Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The music they play in Easons, Argos, Clerys, Tesco, Dunnes stores and probably more?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I worked in a shop for 7 years. I worked the same shifts for the entire time I was there. One of my shifts was Sunday Morning at 7am. 2FM was left on, so I'd get to the place around 06:50am, tired and pissed off usually with some drunk a-holes wanting to get in for ciggarettes or to try and buy more booze. For what seemed like months at a time the same song would be playing every awful Sunday..Sophie Ellis Bextor Murder on the Dance Floor still depresses me to this day.

The place turned into a Centra for my last 2 years and like someone else said. The playlist never changed. Retail is truly the worst job in Ireland...f'kin sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Brokentime wrote: »
    Used to work in Roches Stores back in the day; 12 tracks looped over again and again. If I ever hear the Sugababes 'Freak like me' again, I'll keel over

"but you know that a man's gotta deal with it!"
    (hope you are a man) - just to annoy you...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Where To wrote: »
    So many people complaining about listening to music. . . and getting paid for it!

In my first job we had to whistle our own tunes.

not listening to music, being forced to listen to music. Work is sh!t enough without having to listen to Sophie Ellis Bextor, S Club 7 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

I worked in Brown Thomas over Christmas and the worst of it is the MAC counter, it clashes with all the other music in the store and is played SO LOUD. They just have five chart hits played over and over; to this day that Earthquake song by Tinie Tempah reminds me of standing around pointlessly dusting shelves and praying a customer would stop by and relieve me of my boredom...

BTs were also fond of this string-y piece of music that sounded so familiar and I couldn't figure out where from. Watching TV one night and I saw it- it's off the Finish dishwasher tablets ad!! :confused:

Other than that their music wasn't so bad, as well as the usual Christmas cheese there was a lot of Bing and Dean Martin and Elvis which I didn't mind at all!

My local Supervalu isn't that bad, they have been playing a lot of 80s lately!

Dunnes tho... The music is so so so depressing whenever I go in there. I don't understand how they think it's good music to play in store, it's so lethargic and dull it just makes customers want to leave and not spend their money!

IMRO are lovely people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Can never enjoy a bit of Elton John again after working in Centra :( Also that really annoying song Loving You (la la la la la, la la la la la, la la la la la la la la laa la. Doo do do do de dooo, aaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a a aaaa. you know it.) yeah, I'l be met by that one in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I've worked in two centras a spar three burger kings and gala so the pain has been burnted into my mind over the years haha.

One Christmas working in one the centras years ago they had whole load of awful cover songs on loop including the Muppets singing Christmas songs...... No wonder the store manager was a junkie!!

Burger king used to have a system that had different channels different genres of music that was updated threw the internet but you where never aloud change the pop channel!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I used to work in a small music shop and we got to play whatever we wanted. Was a class job :D

Worked in a londis for a year and a half and, i'm not joking, they had the same 15 track CD playing for a whole year of that.

If a small shop can pipe whatever music they want, it just shows how stingy these franchises are

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I hate Wilson Phillips with a passion!!!

worked as a barman in a hotel and reception used to control the cd and they wouldn't change it as they couldn't hear the music, bitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

do all shops play music??? i honestly have never noticed any... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I frickin love Gemini Yo-Yo. It gets me going every day at work. When I'm at home I can't help but listen to the snippet that's available on amazon. Love it. /sarcasm

No, really though, it is on amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

I frickin love Gemini Yo-Yo. It gets me going every day at work. When I'm at home I can't help but listen to the snippet that's available on amazon. Love it. /sarcasm

Hahaha that's definitely one of the most annoying ones. So happy I can hear this lovely snippet

Jammyc wrote: »
    I used to work in Dunnes. This 'music' was the worst part of it. Especially when you had a day off and found yourself humming a tune thinking "What song is this song and how do - FFFFUUUUUUUUU"

Some of my 'favourites' have been (In no particular order):

A million miles
    Goodbye my Friend
    She's everybody's girl
    Gemini Yo-yo
    You move me
    The one that begins "She's a sunflower girl.."
    Passion for Fashion
    I still believe in you.

Hopefully these ring some bells.

I've been searching and searching to try and find that sunflower girl one but I can't find it anywhere. I even started jotting down the lyrics one day in work and googled them but it doesn't seem to be online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ugh! They didn't even play the amazing chorus. That lyric 'One of you is like your dad, one of you is like your mother' always pissed me off for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

This was burned into my subconscious during my Christmas job and is still popping into my head in July...it's the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

While there's a lot of shops that play terrible music, the only shop I can think of that plays good music is Marks and Spencer in Liffey Valley. I've heard some Simply Red, some Hall & Oates and some Earth, Wind & Fire in there before. No idea how big the playlist is though.

I was in M&S in Dundrum the other day and they were playing Laura Marling, I was genuinely shocked and impressed.

The worst are the relentless Christmas jingles played over and over and over. The fact that they have no words (at least not the ones I had to listen to) made them more unbearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

I still have nightmares about "I'm blue daba dee dabu die". 13 Years on. There is only so much shyte music a man can take. It's like Chinese torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Goro wrote: »
    I still have nightmares about "I'm blue daba dee dabu die". 13 Years on. There is only so much shyte music a man can take. It's like Chinese torture.

That's been stuck in my head for 20 mins now thanks to you. Hope your willy rots and falls off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ambp

Roisy7 wrote: »
    BTs were also fond of this string-y piece of music that sounded so familiar and I couldn't figure out where from. Watching TV one night and I saw it- it's off the Finish dishwasher tablets ad!! :confused:

Oh god, does my head in - it's always being played in shops and restaurants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I used to work part time for the company that provided the background Muzak to dunnes, supervalu, petites, centra, banks and other places.:o
    I used to go around installing the speakers. amps and playback equipment and the crappy tannoys used to garbled announcements.:o:o
    Don't hate me....:pac:
    Big business, especially the larger retail units due to the floor area as mentioned already.
    To be fair most of the people were fed up of the rubbish as well but head office often called the shots.
    There was even a bit of retail science behind it, certain beat patterns, easy listening crap and a lot of dodgy instrumentals, themed selections for summer and the obvious rotation of Christmas tat later in the year.
    The standard set-up was a 4 deck auto reversing tape deck which would remain on an endless loop, say 4 x c90 cassettes would give 6hrs continuous playback.
    I also used to go around an do service calls for breakdowns etc.
    I was called one day to the AIB in Blackrock Co. Dublin, around the middle of the year, June or July maybe.
    I was shown into a back room / office and set about repairng the decks. I had a few spare units with me so just bumped them in to get the piped crap working again. I picked up one of the tapes that was lying around and stuck it on play.
    A few minutes later one of the staff came in laughing telling me to change the tape, I didn't know what was up so we both went out and saw everyone queuing in the bank smiling and humming along to christmas songs, I think it might have been little drummer boy, complete with choirboys humming and parup-a-pum-pum-ing.:D:D
    Cheered everyone up.
    I also put a carl cox mix tape on repeat late one evening in Dunnes in the Blanchardstown center before it opened (1996) only workers there were shop fitters etc, went down well until someone from Dunnes head office came on to do a site inspection.
    Jesus, thats nearly 20 years ago, I'm feicin old and the standard of crappy muzak still hasn't improved.

I know it's going to seem like I'm obsessed with Gemini Yo Yo now but I looked it up on myspace... and it looks like that guy does the awful When I Was A Man song too. I wonder does he do any of the others. If he does he didn't put them on the myspace page http://www.myspace.com/ericbazilian/music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 TinyButDeadly

I felt I needed to sign up because me and some colleagues are literally on a search and destroy for these lovely Mood Media artists

"Voice of Love"
    http://www.broadjam.com/player/player.php?play_file=18528_467392

"Good for You"
    http://www.broadjam.com/player/player.php?play_file=8212_43670

"Declaration"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af3Pe-Nway4

"Thought You Might Wanna Know"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFZKwlGIbrY

"I'll Make You Mine"
    http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/music/download-songs/18855

"Angel in my Pocket"
    http://www.broadjam.com/player/player.php?play_file=39848_289603

Theres tonnes more out there as well that we're trying to find but thats just a few we got hold of in one hour of Googling lyrics during lunch break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

I've heard a lot more of songs being replaced with cover versions.

I finally found the one they play with the creepiest opening lyrics ever

http://www.broadjam.com/player/player.php?play_file=4139_15397

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

The Square (shopping centre in Tallaght, D.24) seem to only have one album - one of the really old Westlife ones. Every time I'm there (which isn't very often these days), the same twelve Westlife songs are on repeat. And I'm always ashamed and horrified at how many of the lyrics I know!

Been a while since I've heard it but "working for the man" was the worst song they ever played in dunnes. Utterly soul crushing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

My sympathies to anyone who has to listen to this crap in work. :(

It starts off like a broken ice-cream van.

My sympathies to anyone who has to listen to this crap in work. :(

It starts off like a broken ice-cream van.

Hahaha I always think it sounds like a monophonic ringtone at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Why the hell would you do this!? AAAGGGHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

Does anyone know where I can find out the names of the Supervalu generic soundtrack. I think it's about time I wrote a strongly worded letter......

I can't get "blah blah blah blah blah HEARTBREAKER blah blah blah blah blah.... " out of my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 TinyButDeadly

EUGH i found another one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r3BfRy3FnQ
    "I never dreamed that love would found me... as I've been working on my tan"

cringy

Advertisement