Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Allegedly Raped in Belfast

Options
  • 11-07-2012 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

Jesus I feel bad for the guy, maybe this will bring to light that male to male rape actually happens.
    Police are investigating the alleged rape of a 23-year-old man in Belfast city centre early this morning.

The incident happened in the Donegall Street/York Street area, close to the Belfast campus of the University of Ulster, just before 2am.

The attacker is described as 5ft 9in, with black hair. He was wearing a blue jumper and blue jeans and was carrying a navy shoulder bag.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-raped-in-belfast-street-558683.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Clenches butt-cheeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Squeal like a pig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I've never seen them put the word raped in apostrophies in a headline before. Dosnt seem appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I had a male friend who was raped at a large station in London.

It happens. It's a shame it isn't highlighted more

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

Not sure I see any humour in the subject seeing as the poor sod is probably lying in a hospital bed right now in great distress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Poor guy hope he will be ok, can't imagine how terrible this must be Rape is probably the worst thing that can happen to male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Squeal like a pig!

That's not funny.
    It's attitudes like yours that have the incidences of reporting male rape as low as they are.
    Would you make the same type of joke if it had been a girl that was raped?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why the hell is the word rape in commas?

breakingnews.ie a fan of making light of rape? Or just guilty of the casual misandry that's become all too common these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Maybe it was a chick with a really really really really big clit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Clenches butt-cheeks.
    Jester252 wrote: »
    bites the pillow
    Squeal like a pig!

Children, children, children.... Stop for a moment and think, do you really think those comments are funny or make you seem like the brightest to people around here?.

Show some respect, if not for yourselfs then at least for the victims of sexual assault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Wow AH... shall I make a separate topic about the rape of a woman so some of you guys can get your jollies there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Sauve wrote: »
    That's not funny.
    It's attitudes like yours that have the incidences of reporting male rape as low as they are.

You posted in After Hours, what were you expecting? Tea and sympathy? Some cream for that sand in your vagina?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

That's not funny.

Agreed. It happens more than people think and these attitudes are why people keep quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

That's not funny.

Ah it's an iconic line from a hillbilly film where man rape happens. So yeah, it is funny.

Rape itself in reality is of course not funny, but the reference to a couple of American hillbillies in the depths of a forest bum raping another guy.....is that shocking, that it makes you giggle.

However, real rape is not funny.....or accusations of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

that is sick,hope they catch whoever did it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

token101 wrote: »
    You posted in After Hours, what were you expecting? Tea and sympathy? Some cream for that sand in your vagina?

If this was a thread about the clearical abuse of children it wouldn't receive, or accept idiocy.. So at what age do we start to run short of sympathy for the victims?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I've never seen them put the word raped in apostrophies in a headline before. Dosnt seem appropriate.
    Sleepy wrote: »

breakingnews.ie a fan of making light of rape? Or just guilty of the casual misandry that's become all too common these days?

Only reason I can think of is that its alleged rape at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sleepy wrote: »

Because it's an allegation, no-one's been found guilty yet

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

If this was a thread about the clearical abuse of children it wouldn't receive, or accept idiocy.. So at what age do we start to run short of sympathy for the victims?.

What has sympathy got to do with it? I feel sorry for all sorts of people. That doesn't mean people don't joke about the situation. Jokes aren't real. If it offends, don't listen/watch or block the person.

There are certain subjects we don't make fun of and rape is top of that list imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

In the sunday world there was a case of an irish man who was convicted for many rapes,let out on bail,only to attempt a rape on a homless male..

hondasam wrote: »
    There are certain subjects we don't make fun of and rape is top of that list imo.

There's the key part.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Some people know where to draw the line in AH, and some don't, it's a learning process.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's neither a legally or grammatically sound case for the use of quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'm well aware of where I posted, and I know that as daft and jokey this place is that the majority of posters know where the line is.

And less of the personal insults please.

There's the key part.

Fair enough but honestly it's not funny, I could never even consider laughing at rape. We are all entitled to our opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

28064212 wrote: »
    Because it's an allegation, no-one's been found guilty yet

As pickarooney pointed out, that's why the word alleged is used, not why the word is surrounded in quotes.

Maybe it's just that breakingnews.ie's reporters have no understanding of English grammar, it'd hardly be surprising given the journalistic standards in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There's the key part.

Mod

Rape jokes are on our list too.

Joking about sexual assault isn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i thought it was only alleged rape? i bet there is more to this than meets the eye,lets look at the evidence,walking down the road with a shoulder bag at two in the morning in belfast,just what did he expect...a pat on the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Many comics tell jokes about rape but they're always broad one-liners not related to a specific incident.

When you hear of an actual case of male rape that allegedly only recently occurred, why would your natural instinct be to make fun of the victim? You wouldn't dare if it were a female victim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement