Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender issues in After Hours - Your feedback requested.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'm not really going to be dismissing anything as posters "filling their desire for thanks whoring" at this point tbh.

I'm a bit confused here. Are you saying if you have the smart posters who thanks whore with the "blast her/yore ma/back in the ktichen/etc" post the usually standard meme type reply, you'll want that banned?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What I'm saying is that there's much more inherent examples of gender issues in AH than do-able comments. You should be looking more at threads about overweight people, inequality in the workplace, rape (mentioning that is a cliche in itself at this stage), and relationship/platonic friendships related threads. These would be the biggest examples of where I'd see a gender divide in AH.

Thanks Bob.

I am going to have to admit I've been guilty of missing some of this stuff. This kind of discussion gives me at least some idea of the scale of the problem and where it occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Millicent wrote: »
    Dr. Bollocko, I just want to reiterate my appreciation of you and the other AH mods. It does mean a lot that you are listening and searching for solutions.

My answer to this would be a rewording of the charter. The rule "no blatant sexism" should be revised to "no sexism". That's it. That would do all the work that needs to be done and would stop this being an issue. Why are women fair game for it in a subtle way but other races are not? Why the distinction? I'm not saying call a halt to the jokes but there are some things that are funny and some things that are not. I like risque and off-colour humour but what I see again and again is not humour and it's not funny -- it's weak, bullying, schoolyard name-calling of the opposite sex. It's not acceptable from either gender.

I would think that's there to point out that there is a difference between being blatantly sexist which is against the rules and holding a point of view that some may feel to be sexist. As Wibbs said there needs to be room for discussion on certain things. Lawliet linked a post on the thread about the girl who passed out at the party as an example of a problem but if you follow the discussion that followed from it you can get a better picture of what was meant.

Could you link some examples of what you feel to be the really malevolent towards women posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

mackg wrote: »
    I would think that's there to point out that there is a difference between being blatantly sexist which is against the rules and holding a point of view that some may feel to be sexist. As Wibbs said there needs to be room for discussion on certain things. Lawliet linked a post on the thread about the girl who passed out at the party as an example of a problem but if you follow the discussion that followed from it you can get a better picture of what was meant.

Could you link some examples of what you feel to be the really malevolent towards women posts?

I did on the last page. ;)

I'm a bit confused here. Are you saying if you have the smart posters who thanks whore with the "blast her/yore ma/back in the ktichen/etc" post the usually standard meme type reply, you'll want that banned?

I'm not saying anything other than that there's a problem that needs solving and it is specific and it is not to be shrugged off.

However the meme type replies like the above you mention have been actively discouraged with warnings / infractions / bans of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'm not saying anything other than that there's a problem that needs solving and it is specific and it is not to be shrugged off.

However the meme type replies like the above you mention have been actively discouraged with warnings / infractions / bans of late.

Ah right, I'm understanding. I know this is a little bit off topic but the general smart arse replies (so long as their not memes or part of the current problem) aren't going to be looked at.
    If that makes any sense.

TBH, I love the smart arse answers at times and I think without it, AH might lose a bit.

But so far it's just memes and whatever we can figure out from feedback and other decisions that's going to be stopped but not the smartness in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I disagree in that I see a specific problem. The more general one can be taken care of in its own way. I believe the culture of the forum needs to be nurtured away from measuring the merits of a female public figure by whether or not they're "do-able".

That's fair enough but it has to be tempered with a bit of common sense.

Someone posts a thread about female politician X suggesting a policy and someone jumps in with "who cares what she says, she's an ugly bint", well I think most of us would be delighted with seeing that kind of thing disappear.

What I wouldn't like seeing though was that someone posting in a thread on the new Batman movie saying they think Christian Bale has sexy arms, or posting a thread about particularly attractive newsreaders, should feel they can't make those lighthearted harmless comments as there's been a hyper-reactive knee jerk to appease certain people that know how to throw a bit of a wobbly using scary sounding buzz words.

It seems some posters (who thankfully are a tiny minority) with their 'objectification in AH is causing the rape of millions eleventy!!!' stuff would like an AH built to their own desired specs, based on their own pet theories and preferences, and everyone else can just learn to live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Thanks Bob.

I am going to have to admit I've been guilty of missing some of this stuff. This kind of discussion gives me at least some idea of the scale of the problem and where it occurs.

No disrespect intended man and hope it doesn't come across like that.

FWIW the do-able comments are disappointing and I wholeheartedly agree with the example g'em gave of Katie Taylor earlier.

Also, remember that I send that it's not a problem specific to one forum.

strobe wrote: »
    That's fair enough but it has to be tempered with a bit of common sense.

Someone posts a thread about female politician X suggesting a policy and someone jumps in with "who cares what she says, she's an ugly bint", well I think most of us would be delighted with seeing that kind of thing disappear.

What I wouldn't like seeing though was that someone posting in a thread on the new Batman movie saying they think Christian Bale has sexy arms, or posting a thread about particularly attractive newsreaders, should feel they can't make those lighthearted harmless comments as there's been a hyper-reactive knee jerk to appease certain people that know how to throw a bit of a wobbly using scary sounding buzz words.

It seems some posters (who thankfully are a tiny minority) with their 'objectification in AH is causing the rape of millions eleventy!!!' stuff would like an AH built to their own desired specs, based on their own pet theories and preferences, and everyone else can just learn to live with it.

I hope you don't number me as one of those posters. I was thinking about this on the way home -- I don't mind a "phwoarr!!!" post. I do it myself. I could rattle off a list of people I could ate without sauce right now. What I don't do, however, is bring it up in any thread that happens to have a mention of an attractive person in it. Or an unattractive person. If it's appropriate at the time (such as the weird celebrity crush thread recently), I do it. Otherwise, what's the point?

The wording of the charter has been somewhat updated to remove the usage of the term "blatant".

I guess it was indicative that a little bit of sexism was OK. Which was never my intention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I hope you don't number me as one of those posters. I was thinking about this on the way home -- I don't mind a "phwoarr!!!" post. I do it myself. I could rattle off a list of people I could ate without sauce right noe. What I don't do, however, is bring it up in any thread that happens to have a mention of an attractive person in it. Or an unattractive person. If it's appropriate at the time (such as the weird celebrity crush thread recently), I do it. Otherwise, what's the point?

What's the problem in that? People have perception and their own desires, it's only bound to happen.

You might not engage in it yourself but there will always be posters who will.

It's futile pretending that this will go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I hope you don't number me as one of those posters.
    I definitely don't Millicent.
    I was thinking about this on the way home -- I don't mind a "phwoarr!!!" post. I do it myself. I could rattle off a list of people I could ate without sauce right noe. What I don't do, however, is bring it up in any thread that happens to have a mention of an attractive person in it. Or an unattractive person. If it's appropriate at the time (such as the weird celebrity crush thread recently), I do it. Otherwise, what's the point?

Yeah I'd be the same myself probably. I tend to find it a little childish. But AH is a little childish a lot of the time by it's nature. But that's why I gave examples in my post there. Like people have been saying, it's about trying to find an acceptable line in these things, I just think that "phwoarr!!!" posts in and of themselves shouldn't be beyond that line. It's a human thing to express an appreciation of physical attractiveness, has nothing to do with sexism imo, and rarely if ever has any sexist or malevolent intent.

So I think the nature of the posts is what should matter. If they are being used to dismiss other posters opinion or to personally abuse some public figure, then I'd be glad to have seen the end of them. But if it's just people "phwoaring", childish as it may sometimes be, then I think that's just all part and parcel of a lighthearted general topic forum and it would be ridiculously stuffy and silly to try and enforce a ban on it.

flyswatter wrote: »
    What's the problem in that? People have perception and their own desires, it's only bound to happen.

You might not engage in it yourself but there will always be posters who will.

It's futile pretending that this will go away.

It's not futile and why should there "always" be posters who engage in it? Do we need posters who apparently can't control themselves enough not to drag every thread off topic by bestowing the honour of being "do-able" on people who didn't ask for it?

I definitely don't Millicent.

Thank you. :)

Yeah I'd be the same myself probably. I tend to find it a little childish. But AH is a little childish a lot of the time by it's nature. But that's why I gave examples in my post there. Like people have been saying, it's about trying to find an acceptable line in these things, I just think that "phwoarr!!!" posts in and of themselves shouldn't be beyond that line. It's a human thing to express an appreciation of physical attractiveness, has nothing to do with sexism imo, and rarely if ever has any sexist or malevolent intent.

So I think the nature of the posts is what should matter. If they are being used to dismiss other posters opinion or to personally abuse some public figure, then I'd be glad to have seen the end of them. But if it's just people "phwoaring", childish as it may sometimes be, then I think that's just all part and parcel of a lighthearted general topic forum and it would be ridiculously stuffy and silly to try and enforce a ban on it.

That's it exactly. I don't mind in messing threads -- I love some of the most smart-arse threads in AH. It's knowing, observing and responding to the tone of the thread. If people can't seem to do that, they're not useful as posters and don't need to be coddled.

Tbh, the worse ones are like the ones I posted on the previous page. The ones that come out of leftfield that have nothing to do with the topic always leave me a bit angry. Those and the "some women"/"some Irish women" ones (cos they've gotten too smart to make it sound like they're referring to all) are the infuriating ones.

Ooh, also the victim blaming ones on rape threads. Sorry, I'm on a roll here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

It's not futile and why should there "always" be posters who engage in it? Do we need posters who apparently can't control themselves enough not to drag every thread off topic by bestowing the honour of being "do-able" on people who didn't ask for it?

I'm saying posts of this nature will regularly exist. Whether or not they will be curtailed is up to the mods.

Do you have a problem if the tables are turned and it's female posters making such posts?

flyswatter wrote: »
    I'm saying posts of this nature will regularly exist. Whether or not they will be curtailed is up to the mods.

Do you have a problem if the tables are turned and it's female posters making such posts?

If it's off-topic, yeah I do. What makes it more problematic though for female posters here is how outnumbered they are by male posters. While it's wrong if either gender does it, the sheer force of numbers on the male side means that if/when it's allowed, it creates a tone to the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Why would I not concern myself with people who are lessening my enjoyment of a forum I do my utmost to interact positively with? Why should I turn a blind eye to their bad behaviour when I regulate my own?

I never said don't concern yourself with people lessening your enjoyment of the AH :confused:

You posted:
    I think doing things behind closed doors just leads some to believe that the mods are complicit in that sort of posting

I quoted the above comment and directly after it posted:
    Well, don't concern yourself with those people

Quite clearly, I am saying don't concern yourself with the *some* you are referencing.

I'm not sure what your second paragraph refers to here. I am going on info given to me by an AH mod that this is how certain troublesome posters are dealt with.

It referred to your remark about that *some* that believe mods are complicit with users posting sexist remarks, which is why I went into detail about why it would be hard for a mod to be complicit with anyone.
    Additionally, the mods don't need to be complicit. They just need to be *seen* as complicit. The silence around those bannings serves to, IMO, create a perception of complicity, even though it is not the case.

I understand that mods don't have to be a certain way to be seen as a certain way but it's no harm pointing out to those people who believe such things, just exactly why it is almost impossible for mods to actually be complicit with banned users.
    You hope I set them straight on how the mods feel?

You said that some users "believe" that the mods are complicit with banned users, right? But you said that you yourself DON'T believe that to be the case, right? And so, I said: "Great, well I hope you set them straight". Simple.
    I don't accept that. These were talking into the wee hours, getting pissed together, sleep over at my house cos it's late type of male friends. None of them particularly new-agey or anything but they had inherent respect for women. Just because someone is on the internet does not give them carte blanche to forget their social manners.

Nothing that I said in my post would lead someone to even remotely believe that I am believe because people are online, that they should have "carte blanche" to forget their social manners. I mean, seriously.

My point was and still is: that you can't expect men (or women) when posting in After Hours to come across as balanced as they do in real life. It doesn't matter that you were drinking with those guys and sleeping over with 'em. If anything, that would just reinforce my point, as you were seeing all sides and facets to them and not just one or two sides, like you would on a forum like After Hours.

I'll try and make my point in a different way, using myself as an example:

Quite often when I read or post in After Hours, the frame of mind that I am in will be one of not wanting to be all that serious. I will usually want to maybe read something that doesn't require much thinking and hopefully have a laugh there at the same time (I doubt I am alone in that). So, lets say if a thread is started and (for example) Miriam O'Callaghan is the topic of the OP, then chances are, that the first thing I am going to think of when I see her name in the thread title: are her boobs (apologies, I am sorry but I'm being honest here).

Not only do I think that would happen, I know it would in fact, as it did. A user started a thread announcing that, after some deep thought, Miriam had decided not to leave Ireland and pledged her commitment to the RTE current affairs Prime Time for a number of years instead and I replied:
    Thank Christ for that.

I was worried that what with the size of her breasts and all, her sudden departure could mess with Ireland's gravitational pull.

Now, I realise that the above is quite immature (especially for a man of my age) and could be deemed as sexist (I don't think that it is though) but do I think it's appropriate for After Hours? You're darn tootin I do. I concede that certain users would rather I did not comment on Miriam's body (maybe mods included?) just because she happens to be the subject of an After Hour's thread, I honestly get that. However, I feel such people are wrong.

Why? Well, because After Hours is supposed to be a forum where there is a place for such humour, or at least it used to be. I'll challenge anyone that feels dead baby jokes and "gags" belong there but humour that is somewhat risque and adult in nature has always fitted AH like a glove and so I think bringing in rules and or changes that would make my joke (and others like it) inappropriate, would kill the forum dead and I for one hope it never comes to that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That I would wholeheartedly agree with. I'm always getting asked for examples on stuff like this so I have been keeping a mental itinerary.

This thread has a lot of what I think is wrong and horrible with AH sometimes.

A question about maternity leave and jobs has these answers:

Another one on "Should school uniforms be abolished" had a poster saying he didn't think women in their 40s should wear short skirts. That was, IIRC, in the fecking OP!

Another post, on the same page, from another poster, a post that all women in their 20s should spread their legs.

Posts here:

Posts like these create a hostile environment for female posters. They are unnecessary, classless and are not funny. In the slightest.

FWIW, I reported most of these posts. I thought the worst had been erased -- turns out it had just been merged into a new thread.
    OK M I see your point(s), though this is where this is or can be a bloody minefield. Take the first thread you quoted. I'd be in full agreement that statements like that are just taking the bloody piss and well out of order. Ditto for the all women in their 20's should spread their legs at work. Pretty damn clear.

However I'd be a lot less twitchy about the women over 40 should cover up one. Why? It's part of a reasoned enough post setting out his opinion and he says it to illustrate the point. The bit you emphasised in isolation might well be an "ehh wut?" line, but he follows it with do I have the right to make that decision? No. Nor should I tbf . For me that makes all the difference. EG I would be of the personal opinion that men over 30 with beer bellies swanning around in sandals(besocked naturally) and shorts are eye poison and if I had my way would be taken aside and shot from a cannon. Is this sexist? Particularly if I followed that statement up with "but that's just me"?

My concern is that in the rush and real need to curb the "get your tits out love" posts and posters, we also risk lose something from the forum, or we find ourselves cosntantly editing in case someone gets aggrieved. With many subjects someone always will. People can be sensitive souls myself included. And that's fine too, so long as it's not masquerading as censorship of discourse. I'm not talking about this "free speech" bullshít either. Maybe it's just me, but I can't abide an environment where everyone is agreeing with just one viewpoint, even if I think an opposing viewpoint is utterly daft, I still want to see/read/take it apart/learn and be informed from it and I think there can be a danger inherent in all this of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ok, so my feedback is probably on AH as a whole rather than solely about gender issues. Hope that's alright, and I apologise in advance for my post, I'm not now, nor shall I ever be, an eloquent poster or even one that's good at getting my point across :o

I've read this thread a few times, before reading it I would genuinely have said, nope, there aren't any problems with AH. Now, there were plenty of things I didn't like, but I felt they were my own problem and so I dealt with those myself, either by reporting posts, or by keeping out of threads I didn't like. But now that I've read the issues raised by others, I see it wasn't exactly right of me to think that everything is hunky dory. 

I love After Hours, I post very regularly, however I mostly only post in the "fun" threads and this thread has made me ask myself, why? The reason really, is because I know if I fail to conform the AH standard, I may end up in an argument with another poster, and it's usually an argument that I'm never going to win. Now I want to be very explicit about the fact that I have never been attacked because of my gender (which is blatantly obvious!!!) But I have, many a time, gotten the "lighten up, this is AH." The fact is though, that I'm usually a very light hearted person, I don't take offence easily, and agree completely that there are definitley times when "this is AH" is perfectly acceptable. I take jokes as jokes for the most part, but when those jokes become about rape or dead babies, then they're just not funny any more. But I'm going to have to stick up for the majority of AH posters and say that for every one asshole, there are ten decent people who are willing fight them down, unfortunately those ten people may not always be around in that one thread and so it will escalate, and it's those threads that then reflect badly on the forum. This Male rape thread . is just one example. Some people thought it was ok to joke, most though, didn’t. There was even some vitcim blaming, and the wrong kind of "this is AH" is shown clearly here. 
    Sharrow wrote: »
    The remit of the tGC and tLL is to host discussion for each gender.
    AH is a general forum and neither gender should be made feel unwelcome there.

Sorry Sharrow, I just need to comment on this, neither gender should be made feel unwelcome in any forum on Boards.

Onixx wrote: »
    "Don't like it? Don't read it!" - stupid soundbite.

Yeh, and that's the point of the feedback thread. It should be a case of, well if that many people don't like it, there’s something not right. Let's fix it.

From my POV the "All Irish women are crap all foridn women are great" threads are on the GTFO list.

Yes. Ugh……as Eve_Dublin said.....

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    They're filled with malice and always turn nasty.

This is where my feeling on the whole issue lies really, Malice.

I have no problem with the "what was she doing out of the kitchen" jokes. I find them quite funny on a rare occasion, and I have probably made similar ones myself. When they start appearing in every thread, or once things turn malevolent, that's when I have a problem. But this applies to a lot of things in After Hours, not just matters of sexism.

So anyway, I'm waffling, for me, the issues which I feel are present in AH are;

The term “rape” being thrown around. However, this is usually (I would say always but I can’t know for sure), met with a ban.

The “Irish women are all princesses, they’re all fat and ugly, they’re all gold diggers”, I don’t personally find them offensive because I generally don’t find ignorant gobshytes offensive. They sometimes take a little bit longer to get closed, and they turn nasty. It’s often very unclear if any action has been taken against the posters or if the thread has simply been locked.

Flirting. There’s one liners and then it’s dropped and that’s fine. But when it’s continual it makes for uncomfortable reading. This is being stamped out, but it still happens.

The biggest problem of all, IMO, is general nastiness right across the forum, and this applies to both sexes. If you don’t conform to the AH standard then you can GTFO.

I agree with a lot of other posters who have said it’s mostly general dickish behaviour, some sexism will fall into that behaviour, some xenophobia, some homophobia, some racism, but mostly, these idiots don’t care if you’re male or female, if they wanted to dislike you for you opinion they would find a reason regardless, and being female is just their excuse. Nastiness, whatever it’s motive, needs to be eradicated, it’s the mods’ main job; closing threads, moving threads, keeping threads on topic etc is there too of course, but they are really there for when the posters are unable to remain civil (that's obviously my view on things as a mod of a different forum, AH mods may feel very differently). 

I agree with a lot of things in this thread, and I disagree with a lot of others. I think it's great that the mods/cmods/admins have seen that there is a problem that needs to be resolved. I think though, us as posters have to take a lot of the responsibility too, report more posts, stand up against these posters who are ruining your experience of the forum, mods cannot possibly read every post in After Hours. It's impossible. I've seen so many times people saying "why haven't the mods closed this thread" and yet they haven't reported it!! 

I know I've said a lot without really touching on the gender issue, but I honestly feel it's best I leave that to the people who have been affected by it first hand, as I'm not going to do their argument any justice. I definitely agree more now, than I would have before, that there are problems there. If it's stopping women from posting in AH then it needs to be addressed. I would however agree that is needs to be fair on both sexes.

Bottom line; Report posts, come down harder on people being sexist/racist/bigoted/knobbish. Make their punishments more transparent, both for those who think their reported posts are going un-actioned, and for other posters who may think that kind of carry on is acceptable.

So, that's my stance on it. Load of bollox probably but sure, take it as you will. :)

I'm not now, nor shall I ever be, an eloquent poster or even one that's good at getting my point across :o

.. anyway, I'm waffling ..

Agreed with pretty much everything you said whoopsadaisydoodles, apart from the above that is.

Great post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pretty decent thread in AH atm here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Great post Whoopsadaisydoodles. Fair play to you for all the time and thought and effort you put into it.

Oh and ineloquent? "Load of bollox"? Gtfo! :D

Cody, sorry it's taken so long to write you back. One of those days and I didn't want to give you a rushed answer.
    I never said don't concern yourself with people lessening your enjoyment of the AH :confused:

[snipped quotes]

Quite clearly, I am saying don't concern yourself with the *some* you are referencing.

But they are my concern when they are acting in a way that directly curbs my enjoyment of the forum. Those who think they will get away with it, even if they are banned a short while/long while later, create an atmosphere, such as that which I highlighted in a previous post.

I understand that mods don't have to be a certain way to be seen as a certain way but it's no harm pointing out to those people who believe such things, just exactly why it is almost impossible for mods to actually be complicit with banned users.

You said that some users "believe" that the mods are complicit with banned users, right? But you said that you yourself DON'T believe that to be the case, right? And so, I said: "Great, well I hope you set them straight". Simple.

I wouldn't have thought that my place, tbh. I am not a mod so I do not try to speak for mods (in this feedback thread, I am just quoting a mod). It is the mods' place to put those posters straight, not mine. I report when I see an offensive post but that's where my place in it ends. I am not a mod.

Nothing that I said in my post would lead someone to even remotely believe that I am believe because people are online, that they should have "carte blanche" to forget their social manners. I mean, seriously.

My point was and still is: that you can't expect men (or women) when posting in After Hours to come across as balanced as they do in real life. It doesn't matter that you were drinking with those guys and sleeping over with 'em. If anything, that would just reinforce my point, as you were seeing all sides and facets to them and not just one or two sides, like you would on a forum like After Hours.

Why not? If you wouldn't say something in public without expected a slap in the head for it/someone flipping out at you, why say it on the internet? There is a nastiness that the internet seems to bring out in some people. I see no reason to foster it.
    I'll try and make my point in a different way, using myself as an example:

Quite often when I read or post in After Hours, the frame of mind that I am in will be one of not wanting to be all that serious. I will usually want to maybe read something that doesn't require much thinking and hopefully have a laugh there at the same time (I doubt I am alone in that). So, lets say if a thread is started and (for example) Miriam O'Callaghan is the topic of the OP, then chances are, that the first thing I am going to think of when I see her name in the thread title: are her boobs (apologies, I am sorry but I'm being honest here).

Not only do I think that would happen, I know it would in fact, as it did. A user started a thread announcing that, after some deep thought, Miriam had decided not to leave Ireland and pledged her commitment to the RTE current affairs Prime Time for a number of years instead and I replied:

Now, I realise that the above is quite immature (especially for a man of my age) and could be deemed as sexist (I don't think that it is though) but do I think it's appropriate for After Hours? You're darn tootin I do. I concede that certain users would rather I did not comment on Miriam's body (maybe mods included?) just because she happens to be the subject of an After Hour's thread, I honestly get that. However, I feel such people are wrong.

Why? Well, because After Hours is supposed to be a forum where there is a place for such humour, or at least it used to be. I'll challenge anyone that feels dead baby jokes and "gags" belong there but humour that is somewhat risque and adult in nature has always fitted AH like a glove and so I think bringing in rules and or changes that would make my joke (and others like it) inappropriate, would kill the forum dead and I for one hope it never comes to that.

So you see nothing wrong with the first page of a thread being devoted to Miriam's baps and do-ability? Do you seriously not? If a Pat Kenny thread started and a load of women rushed in to say "I'd ride him", "he'd get it", etc. etc. completely throwing the thread off topic, it wouldn't bother you?

If no, how about if almost every thread that featured a man started to follow the same path, with a pissing contest going for who can be the most hilarious in reducing that person to an object of desirability, lacking in any ability to see that person as a person, that wouldn't peeve you? Imagine that's a thread about your mam or sister or girlfriend or wife. Would you feel the same?

There is humour and then there is the complete inability to seemingly take women seriously sometimes. Not all the time, don't get me wrong, but enough times that there is a pattern to it.

Wibbs wrote: »
    OK M I see your point(s), though this is where this is or can be a bloody minefield. Take the first thread you quoted. I'd be in full agreement that statements like that are just taking the bloody piss and well out of order. Ditto for the all women in their 20's should spread their legs at work. Pretty damn clear.

However I'd be a lot less twitchy about the women over 40 should cover up one. Why? It's part of a reasoned enough post setting out his opinion and he says it to illustrate the point. The bit you emphasised in isolation might well be an "ehh wut?" line, but he follows it with do I have the right to make that decision? No. Nor should I tbf . For me that makes all the difference. EG I would be of the personal opinion that men over 30 with beer bellies swanning around in sandals(besocked naturally) and shorts are eye poison and if I had my way would be taken aside and shot from a cannon. Is this sexist? Particularly if I followed that statement up with "but that's just me"?

Would you believe, that's the only one of those posts I didn't report? Can't say as I was delighted to see it in the post, but I got that it was done for illustrative purposes. Perhaps not the best illustration but I got it. The rest really are the sort of thing I'm complaining about.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    My concern is that in the rush and real need to curb the "get your tits out love" posts and posters, we also risk lose something from the forum, or we find ourselves cosntantly editing in case someone gets aggrieved. With many subjects someone always will. People can be sensitive souls myself included. And that's fine too, so long as it's not masquerading as censorship of discourse. I'm not talking about this "free speech" bullshít either. Maybe it's just me, but I can't abide an environment where everyone is agreeing with just one viewpoint, even if I think an opposing viewpoint is utterly daft, I still want to see/read/take it apart/learn and be informed from it and I think there can be a danger inherent in all this of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Wibbs, I know it's a thin line. I really do. I don't envy the mods the task of taking on posts like this. I like the joking, sometimes smutty nature of AH. I wouldn't keep coming back to the place if I didn't. I have often nudged my boyfriend as I am snorting with laughter at a post to show him what someone has written (only for him to look at me like I'm mental :pac:).

However, there is a difference to the posts that are gently mocking and those that are just malicious. Those malicious ones come laden with judgement or ire at women: the "Is my housemate a slut?" thread; the "Irish women/some women are bitches/gold-diggers/ugly" threads; the "silly girl for getting drunk around a bunch of men" posts on the thread about a potential rape on Brazilian Big Brother; those posts I highlighted. These are all just ones off the top of my head.

I like discussing things on AH. I don't want everyone to have my same viewpoint. I'm aware I can get pretty heated but I will always think about what is being said if done in a respectful manner. In fact, I have come back to people who had a completely opposing viewpoint on some threads and said, "You know what? I actually take your point and have changed my mind." However, I draw the line at having to put up with either sexism or racism on AH and any semblance of a culture of either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So you see nothing wrong with the first page of a thread being devoted to Miriam's baps and do-ability? Do you seriously not? If a Pat Kenny thread started and a load of women rushed in to say "I'd ride him", "he'd get it", etc. etc. completely throwing the thread off topic, it wouldn't bother you?
    One part of this M may be that there is a slight gender gap here and for many, if not most men it actually wouldn't bother them. That's why they don't see an issue and why it can be hard for men to take this seriously.

The simple fact is we're not physically scrutinised or sexualised to nearly the same degree as women*. With the result that most of the time this kinda thing just washes over us. Indeed if a man did complain about such a thing, rather than support, he'd much more likely get calls of "ah cop on would ya. Grow a pair". Being honest? I'd be more likely to fall into the grow a pair camp as a first principle, even though applying thought to it I might see their point. We also tend to be more combative as a gender in discourse, even polite discourse. Miss those two and you can end up with "what are the women whining about" and dismissive stuff of that nature.

*now blokes may come along and witter on about six packs on movies stars or whatever, but it's like comparing a swimming pool to the ocean when compared to the near constant image barrage that women are exposed to.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Cody, sorry it's taken so long to write you back. One of those days and I didn't want to give you a rushed answer.

No problem.
    But they are my concern when they are acting in a way that directly curbs my enjoyment of the forum.

I said, twice now, that I was not not talking about those people or are you saying that the *some* who believe AH mods might be complicit, are the very same people who go on to get banned "behind the scenes" for sexist comments? As that would be only way your comments would make any sense.
    Those who think they will get away with it, even if they are banned a short while/long while later, create an atmosphere, such as that which I highlighted in a previous post.

But if they've been banned once, then mods will usually increase bans when users re-offend for similar offences. So even if they did return and attempt to post in that same sexist manner, they wouldn't last very long before getting an even longer ban.
    I wouldn't have thought that my place, tbh. I am not a mod so I do not try to speak for mods (in this feedback thread, I am just quoting a mod). It is the mods' place to put those posters straight, not mine. I report when I see an offensive post but that's where my place in it ends. I am not a mod.

I never said you were a mod nor that you should should act like a one.

You said that some users believe AH mods are complicit with certain members who got banned for sexist comments (while adding that you yourself didn't endorse those views) and that sounded to me like you know this because those users have said this to you personally (via either PM or to your face, as I have never seen that posted on Boards before) and so that is why I said: "Well, I hope you set them straight" has nothing whatsoever to do with me thinking you should act like a mod.
    Why not? If you wouldn't say something in public without expected a slap in the head for it/someone flipping out at you, why say it on the internet?

I take it you're talking about people using an element of sexism in an attempt to be funny or thanks whore (which is all I am defending here).

If Frankie Boyle (or any comedian for that matter) said to people's faces in the street, what they often says to audience members from the stage, then no doubt they would get a slap like you suggest, but they are on a stage trying to be funny and so different rules apply. Same goes with AH, as that's the one forum on Boards where users can converse in a humorous manner.

If I am posting on a thread and trying to be funny (at which I usually fail) I will quite often just filter out the serious posts and let those users continue their conversation. If I am being serious, I will filter out the jokes instead. Sometimes I will partake in both at the same time. What I won't do however, is call the barman/lady over and tell him that the people at our table are trying to discuss a serious issue and the idiots at the next table won't stop making jokes, as he/she would just say: "It's after hours, you're lucky to be in here at all".
    There is a nastiness that the internet seems to bring out in some people. I see no reason to foster it.

Nobody, is nor has defended "nastiness". We all want that to be moderated I believe. Nasty and snide tone has always been something which has been moderated in AH.

Users may have always gotten away with posting sexist jokes were the essence of the punchline was that women belonged in the kitchen, but you would never have gotten away with say: jumping on a thread and calling out a female user, dismissing her views on a serious topic and directing a nasty comment like the following at her: "Oh, fuck off back to the kitchen there love, you're talking pure shite!"

Which is precisely why I believe that the moderation of the forum in this particular area of sexism was and is fine, always has been and I also why I don't think the charter should have been amended as it has been. Not that my opinion matters all that much here but I feel it was done to appease certain people and I don't those people should have been appeased. There was no need for it and as it now stands, the charter amendment will just make moderating sexism tougher, as it will inevitably be used by some as a stick to beat mods with, to put pressure on them to moderate the type of jokes that don't and never did need moderating.
    So you see nothing wrong with the first page of a thread being devoted to Miriam's baps and do-ability?

I have been reading After Hours since 2001 and know fine well that posts like those don't continue for long, if they did: the regulars of the forum themselves would just begin taking the michael out of those users for continuing to make jokes which have already being made on the thread, it would get tired very quick. I really don't think it's anything like the problem that you are suggesting it is.

Can you post links to threads you feel were like that?

Even if it that was the problem you suggest, what exactly do you propose AH mods do to curb it? How could they make sure there was only a certain amount of jokes regarding Miriam's baps? How could they somehow to manage to enforce some kind of volume cap on them? Wouldn't the users who made the later jokes just say: "Hang on, how come Cody gets to make a joke about Miriam's boobs and now we're being moderated for ours? Unfair :mad:".
    Do you seriously not? If a Pat Kenny thread started and a load of women rushed in to say "I'd ride him", "he'd get it", etc. etc. completely throwing the thread off topic, it wouldn't bother you?

Of course it wouldn't. It's not tGC or Television or even Celebs - it's After Hours. Afters Hours was named After Hours for a reason, they didn't just think it sounded good and went with it.
    If no, how about if almost every thread that featured a man started to follow the same path, with a pissing contest going for who can be the most hilarious in reducing that person to an object of desirability, lacking in any ability to see that person as a person, that wouldn't peeve you?

First of all, that does not happen. The above description of how threads go in After Hours go does not resemble the forum at all. You are making the place sound like a zoo. Again, I have seen some threads like that over the years, but they always went on to get locked and sometimes even deleted.
    Imagine that's a thread about your mam or sister or girlfriend or wife. Would you feel the same?

I would have no problem with any family member of mine being discussed in a way that mods have allowed Irish citizens to be discussed in AH, none. Any comment that I have seen there, which I would object to, was always eventually moderated. Have there been comments made on the forum that would have me irate if people said them about my family? Sure, but as I said in one of my earlier posts, famous men are subject to the same tripe but again, that tripe gets moderated.
    There is humour and then there is the complete inability to seemingly take women seriously sometimes. Not all the time, don't get me wrong, but enough times that there is a pattern to it.

I have never got the impression that Women were not taken seriously on After Hours. Nor have I ever got the impression that women's opinions on the forum were not taken just as seriously as men's either. I also don't think I have ever seen men on the forum belittle a women just because they were in fact female and if that were ever to occur, other men on AH would be the first ones to call them on it and take great pleasure in it too.

Let me turn the tables here a little. How would women feel if, whenever men had an issue with something that they posted, men got away with dismissing their views off by calling them misandrists, claiming bitterness and trouble with men in their personal lives was really what lay at the heart of why they held the opinions that they did. Or how about if whenever women tried to give an opinion some aspect of the real lives, men on AH just told them to grow some breasts and ovaries and woman-up!

Sexism comes in all shapes and sizes. Sure, sometimes it is mean, nasty (to both sexes) and downright vulgar but sometimes also, it can be funny. Continue to moderate the former and leave the latter alone. Tone and intention is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In the olden days (like 20 years ago :D) young fellas would gather behind the bicycle sheds to smoke and tell dirty jokes and generally show off and try and make sense of their sexuality. Everyone knew it happened, many most men (and a lot of women) had engaged in it and grown out of it, but it didn't affect anyone other than the young fellas because they were the only ones hearing it.

It still happens - young fellas drinking cans in the park - but in addition these same people share their jokes and opinions on the internet, where everyone gets to see it. Sometimes this is in the comment sections of You Tube or sites where anything goes, sometimes it is on Boards and creates aggravation.

My own sense is not that I am particularly offended by the remarks made, but at a deeper level I am disturbed at the idea that there are such ignorant, bigoted, unthinking people out there, sharing my world. If I could tell that the remarks were being made by teenagers I would be less concerned because it is a phase they will - hopefully - grow out of. But on the internet you can't always tell, and so all you see is that there are people out there with disturbingly immature outlooks.

So, does Boards introduce another forum called 'behind the bicycle sheds' or 'in the park with a can' where people can entertain themselves being humourously sexist, racist, whatever they fancy, where no-one is allowed to crib about it (just as you cannot comment on posters' spelling and grammar) and only the most outrageous stuff gets cut. The fact that most of these posters describe these contributions as jokes just proves they really do not 'get it', and are not likely to. And it takes all sorts.

AH could then continue being used for light-hearted discussion that stays within generally acceptable bounds, and is moderated to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Those and the "some women"/"some Irish women" ones (cos they've gotten too smart to make it sound like they're referring to all) are the infuriating ones.

In fairness, they don't come across as smart there, the bitterness still tends to seep through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Millicent, you can't police this stuff. There will always be people like that because... there always will. Seems like an obvious thing to say, I know, but it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

looksee wrote: »
    In the olden days (like 20 years ago :D) young fellas would gather behind the bicycle sheds to smoke and tell dirty jokes and generally show off and try and make sense of their sexuality. Everyone knew it happened, many most men (and a lot of women) had engaged in it and grown out of it, but it didn't affect anyone other than the young fellas because they were the only ones hearing it.

It still happens - young fellas drinking cans in the park - but in addition these same people share their jokes and opinions on the internet, where everyone gets to see it. Sometimes this is in the comment sections of You Tube or sites where anything goes, sometimes it is on Boards and creates aggravation.

My own sense is not that I am particularly offended by the remarks made, but at a deeper level I am disturbed at the idea that there are such ignorant, bigoted, unthinking people out there, sharing my world. If I could tell that the remarks were being made by teenagers I would be less concerned because it is a phase they will - hopefully - grow out of. But on the internet you can't always tell, and so all you see is that there are people out there with disturbingly immature outlooks.

So, does Boards introduce another forum called 'behind the bicycle sheds' or 'in the park with a can' where people can entertain themselves being humourously sexist, racist, whatever they fancy, where no-one is allowed to crib about it (just as you cannot comment on posters' spelling and grammar) and only the most outrageous stuff gets cut. The fact that most of these posters describe these contributions as jokes just proves they really do not 'get it', and are not likely to. And it takes all sorts.

AH could then continue being used for light-hearted discussion that stays within generally acceptable bounds, and is moderated to that effect.

There's already a private forum for that.
    Sea Filly wrote: »
    Millicent, you can't police this stuff. There will always be people like that because... there always will. Seems like an obvious thing to say, I know, but it's true.

That doesn't mean they have to be tolerated here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement