Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USPGA 2012 - The Ocean Course, Kiawah Island *** MOD Warning Post #16 ***

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Totally disagree.

Not spectacular? The guy beat the field by 8 shots and broke Jack Jack Nicklaus's 32 year record of biggest winning margin. If that's boring then I dunno!

I ment the tournament as a whole, not McIlroy.

It was most likely due to the fact I was dipping in and out, but it just didn't grasp me and intrigue me to keep watching. There was a stage when Scott got in the hunt and there looks to be a big pack building up at -4 and -3 and I thought it was going to get mental then they fell off and McIlroy pushed on and it got sealed pretty early on.

I guess I just always hold Majors to the heights of the ones where there is like 5 people in the and then it wittles away to maybe 2-3 and its pressure pressure.

While I can appreciate a massive victory, it doesn't bring any drama or excitement whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

TheDoc wrote: »
    I ment the tournament as a whole, not McIlroy.

It was most likely due to the fact I was dipping in and out, but it just didn't grasp me and intrigue me to keep watching. There was a stage when Scott got in the hunt and there looks to be a big pack building up at -4 and -3 and I thought it was going to get mental then they fell off and McIlroy pushed on and it got sealed pretty early on.

I guess I just always hold Majors to the heights of the ones where there is like 5 people in the and then it wittles away to maybe 2-3 and its pressure pressure.

While I can appreciate a massive victory, it doesn't bring any drama or excitement whatsoever.

You did see the poulter charge on the front 9 yesterday...things were heating up nicely and if getting to -7 for his final round in a major after 13 doesnt excite people then i dont know what would.

Watching mcilroy absorb all the pressure thrown at him and pull away with one of the rounds of his career was exciting enough for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The USPGA has always been something of an afterthought when compared to the other majors, and the fact the Olympics overshadowed it this year didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Jaysoose wrote: »
    You did see the poulter charge on the front 9 yesterday...things were heating up nicely and if getting to -7 for his final round in a major after 13 doesnt excite people then i dont know what would.

Watching mcilroy absorb all the pressure thrown at him and pull away with one of the rounds of his career was exciting enough for most.

As I said, it might have been because I was dipping in and out. I just never felt compelled to sit down and constantly watch it, just didnt feel like a major :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Mc Ilroy played yesterday's round like a machine, never looked like slipping up, just pure solid golf all day while the surrounding players 'Peter'ed away. Fantastic performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

TheDoc wrote: »
    As I said, it might have been because I was dipping in and out. I just never felt compelled to sit down and constantly watch it, just didnt feel like a major :)

I dont understand how it didnt feel like a major though, what does that statement even mean?

Lets look at the tournament as a whole, thursday, friday, saturday the field was bunched and woods was in the hunt with the usual twists and mcilroys ball getting stuck in a dead tree for giggles. Sunday we had poulter flying up the leader board with 5 birdies in his first 5 holes then mcilroy responding every time and when he was in any trouble he recovered brilliantly.

Boring....not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I thought the friday nights action was absolutely brilliant, an amazing course and players shooting an average of 78!

the course really was magnificent, a far better track than the us open which was basically on the side of a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

awesome display from rory. i thought poulter was going to push him close when he got to 7under. brilliant display and it completed a great weekend for irish sport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Oh and I forgot the 'Colonel', the pompous pontificating ponce who sounds like he commentates from sitting on the throne.

(ie. the jacks)

Cant stand him myself. He stutters and stammers a load of horse pukky. Spends more time trying to pronounce his words than he does thinking about whether or not what he is spouting is making any sense to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Tox56 wrote: »
    The USPGA has always been something of an afterthought when compared to the other majors, and the fact the Olympics overshadowed it this year didn't help.

Would love to see it revert back to Matchplay as it once was. Would give it a distinction of its own as the rest are strokeplay events. As an aside - fair play to McIlroy. To put in a -6 final round when the pressure was on was stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Was so busy over the last few days I could only watch the Sunday round but felt that it lived up to all expectations.

I was told on Wednesday that a personal friend of JPs had gotten the call on Wednesday night that McIlroy was on fire and was likely to win or come close - how right he was. Unfortunately it was only the lads around me that got bets in at 18:1 on Wed - not me :mad:

What a performance - I likened it to Scott's display a few weeks ago, obviously barring the last 4 holes. Where Scott fell away, R-Mac accelerated to victory.

I must say that I had been doubting McIlroy recently and thought he should be giving up the 'tennis'. For me it doesn't matter what he does from now on, he will always in my eyes be expected to win - just like Tiger has been over the past 10 years.

Roll on Fedex and 2013 !!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

I thought the whole tournament was compulsive viewing. 99 of the top 100 in the world playing and McIlroy chewed them up. Fantastic closing round showing a real maturity and composure. His driving, his putting and his green side play were phenomenal. Great to watch over the whole four days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Myksyk wrote: »
    I thought the whole tournament was compulsive viewing. 99 of the top 100 in the world playing and McIlroy chewed them up. Fantastic closing round showing a real maturity and composure. His driving, his putting and his green side play were phenomenal. Great to watch over the whole four days.
    Actually what I like about him is that it's not all perfect. A good few wayward drives, some not so great approach shots and a few bunkers and yet he can conjure up birdies and pars when needed.

Even that mad shot in the third round that got stuck in the tree and he dropped a shot and still made par.

Advertisement