Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Factions Server 1.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Damn .. I knew I should have just went afk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Gah!

My internet went down and now this:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Gah!

My internet went down and now this:(

#firstworldproblems :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Owen2346

Capture.jpg
    Difficulties :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jinbakrdi

Phew I thought it was a problem at my end.

How long do you think it'll take for Mojang to fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Tis up according to the web people at mojang

https://twitter.com/mollstam/status/233658953677012992

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cidmon

the invisibility bug aint sorted yet get killed by a raid respawn cant see them yet they can see me edit : still happenin can see them on the screen that says respawn but when i spawn there invisible to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Well that sucked balls. MNC you Bastids.

:P

The calm before the storm ...

screenshot20120810at000.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A work in progress.

screenshot20120810at022.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kKrW7l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Killer_Byrne

Omg haven't logged on today yet, what the hell!
    How are you guys in our ceiling?? o_O

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm lost :P I warped to 'faction A' and there's nothing anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Omg haven't logged on today yet, what the hell!
    How are you guys in our ceiling?? o_O

Well, we walked in the front door using your pressure plates :cool:

Well, we walked in the front door using your pressure plates :cool:

FAIL!!:pac:

I think there should be a limit on the members in a faction. Between 5 and 7 should do. Factions are using inactive players to sheild themselves from raids and counter claims. Either inactive players should be removed or factions should be set at 7 players max.

EDIT: The disadvantage set to counter large factions was the fact that their base was made available on the map (Doesn't cater for inactive players) That function is no longer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I think there should be a limit on the members in a faction. Between 5 and 7 should do. Factions are using inactive players to sheild themselves from raids and counter claims. Either inactive players should be removed or factions should be set at 7 players max.

Agreed! A dirty tactic really

I've said it before and I'll say it again, 5 is the magic number.

Having it limited to 5 people would generate a solid number of factions. Keeping raids interesting and the whole who will attack next.

With no limit, soon there will be 2-3 Huge factions as smaller ones are destroyed

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, 5 is the magic number.

Having it limited to 5 people would generate a solid number of factions. Keeping raids interesting and the whole who will attack next.

With no limit, soon there will be 2-3 Huge factions as smaller ones are destroyed

I agree. Not only would it promote more raids but it would also promote stronger allies and interchanging of faction members.

I agree. Not only would it promote more raids but it would also promote stronger allies and interchanging of faction members.

Exactly , your not going to leave a faction if your apart of the biggest one,

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Let me butt in here. Gav, your obviously referring to my faction here so I will give my two cents. The people in my faction have joined it willingly, ie they want to be part of it. Your trying to say they shouldn't be allowed the choice to do so. I enjoy playing with the members of my Faction and assume they do so with me, why change that. A number of my friends and family members are in my faction. They may not be active a lot due to their computers etc. but why should they be ejected from the faction of their choice? Are you really going to tell them, no you can't join your friend's faction.

You may say there are a lot of players in it Who I am not acquainted with in Real Life, but still we have befriended each other on the different MC servers and enjoy being part of a team working towards a goal. I am not using random strangers to keep up my power, Yermanallen and his brother I have played with on Tallon server. Killer I was playing with a lot on Boards. We helped Cid and Jazz get to grips with tekkit.

Now, again, not everyone has the opportunity to be playing factions all the time, and thus we would usually only have about 4 or 5 online at a good time. Other Factions may have dedicated players who seem to be consistantly on the server and in my eyes doing the work of many other players by themselves. But does this mean people with less time should be penalised?

Another fact I'd like to mention is that a Certain Faction may be deliberately keeping their numbers down and crying out to penalize their current enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

Yeah I gotta agree. More factions would make things more interesting as people would really have to have alliances and work together. You dont need a huge faction to have raiding as proved by MNC earlier.

Farcheal wrote: »

You need to look at it both ways Far. I'm not saying you can't come on and enjoy the game with your friends and family. What I am saying though is that 15 members in a faction (last time I checked) makes the game less enjoyable for the rest of the server. It also makes your faction untouchable for the likes of the faction I'm in, MnC and AWE. Your power levels make you untouchable from our perspective and at the end of the day ruins the game of factions for both these two teams.

Similarly to yourself, I have made great friends on this server, some right back to a year and a half ago on the original server. I don't however feel I have the right to go off then and make this super faction with them. I will just as happily go on the opposition and hunt them down. :D

The original plan laid out by dec made sure that factions of over 5 people would be penalised by having their claimed land on the map. That however was not the case and even worse, all factions had their land displayed (allowing for your brother to go snooping around AWE's and MnC's buildings)

I just want this game to be fair and enjoyable for all. The only way for this to be done is to either set the limit at 5 people per faction or have it such a way that factions over 5 members can only have a max power of 5 per person, instead of 10. Personally I would favour the first option.

You can always set up multiple factions ( 3 of 5 with the numbers your have) and be allies with each other. You will still be in a similar position as you are eg.. working together, however you will be unable to hold onto such a huge reserve of power.
    It's all in the interest of fairness. You can see the response of the rest of the server above so obviously it's not just me who thinks this way.
    Another fact I'd like to mention is that a Certain Faction may be deliberately keeping their numbers down and crying out to penalize their current enemy.

Lets not beat around the bush here. You are obviously referring to us. As I have mentioned above, what benefit do we have of maintaining a smaller faction? Like I said before, AWE and MnC could easily join as one but where would the fun in that be? (Not to mention that I can't guarantee we won't turn on them down the line :P )
    At the start, yes we wanted to maintain our faction below 5 members but that was because we wanted to keep our base off the map. That feature no longer exists....

AWE is going to benefit from this either. As of time of typing they have 8 as well. Theyre gonna have to split to

Let me butt in here. Gav, your obviously referring to my faction here so I will give my two cents. The people in my faction have joined it willingly, ie they want to be part of it. Your trying to say they shouldn't be allowed the choice to do so. I enjoy playing with the members of my Faction and assume they do so with me, why change that. A number of my friends and family members are in my faction. They may not be active a lot due to their computers etc. but why should they be ejected from the faction of their choice? Are you really going to tell them, no you can't join your friend's faction.

You may say there are a lot of players in it Who I am not acquainted with in Real Life, but still we have befriended each other on the different MC servers and enjoy being part of a team working towards a goal. I am not using random strangers to keep up my power, Yermanallen and his brother I have played with on Tallon server. Killer I was playing with a lot on Boards. We helped Cid and Jazz get to grips with tekkit.

Now, again, not everyone has the opportunity to be playing factions all the time, and thus we would usually only have about 4 or 5 online at a good time. Other Factions may have dedicated players who seem to be consistantly on the server and in my eyes doing the work of many other players by themselves. But does this mean people with less time should be penalised?

With 15 members you have 150 power, If you only ever have 4-5 active members then the most power you can ever lose is 75. This means it is impossible to claim your land, Defeating the purpose of power loss. We invaded and defeated DreamTeam however we were denied our right to your land even thought we had each of you on the lowest power possible.

Lets put this into perspective, If each active member of MnC is on the lowest power we would have -20 power, Meaning it is possible to defeat our faction unlike DreamTeam. You complain that obsidian is overpowered and needs to be removed because you can not kill the enemy, then you encourage large factions even thought they are much worse. Obsidian traps the enemy while as a large faction you can do as you wish with no consequences when you die

We have 4 members because that is all we need as a faction, Having more means less factions and overall a more boring experience. Lets say we merged with AWE, Now we have 12 members but there is 1 less faction to contend with. We could also merge with ChaosCrew, Lowering the total factions by another 1.

Are you suggesting the faction server just have 2 large factions that can never be defeated simple because of a large amount of inactive power?

A faction limit of 5 would solve all these problems, You want to play with other friends? Fine! Tell them to make a faction and form an alliance.

Roorah wrote: »
    AWE is going to benefit from this either. As of time of typing they have 8 as well. Theyre gonna have to split to

That's true too but to some extent they agree with us. Of course they would like the limit at 7 but I think Kenno has it right. 5 is the magic number.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

You did not have us at our lowest possible power. I said only at a given time. If people wanted to make smaller factions, they would have done so by now. Seeing as "The rest of the server" agrees with this statement, Why do we still retain our members. I'm not forcing anyone to stay, they have their own free will and I have no problem with anyone who wants to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Owen2346

I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying factions. I really liked that two rival factions stomped in to our base due to an oversight on our part and did what they could to hinder us.

I found it a little bit much that, to my eyes, they "camped" the area for hours on end. But then again I haven't gotten to grips with minecraft yet, let alone factions. And at the time of the raid I was off in a mineshaft in the bowels of the earth.

I joined DT 'cause I knew lads there from the tekkit server. I had no idea our faction was as large as 15.

Limiting factions? I am for it, it would encourage more alliances and backstabbing, evolving factions into closer knit groups. And it would probably slow everything down a bit. Seeing pics of teams all dressed up in diamond with enchants is a little bit daunting for a server so young. (dunno how you did it lads ,fair play)

Also, is there a teamspeak, ventrillo, skype etc.. that we could use?
    (happy to contribute)

It would be cool if the admins could put down some kind of neutral ground with a meeting hall where we could all come for diplomacy, trading and the like.

You did not have us at our lowest possible power. I said only at a given time. If people wanted to make smaller factions, they would have done so by now. Seeing as "The rest of the server" agrees with this statement, Why do we still retain our members. I'm not forcing anyone to stay, they have their own free will and I have no problem with anyone who wants to leave.

Ok.

We enter your base and kill the 5 members online a few times. They go into hiding, We have lowered your power by 50 points. We now have to sit in your base all day and kill members as they log in, Are you saying that it is fair that your faction is so large that other factions will have to dedicate an entire day to camping your base, Not because of a good base design or strong oposition but rather because you have such a large number of irregular players?

If a faction can gain complete control of an enemies base, Do they not deserve the loot within?

Look lads its the start of the server. This is the time where we see what works and what doesn't. Completionist brings up a good point about the power levels. The amount of power a player has when offline doesn't decrease that quickly, so with a few players offline it provides a nice amount of background power to fall back on. This does make it next to impossible to lose territory.

Alliances could be the thing to allow people to keep playing with their friends however. You mightn't be in the same faction, but you still have alliance chat and you can always make an "alliance" base or just keep your stuff close together.

Another thing that popped up on the server earlier was disconnecting during combat, due to either lag or player (this is not a discussion about that incident). We all know the server is a bit buggy now as all the plugins try to catch up to 1.3 so this will probably be more of an issue now than later. Earlier for me I couldn't play for about twenty minutes due to lag just kicking me, and my ping was grand. Is there a way to check the server logs and differentiate between player and ping disconnects?

And as Owen said, We need to have some sort of overruling body that negotiations can go through. Give negotiations a bit of meaning.

• Advertisement

Roorah wrote: »
    Look lads its the start of the server. This is the time where we see what works and what doesn't. Completionist brings up a good point about the power levels. The amount of power a player has when offline doesn't decrease that quickly, so with a few players offline it provides a nice amount of background power to fall back on. This does make it next to impossible to lose territory.

Actually..
    Power loss while offline: None

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement