Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things youth defence hates..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Penn wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean. My point was that some women who get pregnant from rape do choose to keep the child, as shown with stories media and pro-life campaigns trot out of such cases in order to try and deter women who get pregnant from rape from having an abortion.

My point was that Youths defence reasoning behind the "rare" remarks was to cast doubt on those who wish an abortion on the grounds of pregnancy by rape....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Came across an interesting blog that suggests only about 14% of YD supporters are actually Irish. They were nice enough to include some source data as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    Came across an interesting blog that suggests only about 14% of YD supporters are actually Irish. They were nice enough to include some source data as well.

Now I feel guilty for following them on twitter. :(
    Actually wonder how many others there are like me solely following them on twitter but in no way supportive of them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jernal wrote: »
    Now I feel guilty for following them on twitter. :(
    Actually wonder how many others there are like me solely following them on twitter but in no way supportive of them?

About the same percentage as ticked the RC box on the Census but are no more Catholics then my Jack Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sarky wrote: »

saw that earlier, you can see the majority of posts on their facebook page are from non-Irish people, yet they supposedly represent a "majority" of Irish people, which, like most of what YD peddles, is bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 YoungIreland

As someone who is pro-life, I have no problem with Youth Defence getting money from the US. What I do have a problem with is the fact that they try to cover it up. I also think that apologising for the article would also have been a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Actor wrote: »
    What would you suggest for the inhabitants of tenemants? Condoms? (or perhaps a sock in the early 20th century?)
    When exactly do you think condoms were invented? Don't you think basic contraception would have saved (hundreds of?) thousands of people living in misery in Ireland in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

YD bites back , insisting the organization (prolifeinfo.ie) that they share an identical address with is not affiliated with them, i wonder how long it will be until they delete that conversation. Calls broadsheet owner a "privileged failed businessman"

YD refers to prolifecampaign.ie when the broadsheet article actually mentions prolifeinfo.ie , thought the other poster seems to have confused the two also.

LgkZB.png

d0ieE.png

KYe5W.png

Hi! I'm that poster on their FB page. I was mortified thinking I had the wrong organisation but they're all from the same address on Capel St. so as far as I can figure they're all related. I'm pro choice, YD harp on about rape statistics so much with their 0.1% resulting in pregnancy, then admitting it's 2-4%, when it's actually 5% approx. To me it's important that the statistic be shown to be what it is, which is that you're as likely to get pregnant from
    rape as consensual sex. Saying anything else is wrong. I'm on my phone so I don't want to dig out the links but I put them all on their FB page.
    They complained I was rambling, had poor English, am a liar and have no credibility in that post and ones that followed soon after. And the ****e some of their supporters come out with? Saying things like pro-choice people must think it is alright to go out and shoot the child of a rapist if it is okay to abort a pregnancy that results from rape!!

hilarious, one of the most prolific posts on YD's page has been trolling them the whole time, shows how ridiculous their beliefs are when any old sh1te being touted as pro-life is thanked and commented on.

krudler wrote: »
    hilarious, one of the most prolific posts on YD's page has been trolling them the whole time, shows how ridiculous their beliefs are when any old sh1te being touted as pro-life is thanked and commented on.

Do tell us more. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Can you post a screenshot krudler? I refuse to like them just to get a chuckle.

fitz0 wrote: »
    Can you post a screenshot krudler? I refuse to like them just to get a chuckle.

its on the Yuff Defence (spoof version which is equally hilarious) page: https://www.facebook.com/YuffDefence?ref=ts

few posts down , guy called Richie, spectacular trolling, YD removed all his actual comments but they were hilarious, I genuinely thought he was one of them until the posts started getting more outlandish, asking pregnant women going to the UK if they were going to have abortions, liking Mcdonalds as they were a pro-life fast food company etc. brilliant stuff. And the funny thing was his posts were all along the lines of stuff actual YD supports post, they were getting likes and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

I posted on YD (totally forgot to get screen shots) just complaining that I didnt like them being i my face on streets etc asI view them as antichoice.
    I also answered their replies, I wasn't rude or mean to any person, didn't name call, didn't liken them to anything.
    I just said I thought the idea behind having the rallys to shame people was vile and disgusting and very cruel.
    I got compared to a mass murderer Pol Pot, a child-slayer, a murderer, an abortion activist (what does that mean? That I activity abort people?!), a pro-abort and other names along those lines.

Flipping "prolife activists" shoving sweets and medals and flyers at kids, its creepy and makes my skin crawl.
    Its wrong to force opinions on people who havent made thier minds up yet.
    Really wanted to say it to some of the poeple there but was talked out of it by the other half, as I know they are as set in their beliefs as I am in mine, and they feel they are doing it for the "right reasons".

I don't care if some one is prolife or prochoice (I'm for choice myself) as long as they dont stop other human beings from having the legal and safe option of having a safe abortion in Ireland.
    I mean people are getting and having abortions regardless of what YD and their ilk say or do, so the Irish govt. might as well make it safe and provide aftercare.
    I think its ridiculous that Ireland in 2012 is still "exporting" its "problem" to England, its crazy and dangerous and expensive and demeaning to people.

Oh and yeah I got banned from their page without any reasons given, which I felt was a bit much considering I wasn't trolling or name calling, all that was coming from their side....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You're clearly an evil hellspawn come to trick people away from the Light with your reasonable tone and your tolerance and respect for others. If I were a religious fundie I'd have banned you too.

Dang, I knew it, I shouldn't be so forgiving of human nature!

Banned 4 lyf...or anti-lyf?

Can't believe YD have all those homophobic tones etc to their agendas etc...in 2012......

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Got banned from the page yesterday for being part of the pro-abortion propaganda machine.

Getting banned from youth defences facebook is a rite of passage

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Got banned from the page yesterday for being part of the pro-abortion propaganda machine.

Getting banned from youth defences facebook is a rite of passage

That's more akin to the right of passage through the White Mountains. Jesus! You guys have some courage to post on their page. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

Oh I've already got a 'debate' going with them Jernal. I'm begin calm, courteous and taking screenshots for lols and defence when they ban me...... first reply I got back was a link to a pro-life website about how this abortionist doctor fed fetuses to dogs. Turns out the story was true, but I pointed out that a) wasn't tackling the issue and b) if that's how she thinks arguments are won, I linked an article about how a born-again killed a doctor in the US thinking he was ''saving children'' and pointed out the pure hypocrisy of it.

And now we play the waiting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Barr125 wrote: »
    Oh I've already got a 'debate' going with them Jernal. I'm begin calm, courteous and taking screenshots for lols and defence when they ban me...... first reply I got back was a link to a pro-life website about how this abortionist doctor fed fetuses to dogs. Turns out the story was true, but I pointed out that a) wasn't tackling the issue and b) if that's how she thinks arguments are won, I linked an article about how a born-again killed a doctor in the US thinking he was ''saving children'' and pointed out the pure hypocrisy of it.

And now we play the waiting game.

Takes guts to do that. Kudos, my friend. I have not been barred, but I am battling it out on the Christian forum here as we speak! Can't bear the YD facebook page with the shouty crowd slinging so many insults and direct lies. I prefer to discuss stuff with reasonable people, even if they'll never see my point of view. Keep on truckin though! It's good for them to have some opposition for once.

• Advertisement

Obliq wrote: »
    Takes guts to do that. Kudos, my friend. I have not been barred, but I am battling it out on the Christian forum here as we speak! Can't bear the YD facebook page with the shouty crowd slinging so many insults and direct lies. I prefer to discuss stuff with reasonable people, even if they'll never see my point of view. Keep on truckin though! It's good for them to have some opposition for once.

Get this, they posted up a notice saying that The UN says that Ireland, without abortion, is one of the safest places in the world for a mother to have a baby. I asked for a link which they provided and upon scouring through it (Thank FSM for Ctrl+F), found 2 mentions of abortion in the entire thing and neither related to Ireland in anyway. SO I called them on it. :)http://www.who.int/whosis/mme_2005.pdf If you'd like to check it out

I calmly await the BanHammer........

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I never got the 'Ireland is a safer place for women without abortion' line of thought. If we allow abortion will people start attacking women in the streets or something?

Get this, they posted up a notice saying that The UN says that Ireland, without abortion, is one of the safest places in the world for a mother to have a baby. I asked for a link which they provided and upon scouring through it (Thank FSM for Ctrl+F), found 2 mentions of abortion in the entire thing and neither related to Ireland in anyway. SO I called them on it. :)http://www.who.int/whosis/mme_2005.pdf If you'd like to check it out

Eeuurgghh, they KEEP on spouting that. Yer wan Niamh Uí Bhriain was full of it on primetime last night too. We are actually the 13th safest place to have a baby, and the 12 countries ahead of us all have access to abortion. Fact.
    Thanks though. I check out the page a lot, for research purposes (!), will surely spot your post. Gotta go talk to fundamentalists now, before bed. It sends me to sleep ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That was comprehensively debunked by oldrnwisr here

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Good ol' oldrnwisr, if there was ever someone to debunk anything comprehensively, it's him.

(Thank FSM for Ctrl+F)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4yEYZ4BsXf5G8eeFpqMB03KVSdZRR9RW3a8e1OrWhZFUQyZot

re: "The awkward moment when you realise one of your friends likes Youth Defense on Facebook"
    - My homepage currently has an ad on it from them that says, "Like if you think everyone has a right to life" with a like button underneath. I can only hope certain people 'liked' it without really knowing what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Galvasean wrote: »
    re: "The awkward moment when you realise one of your friends likes Youth Defense on Facebook"
    - My homepage currently has an ad on it from them that says, "Like if you think everyone has a right to life" with a like button underneath. I can only hope certain people 'liked' it without really knowing what it was.

I just seen three of my friends like it. Two of them I know are pro-choice and the other is gay? Obviously dont know what it is.

Ambiguous advert is effective :/

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ambiguous advert is effective :/

If you read the posts on their facebook page it is quite clear that some of their supporters don't even agree with YD's values. I'm tempted to make a comment deriding homosexuals and see how many supporters on their page will call me out for being homophobic. The only reason I've not yet done so is because I don't want to be banned from the page. It is, quite simply, a page that is far too funny to be banned from. :D

Advertisement