Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

cyndale wrote: »
    I downloaded ChampionC's AR-P image and this was the info supplied in the post.

The image is setup to use DHCP automatically and is also set for using HDMI at 720p. Terrestrial is scanned to Irish Saorview - Three Rock Transmitter

FTP and Telnet - Username "root", Password Blank
    OSCam - http://box_ip:8888 - Username "root", Password "oscam"
    WebInterface - http://box_ip (Default Port 80) - change it in Plugins and turn On OpenWebIf if you prefer it to WebInterface (or use both but make sure the port numbers are not the same)

I have put username as root and left password blank!

Password is openAR

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

Test the username and password. Bet you have one of these wrong

Or have you the correct path to where the files are stored on your box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

championc wrote: »
    Or have you the correct path to where the files are stored on your box ?

Thanks, I got it sorted, even though the IP test was originally successful, I checked the IP address on the amiko settop box and I changed it to that and I was able to download the channel list to my PC.

I need to be able to rescan the terrestrial channels because RTE1 and RTE1+1 aren't showing, how do I go about that?

One other thing how do I get the RTE player to work?

Thanks for all the help (so far) to everybody!

For terrestrial scanning, do a manual scan of your local transmitter freq with bandwidth of 8mhz. If no joy, try deleting the Lamedb file.

Both options discussed here over only the past 48 to 72 hrs

championc wrote: »
    For terrestrial scanning, do a manual scan of your local transmitter freq with bandwidth of 8mhz. If no joy, try deleting the Lamedb file.

Both options discussed here over only the past 48 to 72 hrs

Will do, thanks for that!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I removed the lamedb then did a manual single transponder scan on the two frequencies with the bandwidth set to 8mhz.
    Find the channels your mast uses here: http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/
    Then you can find your frequencies here: http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/tuning-saorview/

Did quick test of this on box in my mams house today, didn't work.
    Will retry again at weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

Hi I have championc AR-P image everything works apart from media player, when I am trying to play any file it goes to green screen, tried to load it from 2 different USB's, it was working ok on hyperion 2 any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭zakalibit

give us your crash log, it is located in the /hdd path on your box

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Is there a simple way to load the e2 plugin onto the box , I read something online last night where you just add the plugin to a USB stick and it automatically picks it up ,

This does not work for me , I always need load a whole new version of spark onto my box that has the e2 plug in on it

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

domel wrote: »
    Hi I have championc AR-P image everything works apart from media player, when I am trying to play any file it goes to green screen, tried to load it from 2 different USB's, it was working ok on hyperion 2 any ideas?
    Likewise using Champs latest version can only play TS files. I also tried opening the files directly the same as recordings. Avi, Flv and MP4 all green screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Is there a simple way to load the e2 plugin onto the box... I always need load a whole new version of spark..

To Install Spark Plugins:
    1. Put the plug-in a folder called 'plugin'
    2. Put this folder in the root of a FAT32 formatted USB key. e.g: f:\plugin
    3. Boot the Alien 2 into Spark.
    3. Plug the key into the back of the box.
    4. You will get an on-screen prompt asking if you want to install the plugin. Say yes.

Note:
    You should also be able to just unzip the plug-in and drop it into /root/plugin using FileZilla.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭joebre

White Heart Loon,

Tried what you said but did not work.
    Scart from Amiko to Triax and coax from RF1 to TV.
    Scanned TV, found 1 channel, but nothing visible on TV.
    Just wondering what outputs are working on Amiko on setup ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I'm going to do up a video of how to set her up , my way of giving something back for all the help and hopefully it will be helpful for people going forward !

I hope to have it done in the next few days !

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

joebre wrote: »
    White Heart Loon,

If this was for occasional use only then a different approach might be to stream content from the Alien 2 through your router over Wifi to a laptop using OpenWebIf and connect the laptop to a different TV using an HDMI cable if you want to watch on a bigger screen.

Championc left an interesting post a few days ago. There's a device called an Equiso you can plug in to an HDMI port on a TV and stream content from the Alien 2 to it. Not sure how it works exactly or if that will handle streaming live TV.

Flex

White Heart Loon,

On my image, it's set to HDMI 720p so yes, you will not see anything if using a scart unless you change the type in the A/V settings.

If anyone has an android phone or tablet, them you can stream any channel on your box to it by installing DreamDroid and VLC Player on it. You simply click the bouquet, then the channel, then Stream.

The Equiso (www.equiso.com) is an android stick so it gives you an android tablet on your tv. Obviously you cannot touch the screen to do stuff so instead, you have a wireless remote pointer and qwerty keyboard device.

These sticks are mostly powered by usb and it receives the stream via wi-fi. Search Google too for the MK802 or MK809. These are bare sticks and would still need a pointer device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

White Heart Loon,

You'll have no output from scart when the box is set to HDMI 720p, you'll most likely need to use a scart splitter and use scart to both tv and triax.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭joebre

WHL.

So some /all of the outputs are not working if HDMI 720P is set ?
    My runs are long and do not want to use scart, if possible.
    Through pass through the Amiko with the sat signal and the Traix would modulate the signal to the other TV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

lo all.

I've had this box for a few months, still using Spark (version .69). Currently have issues with the EPG gibberish, it's gotten a little better recently, but I'm still getting gibberish on HD channels in terrestrial (I'm not using satellite at the moment, but I haven't noticed any issues), the standard definition channels EPG populates after I've selected one of the channels, but not before. I haven't changed anything from the factory settings on the EPG that I'm aware of....

Anyone got any pointers or help? I've tried Enigma, but at the moment I can't get an image to load and I don't have the time to troubleshoot it, so I'd like to stay on Spark for the next few months, so switching isn't an option right now.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Ok, I've been using championc's image for the last week or so, and to be quite honest, coming from Windows Mediacenter for the last 4~5 years, Enigma2 is a pain in the proverbial backside!

Solution, use the great work done by championc, get your box up and running with softcam & epg only, fine tune the webif (last setting on the plugin is "use xbmc special settings"), and hook an XBMC to your TV instead, both on the same router, wired, not wireless.

Enable LiveTV in XBMC, enable the VU+/Enigma backend (included in the default XBMC setup) and play around with skins.

Your Alien remains in standby, and you can use more than one XBMC client in the house connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

Seapoint wrote: »
    Ok, I've been using championc's image for the last week or so, and to be quite honest, coming from Windows Mediacenter for the last 4~5 years, Enigma2 is a pain in the proverbial backside!

Solution, use the great work done by championc, get your box up and running with softcam & epg only, fine tune the webif (last setting on the plugin is "use xbmc special settings"), and hook an XBMC to your TV instead, both on the same router, wired, not wireless.

Enable LiveTV in XBMC, enable the VU+/Enigma backend (included in the default XBMC setup) and play around with skins.

Your Alien remains in standby, and you can use more than one XBMC client in the house connected.
    Could you supply with backup of your image?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

To be honest domel, it's championc's image, I just set a static IP, arranged the bouquets the way our family watches them, enabled XBMC features in the OpenWebif plugin, and put the box in standby.

Then I went to the HTPC with XBMC installed on it, enabled LiveTV, it then prompted me to enable a PVR backend, which I selected as VU+/Enigma backend. Insert the Static IP of your Amiko, and that's about it!

I should begin by installing championc's image.

As I try various skins etc on XBMC, I'll move away from a HTPC towards a smaller dedicated (Android based?) XBMC to work in tandem with the Amiko Alien2.

I'll report back on progress.

Check these links out... replace a hardware tuner with the VU+/Enigma plugin in Lifehacker's tutorial.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend/VUPlus

http://lifehacker.com/5981757/how-to-watch-and-record-live-tv-on-your-xbmc-media-center

domel wrote: »
    Could you supply with backup of your image?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭T0MMY

Does anyone else get loud humms and pops when they change channels?
    Is there a solution?
    I'm running HDMU and using box for Saorview and FTA.

Seapoint wrote: »

With the above statement in mind, what ARE the benefits of Enigma2 over Spark that forum members can see?

For me the enigma2 has a much classier look to it, it definitely impresses my friends when they are around at my place. The wife prefers the simplicity of using Spark, nothing gets in the way of just changing channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Anyone come up with a solution for boxes going into what seems to be deep standby and only way to get them back on was a full power cycle? I'm still getting this every few days and since I've a portable HDD attached I reckon it will eventually corrupt it. I think others were having this issue as well but my own box is GM Spark Triplex with Hyperion v3.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭T0MMY

Anyone come up with a solution for boxes going into what seems to be deep standby and only way to get them back on was a full power cycle? I'm still getting this every few days and since I've a portable HDD attached I reckon it will eventually corrupt it. I think others were having this issue as well but my own box is GM Spark Triplex with Hyperion v3.

Never got that with HDMU

cyndale wrote: »
    With the above statement in mind, what ARE the benefits of Enigma2 over Spark that forum members can see?

For me the enigma2 has a much classier look to it, it definitely impresses my friends when they are around at my place. The wife prefers the simplicity of using Spark, nothing gets in the way of just changing channels.

I'm on Enigma nearly a whole year. Spark, in it's first 6 months, was truly awful. The EPG was simply now and next. Recordings were saved with with the TV Station name rather than the programme name. The FF and RW of recordings had a mind of its own. Auto Timer in E2 is a godsend.

So for me Enigma growth was driven out of necessity rather than out of hobby interest for some programmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I'm on exact same set-up. I'm using TechGuys December version of V3. Haven't seen this issue. If u like, pm me with your email address & I'll send on a back-up from my box tomoro.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭aireng

Hi Guys,
    I've had my Alien 2 over 2 months now and am loving it. At the start I didn't really have a clue about all the things you can do with it, I still don't know most of them. I thought as I had asked a lot of questions and had some great help I'd write a bit of an explanation of some of the terms used when it comes to the box, I am still very new to this box but I'll share the little knowledge I have for newbies to save them trawling back through the forums. Anyone feel free to correct or add to my post.
    Picons: These are the little pictures for each channel in the tv guide(EPG)
    CrossEPG: This is the plugin that downloads the tv guide so all the programmes are shown instead of just now and next.
    To move your channels around you generally have to use a program on your computer that sends the order back to the box.ie dreamboxedit
    Bouquet: A group of channels, you can get auto bouquet to add new channels.
    Cooltvguide: This is a plugin that changes the epg layout, ie you can have a layout like a skybox.

When adding files or things like picons you have to ftp to the box, you can use a program like filezilla to do this, you find what your boxes ip address is in network adapter settings then connect to it using user and password depending on what version of enigma you have.

Sorry if this post contains stuff that may be obvious to most people on here, just thought I'd try and add something so as not to be a leecher all the time :)

To Install Spark Plugins:
    1. Put the plug-in a folder called 'plugin'
    2. Put this folder in the root of a FAT32 formatted USB key. e.g: f:\plugin
    3. Boot the Alien 2 into Spark.
    3. Plug the key into the back of the box.
    4. You will get an on-screen prompt asking if you want to install the plugin. Say yes.

Note:
    You should also be able to just unzip the plug-in and drop it into /root/plugin using FileZilla.

Flex

Just on this ,

Its find the plug in the pop up screen comes up , asks if I want to install the plug in , I say yes , It loads then reboots ,

On starting again I go into Plugins in the menu , e2 plugin is not there but SparkRcuSrv is ,

I start it , then hit the red button but it won't load anything , got the plug in from Champions dropbox link ?

Am I doing something wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Ok, here it is, a link to my Jan 2014 Hyperion V3 Image - for the Amiko Alien2 and other ST7162 Based Boxes.

This image is working with the following plugins:-
    1channel (new version) , AutoTimer, AutoVolumeAdjustment, AutoBouquets 20131020 (works in about 60 secs), CacheFlush, CrossEPG, CoolTVGuide v7.0, IPTV Updater v1.1, all Picons, Rats Picons, OSCam (blank - no line ), TSMedia v4.9 beta2, PermanentTimeShift, OpenWebIf and Streaming / Recording of $ Channels while watching another $ channel and SambaServer.

Also includes SkyHD bootlogo and skin

The image is setup to use DHCP automatically and is also set for using HDMI at 720p

FTP and Telnet - Username "root", Password "pkteam"
    OSCam - http://box_ip:8888 - Username "root", Password "oscam"
    OpenWebIf - http://box_ip:00080 - change it in Plugins > OpenWebIf

Download

Enjoy!

Right, this is the best image I have used so far. Fair play TechGuy.

No freezes, no HD glitch.
    HDD mounted automatically.
    I was able to mount my NAS network drive with minimal fuss.
    Love the Sky skin.
    Got Openwebif streaming to my laptop, my android TV box and my HTC phone (although I did have a glitching issue with the streaming. Next challenge is to get the box streaming on my LG Smart TV)

I haven't tried the Saorview yet so I cant comment on that.

I also havent been able to get the box to show up as a drive on my network, but I havent tried too hard at it.

All round, a very solid image. Fair play to the original makers and TheTechGuy for the backup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement