Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fantastic Four (Reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

e_e wrote: »
    Anyone else feel weirdly obligated to see this now?

I kinda of want to see a really odd and interesting misfire instead of the straight down the line stuff we've been seeing lately. Plus if it's really really awful it'll make me appreciate the great Summer movies of this year Inside Out and Mad Max Fury Road all the more. ;)

I really do want to see now, I just don't want to add to it's box office just in case it makes enough money to be deemed profitable for another sequel.

I may or may not pirate it ...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Haven't seen anything in the reviews to suggest there's anything odd or interesting about it so far, just really really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Haven't seen anything in the reviews to suggest there's anything odd or interesting about it so far, just really really bad.

Yeah but like, its so bad its kinda interesting. I mean its not a difficult formula (even if you guys think its way over done by Marvel) but they fumble it so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

e_e wrote:
    Anyone else feel weirdly obligated to see this now?

I had that feeling with Terminator Genysis, and went hoping it would at least be laughably bad. I was disappointed. I have an unlimited card and I'm still not sure I want to waste my time on this, it just sounds so tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

And I was reasonably optimistic about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Ridley

Fox must let FF die and focus on mutants. Marvel would kill to be able to include the likes of Cyclops/Wolverine/Magneto/Professor X/Jean Grey available.

The FF would be a far easier fit into the MCU than the mutants would be.

But googling I realise you're the same guy I was disagreeing on this with back in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The /filmcast review is very interesting. Jeff Cannata who is among the biggest Marvel fans out there was left genuinely flummoxed by it almost to the point of incoherence. The talk of bizarre graphic violence, psychological horror and a David Cronenberg (?????) influence on Josh Trank's vision has me weirdly curious too. Can't help but wonder what this studio meddling, on-set tension and weird tone results in. It seems to me like a complete car crash that has to be seen tbh.

But I'll try to at least see Rogue Nation first though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Went to see this today and i loved it ! After all the shyte I heard this was meant to be I sat there waitimg for the car crash that never came

Is this FF ? NO But I knew that going in. What I got was somethin akin to a mid 90s warren Ellis interpretation of what FF was meant to be and I had a blast .

In fact this has "cult classic " stamped all over it as its basically a 12as horror film writ large ( seriously how the hell else can ya describe dooms "escape sequences" ) . This is NOT the usual marvel film and imo its treated far more realistic than their usual fair . Reed legging it for instance. Not what I expected.AT ALL from the assumed team leader and the film is far more a character peice than a " smack bang whallop " action movie . It actually takes its time getting to the action and highlights the conflicts between each of its casts respective motivations
    It's not perfect . I kept wishing the thing would wear some damm pants . But there's a HELL OF A LOT more here than the reviews imply . And id love a sequel . And as wildly different from the source material this is its the BEST interpretation of the team so far that I've seen.

7/10 from me with no prob seeing it again .

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

There's always one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

In fact this has "cult classic " stamped all over it as its basically a 12as horror film writ large ( seriously how the hell else can ya describe dooms "escape sequences" ) .

This is the only thing I really liked and felt the movie would have benefited more if they didnt have the 12A restriction. Maybe that's what fox where worried about, Trunk has stated his initial version focused more on that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This wasn't nearly as bad as it's being made out. Sure, it was pretty slow and took itself way too seriously but there wasn't much about it that was outright awful.

The pros:
    The cast was pretty great (with the exception of Mara, who is blandness personified)
    A lot of it looked great (particularly the Human Torch and Mr. Fantastic's stretching)
    The exploration of super-powered people being somewhat at the mercy of the government was decent

The cons:
    Dr. Doom was pretty awful - looked terrible as well
    There was very little levity and most of what there was kinda fell flat
    Just when it started to get going, it was kinda over

I guess they didn't bother with the whole "Victor Domaschev" thing that Trank was on about early on. Kinda get the feeling that that was kinda decided without him, but it was a good decision. Also, something that didn't really make sense to me was
    when the second team go to the other dimension and find Doom, he is apparently injured. They take him back to Earth and he suddenly decides that he's not injured and wants to go back to his new home. Did he pretend to be injured? If so, why? He pretty much just wanted to be left alone so why bother going back to Earth with them? If not, how could he have possibly been injured when he was the only person on his world and drew power from the world itself?
    I dunno, I couldn't find the sense in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I'd rate your opinion NW so it's interesting that you thought Reed's stretch effects were good, as critics seem to be focusing on those effects to beat the film.

Does FF have any other villains bar Doom? It just seems like he's being done to death! I mean.. surely we'd've gotten a proper Galactus by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Does FF have any other villains bar Doom? It just seems like he's being done to death! I mean.. surely we'd've gotten a proper Galactus by now.

Mole Man, Malice, Annihilus, Diablo, Frightful Four, Kang the Conqueror, Skrulls and Super-Skrull, Terrax, Puppet Master ...

Malice (evil Invisable woman) would be a very good character and story to translate to film

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I'd rate your opinion NW so it's interesting that you thought Reed's stretch effects were good, as critics seem to be focusing on those effects to beat the film.

Part of me may just be comparing it with the previous iterations' effects (which were so awful) but there's one scene that looks particularly good and another where he moves a lot like Elastigirl from The Incredibles, which I liked. That said, there's not a huge amount of stretching in the film anyway...!

In the film, no. He is the Joker to their Batman, Red Skull to their Captain America but, in the comics, they have plenty of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just back from it as well and I didn't think it was the total disaster that people have been bandying about.
    Sure it seemed like they were forever building that machine and some ideas and subplots went nowhere but it wasn't all bad.
    Really sick of the Doom or Viktor.
    Would have liked to see him held off for a while, for possible further instalments that we won't see now.
    They could have been worked Ben into being the threat. Surely what he was doing for that year in the film would have warped him, along with his new hideous visage. Coupled with the obvious rough upbringing could have turned him into a loose canon and maybe he went to the college with Reed and gets **** from Viktor (superiority complex) and Johnny( jealous of the closeness between Reed and his dad, lashes out at Ben which would also establish their fractious relationship). they could have kept their theme of family, where Reed needs to convince Ben that they are family or a team or whatever because Ben turns bad and works for the military after the accident and what Reed did.
    And the military using him as a weapon and a Tool, whilst intially giving him a purpose, scars him emotionally or some such.

There's a lot wrong with the movie, in fairness, but I don't think using Doom as the villain is anywhere near the top of the list. The mishandling of him was crime enough, particularly his aesthetic imo, though. I think its biggest flaw was that it was just kinda boring... It takes an age to get going, with very little fun as it goes, and then ends pretty abruptly. Also, the more I think about it, the more I think
    the ending is pretty much exactly the same as Age of Ultron. The stop the bad guy, get given their own facility to work and the film ends with the leader getting cut off as he's about to say 'the line'
    . No big deal, just felt a bit lazy.

Tbh, I'll definitely watch this again (cos I'm a fucking nerd like that) and will likely enjoy it more second time around when I can feel the beats coming.

I think using Doom is bad just because it really feels like they're retreading old ground - you'd think for a reboot they would have gone for something new! It's like if they had done the Spiderman reboot and kept the villains as the Hobgoblin/Greengoblin, which did somewhat happen in the sequel to the reboot, but at least other villains were the main focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Saw this today. Highlight was that I went to a cinema that did butter popcorn. Easily the worst superhero movie I've seen, worse than Green Lantern. By a fair bit too. I'm a big Miles Teller fan so was very much open to liking it.

I won't spoil anything, not that there is anything to spoil, but the movie genuinely seems like it's missing 30 or 40 minutes (in terms of plot that is, would not ever want another 40 mins of that). Basically goes straight from 'we don't get on' to 'look it's the bad guy lets fight him to save the world' in about 15-20 minutes and then the movie is over. There's no buildup and no character development. Despite the lack of buildup the ending still felt anticlimactic, in the worst way possible.

Please don't give money to the creators of this movie by seeing it. I regret that I did.

• Advertisement

nltNfiZ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I had no idea there was so much baggage surrounding this production (probably because of my spectacular disinterest in the concept of a F4 reboot). This video goes into detail:

It's a shame that the career of a promising young director could be in tatters, though he hasn't done himself any favours with his conduct. Publicly denouncing your own film on the eve of its release - will another studio touch him after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just saw it after reading all the negative stuff regarding the production reviews etc and I think it's getting a bad rap, it's a hell of a lot better the last two Fantastic Four movies and I actually found this more entertaining then Ant Man! So it's dead in the water now but in time I think it will garner a "cult classic" status
    It will be interesting to see what Fox do in 6-7 years time with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Apparently Fox have pulled Fantastic Four 2 and have put Deadpool 2 in its place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I had no idea there was so much baggage surrounding this production (probably because of my spectacular disinterest in the concept of a F4 reboot). This video goes into detail:

It's a shame that the career of a promising young director could be in tatters, though he hasn't done himself any favours with his conduct. Publicly denouncing your own film on the eve of its release - will another studio touch him after that?

If the rumours about his set conduct are accurate then he hasn't covered himself in glory either.

ps3lover wrote: »
    Apparently Fox have pulled Fantastic Four 2 and have put Deadpool 2 in its place.

If this is true, the execs at Fox are even stupider than they've been given credit for. Planning a sequel to a movie before it's released and having to sheepishly cancel it only days after the first movie's release is bad enough. Doing the exact same thing in the same brush, no matter how positive the expectations for Deadpool may be, is insane.

Apparently this has already bombed, so its not that surprising.

The most damning thing out of all of this, excluding the reviews and the audience feedback, is the director coming out, pretty much before it is even released, and apologizing, saying it wasn't his fault.

Even Joel Schumacher took a while to apologize for Batman Forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

cloud493 wrote: »
    Apparently this has already bombed, so its not that surprising.

11 million est for the opening night in the States, which is about a third that a blockbuster success of this genre type would get while at the top end Avengers: Age of Ultron bagged 84m on its opening Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I thought it was a silly idea to do a FF4 reboot and certainly will not be going to see this. Its been done already. Why do Hollywood do it again? Simple because they don,t seem to have any new or original idea,s anymore. Its all just about the money. Maybe this might teach them a bit.
    I liked the original FF4 films and think they should have done an FF3 not a reboot.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement