Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've yet to embrace Battlestar Galactica, it's on my list & the fact it gets such positive comments is promising.
    Which Battlestar? The old or new?
    Never watched the old series but finally got around to the new a couple of months ago.
    Slow to really get going (took me ages to get through the 1st series) but then it just went all kinds of mental and epic :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

But Red Dwarf isn't sci-fi really, its a comedy sit com at its heart.

I've yet to embrace Battlestar Galactica, it's on my list & the fact it gets such positive comments is promising.

Battlestar is brilliant, I loved it, one of the best scifi series ever. You should check that out. Red Dwarf is a product of the time, much like Bottom too. it was great years ago, but it hasnt aged well at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

*mandatory video post*

It really is a great show though. A few rough edges aside (frickin' epilogue) it's a smart, unusual and surprisingly dark TV show full of great characters. So say we all.

That video is disturbingly accurate....

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

nuxxx wrote: »
    uhm...

Anyone know a place to pickup a NTSC snes with decent shipping costs?

I was looking for one for some time, and didn't come up with any obvious answers (and much as I want a SNES it hasn't been a priotity for me). I think getting one from Japan seemed like the best option - the slower mail options are reasonably affordable compared to the crazy prices you can expect to pay to get one from the US or Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Which Battlestar? The old or new?
    Never watched the old series but finally got around to the new a couple of months ago.
    Slow to really get going (took me ages to get through the 1st series) but then it just went all kinds of mental and epic :pac:

Em both of them, I've never seen either one. I'm coming to the end of my DS9 run now & well into season 7 so will be looking to start something different soon. I was thinking of doing a run through Sliders, but BSG is tempting me over...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ok I need a hand for a project I'm working on. Can anyone think of some characters from cartoons etc who live in sewers.

So far I have the Turtles and The Morlocks from xmen

Can anyone think of anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

The characters from Round the Bend any good to you?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/orgers/rtb/pics.htm

Not a cartoon but you did throw an 'etc' in there :)

Haha I remember that now, ah anything like that is good too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ok I need a hand for a project I'm working on. Can anyone think of some characters from cartoons etc who live in sewers.

Giant Crocodile Guy from Batman?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The Rat King from turtles as well. Danger mouse lives in the sewers right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Kit Walker from Phantom 2040, I don't think he lived in the sewers but he used them a far bit, as far as I can remember.

Street Sharks.

Biker Mice from Mars.

To add to Keith's Killer Croc from Batman the Animated Series... the Rat King, although he was only in one episode and is kinda depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The Rat King must have been in dozens of episodes.

Don't forget the mutants in Futurama though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

DinoRex wrote: »
    The Rat King must have been in dozens of episodes.

I got that wrong, I meant the Sewer King from Batman the Animated Series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What about the Fraggles? Of Fraggle Rock fame. Ok, technically not the sewers as they lived in caves under a lighthouse, but they were cool! As were the Doozers. :cool:

Great stuff lads thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What about the Fraggles? Of Fraggle Rock fame. Ok, technically not the sewers as they lived in caves under a lighthouse, but they were cool! As were the Doozers. :cool:

In Ireland we got the US version as well, where the tunnel to the Fraggles was through a hole in the wall of Doc's repair shop, strangely he had a Sprocket dog as well, maybe they were clones.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The greatest film ever now in iOS format:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Non gaming retro question here.
    Was anyone else at or near the air show win Bray yesterday?
    If so do you know if it was just Irish planes at it? I took a few snaps from the beach near the show and every plane seems to have the Irish flag on them so I was just wondering was it an all Irish affair or did they have a few international planes at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    Non gaming retro question here.
    Was anyone else at or near the air show win Bray yesterday?
    If so do you know if it was just Irish planes at it? I took a few snaps from the beach near the show and every plane seems to have the Irish flag on them so I was just wondering was it an all Irish affair or did they have a few international planes at it.

Do we need to be worried about you and your non-retro habits? The other day you were telling us how easy it is to import guns and ammo and now you're taking pics of planes and asking about non-Irish ones? :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do we need to be worried about you and your non-retro habits? The other day you were telling us how easy it is to import guns and ammo and now you're taking pics of planes and asking about non-Irish ones? :pac:

Haha, no you're ok.
    No terrorist urges from me. I just wanted to get a few pics of some cool planes and we don't really have that many here in Ireland. So I was a little disappointed with the show.
    Got a few ok pics anyway but really wanted some pics of Russian and US hardware and dreaming of seeing a Spitfire in flight again.

Pics are about 3MB each.
    http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2826/dsc2107tonemapped.jpg
    http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8938/dsc2113tonemapped.jpg
    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1734/dsc2118tonemappedb.jpg
    http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2213/dsc2140tonemapped.jpg
    http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4079/dsc2178tonemapped.jpg
    http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/5016/dsc2179tonemapped.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

and dreaming of seeing a Spitfire in flight again.

You've seen one in action before? Lucky sod, where??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

You've seen one in action before? Lucky sod, where??

About 7 or 8 years ago over in the UK.

Hopefully in the next 2 years I'll actually be up in one over in the US with a chance to take the controls for a while, for a price. There's a company that does it in the UK and the US and I managed to get up in a couple of Biplanes last year with them. They only have the Spitfire over in the US as its privately owned and there are legal things involved to go up in one in the UK.

I'll send you on the links if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just back from a weeks holiday with zero internet. Zero! What did I miss?!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

About 7 or 8 years ago over in the UK.

Hopefully in the next 2 years I'll actually be up in one over in the US with a chance to take the controls for a while, for a price. There's a company that does it in the UK and the US and I managed to get up in a couple of Biplanes last year with them. They only have the Spitfire over in the US as its privately owned and there are legal things involved to go up in one in the UK.

I'll send you on the links if you like?

I was in Duxford, by accident, in 2001 and saw Spitfires, Me109, some big ass bomber as well, brilliant stuff and the noise they made was fantastic.
    Made you realise how "personal" dogfights were in the Battle of Britain, none of this fire the AAM from a couple of miles out and shag off home!

o1s1n wrote: »

BATMAN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

o1s1n wrote: »
    BATMAN!

Saw it today.

I think I'll keep my opinions on The Dark Knight to myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement