Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Anyone seen any locusts yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Anyone seen any locusts yet?

It's tornadoes you have to watch out for.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/20/illinois-tornadoes-gay-marriage-_n_4309957.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Well done, ladies and gentlemen, well done indeed! Very proud to be Irish today. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Voted at 0705hrs with the wife.

Beat you to the punch, voted at 06:45a.m. yesterday. 'Tis grand being a Polling Clerk, don't have to wait in the queues.

Edit: I've Radio 1 on in the background and about 20mins ago there were two "no" groupies on defending the massive defeat, the first being a woman whose name I didn't catch* and she had two rationales, 1) "just because we lost doesn't mean that we should necessarily accept the democratic mandate, and we should be allowed to continue to discriminate against LGBT people", and 2) "If I don't mention the fact we lost at all, nor acknowledge the Yes vote's scale of victory, then we didn't lose and we can pretend that the gheys are still not true human beings"; and David "children are too important to be entrusted to the gheys, but not important enough that we should check that rich people are suitable to bring up children" Quinn, whose defence is "but some future government could make it that the rcc has to marry gay couples, this victory is worse than Hitler^!" and "we might, if we're really lucky, get 35% of the vote. That means the No side actually won." And neither of them had the grace or decent humanity to congratulate their opposition on a polite, unoffensive campaign which lead to a massive victory.

Also my parish (well the Grean side of it, I haven't seen the Templebreadon tallies anywhere yet) seems to be coming out a bit lower than I thought at 54% (I was expecting 60%).

*I was out the back scooping up dog **** when she was introduced.

^Ok he didn't say that last bit, but the hysteria of his pronouncement had it on the cusp of his tongue

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What a landslide!

Ronan Mullins on RTE news just said he thought the No side did very well in debates.
    What a pompous clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

5uspect wrote: »
    What a landslide!

Ronan Mullins on RTE news just said he thought the No side did very well in debates.
    What a pompous clown.

They did do very well in the debates. They framed the debates their way. They interrupted before a good point by the Yes side could be made. They went as off topic as possible. They dodged questions. They threw out stupid analogies forcing the Yes side to use some of their time to destroy them. And because they put the sh*ts up everyone regarding "balance", they could only be called on so much of their bullsh*t before the presenters had to move on.

They didn't make a salient point in any debate, but they controlled and shaped most of the debates while scaremongering. That was their aim, and they did it well.

Bad Horse wrote: »

They didn't make a salient point in any debate, but they controlled and shaped most of the debates while scaremongering. That was their aim, and they did it well.

It was interesting to compare the SSM debate with the Savita Halappanavar tragedy. Iona were very quick to distance themselves from the latter as it wasn't a battleground of their choosing - instead they left it to the internet brigade to bang on and on about it like a safety valve while the official line was "We're waiting for the final report on the matter."

Is there anywhere where we can check tallies for each polling station?

having great fun looking at Galway Tallies on spreadsheet

My own village was 79 Votes Yes to 61 Votes No

I don't know if anyone posted this, but just saw it in the Examiner:

https://twitter.com/Stephanenny/status/602054231697313792/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

5uspect wrote: »
    What a landslide!

What a pompous clown.

also said that authoritarianism wasn't dead in Ireland because all political parties supported a Yes vote, and they had brought politics into disrepute.

Then RTE cut the feed to presumably scold the bold Ronan :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I suddenly feel the weight of societal pressure to get married. What have we done? :eek: :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's tornadoes you have to watch out for.

I suddenly feel the weight of societal pressure to get married. What have we done? :eek: :D

All ye in long term relationships prepare to get the "So are ye next?" question always asked at weddings :D:P

SW wrote: »
    also said that authoritarianism wasn't dead in Ireland because all political parties supported a Yes vote, and they had brought politics into disrepute.

Then RTE cut the feed to presumably scold the bold Ronan :pac:

And a "jobs for the boys" unopposed nomination to a closed shop seat in The Seanad is portraying Irish politics in a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

They did do very well in the debates. They framed the debates their way. They interrupted before a good point by the Yes side could be made. They went as off topic as possible. They dodged questions. They threw out stupid analogies forcing the Yes side to use some of their time to destroy them. And because they put the sh*ts up everyone regarding "balance", they could only be called on so much of their bullsh*t before the presenters had to move on.

Dinesh D'Souza emplys a similar tactic known as the Gish Gallop:
    The Gish Gallop is the debating technique of drowning the opponent in such a torrent of small arguments that their opponent cannot possibly answer or address each one in real time. More often than not, these myriad arguments are full of half-truths, lies, and straw-man arguments — the only condition is that there be many of them, not that they be particularly compelling on their own. They may be escape hatches or "gotcha" arguments that are specifically designed to be brief, but take a long time to unravel.

The No side also managed to play the victim, accusing Yes voters of bullying. Pa-lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

can no longer use the excuse that I won't get married until there is equality ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

All while he's patting himself on the back for such underhanded behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Listening to Ronan Mullen earlier reminded me of this.

giphy.gif

Here's what it means to those in the LGBT community (our family and friends).

7whkihN.jpg

Gave me a lump. No tears though, cos I'm a proper bloke. How about those Red Sox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dinesh D'Souza emplys a similar tactic known as the Gish Gallop:

The No side also managed to play the victim, accusing Yes voters of bullying. Pa-lease.

Exactly. Yer wan from Iona on the last Primetime debate was asked about equality and started talking about how she might lose friends and open herself up to abuse by revealing herself to be on the No side

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    ok i voted now but make it easier to find the voting boot if they put arrows pointing where i suppose to vote and have the voting cards in english so i can read it, anyway i vote yes on both cards even so i couldn't read it because all the language on the card was in irish .

That's strange, legally polling cards and the voting slips have to be in both Irish and English (Irish first because of its constitutional primacy).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And a "jobs for the boys" unopposed nomination to a closed shop seat in The Seanad is portraying Irish politics in a good light.

Mullen was actually elected by NUI graduates.

What were they thinking?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

What were they thinking?

Im going to vote in that election just so anyone whos not him gets a +1

What were they thinking?

I've said it before but...

I know three people, three progressive liberal people, with NUI votes, none of whom have ever actually used them. "Too busy/forgot" seems to be the case each time. :(

I walked down Grafton St at about 6:30 yesterday, lots of happy smiling Yes campaigners about, lots of ordinary people out and about with Yes badges and stickers. Ben Conroy was looking a bit glum trying to hand out No flyers. Nobody wanted them...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The funniest "No" threads in that forum are all about victimhood, and so on. One talks about standing up against "liberal orthodoxy", whatever the heck that is. :P

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Went out for a stroll earlier and decided that ABBA Gold was the most appropriate soundtrack given the weekend that's in it.*

Anyways, as I passed a "A mother's love is irreplaceable" No poster, I mused that it's a lot more appropriate a slogan than the intended meaning given the margin of Yes votes and the demographics involved.

* I went off to vote yesterday while listening to Dusty Springfield.

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    The funniest "No" threads in that forum are all about victimhood, and so on. One talks about standing up against "liberal orthodoxy", whatever the heck that is. :P

Some other nonsensical terms:

Intolerant liberalism
    Extreme moderates
    Pro-homosexual
    Militant atheism

If you ask some religious folks, they'll tell you that atheism is a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement