Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fantastic Four (Reboot)

Options
  • 17-07-2012 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

So, they're also rebooting Fantastic Four. Josh Trank (Chronicle) is direct and Jeremy Slater is writing the script. I found that Trank ruined the third act of Chronicle which had so much potential prior to that. But perhaps he might learn from his mistakes. In terms of The Fantastic Four, I was never really a fan of the comics etc.

Interesting part on the script writer is this.
    However, we've heard from our own sources that what really landed him this superhero job is another spec script he wrote called The Man of Tomorrow which is essentially an alternate take on Batman and Superman without every mentioning the characters by name beyond their super powers and background. It's apparently very gritty and set in an alternate 1940's time period with a lot of style.
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/up-and-coming-writer-jeremy-slater-hired-for-fantastic-four-reboot/

It might have some potential as a film (primarily because of Slater) although I'm not sure when we'll get sick of superhero films (Especially ones with fairly crap source material in the first place).......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Are original ideas officially dead and buried?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Fantastic four should just get the boot. There is nothing fantastic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Pity Fantastic Fours movie rights includes some of the best villains in the Marvel Universe :/ and of course Silver Surfer

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Incredibles was the best Fantastic Four film possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Incredibles was the best Fantastic Four film possible.

This times a million.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Will Vic Mackey be back to play Ben Grimm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I was on a bit of a Marvel buzz during the mid 00's but I have to say I hated those two movies so much. Like has already been alluded to the FF works best at the childish level of The Incredibles.

Apart from Johnny, the FF's powers are stupid looking/boring in themselves and the goofball comedy tone of the previous films didn't work for me at all (esp when they tried gearshifting to dark menacing scenes involving the bad guys or an attempt at pathos with Ben Grimm's backstory.). It just flew against the frivolous tone created by the rest of the movies and the whole thing collapsed as a result.

So whilst I might have liked a more serious FF movie, I can't actually see any way of makin one, esp when you have a rubbery guy called "Mr. Fantastic" whose power involved stretching into silly looking shapes. Kind of undermines the whole thing for me before the get go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Ben Grimm's Thing is a great character. Basically Hulk without the loss of the person behind it.
    Jonny Storm (Human torch) again a great character with under used powers.
    Sue Storm/Richards (Invisible Woman): Massive potential if they stop making her so weak and her forcefields completely drain her all the time. This always annoyed me, what use are force fields if you can never sustain them?

Reed really is the weakness, in terms of powers. I think that they need to focus more on his intelligence and use his powers a bit more agressively. Instead of always wrapping himself around the villian have him make his arms swords/malletts/axes etc. You could really go to town on his powers, if used correctly and not in a defensive manner. Have him able to be a bit more of a shape shifter etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Are original ideas officially dead and buried?

In the slim defence of comic-movies starting to reboot themselves, it's no more surprising than the way the comics themselves behave: DC and Marvel happily reboot, retconn & revamp whenever they feel like it. Hell, DC are right in the middle of an unapologetic reboot of their entire universe.

That said, The Fantastic Four doesn't work, and can't see this new movie doing well. The concept is too dorky by half and belongs in the Silver Age where they should stay. Some comics are just too of their time to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Ridley

pixelburp wrote: »
    That said, The Fantastic Four doesn't work, and can't see this new movie doing well. The concept is too dorky by half and belongs in the Silver Age where they should stay. Some comics are just too of their time to work.

Tish, pshaw and nonsense. If Superman can keep coming back so can the FF.

I share the cynicism that the movie probably won't have much going for it and I'll agree with Mickeroo in that The Incredibles bettered the FF at their own game but the idea of a celebrity, superhero family can easily be made to fit the modern day.

Sure you can could handwave the origin as an out of date Cold War Red Scare scenario or you can do with it what Mark Waid did: make it the story of a brilliant but arrogant man who almost killed his loved ones due to his own ego and embraced their celebrity to atone and spare them being branded as freaks.

scan0014.jpg

Plus I'm a Human Torch fan and he's awesome. :mad:
    This always annoyed me, what use are force fields if you can never sustain them?

I prefer my superheros with weaknesses. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They need to go with the family angle imo. The reason The Incredibles is so awesome is because under all the action its just a story about a family dealing with their issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The character I'd really like to see from both of these movies is Silver Surfer. He has always been a favourite of mine. It's a pity Marvel don't own the rights as he is critical to an infinity gauntlet movie.

I've tried to read FF over the years but it's not a book I'm a huge fan of. Now Daredevil is a different matter.

Ridley wrote: »
    I prefer my superheros with weaknesses. ;)

Totally agree but there is a difference between a weakness and being weak.
    Sue is constantly overpowered and always looks to be struggling with forcefields and her field blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Matthew Vaughn is in as producer now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

make it about the real fantastic four
    330venturebros1007.jpg?w=753

Source

With Simon Kinberg brought on to do a polish on the
    script, Fox is now preparing to test a handful of thesps for the roles of Reed
    Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic, and Sue Storm, aka the Invisible Girl, in the
    upcoming “Fantastic Four” reboot.

Sources tell Variety that Kit Harington, Jack O’Connell
    and Miles Teller are in line to get test offers to read for the role of Richards
    while Saoirse Ronan, Kate Mara and Margot Robbie are being tested for Storm.
    Michael B. Jordan is the only actor currently being mentioned as a possibility
    to play Johnny Storm, aka the Human Torch, but that could change.

Saoirse seems to be linked to every role these days :P

Going by the names mentioned this is going to be woefully miscast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looks like Mrs Storm was cheating on the side with that cast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Skerries wrote: »
    looks like Mrs Storm was cheating on the side with that cast

Or maybe Saoirse is going to do a 'Kirk Lazarus' and go black for the movie!

As long as she does not go full retard

• Advertisement

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a550250/fantastic-four-michael-b-jordan-talks-human-torch-role.html

The actor said that he could not confirm the reports that he has been cast as the Human Torch/Johnny Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ive got absolutely nothing against actors of black or white playing different roles, but sometimes it seems the studios go out of their way to cast actors in the opposite way they were originally written/cast, as if to break some kind of 'barrier'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

So I guess Sue will also have to be black then? This reboot is already turning into a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So I guess Sue will also have to be black then? This reboot is already turning into a shambles

1. Adopted brother?

2. RACIST!!!!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why, because a black guy's in it? I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it does kinda read that way :)

Considering how poorly the first attempts at the Fantastic Four were, I don't see the problem with the studios trying something different after the first attempt failed to inspire so hey, could work. God knows the superhero genre could do with a little diversity anyway and steer itself away from the alpha-white-male territory it sits in atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Corholio wrote: »
    Ive got absolutely nothing against actors of black or white playing different roles, but sometimes it seems the studios go out of their way to cast actors in the opposite way they were originally written/cast, as if to break some kind of 'barrier'.

worked for Nick Fury, isnt the comic version based on Sam Jackson now?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Why, because a black guy's in it? I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it does kinda read that way :)

Well she's that character's older sister so it makes sense to come to that conclusion.

It doesn't really matter if they make the Storm's black at all imo.
    I think the likes of Kit Harrington are a bit too young to be playing Reed Richards though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well she's that character's older sister so it makes sense to come to that conclusion.

I don't think I was clear; I was facetiously remarking how his post read like he was equating the casting of a black guy as indicative the production was a shambles. :) Yeah I get Sue's related, but sure what of it, like I said it'd make a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

krudler wrote: »
    worked for Nick Fury, isnt the comic version based on Sam Jackson now?

The Ultimate Marvel series had Nick Fury based on Samuel L Jackson before he played him or was even cast in the movies. The regular comic series now has Nick Fury Jr. (introduced in 2012) who looks like Jackson as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Clockwise: Reed Richards (Miles Teller), Johnny Storm (Michael B Jordan), Ben Grimm (Jamie Bell), Sue Storm (Kate Mara)

fantastic-four-reboot-miles-teller-michael-b-jordan-kate-mara-jamie-bell.jpg

Very young choices, I think the most interesting (and possibly controversial) is Bell but I think he's a great actor who has proved himself many times. He also has experience with mo-cap

Advertisement