Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

ok i voted now but make it easier to find the voting boot if they put arrows pointing where i suppose to vote and have the voting cards in english so i can read it, anyway i vote yes on both cards even so i couldn't read it because all the language on the card was in irish .

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

the lady at the polling booth in my little town said at about 19.00 that she felt it would be a 40% turnout at that time. Not ideal but for a small town better than some might expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

1/16 in favor according to paddypower when I checked earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

We bet on what side we vote who going win yes / no , paddy power do you have a heart I guess not

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    We bet on what side we vote who going win yes / no , paddy power do you have a heart I guess not

Wut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

HIULzJa.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Seems to be a higher turnout than normal - should influence the results positively - am bumping from 63% in favour to 68%. The presidential age thing will fail, finger in the air by 35% to 65%.

Anybody else fancy putting their rep on the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

A friend and colleague of mine, who is gay, was rather upset today. While both her parents and one of her brothers are voting yes, her other brother decided at the last minute to vote no. And his argument is based on this article

/sigh

That guy is unbelievable, his neck must made of solid brass.

I like this particular passage
    But society cannot continue without the unions of men and women. That is as plain as the nose on your face. Clearly these unions are fundamental to society in a way no other unions of whatever kind are.

So heterosexual people are going to have to stop screwing and having kids once this referendum is passed. All you idiots that voted yes, do you realise what you've done!!!1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is there any info yet on turnout percentages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

robindch wrote: »
    Seems to be a higher turnout than normal - should influence the results positively - am bumping from 63% in favour to 68%. The presidential age thing will fail, finger in the air by 35% to 65%.

Anybody else fancy putting their rep on the line?
    I don't like percentiles until I hard hard csv files full of data in front of me to be honest....

But "the nice whiskey" has come out tonight now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'm calling it 70:30.

The higher turnout, plus the higher youth vote might make the age referendum a lot closer than the opinion polls predicted. I'm predicting 50:50. Youth to prevail by 4 votes after a recount. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

saw this mentioned earlier, before 6pm: "Yes vote spread now up to 60.5 in the betting. From 59.5."

this will be a hammer blow of a result if yes does get past 60%; that'd be the biggest referendum turnout ever with the yes count 50% higher than the no count.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smiley92a

I've heard from my cynical (more cynical than me) friends that a legal challenge is almost certain if yes wins. Not because it has any chance of succeeding (the supreme court has never, to my knowledge, overturned a referendum) but because it'll sound better when they're trying to raise funds in the US later on. 'We were overruled by a judge' sounds better than 'we lost a referendum' if you're trying to raise money to continue fighting the 'good' fight in Ireland. I've also heard that the yes campaign have a war chest of all the poster vandalism, etc committed by the no side in the event of a challenge, which is why they haven't been bringing it up in the campaign. Dunno what I think about that or weather it was wise not to talk about it, but what do you think about the legal challenge? I've heard there was one after the divorce referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jimd2 wrote: »
    Why dont you get on with your life, let them get on with their lives

Deal.

But that means they don't try to deny rights to people based on religion, don't use the pulpit to influence a vote, don't call people they don't agree with 'perverts' or 'sinners' or 'damned'.

It's (some) religious people who have a problem with letting other people get on with their lives - nobody is calling for anyone to be denied the ability to worship their religion or to live their life according to it - it's when they start saying that other people should live that way too that people like me object and object strongly.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm just hoping I'll be celebrating tomorrow night! This new heathen Ireland is a hell of a lot more human!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Smiley92a wrote: »
    I've heard from my cynical (more cynical than me) friends that a legal challenge is almost certain if yes wins. Not because it has any chance of succeeding (the supreme court has never, to my knowledge, overturned a referendum) but because it'll sound better when they're trying to raise funds in the US later on. 'We were overruled by a judge' sounds better than 'we lost a referendum' if you're trying to raise money to continue fighting the 'good' fight in Ireland. I've also heard that the yes campaign have a war chest of all the poster vandalism, etc committed by the no side in the event of a challenge, which is why they haven't been bringing it up in the campaign. Dunno what I think about that or weather it was wise not to talk about it, but what do you think about the legal challenge? I've heard there was one after the divorce referendum.

Let them continue to make fools out of themselves and throw the toys out of the pram if they want, tbh.

On a related note, I can't wait to see Breda's next article in the event of a yes vote. It's going to be hilarious. We might even get a rant out of Waters. I can hardly contain myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Smiley92a wrote: »

Based on recent judgements in relation to the challenge of the Children's referendum result I doubt any such challenge would even get more than 5 minutes of time in the High court much less get anywhere near the Supreme court. :)

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Newstalk said 60/40 Yes from rural Tralee boxes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

silverharp wrote: »
    Newstalk said 60/40 Yes from rural Tralee boxes

One box shows that every vote matters.

https://twitter.com/Keith_Hoare/status/602027335857090560

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Is there anywhere where we can check tallies for each polling station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

wench wrote: »

I really need to get that "Where's your God now?" t-shirt printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

wench wrote: »
    I like how it's getting by far the most favourites and retweets than anything else he's posted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Can we auction off those red herrings now, then?

Check this out for sour grapes: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057433382

That reminds me: where has JimiTime gone? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Passed by Cork city hall earlier. A distinct air of fabulousness about although it was far quieter than it would be for a general election count. A fair few people wearing "Yes" badges around town too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement