Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fantastic Four (Reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Not too sure about this at all Teaser only really shows that there very young , you're man who i assume is playing Reed has a whack of a teenage Dexter's laboratory about him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

New images over at Empire. Pure speculation but it looks to me that these are from late on and that we could be seeing some sort of "costumes". Reed in particular seems to have spiraling rope of some kind wrapped around his arm as well as stretched over his whole outfit which could allow the material to stretch as he does.

89587.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wonderboy76

Frankly, the thing I remember was the comic and cartoon was so colourful. The blue and white of their suits, the orange of the thing, the green of Doom... it looks like they've gone down the 'dark and moody' palette for this one again. They should have just stuck them in black leather and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Frankly, the thing I remember was the comic and cartoon was so colourful. The blue and white of their suits, the orange of the thing, the green of Doom... it looks like they've gone down the 'dark and moody' palette for this one again. They should have just stuck them in black leather and be done with it.

What do you mean again?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm not going to write off the film because of it but dark and moody is not something I've ever associated with FF. Incredibles aside, X-Men first class springs to mind as an aesthetic that would work for a FF film ,it wasn't overly goofy but it was very bright and colourful and didn't get too caught up with being overly serious.

Even the previous two FF films looked the part and were tonally in the right place. Personally thought the casting in those was spot on too, just everything else about them let them down.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    What do you mean again?

I mean another super hero movie going dark and gritty (I don't mean the other FF movies) - sorry, reading back I realise I wasn't very clear.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm not going to write off the film because of it but dark and moody is not something I've ever associated with FF. Incredibles aside, X-Men first class springs to mind as an aesthetic that would work for a FF film ,it wasn't overly goofy but it was very bright and colourful and didn't get too caught up with being overly serious.

Even the previous two FF films looked the part and were tonally in the right place. Personally thought the casting in those was spot on too, just everything else about them let them down.

Yes, First class was bright and had a lightness to it that didn't have to dress them all in black leather and have them stood about looking pissed off in the rain. the previous FF movies should have been awesome, but the scripts were horrible. Everything else mostly worked I thought.

Yeah, I liked the FF cast and look. Story and script however....

Seriously that new one is muted orange and teal everywhere. And still far to f*cking young for Reed

Yeah, I liked the FF cast and look. Story and script however....

Seriously that new one is muted orange and teal everywhere. And still far to f*cking young for Reed

Have you seen the Corman version? When barely legal Sue gets all dreamy over Reed? and then he looks the same years later when he turns up at the Storm guest house (seriously, they at least stayed slavishly faithful to the comics) to invite her and Jonny into space for sh*ts and giggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Count me interested. Miles Teller has been the best thing about most of the movies I've seen him in to-date.

Like Mickeroo, I thought the look and casting of the previous movies was spot on but the stories really, really let them down. Even our 9 year old will rarely watch them, opting for the Avengers movies far more often.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Count me interested. Miles Teller has been the best thing about most of the movies I've seen him in to-date.

Like Mickeroo, I thought the look and casting of the previous movies was spot on but the stories really, really let them down. Even our 9 year old will rarely watch them, opting for the Avengers movies far more often.

They made the mistake that Superman Returns made - they were BORING. A super hero movie should be full of action, adventure, larger than life stuff - the first FF movie had barely any action and one of the big set pieces was something they caused themselves. I literally remember bugger all about Silver Surfer, it was so boring apart from Sue stopping the chopper from crashing.

All I remember from them was Jessica Alba in her panties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I literally remember bugger all about Silver Surfer, it was so boring apart from Sue stopping the chopper from crashing.

The first two FF movies were sh*te but at least they gave us that scene with Johnny chasing the silver surfer. That was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Can't be bothered trying to link on my phone but the first real look at The Thing has been released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Ridley

Grimm and gritty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

That trailer is a bit of a let down after the first one. This is looking much more like a "paint by numbers" superhero movie than I was hoping for. Good still be good, but trailer was a bit dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Bacchus wrote: »
    That trailer is a bit of a let down after the first one. This is looking much more like a "paint by numbers" superhero movie than I was hoping for. Good still be good, but trailer was a bit dull.

I actually think you're being too kind. This barely even looks like a superhero movie. It looks more like a boring drama.

The very idea of this movie is awful. Why on earth would anyone think a team like Fantastic Four should have a 'dark, gritty' movie? Their story is dark and gritty enough as it is (Ben Grimm being forever changed into a monster, Reed Richards endlessly weighed down by the guilt of what he caused to happen to his friends-Ben in particular-and unable, despite his genius and resources, to do anything about it) without trying to hammer it home by making it boring and darkening the palette. Ugh!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I actually think you're being too kind. This barely even looks like a superhero movie. It looks more like a boring drama.

The very idea of this movie is awful. Why on earth would anyone think a team like Fantastic Four should have a 'dark, gritty' movie? Their story is dark and gritty enough as it is (Ben Grimm being forever changed into a monster, Reed Richards endlessly weighed down by the guilt of what he caused to happen to his friends-Ben in particular-and unable, despite his genius and resources, to do anything about it) without trying to hammer it home by making it boring and darkening the palette. Ugh!

Bear in mind this is apparently influenced by the Ultimate Fantastic Four comic, which has a different take and tone than the original F4. And, frankly, given the dreadful offerings Fox came up with for the previous two F4 films, trying something different at least would be a different failure mode...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

On the teaser I said the below.
    In fairness now that's how to do a trailer for people like myself who were skeptical of this reboot.

Now,

That full trailer is the the reason I was skeptical of this reboot in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there going to be a new plot in this or are they just going to tell the same story about being exposed to cosmic rays again?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I actually thought it was a decent trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, the trailer has grown on me after a couple of viewings. I have absolutely no expectations or patience for the Fantastic Four, being as it is one of the more blatantly goofy concepts from comics history, clearly harking the days of 'Matter Eating Lad' and the like. And while delving into the grimdark territory is a bit eye rolling at first, the trailer seems to tally with comments and interviews with Josh Trank who claimed the movie would explore a 'body horror' angle, taking inspiration from David Cronenberg of all people, with notions of mutation as physical deformity: Johnny Storm's appearance is kinda creepy, as is everyone else's (I wonder if we might see some walking innards when Sue's mutation is revealed) and I can definitely see the Cronenberg influence in that trailer.

Mind you, the notion of the Fantastic Four's changes being a curse not a blessing was brilliantly explored for comedy in Venture Bros. on TV, so that's my personal watermark for adapting the F4 to screen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Josh Trank's exit from directing the second Star Wars spin-off movie is still causing ripples, and now there are rumours he was fired for "erratic" behaviour.

The director announced he was quitting in a joint statement with Lucasfilm yesterday (May 1), saying he was "making a personal decision to move forward on a different path".

It now appears there are rumours he was actually let go, following concerns about alleged "unusual conduct" when filming the Fantastic Four reboot.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that Trank's working style on the movie was described by an insider as "erratic" and at times "very isolated".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/inside-a-star-wars-firing-792933

According to the insider, he was also said to be "indecisive and uncommunicative", leaving producers Simon Kinberg and Hutch Parker to step in and bring the film together - even though Trank remained on set directing.

Kinberg, who is also producing the second Star Wars spin-off movie, is said to have told Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm about the issues, causing concern at the prospect of Trank heading up the project.

The film has also had extensive re-shoots. Those were complicated because stars Miles Teller, Kate Mara and Michael B. Jordan had obligations on other films. The most recent round involved three days of re-shoots at the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I just find this version of the Thing to be awkward looking. The CGI looks aged.. and it hasn't even been released yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I just find this version of the Thing to be awkward looking. The CGI looks aged.. and it hasn't even been released yet!

Maybe they didn't finish the CGI ? Been reading about the cast been brought backafter the film was done for reshots and new work, They spent so much on the reshots and new work film there was no money left in the budget or even time to convert the film into 3D.

This is looking less interesting with each trailer they release. They're really going for the dark colour palette and themes. The trailer pretty much picks out every beat of what the movie will be too and it was kinda boring.

• Advertisement

urgh
    355267.JPG
    57890034.jpg

Advertisement