Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The music they play in Easons, Argos, Clerys, Tesco, Dunnes stores and probably more?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

DM_Punk wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Nooo Noooo Noooo Noooo Noooo
    No No There's No Limiit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The Tesco ones are something else. It's like some sort of Twilight Zone radio station, where somebody you've never heard before is singing songs that are eventually familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DM_Punk

A million miles... Possibly the worst thing I've ever heard in my life...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Seanbirney

A new song in dunnes stores! It goes ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh GOOD LOVE yeah yeah yeah GOOD LOVE mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I worked in loads of retail shops over the years and the music can do your head in. Especially at Christmas (George Michael's last Christmas comes to mind :pac: )

Always assumed it was some sort of royalty or license fee going on to play them. Then later heard about the public performance licence but in reality who is to know? ;) Any shop could play whatever. So it's stupid to play such bland-ass tracks. lol.

• Advertisement

I worked in loads of retail shops over the years and the music can do your head in. Especially at Christmas (George Michael's last Christmas comes to mind :pac: )

Always assumed it was some sort of royalty or license fee going on to play them. Then later heard about the public performance licence but in reality who is to know? ;) Any shop could play whatever. So it's stupid to play such bland-ass tracks. lol.

Christmas songs are always the worst, try working in dunnes during the christmas period!! God, jingles of weird songs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Best one ever was one christmas i was working a 12 hour shift in Dunnes,

so i came in at 10am to see most of my collegues were angrier than usual, asking one of my friends what was up, he grimaced and said "you'll see"...

one hour in after numerous non relevant staff announcements over the intercom system it hit me, the song "i wish it could be christmas everyday" was playing non stop,

turns out the music which came from head office had 'glitched' as they told us(or more likely some evil bastard had hit the repeat 1 button :mad:) and that one song was played for 8 hours straight that day,

it ruined christmas and we all still hate it to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I wonder is now a good time to ask the shops to go easy on certain over-played songs this Christmas.

The ones by Slade and John Lennon have turned putrid with over-playing and the "I wish it could be ..." is down there with them.

Is there really no way they would consider taking a break from this stuff?

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Best one ever was one christmas i was working a 12 hour shift in Dunnes,

so i came in at 10am to see most of my collegues were angrier than usual, asking one of my friends what was up, he grimaced and said "you'll see"...

one hour in after numerous non relevant staff announcements over the intercom system it hit me, the song "i wish it could be christmas everyday" was playing non stop,

turns out the music which came from head office had 'glitched' as they told us(or more likely some evil bastard had hit the repeat 1 button :mad:) and that one song was played for 8 hours straight that day,

it ruined christmas and we all still hate it to this day.

I persume it was a cover version?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Seanbirney wrote: »
    I persume it was a cover version?!?

no it wasn't actually but this was many moons ago! back when we had avril lavigne - skater boi and gwen steffani - cool gracing our ears all summer long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Required Field

[QUOTE=krudler;84302419 I used to have to listen to Limerick 95FM all day, anyone from Limerick will attest that it's probably the word radio station in the world, I genuinely think their playlist comes from free cds with the sunday newspapers, they lay Rick Astley with no hint of irony. Listening to muzak would make me want to quit though.[/QUOTE]

Replying to something from March... sue me.

My "favourite" Live 95FM memory is from the time about 8-10 years ago when they would insert someone singing "Limerick's Live 95FM" into various songs, "seamlessly". By which I mean, the inserted recording was sung in the style of the song. So you'd get to chorus of Since You Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson and they'd loop it twice, once with the regular chorus, and again with a low-rent impersoantor of the singer bleating out "Limerick's Live! Limerick's Live! Ninety-Five! FM! Whooaaaaa-yeah!" attempting to keep pace with the music while shoe-horning the awkward phrasing in.

The similarly customised versions of Crazy in Love and some piece of crap by Pink were gloriously ear-destroying pieces of torture.

Working in a shop at the time and being unable to change the radio, I desperately wanted to burn the Live 95FM offices to the ground.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    no it wasn't actually but this was many moons ago! back when we had avril lavigne - skater boi and gwen steffani - cool gracing our ears all summer long!

Ahh back in the good old days where music licences weren't even heard of! I think they came in about 2000? I might be wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I remember working in Dunnes in the run upto Christmas about 10 years ago. They played the same 6 Christmas songs over and over all day long. I knew all the words by heart but they were so annoying!!

I was moved to the stockroom about one week before Christmas and I was so happy I didn't have to hear any music anymore.

I remember working in Dunnes in the run upto Christmas about 10 years ago. They played the same 6 Christmas songs over and over all day long. I knew all the words by heart but they were so annoying!!

I was moved to the stockroom about one week before Christmas and I was so happy I didn't have to hear any music anymore.

Ha you're lucky you didn't work in the Charlestown dunnes! They play the songs through horn speakers real loud! One day we went around cutting all the wires going into the speakers but then we got sacked!:pac:

I worked in dundrum town centre as a cleaner at one point (lol) and one day pat benettar-love is a battlefield came on and it kept repeating itself for TWO WEEKS!!

Pavilions shopping centre!! Ughhhhhh carly rae Jepsen-call me mabye, kelis-accapella and avicii-i could be the one!! 3 songs played ALL THE TIME!!

Seanbirney wrote: »
    A new song in dunnes stores! It goes ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh GOOD LOVE yeah yeah yeah GOOD LOVE mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

The Bat For Lashes one?

See, that's the thing - perfectly fine song on the album, but easy ruined by Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I remember the days when i worked in HMV and i was giving out that all they were playing at the time was muck and crap by rihanna and other such "Artists"

my manager gave me this answer " we have to play music that is consumer friendly. so unfortunately Stairway to heaven is to heavy metal rock type music, but rihanna singing about doing bondage, drugs, getting drunk and doing dirty stuff is perfectly fine !"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I worked in - oh wait I haven't worked a day in my life!

I like how Lidl doesn't play a single bit of music.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In how many of these places do the staff actually have control over the music and its level? One place (now closed) I worked in, each floor was separate and whoever was working there could change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Am I the only person who doesnt remember music being played in any store. o.O Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

worked in dunnes for a summer as a student. the music used for the few months i was there was terrible, awful cover versions of well known songs, which weren't that good to start with. most of the slows were chilled out, slowish songs and i think the idea behind them was to get shoppers to slow down, relax, spend time in the store and hence more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I worked in - oh wait I haven't worked a day in my life!

I like how Lidl doesn't play a single bit of music.

Yes. it's unusually peaceful and quiet in there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

paddy147 wrote: »
    That stupid Ryanair Europop style song they used to play in the plane before the plane was about to leave the terminal gate.

Fcuking head wrecking music to listen to.

Every noise that comes out of the PA on Ryanair flight is painful. And then they have the gall to ask you to remove your headphones. How about you STFU and I'll stop trying to drown you out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Were you ever in Debenhams and some guy come on the about this knife on special offer, he is head wrecking

Red Alert wrote: »
    In how many of these places do the staff actually have control over the music and its level? One place (now closed) I worked in, each floor was separate and whoever was working there could change it.

It depends. Big chains, the staff have no control at all. Somewhere smaller, they might.

When I worked in Game, we were issued CDs we were supposed to play because that music had been specifically paid for by licence by the company, and we did for the most part. In fact the CDs we got weren't bad, there was some Unthanks and stuff in there that I quite liked, but 36743487564 iterations later, it does start to grate.

In practice, if a manager wasn't around, you could sneak something else on, so long as you were reasonable about it - no Slipknot or Azealia Banks or nothing. We were told that occasionally IMRO people would lurk around to make sure we were in compliance with a possible massive fine for the company, but I couldn't tell you how true that is.

There's an emotional arc to hearing the same tracks over and over again, really - it's great, love this song! > fine > annoying > infuriating > resignation > stopped noticing > Zen-like immunity.

The only exception to this I've ever found is the following song, which made me want to murder a nun to a very consistent extent - I never developed any kind of tolerance to it, ever, in all the different versions and jobs and years I heard it.

cassid wrote: »
    Were you ever in Debenhams and some guy come on the about this knife on special offer, he is head wrecking

He used to be in Dunnes (guy giving away kitchen gadgets and trying to sell knives)as well, if you passed him setting up his stand on your way into work you knew it was going to be a **** day.
    He had the most annoying accent and he shouted into to mic whenever he used the tannoy. We hated that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I work in a clothing retailer and due to budget cutbacks in the last few months they have replaced the music that is normally played in store with a fine selection of some of the worst songs I have ever heard in my entire life. They are all incredibly dull and genuinely slowly starting to destroy my soul after listening to them for hours on end day in day out. I've recently discovered that several other retailers and supermarkets seem to be playing the exact same tracklist in their stores. I even had a discussion about some of the odd song choices with a guy working in argos (one song starts with these opening lyrics "Father John do you remember when I was on my knee's with my eyes closed tight".
    Does anyone know where the retailers are getting these songs or know a tracklist of them? I need to know who the songwriters that are sucking the life out of me are. I've managed to track down one song. It's called when I was the man...........it's awful http://www.myspace.com/ericbazilian/music/songs/when-i-was-the-man-56517704

You're welcome :P

http://www.broadjam.com/artists/songs.php?artistID=4139&mediaID=15397

Father John
    Do you remember?
    When I would sit right here
    On my knees, my eyes closed tight
    Father John
    Are you still with me?
    The way that you were
    Even though I've changed my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I was walking around Tayto Park with my sister and her kids last summer, when we realised that Afternoon Delight (of Anchorman fame) was playing over the tannoy. A song about shagging in the daytime in a kids theme park. Noice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Speaking of which, I rang a bin company on Friday and they were playing Ave Maria on hold!!??

Advertisement