Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

hopefully it is a landslide
    if it is tight, well, I could see things get messy with court battles

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

wp_rathead wrote: »
    hopefully it is a landslide [...]

I'm calling a 63% majority, but subject to people getting out and voting!

Baby Jesus says Get Out And Vote!

349643.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm going to call a high turnout. 65% plus, if not 70%.

The original constitutional referendum was 75%, I don't think it'll hit that, but considering that Lisbon II hit 59%, I think 65% would be conservative. Lisbon was heated, but nothing like this one has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is there anywhere where someone can track how many people have voted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I can see them challenging in relation to "Voter Fraud"

https://twitter.com/TheEvertBopp/status/601683198335184896?s=09

Followed by Fidelma Healy Eames.
    Says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

seamus wrote: »
    I'm going to call a high turnout. 65% plus, if not 70%.

The original constitutional referendum was 75%, I don't think it'll hit that, but considering that Lisbon II hit 59%, I think 65% would be conservative. Lisbon was heated, but nothing like this one has been.

Just back from the polling station - Cork urban constituency - a steady stream coming and going while I was there. I asked how it was going and was told "Fairly busy since we opened this morning."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Turnout is currently estimated around 20%. Still a long way to go though.

The polling station where I went to vote at about 9:30 (in Meath West) was quite empty.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Brisk turnout in Westport this morning, and the youngsters staffing the booth said they were expecting a big rush when the bus- and trainloads of students coming home for the weekend start to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Turtwig wrote: »

Meaning 20% have voted already? Surely that's not the predicted total

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Seemed busy enough in the two stations I stopped by this morning (long story, nothing illegal going on!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

My local polling station (I believe Ronan Mullen still votes here too, thankfully didnt run into him) wouldnt never be busy per say, but there was a steady stream today at around 12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Out walking the dog past a local grotto last night I saw a group of people down on their knees on the concrete (presumably praying to the statue, why else would you ever go down on your knees in a secluded place outdoors?). My presumption was that they were praying to their god that it would prevent the referendum from passing, because their god said it was an abomination. Tempted to go over and ask if their god didn't want it passed, and had the ability to prevent it from passing as their prayers (presuming that is what they were doing) implied, why wouldn't it do it anyway and skip the middlemen-and-women? But pointing out logical flaws would be bullying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

TheChizler wrote: »
    Out walking the dog past a local grotto last night I saw a group of people down on their knees on the concrete (presumably praying to the statue, why else would you ever go down on your knees in a secluded place outdoors?). My presumption was that they were praying to their god that it would prevent the referendum from passing, because their god said it was an abomination. Tempted to go over and ask if their god didn't want it passed, and had the ability to prevent it from passing as their prayers (presuming that is what they were doing) implied, why wouldn't it do it anyway and skip the middlemen-and-women? But pointing out logical flaws would be bullying!

Even though I know its pointless I still feel a bit uncomfortable about people attempting to fix a democratic vote by summoning god, satan or whatever.

Chizler, you should have started praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster then! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

robindch wrote: »
    The Chief High Ionanist says yes-voting catholics aren't really catholics. And he names names. And points fingers.

I'm wondering when the Hierarchy is going to start pushing back against Quinn and company.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/iona-institute-chair-criticises-catholics-calling-for-yes-vote-1.2221187

There's nothing like the odd coup d'etat from within. Wonder how Archbishop E Martin will deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

High turnout good for Yes side, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

How have you any idea as to what they are praying for and why? It could well be that they have a family member that is ill. But of course it is so so easy to have a go at these people and make them out to be imbeciles and provide fodder for other posters and slag them off.

It is akin in a way to the school and workplace bully. You have a person or a grop of persons that you and your mates regard to be beneath you, and you get group affirmation by identifying them and slagging them off and then your mates come in with a few more digs.

Why dont you get on with your life, let them get on with their lives and stop trying tio make mileage for yourself out of them? And, it is welcome that you didnt go over slagging them off based on your "presumption".

Any my comments are from a Yes voter in both referendums.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Would it be against the law to wear a rock band t-shirt to the polling station?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Even though I know its pointless I still feel a bit uncomfortable about people attempting to fix a democratic vote by summoning god, satan or whatever.

Who is doing this, you are basing your comments on someone else's presumption so you are feeling uncomfortable about something that might not be happening at all. The mind really does boggle sometimes.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

First time voting in 8+ years. Has it always been pencil used to mark the votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

First time voting in 8+ years. Has it always been pencil used to mark the votes?
    I believe so. Perhaps after the electronic voting scandal, they did not want to take chances and so went super retro. I guess we should be grateful they stopped at pencils and did not provide clay tablets and a chisel. #hackersafepencils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

jimd2 wrote: »
    Who is doing this, you are basing your comments on someone else's presumption so you are feeling uncomfortable about something that might not be happening at all. The mind really does boggle sometimes.:rolleyes:

You really dont think there are religious people praying over this? Wasnt there even a novena about it?

Turtwig wrote: »
    Considering that the total turnout in the last referendum was 33%, I'm guessing that a 20% turnout by lunchtime is huge and could translate into my 65%+ by 10pm.

I expect the vast majority of votes are cast after work and/or when people get home to the country.

I'm trying to find news articles from the day of the last referendum though to see if I can compare figures.

Edit: Around this time in the last referendum, turnouts were still in the single digits, some less than 5% Definitely calling 65%+ turnout on this. Could be the second biggest if not the biggest turnout in Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Chizler, you should have started praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster then! :pac:
    My colander was in the wash!
    jimd2 wrote: »
    How have you any idea as to what they are praying for and why? It could well be that they have a family member that is ill. But of course it is so so easy to have a go at these people and make them out to be imbeciles and provide fodder for other posters and slag them off.

It is akin in a way to the school and workplace bully. You have a person or a grop of persons that you and your mates regard to be beneath you, and you get group affirmation by identifying them and slagging them off and then your mates come in with a few more digs.

Why dont you get on with your life, let them get on with their lives and stop trying tio make mileage for yourself out of them? And, it is welcome that you didnt go over slagging them off based on your "presumption".

Any my comments are from a Yes voter in both referendums.

I did qualify the comment by saying 'I presume', so if my presumption was wrong my comment would be invalid to those individuals. I did consider that possibility but considering that I had never seen anyone praying there before I considered it a safe enough bet. I haven't named any individuals or made them identifiable to anyone including themselves, so my point would really be applicable to anybody in the country praying for a No, and you can be sure that somebody has done that.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yes. Pencils are reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This is a change to the constitution. Peann Luaidhe = srs business.

Pencils really are great. They're cheap, they're less prone to not working than pens. If the nib does break, it's easy to fix. Also much harder to damage paper with a pencil than a pen. And there's no such thing as invisible lead :)
    It also ensures a pretty consistent mark on all ballots; you won't be getting green or blue or red or black, just all pencil.

OK, so the last five are really me talking out of my arse. It's the fact that they're cheap and they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

My colander was in the wash!

I did qualify the comment by saying 'I presume', so if my presumption was wrong my comment would be invalid to those individuals. I did consider that possibility but considering that I had never seen anyone praying there before I considered it a safe enough bet. I haven't named any individuals or made them identifiable to anyone including themselves, so my point would really be applicable to anybody in the country praying for a No, and you can be sure that somebody has done that.

I think your comment is applicable to anyone who asks a statue to solve their problems for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

seamus wrote: »
    Pencils really are great. They're cheap, they're less prone to not working than pens. If the nib does break, it's easy to fix. Also much harder to damage paper with a pencil than a pen. And there's no such thing as invisible lead :)
    It also ensures a pretty consistent mark on all ballots; you won't be getting green or blue or red or black, just all pencil.

OK, so the last five are really me talking out of my arse. It's the fact that they're cheap and they work.

They are susceptible to erasers however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement