Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future at scrumhalf

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Leinsterr wrote: »
    I disagree. He scored 1 fairly good try. Useless other than that.

Was useless the word of the day on your toilet paper?

12 tries at international level from 26 starts + 6 sub appearances
    21 tries for Munster from 64 starts + 6 sun appearances.

Considering he is the third top try scorer in the Ireland squad at the moment and is the third or fourth top try scorer in the Munster squad at the moment by your logic we have an awful lot of useless players!
    Oh yes, he is amazing isn't he?????? All of his tries are literally 2 on 1s where he goes in unopposed by staying on his wing doing nothing for 80 mins and getting the glory. My only compliment is that he never leaves his wing so it is "technically" covered but everyone walks over him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Oh yes, he is amazing isn't he?????? All of his tries are literally 2 on 1s where he goes in unopposed by staying on his wing doing nothing for 80 mins and getting the glory. My only compliment is that he never leaves his wing so it is "technically" covered but everyone walks over him.

Did I say he was amazing?

There is a middle ground between being "useless" and amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Just the fact that you are talking about Earls as if he has been playing his rugby on the wing would indicate that you don't watch much, if any, rugby.

I appreciate your wholly unique contributions to the forum through. I don't think we've ever had anyone come on here with such asinine opinions about Earls before. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

I'm sorry to post off topic, but it beggars belief that people would call Earls a bad player. I think it's because he's being compared with BOD. Of course he doesn't stand up to him, but only four or five Irish players ever would. Earls is not world class, but he is international standard.

Back on topic, Marmion looks like the best prospect at 9 to me, but both Cooney and McGrath could develop into cracking players. As for Murray, we all know what he is capable of, and hopefully Penney can bring out the best in him. All said and done, the future is far from bleak in terms of 9s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'm sorry to post off topic, but it beggars belief that people would call Earls a bad player. I think it's because he's being compared with BOD. Of course he doesn't stand up to him, but only four or five Irish players ever would. Earls is not world class, but he is international standard.

Back on topic, Marmion looks like the best prospect at 9 to me, but both Cooney and McGrath could develop into cracking players. As for Murray, we all know what he is capable of, and hopefully Penney can bring out the best in him. All said and done, the future is far from bleak im terms of 9s.

The worrying thing about Murray is (imo) since his elevation to Munster/Ireland first choice he hasn't improved massively.

We've the best batch of young SHs in recent years though for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Just the fact that you are talking about Earls as if he has being playing his rugby on the wing would indicate that you don't watch much, if any, rugby.

I appreciate your wholly unique contributions to the forum through. I don't think we've ever had anyone come on here with such asinine opinions about Earls before. :pac:

wow i had never seen this word used before - nice (takes out the little black notebook and scribbles it down furiously for next time)

You learn something new everyday - cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

*ahem* Since when does Keith Earls have anything to do with Ireland's future at scrumhalf?

Speaking of Earls.... Leinsterr, you seem to be obsessed with him, and are determined to derail every thread by involving him, plus you can't string a decent post together about Earls - in either a negative or positive - how about we try this: You can no longer post ANY comment on Keith Earls in any manner for atleast two weeks from today. If you do, you'll be banned from the forum (again).

Everyone else, back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So when looking at the opitons for 2015 we seem to have narrowed it down to (in no particular order) O'Leary, Murray, Marshall, McGrath, Marmion and Cooney, I suppose there is the chance that Reddan and Boss could still be going in 2015 but it's unlikely, they'll be 34 and 35 respectively. Maybe someone else will emerge in the next three years as well.

O'Leary will hopefully be first choice at the Not Nots, Murray will be first choice at Munster, Marshall will be second choice at Ulster but will get plenty of starts due to Pienaar being with SA and the fact that Pienaar will probably feature at 10 a bit and McGrath and Cooney will probably battle it out to be third choice for Leinster. However can anyone tell me where Marmion stands in the pecking order at Connacht? Is he second choice behind Murphy? Is he a genuine contender for the No.9 shirt this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

bilston wrote: »
    Marshall will be second choice at Ulster but will get plenty of starts due to Pienaar being with SA

Pienaar is gone at the end of 2014 so Marshall will have a full season at 9 before the 2015 WC at the least

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilston wrote: »
    However can anyone tell me where Marmion stands in the pecking order at Connacht? Is he second choice behind Murphy? Is he a genuine contender for the No.9 shirt this season?
    Connacht have three fully contracted scrumhalfs but not a one of them performed at all last season. Marmion is still in the academy.

One would hope considering the low level quality ahead of him that Marmion would get a serious crack at the whip next season but we don't know. I am convinced that if he got a chance he would be able to take the starting jersey I am not sure if he will get that chance though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Pienaar is gone at the end of 2014 so Marshall will have a full season at 9 before the 2015 WC at the least

That's if no-one else is brought in or promoted

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

I'm a little worried as to how much opportunity Marmion will get with Connacht this season.
    Murphy was carrying a groin injury for a nice chunk of last season which I'm hoping was the reason for his dip in form. O'Donoghue was solid enough certainly not spectacular, Moore's involvement was still very limited considering the form of the others which is why I'm not sure if Marmion will really get a shot. I do however think if he gets a chance he is very capable of claiming the jersey as his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Michael Heaney did very well when he came on for Ulster at the weekend. Still only 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Michael Heaney did very well when he came on for Ulster at the weekend. Still only 22.

Played well anytime he's been on this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Played well anytime he's been on this season.
    How come he is not getting more game time? He looks very good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

How come he is not getting more game time? He looks very good?

Still very much the reserve. RP is always going to be No.1 and PM has done enough to deserve the next slot. Few more years required I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Began wrote: »
    Ronan O'Gara could be a great choice at scrum half for Ireland. His passing and kicking are still top notch and he still has excellent game management skills

Oh Holy God!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Began wrote: »
    Ronan O'Gara could be a great choice at scrum half for Ireland. His passing and kicking are still top notch and he still has excellent game management skills

From 0:18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I see the drinking has begun in earnest...

In fairness, it's the best ROG related troll in a while!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

AH. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Oh my. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I really dislike Murray. I hate seeing him play for Ireland.

For all the talk of being physical he's not very. We need another stringer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Stringer retires then Munster could do a lot worse than sign Michael Heaney as a #2 option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If Stringer retires then Munster could do a lot worse than sign Michael Heaney as a #2 option.
    His contract is up at the end of the season and I would prefer him to Williams for a big game

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Surely a better option for himself and Ireland, would be to move to Connacht or maybe an English side where he would be first choice. Moving home after jp leaves. But he mightn't get his spot back because the amount of talent ulster are bring through.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why would he go to Connacht? They have Marmion.

If he goes to England or France he'll be out of sight out of mind. Although he might be better off moving than staying at third choice at Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Heaney has impressed me this season both for club and province. He rarely takes the wrong option and does basics well.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

I really dislike Murray. I hate seeing him play for Ireland.

For all the talk of being physical he's not very. We need another stringer.

You reckon? I think Murray was brought into the Ireland set up too early but he's really improved now. Was great in the AI series and for Munster most of the season. Easily top choice SH in Ireland, and its deserved now.

As an Ulster fan, Heaney looks a strong prospect and has done a good job every time he's played this season (which is often behind a weakened pack). Pienaar and Marshall ahead of him, but he's a good back up and will continue to improve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

rchendz92 wrote: »
    You reckon? I think Murray was brought into the Ireland set up too early but he's really improved now. Was great in the AI series and for Munster most of the season. Easily top choice SH in Ireland, and its deserved now.

As an Ulster fan, Heaney looks a strong prospect and has done a good job every time he's played this season (which is often behind a weakened pack). Pienaar and Marshall ahead of him, but he's a good back up and will continue to improve.

Comparisons have been made to Phillips but I think they're poles apart. Phillips is always sniping around the fringes to make a break unlike Murray imo.

His passing could be a bit better imo, and reminds me of the situation to Tomas O' Leary. I could be completely wrong!

Comparisons have been made to Phillips but I think they're poles apart. Phillips is always sniping around the fringes to make a break unlike Murray imo.

His passing could be a bit better imo, and reminds me of the situation to Tomas O' Leary. I could be completely wrong!

You're right there, Murray is playing much better rugby than Mike Phillips right now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    You're right there, Murray is playing much better rugby than Mike Phillips right now

Phillips is much more of a threat than Murray if you ask me. He's the guy I'm most worried about when we come up against Wales.

Advertisement