Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Options
1319320321322323325»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Because marriage with the invisible sky-fairy's blessing is so much more successful and lasting, of course!

With this crushing defeat, the church and their cronies can no longer spout off about "the silent majority". The high level of turnout shows that the majority is no longer silent and isn't prone to kowtow to the church any longer.

I had to laugh when I saw Diarmuid Martin interviewed earlier and he was asked about the young people that came out in droves to support the yes vote and he said "well the young people that came out are a product of 12 years of education in catholic schools" and you could see the lightbulb in his brain shatter at that point "oh"

Genuinely. How out of touch is he that he thinks the church speaks to the majority under 30?

Also, there were things about my Catholic education I hated, but we were always taught the fundamental "Do unto others" even if we or the staff didn't always practice it. Perhaps it's that value that people brought with them to the ballot box, eh, Diarmuid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I've not seen that clip as I'm just back online after being away for the day. It sounds like a crop of crap.

I will always defend people's right to vote how they want. Let me again say that I'm not a political analyst. It comes down to this. The No side lost because it had nothing to positive to say. David Quinn's congrats tweet is about the only positive thing they have said during the whole campaign. Seriously. The tone of their campaign was extremely negative. They can complain about media bias, being denied a voice, media group think, balance, anti-Catholic bigotry and whatever else. The loss is on their head and their own doing. Did you even have professional media advisors? You ran on red herrings and fear. You were basically Iona and its offshoots, with some fringe people thrown in. AFAIK, you didn't have a word to say when Pat Carey and Ursula Halligan came out. A simple tweet with decency might not have made any difference, but you could at least have said well done to Pat and Ursula. I'm discounting Leo as he's a young guy. Do the autospy a la what was done when Romney lost. Do not sit around and start feeling sorry yourself, which sounds like Breda's input above.

I'm not going to claim everything in the Yes camp was hunky dory. The Twitter machine blew its own trumpet and overestimated its own importance, at times.

It's been a very emotional 24-48 hours. Twitter is hard to read without being moved - I'm not gay, btw. May 22nd, 2015 - Ireland lit a torch that can not be extinguished. People voted with their heads and their hearts, including Catholics. I'm damn proud.

https://twitter.com/WhispersNewsLTD/status/602098612848488451

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Waterford Whispers report........

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

obplayer wrote: »
    Praying-Hands-20071.jpg

Referendum - Catholic faithful have their prayers answered by God!

God-02.jpg

Get stuffed God says!!

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/status/602115787437015041

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

IpcVeFi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

You cannot decide your sexuality, just as you cannot decide where you are born. There is an argument to be made that you are a representation of the society you live in, but more often than not it is the society which influences the type of person you are. There is no shame as a yes voter by your constituency not carrying the vote, and one could even argue that those 17 and a half thousand yes vote in Roscommon/South Leitrim took more inner strength and bravery than a lot of the yes votes in areas like Dublin/Kildare etc. I know it's a secret ballot and my argument sounds scarily like one Iona would make but I feel there is some merit to it. I know my own parish in Mayo was a No vote but I don't feel that represents me or others who voted yes who live here. Religion is a powerful tool of thought control as posters in an Atheist forum should know, and a whole constituency should not be a source for amusement or generalisations simply because they marginally favoured a no vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thought I'd just smugly point out the Yes vote was over 70% in my constituency :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,059 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Thought I'd just smugly point out the Yes vote was over 70% in my constituency :pac:
    That's no reflection on you, Hotblack.

Unless, of course, you've been up to your old tricks with borrowed polling cards and false moustaches again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There's an awful lot of guff about "700,000" not having a voice. They do have a voice - if somebody of their gender asks them to marry they can say "no". When the anti-contraception, anti-divorce, anti-life of Brian crowd were running the show, its more of a voice than the dissenters then had.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod ranger reporting in that is officially the end, the end of this thread.hamsters are in danger thread must now be closed.

Thank you all for your input

New thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057435249

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement