Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sorry, I was too busy being young and partying my liver off.

Actually I've just been playing too much pokemon in between working!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    beep beep boop, beep beep, beep boop, beep beep, beep boop, beep boop, beep boop...

Pong? Space Invaders? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

No RAGE are having a massive online sale which has the internet distracted.

I doubt it, as that'd imply they advertise their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,623 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Pong? Space Invaders? :)

Super Mario theme tune. I was trying to help fill in the awkward silence.. :D

Just realized I paid for a Taito F3 with Puzzle Bobble 2 over three weeks ago and havent received it yet.

Time for an angry email!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just realized I paid for a Taito F3 with Puzzle Bobble 2 over three weeks ago and havent received it yet.

Time for an angry email!

How much did that cost you? Sounds cool, always been a fan of the Puzzle Bobble games, even if they threw everything except the kitchen sink in later on, the second one is my favourite.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

36 pounds. Not too shabby. Here was the auction -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130721746368?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_1048

I'd love to get Elevator Action Returns for it, by far my fav F3 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Blazing Star just landed in the iOS app store for those interested.
    €2.39 for it and its iPhone and iPad optimised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This makes me wish Consolevania was still around. Also makes me happy I'm a gamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-25-lost-humanity-5-being-them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That article makes me wish Eurogamer had slightly higher editorial standards :o

Tongue-in-cheek / ironic though it may be, it's that kind of adolescent / elitist attitude that bothers me in so much gaming journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I find more issue with the idea that Alex lives in such straits, yet, in his mid-30s, still hasn't bitten the end of a sawn-off.

Cool article, the by way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it's meant to he a fluff piece and Rab has written a lot of serious articles before. I'd actually prefer a return to the writing style of the old future publishing magazines of the early 90's or consolevania. It's infinitely better than the dry boring ****e in the likes of Edge and I felt I could trust the reviews back then when the reviewer wasn't trying to prove some kind of agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I find more issue with the idea that Alex lives in such straits, yet, in his mid-30s, still hasn't bitten the end of a sawn-off.

He has a job, a girlfriend and can afford to buy an iPhone. There's worse-off than him :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well it's meant to he a fluff piece and Rab has written a lot of serious articles before. I'd actually prefer a return to the writing style of the old future publishing magazines of the early 90's or consolevania. It's infinitely better than the dry boring ****e in the likes of Edge and I felt I could trust the reviews back then when the reviewer wasn't trying to prove some kind of agenda.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with some cheeky, witty opinion pieces. Several of the columnists in your detested Edge manage just that, with the occasional insight too :) Games TM has a few too, last I checked.

There is something wrong with idiotic, adolescent generalisations devoid of genuine wit or insightful comment. I just thought that particular article was a piece of ****. The last line particularly leaves a sour taste where there could have been a punchline. It would be great if more games journalism had a sense of fun. It would also be great if it was well written.

On a different topic, this is pretty neat: http://www.humblebundle.com/

Valkyria Chronicles soundtrack included, alongside some They Might Be Giants and Jonathan Coulton :) A nice twist on the humble bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm liking Brian Howe's articles in Edge, his pieces are mostly pretty funny, nice addition to the regulars. I quite like how they've now split up the opinion pieces into the more general ones and the more developer/designer focused ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

ghostchant wrote: »
    I'm liking Brian Howe's articles in Edge, his pieces are mostly pretty funny, nice addition to the regulars. I quite like how they've now split up the opinion pieces into the more general ones and the more developer/designer focused ones.

See, an Edge related post without any mention of Gunstar or 6/10 or Retr0's sore point anywhere, is this the Age of Aquarius we have been long promised?
    aquarius-expander.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Doge

First time seeing this, so I said id share in case I wasn't the only one:

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    See, an Edge related post without any mention of Gunstar or 6/10 or Retr0's sore point anywhere, is this the Age of Aquarius we have been long promised?

The odd moment of pretension aside (their recent psychology articles have been, to use Retr0's words, dry) it's still such a welcome monthly break from online games journalism. The columnists really are great - even the design theory ones, which I personally find fascinating. Also, they totes gave me a 3DS, so yay for them.

Master of the Universe

Just looking at that interactive tour of Michael Jackson's arcade again - something I didn't notice the last time, the bastard had a Sega R 30!

http://www.pinsane2.com/pinorama/events/MJ_09/kr/michael_jackson_arcade_entry.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Intellivision TV Advert
    ..our most exciting visual effect, the complete destruction of a planet.
    It is very exciting :)

Just looking at that interactive tour of Michael Jackson's arcade again - something I didn't notice the last time, the bastard had a Sega R 30!

http://www.pinsane2.com/pinorama/events/MJ_09/kr/michael_jackson_arcade_entry.html

But, in order to play those games you'd have to spend time with the weirdo, is it worth it?
    Particularly worrisome would be the naked sleep over... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

But, in order to play those games you'd have to spend time with the weirdo, is it worth it?

As compensated dating goes, it was probably a far better benefit than just getting a sneaky sip of the altar wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Steve SI wrote: »
    Intellivision TV Advert

That's British? Odd, I thought there used to be laws against mentioning competitors in ads in the UK.

I remember seeing a US magazine advert for the Game Gear that did a comparison with the GameBoy, going on this whole rant about how if you were "colorblind" and had a low IQ you probably wouldn't mind which handheld you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

"The Whorephanage is for whores and orphans, not Michael Jackson!"

(Anyone else seen the Black Dynamite animated series yet?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah its been posted here before, the lack of an FZ-1 doesn't bode well for his status :p Not to mention running some of those gems through an lcd...

/nerd jealousy

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah its been posted here before, the lack of an FZ-1 doesn't bode well for his status :p Not to mention running some of those gems through an lcd...

That's what I thought when i saw it too. Why would you have such an impressive collection and not have a CRT to run them through?

Still though...nerd-gasm for his games room!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

dreamcast looks a bit yellow as well, pffft

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement