Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's the reason why we had the stupid blue swirl in Europe and not the correct colour.

A German publisher already owned it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_C8mLYTcMGnUGfLoJwfiWB54SQRaEgb_5klkvorXmg6V0jVsg7w
    Ehhh. That's more a blessing in disguise. Blue looks much better on white.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,712 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You are wrong. That is all :pac:

I am right. That is all. *Pacman smiley*

Honestly, Orange looked a bit garish on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Great rendition of the phantasy star 2 intro music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wonder would it be possible to remove a backlit screen from a GBA SP (Ciderman will crucify me at the idea!) and install it in a NGP?

I'll defend my AGS 101 to the death!
    Back off you godless heathen!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

But imagine a backlight NGP...it would be glorious!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am right. That is all. *Pacman smiley*

Honestly, Orange looked a bit garish on it.

No, orange was all part of the theme of the console.
    I boot one at launch, imported it from Japan.
    It was one of the first and came in an awesome orange box (who hasn't!).
    It was one of a series and mine had the Sega mascot guy ask over it in various "candid" moments.
    Very cool, I wish I still had it all, probably worth a few bob!
    But the smashing orangey bit was present through out the media, the software and packaging etc all had orange and the swirl logo about themselves.
    The orange let it stand out, the blue just made it feel a little too safe, boring, when the console was anything but.

Eventually I traded mine with a guy for a Saturn, N64, a bunch of games and about 50 in cash.
    Not bad.

True to form I later bought another one!

But imagine a backlight NGP...it would be glorious!!

You'll have to pry the AGS 101 from my cold dead hand!

Or offer me an obscene amount of money!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You'll have to pry the AGS 101 from my cold dead hand!

Or offer me an obscene amount of money!

Now Cidey, we all know you're one mediocre FPS sequel (Fire Warrior 2) away from putting the GBA on adverts, selling it, trading-in the game a few months later after never playing it, and then buying an AGS 101 again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Now Cidey, we all know you're one mediocre FPS sequel (Fire Warrior 2) away from putting the GBA on adverts, selling it, trading-in the game a few months later after never playing it, and then buying an AGS 101 again :p

Its just how he rolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I have to agree with o1s1n I actually prefer blue as it's what I grew up with.

The branding of the entire console was blue over here, blue cases blue logo... Dreamarena was all different shades of blue (god... Dreamarena was brilliant back in it's day).

The nostalgiafactor with it for me is way up there, the Red or Orange swirl has always looked odd to me.

That reminds me, anybody here fancy an Android Dreamcast power on boot animation?

Gonna work on an Android app soon that'll replace it on the majority of devices (if they're rooted) and with sound too if your phone has support for that. Surprisingly not all Android devices can play sounds during boot.

I'll be working on two versions, retail and devkit. Any interest?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I never really realised how absolutely pointless the 4MB expansion for the N64 is. It sounds great that you can now play games in high resolution mode but the truth is a lot different. I threw on Hybrid Heaven and saw it was 4MB 'enhanced' so took the pak from my PAL console and transferred it to the NTSC one. I put the resolution up and it looked great in high res except now it was running at 10FPS. I forgot how awful high res was in Perfect Dark, you can imagine what it did to a game that already had dire frame rate issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Does the extra memory provide any performance benefit if you leave the resolution at the lower level ?

Just play some Conker's BFD, that'll cheer you up :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That asda price for a WiiU is tempting. May have to sign up to parcel motel :)
    Does the extra memory provide any performance benefit if you leave the resolution at the lower level ?

Just play some Conker's BFD, that'll cheer you up :)

None that I can see.

Blegh I hate Conker's Bad Fur Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

qqZ1ub5.png

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That asda price for a WiiU is tempting. May have to sign up to parcel motel :)

None that I can see.

Blegh I hate Conker's Bad Fur Day!

You're not already using Parcel Motel? gtfo you bloody noob! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Speaking of WiiU, it's absence in games shops is incredible. I was in Smythes the other day and if it wasn't fit the small stack of WiiU consoles on the top shelf behind the counter, you wouldn't even know they existed.

deathrider wrote: »
    Speaking of WiiU, it's absence in games shops is incredible. I was in Smythes the other day and if it wasn't fit the small stack of WiiU consoles on the top shelf behind the counter, you wouldn't even know they existed.

Yeah quite surprised by that myself, I wonder why it's like that.

Do the likes of MS and Sony pay them bigger bucks for larger store presence or something? This wasn't the case with the original Wii at all.

one mediocre FPS sequel (Fire Warrior 2)

There could be a rumour of a Fire Warrior sequel!!

Oh! Wii U Game and Wario is being released on the 28th of June.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Game-Wario-592763.html

• Advertisement

TEAM BLUE SWIRL, PHO LYFE, BRAAHS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Achilles wrote: »
    Yeah quite surprised by that myself, I wonder why it's like that.

Do the likes of MS and Sony pay them bigger bucks for larger store presence or something? This wasn't the case with the original Wii at all.

there has been feck all marketing support of the WiiU here (and presumably the rest of the EU territiory), no TV campaign, no advertising and no point of sale marketing.

Infairness they have feck all to market on WiiU but maybe with soem big announcements at E3 time and the launch of the other competitors we might see a push towards the end of the year. They'll have to sort somethgn out or they could end up with a Vita situation on their hands!

there has been feck all marketing support of the WiiU here (and presumably the rest of the EU territiory), no TV campaign, no advertising and no point of sale marketing.

Infairness they have feck all to market on WiiU but maybe with soem big announcements at E3 time and the launch of the other competitors we might see a push towards the end of the year. They'll have to sort somethgn out or they could end up with a Vita situation on their hands!

I bloody hope not, I ended up selling my Vita at a huge loss due to lack of support for it. Also the fact that it hasn't been hacked yet didn't help. :-)

I wanted emulators on my oled screen thank you very much!

Nintendo have announced that they're not presenting at E3. Nintendo Direct is their model for announcing things now.

Master of the Universe

I have to agree with o1s1n I actually prefer blue as it's what I grew up with.

I like the orange one, not the blue! :D

Wouldn't mind blue if it was the same colour as the Japanese Sega logo. I don't like that US blue.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Nintendo have announced that they're not presenting at E3. Nintendo Direct is their model for announcing things now.

Yeah I heard that alright, they are really pushing this idea of being outside the console wars.

In fairness when I buy Nintendo machines it is primarily to play Nintendo 1st party games even on the 3DS my interest really hasn't gone much beyond the first party stuff. If I had the disposable income I'd happily splurge on a WiiU just for the Half dozen or so Mario, Zelda et al games likely to appear over the next couple of years.

I like the orange one, not the blue! :D

Wouldn't mind blue if it was the same colour as the Japanese Sega logo. I don't like that US blue.

Ahh ok, somebody said that orange looked much better on white and your post directly below that said 'you are wrong, that is all'.

Mistook that for meaning that you preferred the blue and not a response to a previous post.

My bad!

Master of the Universe

Ahh ok, somebody said that orange looked much better on white and your post directly below that said 'you are wrong, that is all'.

Mistook that for meaning that you preferred the blue and not a response to a previous post.

My bad!

You mad!! :pac:

That's really interesting about Nintendo pulling out of E3. I'm amazed E3 is even going at all anymore.

So, finished Halo 4... Not as good as Reach but good never the less.
    Quick question...
    Why did Cortana look like a stripper?
    Unfortunately the game is finished now, having no mates I find multiplayer modes only depress me :(
    Only kidding, I've loads of mates!
    My mum and dad, my two dozen cats, my meth dealer, the bugs with banana shaped eyes who live in my armpits who tell me what the gods want me to do with the rifle....
    Sorry, drifted off there, what was I saying?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, finished Halo 4... Not as good as Reach but good never the less.
    Quick question...
    Why did Cortana look like a stripper?
    Unfortunately the game is finished now, having no mates I find multiplayer modes only depress me :(
    Only kidding, I've loads of mates!
    My mum and dad, my two dozen cats, my meth dealer, the bugs with banana shaped eyes who live in my armpits who tell me what the gods want me to do with the rifle....
    Sorry, drifted off there, what was I saying?

Nothing out of the ordinary...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement