Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

you wont get more than a 4th for kaep - if even!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You'd be surprised, you could be right given his contract status, but QB's are way over valued on the trade market, all it takes is two teams who are interested to drive up the price.

I think the most likely scenario is he gets released and seeks a job on the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm going to be in San Fran for the first game of the season so plan on taking in the Monday night game.
    I know it's a bit of a trek to Levi Stadium so will need to give myself a few hours to get down there. Anyone got any tips or trip reports (I had a quick search but couldn't find any, might have missed them!)?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It was Candlestick when I was lat there so not sure what help I can offer. I did go to a game in Stanford also which involvled getting a Caltrain down to Palo Alto, but I'm not sure what the public transport options are for Santa Clara. I don't think they are great to be honest, maybe a train and then a bus or something like that.

The usual advice would be to get there early and indulge in some of the pre game drinking in the car park, it was great craic in canldestick though not sure how that has transferred over.

Stuff inside the stadium is supposed to be very expensive, even by NFL standards. There have been issues recently with the stadium getting so hot that people can't stay in their seats due to the sun, but for the MNF game you should be ok.

Any questions just ask, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭myate

I was at Levis last season for the game vs. Falcons...Gabbert's first, Kap's last time on the field (2 plays!)...and we won! I'm 4-0 watching the niners!!

Stadium is awesome, views are fantastic, and great atmosphere. I got tickets on TicketExchange for $110 each, 10 rows from the endzone...best seats ever at a football game....section 129 Row 10! As said there's an issue with sunshine, but it rained for our game, and yours is MNF! There's tickets on TicketExchange for that section for $140 for the Rams game!

Food as per all NFL stadiums, except the new Falcons when its ready, is expensive & just ok! And only beer you'll get is Bud Light! I wanted to go to the museum but didn't have time unfortunately.

Getting there is easy...trains all the way! We were staying near the airport so had to get the Caltrain to Mountain View station. Then you change to VTA dart style train. If you're in the city, its much the same, but the Caltrain might be different. Train all in ticket cost like $16 return...cheap, but it takes a while...almost hour & half from near SFO, so longer from the city. The walk from the VTA to stadium is 5 mins, everybody is going the same way! Great atmosphere on the train too...might be different for MNF, but our game was normal 1pm, so everybody was watching games like on their phones!
    Let me know if you've any other questions! We're in SF two weeks later & was really hoping there'd be a home game but unfortunately they're in Seattle & I can't change my plans!

• Advertisement

Looks like Ian Williams is out for the year and Anthony Davis is back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

I'm getting the feeling that Bam Davis is more talk than action these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I watched Mr D get his gold jacket earlier and I don't know what 49ers fans felt. Myself personally I felt it was an honour well deserved. He's in as a contributor as my god did he contribute to the nfl. He turned the niners from a meh franchise to a dynasty. He also changed the way players were treated and it showed on the field.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I watched Mr D get his gold jacket earlier and I don't know what 49ers fans felt. Myself personally I felt it was an honour well deserved. He's in as a contributor as my god did he contribute to the nfl. He turned the niners from a meh franchise to a dynasty. He also changed the way players were treated and it showed on the field.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to his speech. If it wasn't for non-football matters he'd have been in earlier.

If it had happened years ago he said that he would have had Bill Walsh introduce him, now that would have been something worth watching.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to his speech. If it wasn't for non-football matters he'd have been in earlier.

If it had happened years ago he said that he would have had Bill Walsh introduce him, now that would have been something worth watching.

Yeah he mean he said himself it was a stupid thing to have done. I take it you've watched his a football life ? I made me want him in the hall even more. I'm sure bill will be mentioned warmly in his speech.

I do wonder how the fortunes of the franchise you follow Adrian would be different now if he and not jed York was in charge ?

• Advertisement

Yeah he mean he said himself it was a stupid thing to have done. I take it you've watched his a football life ? I made me want him in the hall even more. I'm sure bill will be mentioned warmly in his speech.

I do wonder how the fortunes of the franchise you follow Adrian would be different now if he and not jed York was in charge ?

I saw that football life alright, I thought it was a veiled attempt at getting him into the HOF and the whole thing went into overdrive when the superbowl was on in SF this year.

As for Jed v Eddie, not sure how much difference he could have made. Maybe the draft pick in 2005 would have been different if Eddie was still there (that was before Jeds time though) but that's a hard one to call.

You'd probably expect that the Jim Harbaugh situation would have been handled better and a championship team (players/coaches etc) wouldn't have been disbanded over a personality conflict but there is no way to be 100% sure.

The thing is with salary cap and free agency the owner can only do so much for the team, put great coaches in place and let them at it is about all you can ask of them.

Of course Jed is just the face of the front office he doesn't actually own the team.

Some interesting comments from Eddie recently:
    I was 30 and I think it took me a while but I’m a little bit different than Jed. Jed’s come, and you know he’s gone through some good times obviously and came very close a couple of times to really having the brass ring. I was a little bit different though, back in 1977. I grew up a little bit different. I was more of a street sense type of a guy and you know, that’s the way my father raised me. He came from Smokey Hollow and Youngstown, an area down by Youngstown State, and I was just raised different but, Jed’s going to do fine. He’s had his knocks and they are starting all over with Chip Kelly and I think they’re going to do just fine. It’s going to take a while, it’s going to take a year or so, but they’ll be back.

and advice for Jed:
    Follow your heart and don’t let anybody change your mind, and don’t let anybody control your emotions or what you think is best. He’s been in football long enough, that he knows what to do.

Eddie received a signed helmet from Bill Walshes family with the following note

“Congratulations, I knew you’d get in eventually.”

Obviously written before he passed away.

Eddie received a signed helmet from Bill Walshes family with the following note

Congratulations, I knew you d get in eventually.

Obviously written before he passed away.
    I was out last night and didn't watch the start but got home just as the Eddie D video started. A brilliant respectful speech and it was obvious he actually cared about the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This thread hasn’t been bumped for a while.

I’ll be avoiding getting overly excited about the performance last night but definitely signs of improvement. Even though the Rams appeared to be very basic on offense, our defense looked solid, and our OL stood up well against the Rams hyped DL (hard to know if it was them or us). We know our QB and receivers aren’t up to scratch but those positives plus our run game is definitely something to build off.

Gabbert had some wayward throws but was pretty decent at times, especially solid and brave when the field opened up for a run. I just can’t see him as the long term answer but seems serviceable in the system. My hope is that the period in the 2nd/3rd quarter when they made several 3 and outs, and were generally making minimal gains, was down to safe play calling and knowing that the defense had things under control.

The thing that made me happiest was the signs of the move away from Tomsula era. I saw a good tweet when they were they were up 7-0 in the 2nd quarter and just outside of field goal range. Chip went for it on 4th and 6th, got it, and the drive ended with the second TD, whereas it said that Tomsula would have taken a delay of game penalty and punted it away.

Very tough game this Sunday, hopefully they can keep something going and avoid being a victim of the Panther backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 on not getting too excited
    +1 on the 4th and 6 call a sign of culture change

Nice to get a W on the first game though and credit to both D line for making plays (NB 9 Tackles!) and O line for gifting Gabbert enough time to make a cup of tea and have a think about what he was going to do..

Next 2 games will really put that game in perspective though

The bonus was a shutout on an opening week when so many games went to the wire :-)

The 49ers are playing the Cowboys this weekend. For many in SF this is the biggest rivalry we have. This year the NFL uploaded some classic full games to you tube, and one of those was the classic 1981 championship game, I'm sure we've all seen the final play or even the final drive but it's great to be able to watch the entire game and no better time than this weekend.

(you will need to watch it on the youtube website, cant embed it on boards)

Go Niners!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcflzu8bKc0&feature=player_embedded

So at 1-4 the 49ers are going with the statistically one of the worst QBs in the league last year ?

Okay then let's see how this works out.

So at 1-4 the 49ers are going with the statistically one of the worst QBs in the league last year ?

Well it’s either continue with one of the statistically worst QBs so far this season or try out a former QB, that led them to a super bowl, who has never had a chance in this system.

To me it’s worth the risk and the bonus is that it could possibly be a move by Kelly to get rid of Baalke, which would be great for the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

I just hope he's learned how to count, the amount of delayed penalties he gave away in the last couple of years has been criminal.

Dymo wrote: »

I just hope he's learned how to count, the amount of delayed penalties he gave away in the last couple of years has been criminal.
    I can never understand how a QB can cause a delay of game penalty I really can't. A center yes as they are
    relying on the guard/QB to give him a signal and won't snap the ball unless they are given a signal.

A QB has a giant clock with big red numbers on it ticking down.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »

Well it s either continue with one of the statistically worst QBs so far this season or try out a former QB, that led them to a super bowl, who has never had a chance in this system.

To me it s worth the risk and the bonus is that it could possibly be a move by Kelly to get rid of Baalke, which would be great for the franchise.
    As an eagles fan getting rid of the GM and then potentially having chip Kelly handle player decisions. Not a good idea.

As an eagles fan getting rid of the GM and then potentially having chip Kelly handle player decisions. Not a good idea.

I wouldn’t want Kelly to get the GM role, I would prefer someone outside brought in, but he couldn’t be worse than Baalke when it comes to finding players in skilled positions. It’s also not like the 49ers have too many star players that he could trade away.

In any event I don’t think York will give Kelly full control of the team and I’m not actually sure Kelly would want it at this point, as it could/would be the nail in the coffin of him in the NFL.

This about sums up the season....
    Where do we go from here? We seem to have defensive players that cannot tackle, defensive backs that cannot cover, outside linebackers that can’t get any pressure on the quarterback and don’t know what outside containment is. We have wide receivers that cannot get open and quarterbacks that cannot hit a receiver in stride and have a hard time reading a defenses. Worst of all, we have coaches that only coach for half of the game.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/12/16/13977792/golden-nuggets-uncomfortably-numb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I don't envy you this season man, its been a tough slog.

What do you think of Caepernick off to the Jets? I'm sure your not disappointed really he's been a let down since that outstanding start.

As long as he's off somewhere I don't mind where he goes. He makes too many mistakes, he still shows flashes with some really good plays but then makes stupid decisions and misses open receivers.

He's at least cut out the interceptions from last season but he's not going to ever by a premium QB, I'd rather SF went ahead with Ponder/Gabbert with a QB drafted in the middle rounds and see if he can be developed.

Bill Walsh used to say you should draft a QB every year and I can see the value in that. Just recently Derek Carr, Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson have all been drafted outside the first round so there is value to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

As long as he's off somewhere I don't mind where he goes. He makes too many mistakes, he still shows flashes with some really good plays but then makes stupid decisions and misses open receivers.

He's at least cut out the interceptions from last season but he's not going to ever by a premium QB, I'd rather SF went ahead with Ponder/Gabbert with a QB drafted in the middle rounds and see if he can be developed.

Bill Walsh used to say you should draft a QB every year and I can see the value in that. Just recently Derek Carr, Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson have all been drafted outside the first round so there is value to be had.

Definitely not a bad idea. I think Wilson probably exceptional value.

49ers fans might be able to help me on this one. About five minutes ago I saw Jed York(nice bald spot btw jed) say that he owns this team(the San Francisco 49ers). Forgive me but doesn't his mother and father own the team ? And his mother is only the owner because her brother was forced to give up the team after he made a slight boo boo.

Edit: Jeds uncle is st Eddie of Youngstown btw.

His parents own the team, Denise and John York. Jed runs the team, so unless his parents want him out he's going nowhere. He did say a few years ago (when Harbaugh was getting fired mutually departed that fans should hold him accountable if the team wasn't successful, just that no one so far has been able to figure out how to do that.

I also note that the 49ers will be spending $69m on coaches and assistants that the team has fired in recent seasons, but I digress.

So yes you are right, essentially his parents own the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Yeah, I agree. You also have to look at the O lines they get to play behind and the weapons they have to utilise. I think the draft a QB every year is a valid strategy, but I'd be focusing on other positions at the top of the draft and looking for options in the lower rounds to develop. Obviously QB is by far the cornerstone of any NFL team but you could take any QB in the league and they'd struggle with the current 49ers roster. Look at the Colts as an example of how drafting a great QB isn't all you need to create a good team. As an aside, I've always thought that Aaron Rogers would have been just as poor as Smith was had the 49ers taken him instead. I think that the Browns probably got it about right last year when they decided to stockpile draft choices for their new management team. It gave them a full year to assess what they had in place already and they now have 2 top 15 picks to add some solid talent (probably not at QB).

Interesting little fact, only about 60% of the starting QBs in the league are first rounders (17 top 10 picks plus 3 taken in the lower half of first round). I would have expected it to be a bit higher myself. That includes Cutler, RGIII, Goff & Bradford who might not really be considered franchise QBs at the moment.

• Advertisement

I agree that there is no need for the 49ers to be burning a top pick on a QB for the sake of it. If there is someone they really like then fin, but I'd be happy enough with a mid round pick and go with a veteran for next season and see how the draft pick works out.

If the 49ers had drafted Prescott last season which they nearly did, then I'm pretty sure he would have gotten destroyed behind that offensive line.

The 49ers are at least 3 years away from being even an 8-8 team so it should be best player available at pick 2. To be honest there is no position where they don't need to strengthen.

Advertisement