Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fantastic Four (Reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It looks so poor ....Fox should have let that rights go that time a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wont even bother pirating this. FFS who thought it was a good idea to tell their origin story yet again? They were already the most boring of any of the Marvel heroes and thats saying something with the mush thats being doled out these days.

Is the next Spiderman film going to tell the tale of a nerd who goes on a school tour and gets bitten by a radioactive spider?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Fox should let this die and move onto the likes of X-Force, X-Factor or New Mutants and expand their universe that way. Hell Marvel would probably have no interest in reaquiring any of the F4 for there verse unless maybe they wanted Reed for his intelligence alongside Banner. I hope the dont try and actually cross them with the X-Verse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It's not very good, but then I'm sure none of us needed to be told :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Fox should let this die and move onto the likes of X-Force, X-Factor or New Mutants and expand their universe that way. Hell Marvel would probably have no interest in reaquiring any of the F4 for there verse unless maybe they wanted Reed for his intelligence alongside Banner. I hope the dont try and actually cross them with the X-Verse.

The problem with Fox is they really don't realise what they actually have and the potential of it, Gambit and Deadpool are been made due to the actors pushing for them but like you said X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants, Excalibur, Generation X have great potential

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

McLoughlin wrote: »
    The problem with Fox is they really don't realise what they actually have and the potential of it, Gambit and Deadpool are been made due to the actors pushing for them but like you said X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants, Excalibur, Generation X have great potential

If the Deadpool movie does well, all Fox need to do is make a decent Cable film and X-force could be there version of the Avengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

That is fairly damning alright. Not surprised though, with the exception of the first trailer, it's looked like total generic muck.

15% on rottentomatoes when checked yesterday.

The previous two movies didn't even get that low!

Edit: 8% now. Ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Helen O' Hara wasn't too keen.

http://t.co/tdTdMQLEGR

What Kate Mara is saying about her fan experience at Comic-Con:
    "We spent a whole day there, sort of working and doing press, and you don't really get to meet the fans. So the next morning, Jamie Bell and I decided, 'Well, we want the experience of Comic-Con. So let's just go out, let's walk to get a coffee amongst all of the fans,'" Mara explained to Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan. "And we were like, 'Well, maybe this is a bad idea. We'll get mobbed and it'll be crazy,' and not one person...not one person noticed us."

Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

This movie is criminally boring. Really is one of the worst big screen super hero movies to come in awhile. You can't even say it's a turn your brain off kind of movie, it's just really dull with almost no action at all. The movie appears to be missing a middle act, the final just comes out of nowhere and the movie just kind of stops at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Rebellion

i agree fantastic four , useless

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I read this and it's so toe-curlingly awful I just laughed out loud: I'll spoiler-text it to protect the innocent, and I haven't seen it confirmed yet, but apparently:
    this film is so desperate for GRIMDARK DRAMA they changed "It's clobbering time" so that it was what Ben Grimm's abusive brother said before he hit Ben. Genius.
    :D :rolleyes:

pixelburp wrote: »
    I read this and it's so toe-curlingly awful I just laughed out loud: I'll spoiler-text it to protect the innocent, and I haven't seen it confirmed yet, but apparently:
    this film is so desperate for GRIMDARK DRAMA they changed "It's clobbering time" so that it was what Ben Grimm's abusive brother said before he hit Ben. Genius.
    :D :rolleyes:

Yeah its true. Also
    they go to the alternate dimension (and get super powers) cos they all get drunk and decide to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

cloud493 wrote: »
    Yeah its true. Also
    they go to the alternate dimension (and get super powers) cos they all get drunk and decide to go.

Wow, I mean you can clearly see from the trailers alone they were reaching for something overly dark n' all, and god knows I think F4 deserve to be consigned to the goofier corners of comic history & forgotten, but yeeeeeesh, talk about trying way, WAY too hard. Part of me actually wants to go now, just to see how bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Dire.

The only reason I didn't walk out as because I fell asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Josh-Trank-Twitter-Remarks-615x319.png

I do have a feeling there was insane studio interference here, regardless of his ability.
    Feel they regretted the appointment before they even made it

• Advertisement

I can only imagine how horrible it must be to create something you think is great, but then have the studio come along and destroy it and you have no choice but to stand back and watch it powerlessly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds like he knows it's a turkey and is just covering his ass. I'm sure the studio interfered, but if it's as bad as folks are making out I'm sceptical it would have been any good to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trank will blame the studio and the studio will blame Trank but one thing for sure is 90% of fans knew and said this film should never have been made in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I do have a feeling there was insane studio interference here, regardless of his ability.
    Feel they regretted the appointment before they even made it

I wouldn't be certain, as the last 2 X Men films and upcoming Deadpool film would suggest that Fox have learnt their lesson, and are more willing to trust a director's vision.

I'd defend Fox on this one and would suggest that Trank was simply out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Movie wasn't great but wasn't as bad as being made out. 3/10 ? Come on, that's twilight breaking dawn levels and it was nowhere near as bad as that!

It's a 5-6 star movie. I didn't enjoy it anymore or less then I did antman that's getting ridiculously positive reviews.

Wasn't there tattle though of Trank behaving weird and erratic, something along those lines? That shooting happened without him and that he was dumped from Star Wars off the back of the bad mouthing? Feels like this the truth might eventually come out but sounds like a clusterf*ck either way

Drumpot wrote: »
    Movie wasn't great but wasn't as bad as being made out. 3/10 ? Come on, that's twilight breaking dawn levels and it was nowhere near as bad as that!

It's a 5-6 star movie. I didn't enjoy it anymore or less then I did antman that's getting ridiculously positive reviews.

You raise a fair point, as I think sometimes critics decide before the fact which way they are going to receive a film.

There's a certain film coming out next year that I fear will get a similar treatment regardless of merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Eh I don't think the extremely poor response so far could be down to people wanting to dislike it. Especially considering how (all too imo) charitable critics have been to Marvel lately.

e_e wrote: »
    Eh I don't think the extremely poor response so far could be down to people wanting to dislike it. Especially considering how (all too imo) charitable critics have been to Marvel lately.
    From an online perspective fans have wanted to hate it from the get go. From the casting of Johnny Storm to the apparent changes to Doom's character, there is an element that definitely wanted to dislike it from the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wasn't there tattle though of Trank behaving weird and erratic, something along those lines? That shooting happened without him and that he was dumped from Star Wars off the back of the bad mouthing? Feels like this the truth might eventually come out but sounds like a clusterf*ck either way

Yep, one report that a house was trashed or something. Trank has vehemently denied a lot of the rumours though.

I think this trend of giving young, inexperienced directors tentpole blockbusters is a damn shame. We've had Gareth Edwards, Colin Trevorrow and now Trank all jump from small-scale debut features to $100m+ sophomore features. And while they've had varying degrees of commercial success - still can't quite comprehend how Jurassic World has broken records :pac: - I think few would dispute that creatively they've all been equally varying degrees of a bust. Their voices have all struggled to be heard over the demands of a major studio film. Would have been great if they'd had a few more films to develop their voices and maybe even earn a bit more creative freedom in the process.

As for the poor reviews: good. I'm also of the belief that critics and audiences alike have given a lot of mediocre superhero fare overly generous passes over the last few years (for all its flaws, I reckon the Dark Knight Rises was the last legitimately ambitious effort in the genre). If the tide starts turning, and they're less warmly received, then I can see that being a catalyst to provoke more interesting films, which are fast seeming long overdue. A few more straight-up, high-profile stinkers could be just the shake-up superhero films need.

Advertisement