Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender issues in After Hours - Your feedback requested.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'm stil a bit confused on the "rape culture" that's in AH.

I mean... I get if a few posts of "ah shure she was asking for it" when there's an article about rape.

But the closest I've ever seen (apart from dicks getting warned/infracted/banned/whatever) would be people questioning the victim's story.
    Which... is okay. It's not like there's any kind of law in Ireland or ruling on Boards that prevents you from questioning someone's story.

As for the only points of a rape culture I can see would be: men being men.
    Just like women were being women in a few threads.
    You objectify men, you objectiy women.

So if women can oggle at men and men can oggle at women... how in the name of some diety can you actually say that's promoting a rape culture in AH if we did the same in AH?

I get what a rape culture is, completely. I disagree with a lot of its points but I understand them fully.
    But I honestly have never seen a "culture" as in "rape culture" in AH or in any board on Boards, ever. Now granted, I've been here lurking about three years maybe at most in AH but I don't get it, at all.
    Lawliet wrote: »
    Post 29, three thanks and the discussion that followed would not be my definition of getting chewed out.

I also saw another thread where one poster doubted how severe the multiple sexual assaults of a teenage girl were in regards to the prison sentence. Then there was that thread about a man being raped that had several jokes, emasculation, and some victim blaming- that one did get locked and people warned, but the attitude of some posters was 'It's after hours, what do you expect?'

Now you might think these examples aren't extreme enough, but these are all from the past few weeks, if I had time I could dig out some worse example I've come across. Now I know I don't post very often, but I lurk on AH quite a bit and I've seen this kind of thing a lot, admittedly it could be select bias and the threads I read just attract more of this. Still I think it's very naive of people to claim AH is free from sexism and rape culture, this thread wouldn't exist if it was.

Okay firstly, I pretty much argued with that poster all thread about the issue and it turned out they didn't read the entire thing. So given how that poster thought, I'd say they were foolish for not reading the article but not really condoning rape. Their point was basically if the girl didn't get drunk enough to pass out, the assult more than likely would not have happened... which is true. When you pass out drunk, stupid things happen

That man getting raped thing was locked over the jokes.

AH is not free from sexism.
    AH also does not contain any sort of rape culture, at all.
    Stop trying to turn this from "we don't want sexist comments at all" into "it's all about how the women, we need to protect them".
    Men can be victims of sexism too. The rape thread showed that. The long hair on men thread shows this too.
    Rape culture existing or not existing in society doesn't have a place here. At least not how you're using it.
    Please stop using one very, very extreme argument to get everyone on your side.
    It's about sexism as a whole, not protecting one gender first and then if we're lucky, the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't think anybody claimed AH is free from sexism but rape culture? That's a serious claim to make and it should be backed up. There maybe a few examples of victim blaming but I suspect, some are getting the opinions of a few posters mixed up with a culture of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Using terms like "rape culture" and "feminazism" and all the other terms are counter productive in my opinion. It only serves for trenches to be be dug deeper, it creates a divide between posters.

It would be brilliant if we could discuss the topic without the sensational sound bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Stop trying to turn this from "we don't want sexist comments at all" into "it's all about how the women, we need to protect them".

No one here is trying to do that, stop implying that we are.
    Men can be victims of sexism too. The rape thread showed that.

No one has denied that.

and when there have been sexist comments about men in AH they get dealt with they are reported, posters are called out on it and far quicker as the majority of posters in AH are men and will stick up for their gender.

But those numbers get used the other way as well when they don't see something as being sexist towards women and majority of posters don't call it out and they start explaining how it's not really sexism it just men being men which is such BS.

Yes it is practically impossible to adjust the attitude of all the posters in a forum as large and unweildly as AH. But the AH Mods have managed to stamp out several memes and types of replies to make them unacceptable in the past.

All that is being asked is that they use their LARTs to tackle the 'witty' comments about about women and to close knuckle dragging threads.

Sharrow wrote: »
    No one here is trying to do that, stop implying that we are.

No one has denied that.

and when there have been sexist comments about men in AH they get dealt with they are reported, posters are called out on it and far quicker as the majority of posters in AH are men and will stick up for their gender.

But those numbers get used the other way as well when they don't see something as being sexist towards women and majority of posters don't call it out and they start explaining how it's not really sexism it just men being men which is such BS.

Yes it is practically impossible to adjust the attitude of all the posters in a forum as large and unweildly as AH. But the AH Mods have managed to stamp out several memes and types of replies to make them unacceptable in the past.

All that is being asked is that they use their LARTs to tackle the 'witty' comments about about women and to close knuckle dragging threads.

Actually that is what rape culture really is, protecting the women. Sure this thread defined it so. So as Micky said, it's really getting out of hand.
    So let's all just drop the rape culture rubbish (which it really is for this feedback. Nobody in AH is going to condone rape), it's not going to get anyone anywhere, at all.

Not every poster needs to post. I've been fairly vocal, a few others have.
    It got people this far.
    If you really expect everyone to post "hey, that's mean and sexist, stop" then you need to learn more about forums and not just how AH functions. I don't mean that in a condscending way or anything but a forum is a lot different from an in person convo. On a forum you can easily say "oh to Hell with this" and ignore the topic.
    Just because many, many users don't scream "sexist" at the top of their lungs, doesn't mean they think it's okay to be sexist.

And it is not almost impossible. We got some memes stamped out. It's easy to do.
    All we're doing here is trying to find the line.

And there you go, with the "knuckle-dragging" talk. That's 99% of the time, applied to men.

Surely you want that kind of talk stamped right out, yes?

• Advertisement

If you really expect everyone to post "hey, that's mean and sexist, stop" then you need to learn more about forums and not just how AH functions. I don't mean that in a condscending way or anything but a forum is a lot different from an in person convo. On a forum you can easily say "oh to Hell with this" and ignore the topic.
    Just because many, many users don't scream "sexist" at the top of their lungs, doesn't mean they think it's okay to be sexist.

And you think you've a better grasp then I do?
    In the two months you've been posting?
    I've only had 3 years of posting sure what would I know.

What is being asked is that they report the posts rather then thinking there's no point in doing so, the best thing about these sort of thread is the AH mods acknowledging there is room for improvement and reaching out to people to report posts.

And there you go, with the "knuckle-dragging" talk. That's 99% of the time, applied to men.

Some men not all, oh and you can blame wibbs for that, it's one of his terms of endearment for 'some' men. :p

And you think you've a better grasp then I do?
    In the two months you've been posting?
    I've only had 3 years of posting sure what would I know.

What is being asked is that they report the posts rather then thinking there's no point in doing so, the best thing about these sort of thread is the AH mods acknowledging there is room for improvement and reaching out to people to report posts.

Some men not all, oh and you can blame wibbs for that, it's one of his terms of endearment for 'some' men. :p

I've been here a long time too, lurking. I've been a mod on other sites so yes, I do think I have a good grasp of how things are on a forum.
    But here's the thing, report all you like. Moan all you like. Joke all you like.
    But we need a line. That's what we need.
    Now honestly, bringing a rape culture into this isn't doing anything, at all. If for example, everyone said "no, there's no sexism towards women", then mentioning what rape culture is and how it works would be fine.

But as it stands, we know there are problems and that's what we're trying to fix. Luckily, we're not that ignorant that we're denying sexisim... yet ;)

On a brighter note, I'm requesting Wibbs be banned from AH for offending me and my knuckledragging brethen :pac:
    So apologies for that remark, Sharrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Men can be victims of sexism too. The rape thread showed that. The long hair on men thread shows this too.
    Rape culture existing or not existing in society doesn't have a place here. At least not how you're using it.
    Please stop using one very, very extreme argument to get everyone on your side.
    It's about sexism as a whole, not protecting one gender first and then if we're lucky, the other one.
    You keep mentioning this protection thing even though I don't think I've implied anything like that and if I did it was never my intention. I did say before that I'm not for banning comments on touchy subjects. The only thing I've wanted out of this discussion is for people to acknowledged that there is a problem. Not censorship but accountability.
    Rape culture sounds dramatic, but it's really just culture and how women, and sexual crimes against men and women, are treated. There really is no point in denying that it's in AH, because it's everywhere.
    And if I was trying to get people on my side, I wouldn't be using such a polarizing argument.

You keep mentioning this protection thing even though I don't think I've implied anything like that and if I did it was never my intention. I did say before that I'm not for banning comments on touchy subjects. The only thing I've wanted out of this discussion is for people to acknowledged that there is a problem. Not censorship but accountability.
    Rape culture sounds dramatic, but it's really just culture and how women, and sexual crimes against men and women, are treated. There really is no point in denying that it's in AH, because it's everywhere.
    And if I was trying to get people on my side, I wouldn't be using such a polarizing argument.

Sharrow's definition of rape culture is all about protecting women first.
    And there is indeed a problem. But it's not about any sort of rape culture.
    At least not the over dramatized version that was posted.

You posted about that guy questioning the would be victim's story.
    He later went on to explain what he meant and I agreed with him. Had she not of passed out from drinking os much, she would have more than likely not been assaulted. That's not saying "it's okay" or "she deserved it". It's saying "don't be stupid". And that applies both to men and women.

Now granted, if you want to say "nice tits" = advocating rape towards women by men, then I'm saying "I love stubble" = advocating rape towards men by women.
    You cannot use the rape culture argument because it's sexist. At least for this issue.

And we all know this a problem... hence this discussion and a bunch of us arguing in favour of enforcing the rules. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Or maybe it actually isn't sexism. Just because a few people object to something does not render it into whatever they deem it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You posted about that guy questioning the would be victim's story.
    He later went on to explain what he meant and I agreed with him. Had she not of passed out from drinking os much, she would have more than likely not been assaulted. That's not saying "it's okay" or "she deserved it". It's saying "don't be stupid". And that applies both to men and women.
    True he did eventually say that after several posters called him out. His posts about the responsibility of the victim were still problematic, even if it is poor phrasing.
    Now granted, if you want to say "nice tits" = advocating rape towards women by men, then I'm saying "I love stubble" = advocating rape towards men by women.
    You cannot use the rape culture argument because it's sexist. At least for this issue.
    I only mentioned rape culture as an example of how objectifying women is different to objectifying men; the consequences are different. Not that men can't be victims or hurt by this culture too, just that the consequences aren't equal.
    But since it's been requested we drop the term, so I will.

True he did eventually say that after several posters called him out. His posts about the responsibility of the victim were still problematic, even if it is poor phrasing.

I only mentioned rape culture as an example of how objectifying women is different to objectifying men; the consequences are different. Not that men can't be victims or hurt by this culture too, just that the consequences aren't equal.
    But since it's been requested we drop the term, so I will.

I agree, that's why I kept at it with him. I think he was trying to be a bit of dick but I accept he could have worded it wrongly.

Right, okay. Consquences can be different. Very true. But while the rape culture really does only apply to women... we're trying to get the sexism stammped out as a whole past a certain line.
    That was why I disliked the usage of the term.
    Do you get where I'm coming from?
    Again, don't get me wrong, I know women are at more risk at being raped generally speaking and obviously, if we did, for example roll with the whole "rape culture exists in AH, etc etc", it'll have a stronger meaning.

But luckily we know the sexism exists, we're just trying to find a line not to cross, that can apply to both genders equally :)

okay I hear you, you are saying there is sexism but you just want the quashing of it to be 'fair' and not give women special treatment.

okay I hear you, you are saying there is sexism but you just want the quashing of it to be 'fair' and not give women special treatment.

I think that's what most of us want, actually :)
    But you should have hung around for the threads in AH where we pretty much argued for it :D

The thing is who decides what is fair?
    If there is more sexism in AH aimed at women then men and due to the fact that a lot of sexism is to do with double standards, if most of the actionable sexism is aimed at women and so most of the warnings, edits, infractions and bans are related back to sexism aimed at women rather then men, will that still be considered 'fair'?

The thing is who decides what is fair?
    If there is more sexism in AH aimed at women then men and due to the fact that a lot of sexism is to do with double standards, if most of the actionable sexism is aimed at women and so most of the warnings, edits, infractions and bans are related back to sexism aimed at women rather then men, will that still be considered 'fair'?

This thread, complaints and the mods.

Look it's not about being "fair". It;s about being fair overall.
    If more people are being sexist against women... so be it. They get punished more.

Granted, I've seen some offensive things towards men but I don't care. It's ideally going to be a simple "don't do these things". So far, we have generalizations, like "Irish women are bad". They're banned already.

I get where you're coming from but you're coming from the wrong place.
    It's what "sexist" that should be banned. Sexisim won't be happening if all the banned users are male that slander females. In that case they'll be dicks getting banned :P

I was just trying to tease out your position.
    Thanks for the reply.

I was just trying to tease out your position.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have aboslutely no idea what you mean :o
    But basically: if women are being victims of sexisim even with the new rules and only men are getting banned for being dicks, who cares? It's accomplished what we wanted in the end :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056709210&page=2

Post 29, three thanks and the discussion that followed would not be my definition of getting chewed out. It wasn't until the poster made more explicit victim blaming comments that anyone called them out for it.
    That's your example of this culture in AH? Plus this is how such debate goes. Opposing view asking a question, if said opposing view goes OTT then people chime in. No mind readers about. Plus you do know that poster is a woman? Does that make a diff?
    The thread then turned into a discussion on whether or not drunk victims are responsible for their rape. Then a nice bit about false rape accusations after this gem
    You might not like it, may not agree with it(I don't), however that is a valid opposing view, IE can people/women take better steps to protect themselves. I also don't see what's particularly wrong with your "gem" either. Individuals have been turned into pariahs because of false accusations. Happens in many crimes, not just rape. Its another part of the debate.

I also saw another thread where one poster doubted how severe the multiple sexual assaults of a teenage girl were in regards to the prison sentence.
    Again though you/I may not agree it is a valid opinion/question to pose.
    Then there was that thread about a man being raped that had several jokes, emasculation, and some victim blaming- that one did get locked and people warned, but the attitude of some posters was 'It's after hours, what do you expect?'
    Locked and warnings fired out. The system worked. Again.
    Now you might think these examples aren't extreme enough, but these are all from the past few weeks, if I had time I could dig out some worse example I've come across. Now I know I don't post very often, but I lurk on AH quite a bit and I've seen this kind of thing a lot, admittedly it could be select bias and the threads I read just attract more of this. Still I think it's very naive of people to claim AH is free from sexism and rape culture, this thread wouldn't exist if it was.
    Whatever about mouthbreathers and "get back in the kitchen/jaysus look at the tits on yer wan" type sexism which does bear scrutiny, this latter rape culture stuff is escalating it too far.

So in those examples above, what would you like to see? No discussion on such subjects unless they all chime in behind what you believe, or what you believe is acceptable? IMHO that's a very dodgy road to drive down. Why?

Enshrining this ins AH "law" misses a couple of things vital to any debate, not just this one.

a) they might be right and we end up suppressing something valid
    b)They're likely completely wrong, but in the too and fro of debate we expand for the users and lurkers precisely why they're wrong.
    c) Tolerance of an opposing opinion(so long as it's polite discourse) even if you feel it to be beyond the pale, means that overall tolerance goes up.
    d) There's no such thing as 100% correct or incorrect. There is always a grey area, usually many of them and when you strip away the emotive guff we all stand a better chance of seeing those shades of grey.
    The AH mods have already stated they do delete/edit posts when they cross a line and as I can't see those posts as I am not a mod of the forum so I can't link to them.
    OK but that's basically saying the system for the majority of cases works. Well it must do if we're not seeing these posts.
    I never stated at all of the points which made up rape culture are present in AH, I used that link and statement to explain what is meant by the term as some people seem to get hung up on the term and have a knee jerk reaction and don't see how the repeated the mysoginistic crap plays a part in it.
    The reason people are hung up on terms like that is as MD says they start trench digging. Plus no one has so far thrown the feminazi defence around, so it's only one trench been dug on that score.
    Does that really make a difference?

If AH is only for those who post regularly in it then we would not need to take down posts which are defaming people, and the whole forum could be restricted access.
    IMHO it does make some difference. IT's not far off someone coming into a sports club on their first night and suggesting there's rot in the management of said club.

Using terms like "rape culture" and "feminazism" and all the other terms are counter productive in my opinion. It only serves for trenches to be be dug deeper, it creates a divide between posters.

It would be brilliant if we could discuss the topic without the sensational sound bites.
    +1000

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hello.

Just to clarify.

The reason why we started this thread is because right now in AH there is a problem regardless of whether you see it or not.

We're not saying "Is there a problem?" because tbh I've been doing that for years and it hasn't gotten us anywhere.

I don't accept that the largely male audience in AH gets a hard time with sexism either.

If we're losing then who's winning?

So take from that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Well, of course they were more respectful in real life.

This is part of the problem, some are attempting to hold AH up to a standard that it was never supposed to meet. Read tGC if you want to see men posting in roughly the same way (more balanced sense of humour, maturity and seriousness) as they would in real life but don't look for that in After Hours for heaven sake.

I don't accept that. These were talking into the wee hours, getting pissed together, sleep over at my house cos it's late type of male friends. None of them particularly new-agey or anything but they had inherent respect for women. Just because someone is on the internet does not give them carte blanche to forget their social manners.

I have seen many users get called out on threads for what they have said, especially if it has been the last straw and also many 'Mod Notes' saying 'User Banned' for this post etc. Not sure what else they could do in the way of visible moderation tbh.

Yes that would be the point. When it's a clearly obnoxious, over the line post, a mod will add a note to say that. However, when it's a "straw that broke the camel's back" type of post, there doesn't seem to be that message. I think there should be to make it clear that such behaviour is unacceptable.

Well, don't concern yourself with those people as they are clearly idiots, as how could a mod be "complicit" with something which they are acting upon, even if it is "behind closed doors" (which there is no such thing for bog standard mods by the way, as they generally have to discuss the bans they issue with their fellow mods and the reasons for them).

The only users on Boards that can do anything "behind closed doors" are Admin but even then, that would be the other end of the scale and they could only really get away with treating someone too harshly or unjustly. Would be almost impossible for either Mods or Admin to be complicit in letting users run amok. They be called out for it in a heart beat.

Why would I not concern myself with people who are lessening my enjoyment of a forum I do my utmost to interact positively with? Why should I turn a blind eye to their bad behaviour when I regulate my own?

I'm not sure what your second paragraph refers to here. I am going on info given to me by an AH mod that this is how certain troublesome posters are dealt with.

Additionally, the mods don't need to be complicit. They just need to be *seen* as complicit. The silence around those bannings serves to, IMO, create a perception of complicity, even though it is not the case.

Great, well I hope you set them straight so :)

You hope I set them straight on how the mods feel?

Dr. Bollocko, I just want to reiterate my appreciation of you and the other AH mods. It does mean a lot that you are listening and searching for solutions.

My answer to this would be a rewording of the charter. The rule "no blatant sexism" should be revised to "no sexism". That's it. That would do all the work that needs to be done and would stop this being an issue. Why are women fair game for it in a subtle way but other races are not? Why the distinction? I'm not saying call a halt to the jokes but there are some things that are funny and some things that are not. I like risque and off-colour humour but what I see again and again is not humour and it's not funny -- it's weak, bullying, schoolyard name-calling of the opposite sex. It's not acceptable from either gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I just think the word "sexism" is perhaps too strong tbh, and I think by treating it as explicitly gendered is just furthering the divide. It's just dickish behaviour IMO. It's not advocating discrimination against women. Attacks on Irish women isn't sexism because it's not all women in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't accept that the largely male audience in AH gets a hard time with sexism either.

Speaking bluntly my good man, I think AH is dominated by the same cliches and generalisations regardless of gender. It goes back to what Mickey already said earlier in this thread about feedback being damaged by people being oh too eager to buy into sensationalist accusations.

I can't stand reading AH anymore, not because I feel the forum lacks intelligent members. In fact, I think it's home to perhaps the most intelligent members on boards. But too many times I see a thread title and know before I even click on it how it's gonna go down.

Gender issues isn't the problem in AH, it's exactly how Mickey suggested: every thread is dominated by dumb ass cliches and generalisations by the select (but god knows how) influential few, the gender issue is just an extension of that...and TBH, AH isn't the only forum that suffers from this problem.

PS Apologies if I hijacked your view Mickey and got you wrong. ;)

Onixx wrote: »
    I just think the word "sexism" is perhaps too strong tbh, and I think by treating it as explicitly gendered is just furthering the divide. It's just dickish behaviour IMO. It's not advocating discrimination against women. Attacks on Irish women isn't sexism because it's not all women in general.

Dickish behaviour or no, some of it is sexist. And attacking Irish women is a specific sexism, a xenophobic one, but a sexism all the same. If we were on Boards.co.uk, there'd be posters moaning about British girls; on Boards.fr, it would be about French girls.

Just because it's specified to Irish girls does not make it any less sexist or offensive.

Speaking bluntly my good man, I think AH is dominated by the same cliches and generalisations regardless of gender. It goes back to what Mickey already said earlier in this thread about feedback being damaged by people being oh too eager to buy into sensationalist accusations.

I can't stand reading AH anymore, not because I feel the forum lacks intelligent members. In fact, I think it's home to perhaps the most intelligent members on boards. But too many times I see a thread title and know before I even click on it how it's gonna go down.

Gender issues isn't the problem in AH, it's exactly how Mickey suggested: every thread is dominated by dumb ass cliches and generalisations by the select (but god knows how) influential few, the gender issue is just an extension of that...and TBH, AH isn't the only forum that suffers from this problem.

PS Apologies if I hijacked your view Mickey and got you wrong. ;)

I disagree in that I see a specific problem. The more general one can be taken care of in its own way. I believe the culture of the forum needs to be nurtured away from measuring the merits of a female public figure by whether or not they're "do-able".

I disagree in that I see a specific problem. The more general one can be taken care of in its own way. I believe the culture of the forum needs to be nurtured away from measuring the merits of a female public figure by whether or not they're "do-able".

I wouldn't really be concerned about that, there's a lot more mean spirited stuff in regards to women and in general when it comes to AH that I'd be more worried about.

That do-able **** quickly wears out after the first page or so once people fill their desire for thanks whoring, the Michelle De Bruin thread being the most recent example.

I wouldn't really be concerned about that, there's a lot more mean spirited stuff in regards to women and in general when it comes to AH that I'd be more worried about.

That do-able **** quickly wears out after the first page or so once people fill their desire for thanks whoring, the Michelle De Bruin thread being the most recent example.

I'm not really going to be dismissing anything as posters "filling their desire for thanks whoring" at this point tbh.

That I would wholeheartedly agree with. I'm always getting asked for examples on stuff like this so I have been keeping a mental itinerary.

This thread has a lot of what I think is wrong and horrible with AH sometimes.

A question about maternity leave and jobs has these answers:

Tigger wrote: »
    so she's defo riding then

good to know
    davet82 wrote: »
    thats what you get for breeding...
    Boombastic wrote: »
    Is her boss the father of the child?

Another one on "Should school uniforms be abolished" had a poster saying he didn't think women in their 40s should wear short skirts. That was, IIRC, in the fecking OP!

Another post, on the same page, from another poster, a post that all women in their 20s should spread their legs.

Posts here:
    Leftist wrote: »
    Oh hi. I was just listening to newstalk there so I was and they were talking about the expenses related to children's school uniforms.

The presenter remarked that his children's school allow them to wear a school tracksuit uniform. Fair enough a lot of schools have been doing that since the 90s.

Boom: in come the calls and texts - No tracksuits for kids, keep the ties and shirts. Concerned mammy's vs ''hoodies''

These people responsible for raising childers really think that clothes will turn their kids into scobers/skangers?

Absolutely sickening imo.

I once worked in an office of a big company, they opened a committee to discuss liberating the dress code.

Numerous women signed up to the committee and blocked a move to make ties non-compulsory.

Why? It's absolute madness.

If I had my way any woman over 40 wouldn't bare their legs, do I have the right to make that decision? No. Nor should I tbf.

Shaking with the rage here so I am.
    We should make girls in their twenties spread their legs.

Fanny in the workplace is the way of the future

Posts like these create a hostile environment for female posters. They are unnecessary, classless and are not funny. In the slightest.

FWIW, I reported most of these posts. I thought the worst had been erased -- turns out it had just been merged into a new thread.

• Advertisement

I'm not really going to be dismissing anything as posters "filling their desire for thanks whoring" at this point tbh.

What I'm saying is that there's much more inherent examples of gender issues in AH than do-able comments. You should be looking more at threads about overweight people, inequality in the workplace, rape (mentioning that is a cliche in itself at this stage), and relationship/platonic friendships related threads. These would be the biggest examples of where I'd see a gender divide in AH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement