Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

They better get cracking, I'd say the cost of a flight to Russia is about to skyrocket. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

Feel good moments like these don't come around often for countries. They usually only last hours, rather than days.

Its happening right now for us, this evening!!

Enjoy, everybody :)

Watching RTE1

They've finished with the gay election for now, now they're talking about the bi election :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I've said it before but...

I know three people, three progressive liberal people, with NUI votes, none of whom have ever actually used them. "Too busy/forgot" seems to be the case each time. :(

I've a TCD one, David Norris always gets my number 1

Banna can you get those feckers in Cork to count a bit faster :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Mullen was actually elected by NUI graduates.

What were they thinking?

I didn't use my vote for last senate election. I promise to use it next time. Lesson learnt.

Ps sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

mohawk wrote: »
    I didn't use my vote for last senate election. I promise to use it next time. Lesson learnt.

Ps sorry

No Gay Marriage for you until you do vote so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A truly great day for Ireland.

As an Irishman abroad, I feel really proud of my country, and of those who fought for this. You are special people who have done your country a service to be held in the highest regard.

Now, go party.

Breda O'Brien is on Six One now wanting us to think about the No side and how upset they are that they lost. We're no longer a democracy anymore apparently. Gay Meejah Hoors are to blame. The poor No-ers were all bullied unmercifully. Surrogacy, surrogacy, surrogacy. Won't someone please think of the children? Can I go now? And she's away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

mohawk wrote: »

Ps sorry

I probably won't have an NUI vote for the next Seanad election either, I'm graduating some time in autumn 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Confused. I'm still married. And my two children are still here. To be on the safe side we've kept a close eye on them but thankfully they haven't been gay adopted yet. When will mothers and fathers no longer matter?

Radio1

Mattie McGrath was talking about how he went up into the mountains with Pat Carey

Was it Brokeback Mountain? :p

Miriam Lord had a great piece in the IT today, she called him 'Mothers and Fathers Mattie' :pac:

lazygal wrote: »
    Confused. I'm still married. And my two children are still here. To be on the safe side we've kept a close eye on them but thankfully they haven't been gay adopted yet. When will mothers and fathers no longer matter?

And John Waters told us that "No" was going to win. Off I went to the bookies with my life savings and placed a bet on foot of such informed opinion. Where's my winnings John Boy? You're not the only one who knows how to sue people you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Breda O'Brien is on Six One now wanting us to think about the No side and how upset they are that they lost. We're no longer a democracy anymore apparently. Gay Meejah Hoors are to blame. The poor No-ers were all bullied unmercifully. Surrogacy, surrogacy, surrogacy. Won't someone please think of the children? Can I go now? And she's away.

Iona won't have to worry about questions about their funding from now on. All they need to do is start selling decorative vials of their delicious tears after today's defeat and they'll have a financial war chest. I'd buy two full sets, one to put on the mantlepiece and one to use as seasoning in various soups or casseroles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Interesting to see the Fall of Berlin mentality among Catholic types. They're going to try to be a blockade to any sort of progress. Catholic doctrine repackaged as natural law and medical ethics. They're going to fight house to house etc. The catholic vote and the No vote are elderly. Every year that passes weakens them. Watch the emergence of the procedural blockades, the technical roadblocks, the legal challenges. The real irony is that they were hammered today by families and mothers and fathers who stood by their gay children and brothers and sisters and cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Bad Horse wrote: »
    Iona won't have to worry about questions about their funding from now on. All they need to do is start selling decorative vials of their delicious tears after today's defeat and they'll have a financial war chest. I'd buy two full sets, one to put on the mantlepiece and one to use as seasoning in various soups or casseroles.

My message to The Iona propaganda machine:

meme-tears-ecard.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Are the bishops waiting until tomorrow to announce they wont have anything to do with the civil part of marriage? Or are we pretending they never said anything?

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The real irony is that they were hammered today by families and mothers and fathers who stood by their gay children and brothers and sisters and cousins.

The Yes vote today was very strong in working class Dublin constituencies - places which were very homophobic in the 80s - places where many people don't vote and don't engage with politics.
    I know I grew up in one. I was bullied and abused and I wasn't even gay.
    Times have changed.
    Also all the Iona propaganda about 'single parents bad' didn't go down too well it seems.
    This is a great day.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Interesting to see the Fall of Berlin mentality among Catholic types.

It's not like the Fall of Berlin - fear and regret

It's like the fall of the Berlin Wall - Party time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Praying-Hands-20071.jpg

Referendum - Catholic fundamentalists have their prayers answered by God!

God-02.jpg

Get stuffed God says!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Are the bishops waiting until tomorrow to announce they wont have anything to do with the civil part of marriage? Or are we pretending they never said anything?

They overestimated their power; badly and hilariously. They'll go into damage control for the next while, probably preach about how civil marriage is fine and they've no problem with it but religious marriage is something only the church can provide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A great day for Ireland - the city center here in Dublin is absolutely hopping at the moment - haven't seen so many happy people since the 1990 World Cup :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Best comment I've seen about the Other Side is this one:
    Giblet wrote: »
    anna080 wrote: »
    [...] should the Iona Institute back off [...]
    I think the 'f' and 'u' keys on your keyboard are broken.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's always one idiot... This evening in Dublin.

90381734.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

They overestimated their power; badly and hilariously. They'll go into damage control for the next while, probably preach about how civil marriage is fine and they've no problem with it but religious marriage is something only the church can provide.

Because marriage with the invisible sky-fairy's blessing is so much more successful and lasting, of course!

With this crushing defeat, the church and their cronies can no longer spout off about "the silent majority". The high level of turnout shows that the majority is no longer silent and isn't prone to kowtow to the church any longer.

I had to laugh when I saw Diarmuid Martin interviewed earlier and he was asked about the young people that came out in droves to support the yes vote and he said "well the young people that came out are a product of 12 years of education in catholic schools" and you could see the lightbulb in his brain shatter at that point "oh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

I would actually have some respect for them if they went through with it, but instead we have the church which is just trying to be popular while not pissing off the people who follow it. Thankfully the pope's mask is slipping a bit too.
    Because marriage with the invisible sky-fairy's blessing is so much more successful and lasting, of course!

With this crushing defeat, the church and their cronies can no longer spout off about "the silent majority". The high level of turnout shows that the majority is no longer silent and isn't prone to kowtow to the church any longer.

I had to laugh when I saw Diarmuid Martin interviewed earlier and he was asked about the young people that came out in droves to support the yes vote and he said "well the young people that came out are a product of 12 years of education in catholic schools" and you could see the lightbulb in his brain shatter at that point "oh"

Any video for the interview?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've not seen that clip as I'm just back online after being away for the day. It sounds like a crop of crap.

I will always defend people's right to vote how they want. Let me again say that I'm not a political analyst. It comes down to this. The No side lost because it had nothing to positive to say. David Quinn's congrats tweet is about the only positive thing they have said during the whole campaign. Seriously. The tone of their campaign was extremely negative. They can complain about media bias, being denied a voice, media group think, balance, anti-Catholic bigotry and whatever else. The loss is on their head and their own doing. Did you even have professional media advisors? You ran on red herrings and fear. You were basically Iona and its offshoots, with some fringe people thrown in. AFAIK, you didn't have a word to say when Pat Carey and Ursula Halligan came out. A simple tweet with decency might not have made any difference, but you could at least have said well done to Pat and Ursula. I'm discounting Leo as he's a young guy. Do the autospy a la what was done when Romney lost. Do not sit around and start feeling sorry yourself, which sounds like Breda's input above.

I'm not going to claim everything in the Yes camp was hunky dory. The Twitter machine blew its own trumpet and overestimated its own importance, at times.

It's been a very emotional 24-48 hours. Twitter is hard to read without being moved - I'm not gay, btw. May 22nd, 2015 - Ireland lit a torch that can not be extinguished. People voted with their heads and their hearts, including Catholics. I'm damn proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The No side lost because it had nothing to positive to say. David Quinn's congrats tweet is about the only positive thing they have said during the whole campaign. Seriously. The tone of their campaign was extremely negative.

Whaddya mean:

https://twitter.com/PaddyJManning/status/602092788516257792

https://twitter.com/PaddyJManning/status/602093531860205568

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Greystones count centre today, the important table.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement