Donnan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    5 - Gavin Thornbury (UCD/Leinster)
    6 - Peadar Timmins (UCD/Leinster)
    7 - Ryan Murphy (Dolphin/Munster)
    8 - Conor Joyce (Malone/Ulster)
    Replacements
    16 - John Andrew (Ballymena/Ulster)
    17 - Peter Dooley (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    18 - Jake Caulfield (Malone/Ulster)
    19 - Sean McCarthy (Shannon/Munster)
    20 - Josh Van Der Flier (UCD/Leinster)
    21 - John Creighton (Malone /Ulster)
    22 - Darren Sweetnam (UCC/Munster)
    23 - David Panther (Corinthians/Connacht)

What are the names to look out for here? I only know of McGrath and Olding.

From a Munster perspective it's good to see a better representation than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ireland Under-20 Team v Wales (Eirias, Colwyn Bay - Friday, 1st February 2013, kick-off 7.10pm)
    Replacements

From a Munster perspective it's good to see a better representation than previous years.

From a Leinster perspective Daly is a handy centre and has great hands imo. Josh VDF has been on the edge of most A games but has never really been involved, oddly enough, as I think he's a big unit for his age. Has had a spell of injuries, but from what I've heard he can put in a big day's work when required.

Replacements

My knowledge of the Ulster players isn't really based on much of what I've seen just what I've heard but I've seen a few of them play.

Conor Joyce is very promising, usually plays 6 though, plays for Malone and was skipper of the Irish U19s last year, I think he has the odd cameo cap for Ulster under his belt and would feature regularly for the Ravens. Purely from an Ulster point of view I'd be interested to know if he can play 7 as we seem to have enough cover at 6 and 8.

I've heard a lot of good things about Chris Taylor at TH but have never seen him play and even I did I wouldn't really know good prop play if it smacked me on the head still I'm interested to see how he goes, although it's hard to judge props at age group level in fairness...remember Stewart Maguire?!...

Rory Scholes has been about for a couple of years at schoolboy/age group level, he could be one to watch. More of a FB, I've seen him play a couple of times and I seem to remember he had a big boot on him, possibly left footed? I'm open to correction on that though. When you see him you might think he's Paul Scholes younger brother...!

Stuart Olding has a few Ulster caps and has the footballing ability to play across the backline, whether that's a good thing in the long run I'm not sure. He came of the bench against Munster at Thomond in December and looked very assured at out half, more so than NOC it has to be said.

I've never heard of Jack Donnan or John Andrew

Jake Caulfied came over from England at the start of the season on trial and impressed during the Inter Pros and then got a three year contract (presumably Academy contract).

John Creighton was a decent out half IIRC for Campbell College in the Schools Cup a year or two ago but he's playing scrum half for Malone and seemingly going very well, although he'll have his work cut out to dislodge McGrath in fairness.

Joyce, Olding and if he were fit, Farrell, would be the Ulster guys I'd be looking out for in this squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aiden7

.ak wrote: »
    From a Leinster perspective Daly is a handy centre and has great hands imo. Josh VDF has been on the edge of most A games but has never really been involved, oddly enough, as I think he's a big unit for his age. Has had a spell of injuries, but from what I've heard he can put in a big day's work when required.

what kind of size is Daly? As we all know that England and France will more than likely have some monsters in the backs. Looking at Van Der Flier stats on the Leinster website he doesn't appear to be that big, at 6'1 and 93 kgs, Leavy at 6'3 and 99kgs seems to be a bit bigger, tho i know that the stats are not always upto date

Is Leavy going to play any part of this tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Brian2850

Aiden7 wrote: »
    what kind of size is Daly? As we all know that England and France will more than likely have some monsters in the backs. Looking at Van Der Flier stats on the Leinster website he doesn't appear to be that big, at 6'1 and 93 kgs, Leavy at 6'3 and 99kgs seems to be a bit bigger, tho i know that the stats are not always upto date

Daly is 6ft 4in according to an article i read about him before. Dont know if he has filled out that much yet though. Lives only a few miles from Sean O'Brien so hopefully he's been eating the same beef!

Aiden7 wrote: »

6'4 and 100kg ish.
    Stat on his height is from an excellant blog: demented mole
    http://dementedmole.com/2012/09/13/the-dying-days-of-the-diddymen/#more-3201
    Im guessing the weight but would say hed have to be around that

What's Rory Scannell like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Could've had two 6'4 centres if Farrell was fit.

• Advertisement

What's Rory Scannell like?
    Only time apart from schools level that ive seen him play was when he played for Dolphin against Nenagh in the final of the Munster Senior Plate before christmas and he had a mare of a game. couldnt get anything right from messing up several kickoffs, including 2 which we scored trys off, to getting caught in possession a lot. Was poor and didnt look anything like a potential irish 20
    Cant really judge him on that game as we totally ran the game and didnt let Dolphin do anything.
    Always stood out when playing age grade rugby. Good kicker, more than capable of mixing his game

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

Anyone know anything about the Connacht lads panter and o meara..... How come dever and leader are not in panel

liam12989 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the Connacht lads panter and o meara..... How come dever and leader are not in panel
    The 2 involved Panter and O Meara are exiles who trained with Connacht over last summer and played the interpros.
    Dever and Leader may be involved but are just not in this matchday squad. There is only the matchday squad named and there is others involved they just havent been named

liam12989 wrote: »
    How come dever and leader are not in panel

Leader's injured.

With Caulfield and the other fella (who is starting so I should probably remember his name) Dever might have a bit of trouble getting into the squad. A decent enough year for props considering who is injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hagz wrote: »
    Leader's injured.
    Broken finger, so will be out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I think that Dever is injured. He would have been a shoe in. Great player, big prospect for Connacht.

Have to say fair play to the Exiles, 5 players in that squad come through their system. They are bringing them over here at a young age as well so getting them integrated into the provinces and the Irish system.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Heads up, Eng v Sco U-20 6 nations on SS2, just about to start

Don't you just love Dewi Morris Eh? Nudge nudge, wink wink.

• Advertisement

5 of these English lads are Exeter players! Fair play to them

Advertisement