Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The music they play in Easons, Argos, Clerys, Tesco, Dunnes stores and probably more?

Options
  • 24-07-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I work in a clothing retailer and due to budget cutbacks in the last few months they have replaced the music that is normally played in store with a fine selection of some of the worst songs I have ever heard in my entire life. They are all incredibly dull and genuinely slowly starting to destroy my soul after listening to them for hours on end day in day out. I've recently discovered that several other retailers and supermarkets seem to be playing the exact same tracklist in their stores. I even had a discussion about some of the odd song choices with a guy working in argos (one song starts with these opening lyrics "Father John do you remember when I was on my knee's with my eyes closed tight".
    Does anyone know where the retailers are getting these songs or know a tracklist of them? I need to know who the songwriters that are sucking the life out of me are. I've managed to track down one song. It's called when I was the man...........it's awful http://www.myspace.com/ericbazilian/music/songs/when-i-was-the-man-56517704

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Subliminal messages to entice you into buying their poor quality Chinese shoite

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

More Iron Maiden required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

"morgue music" is all the rage nowadays.

Due to recent cutbacks............many people cant shop in clothing retailers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I worked in a hardware store before and they replaced all the pop music they played with cover versions so that they didn't have to pay any royalties, the originals were bad enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I worked in a hardware store before and they replaced all the pop music they played with cover versions so that they didn't have to pay any royalties, the originals were bad enough

I've noticed that they do that in Tesco too.
    Does my head in because they're all really bad cover versions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

When I worked in Woolworths in London I had to listen to the music that was piped over the store's PA system. It was all the current top 40 hits, the very dregs of popular music. It made me lose all hope for Britain's youth - it was mostly them who were buying into all this trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

I work in a clothing retailer and due to budget cutbacks in the last few months they have replaced the music that is normally played in store with a fine selection of some of the worst songs I have ever heard in my entire life. They are all incredibly dull and genuinely slowly starting to destroy my soul after listening to them for hours on end day in day out. I've recently discovered that several other retailers and supermarkets seem to be playing the exact same tracklist in their stores. I even had a discussion about some of the odd song choices with a guy working in argos (one song starts with these opening lyrics "Father John do you remember when I was on my knee's with my eyes closed tight".
    Does anyone know where the retailers are getting these songs or know a tracklist of them? I need to know who the songwriters that are sucking the life out of me are. I've managed to track down one song. It's called when I was the man...........it's awful http://www.myspace.com/ericbazilian/music/songs/when-i-was-the-man-56517704
    I have to listen to this too for 10hrs a day. Covers of really bad songs.
    If they played some decent music i might feel motivated to work a bit harder. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I worked in Centra in 2006 and I still hear some of the same music in there when I go in these days. It must destroy the staff's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

I wouldn't mind paying a little more to hear system of a down in a spar shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Worked in Dunnes for 5 years and the music to my mind serves no other function than to torture staff. When I read the OP I realised that I am no longer able to remember any of the songs and that made me smile as I was certain they would be burned into my mind until the day I died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I worked in a bar years ago that had the same three cd's by The Corrs on constant rotation. Finally someone went and scrathed all of them, management then in their infinite wisdom failed to get the hint and bought replacements for the three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Why don't they just turn on the radio like most shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

smash wrote: »

IMRO and their fees

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

Do you know 'Angel in my pocket'....used to drive me up the walls

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Used to hate being brought to Dunnes as a kid solely because of the soul-sucking music.

Usually consisted of terrible music you'd find in an elevator or Phil Collins :(

Now, some Raining Blood or Angel Of Death would cheer things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I thought it was just me. Who is that bloody awful band always playing in Super Valu, the one with the Sharon Corr knockoff as lead singer? Like nails down a blackboard. Who is this woman and how can I stop her ruining my day?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Haha LOVE this thread. I worked in Dunnes Stores for a year and a half so know all these songs off by heart :(

That "when I was a man" song is probably the worst of them, he just lists womens names for 4 minutes :mad: Thankfully I don't work there anymore so I can laugh about it now, or rather laugh at the people still stuck working with it.

I remember one glorious day when I went into work and they were inexplicably playing music that I'd actually heard of and actually liked! I spent the day in a great mood, dancing around the store to the likes of Paolo Nutini and Mumford and Sons. Went in the next day and we were back to normal. Heartbraking and evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I happen to know the guy who owns the company that provides the piped music that is played in most of the Irish multiples. Whatever you think about the quality of the music, I think that it was a great business idea - all brought about by the aggressive way that IMRO worked.
    smash wrote: »

Clearly, you haven't had the pleasure of a visit from IMRO. Playing music becomes a significant cost to a business as the royalties are based on the size/capacity of the premises. For large multiples like Dunnes, etc, the cost is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Dean09 wrote: »
    Heard a horrendous version of Coldplay's 'Viva La Vida' in my local Tesco..

.. just when you think Chris Martin's voice couldn't get any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

The worst part about working in retail was the Xmas music! Grand for about a day and then its on for about 2 months :(

I used work in an electrical retailer and used have my own ipod on, happy days! :D (although Slayer wasnt allowed :()

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

All shops should have a resident air guitarist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cover versions of a songs are not excluded from the payment of royalties/duties to IMRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

This was the one true benefit of working in a music store; not having to listen to muzak! Worse though was the cinema - for a full year the same 15 or so songs were played in the corridors/empty screens. All songs from movies and it got to the point where I actually started to hate the movies associated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dannyboymed

While there's a lot of shops that play terrible music, the only shop I can think of that plays good music is Marks and Spencer in Liffey Valley. I've heard some Simply Red, some Hall & Oates and some Earth, Wind & Fire in there before. No idea how big the playlist is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

While there's a lot of shops that play terrible music, the only shop I can think of that plays good music is Marks and Spencer in Liffey Valley. I've heard some Simply Red, some Hall & Oates and some Earth, Wind & Fire in there before. No idea how big the playlist is though.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Where I work, the piped music is rather middle-of-the-road stuff, like Rod Stewart, The Eagles, Paul Simon, that kind of thing. It's all downloaded from CDs onto a database (I did much of it myself). I quite like it, it's pleasant.

Then one evening, I heard this...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Cant stop laughing at this bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Dean09 wrote: »
    I've noticed that they do that in Tesco too.

Ah here - there's nothing better than the sound of someone singing a Keane or Maroon 5 song slightly out of key over a band that sounds like it was put together in a Casio factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I worked in superquinn for a few years in my youth and they had the Lighthouse family cd on repeat 24/7. Would drive us demented especially as nobody could change it..

Advertisement