Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He even managed to get the same framerate the game has in the picture :P

That tv looks about 28" too big

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Not sure who keeps a TV on the floor either.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

He's got the munchies right but I don't see the ashtray full of doob's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding Ratchet and Clank, I have them but don't really like them, the ps2 are all bit "vanilla", built by committee rather than by a developer with vision.
    And at that, I prefer it's cousin Jak and Daxter, particularly the first one, before they went all "street" with the second one.
    I had the first ps3 Ratchet and Clank game on the ps3 but found it to be an equally empty experience, nothing particularly bad but nothing outstanding either.

Mario games would seem to be consistently better, particularly in the most recent gen, with Mario Galaxy and it's sequel being simply outstanding with innovation throughout.

In the ps2 generation Super Mario Sunshine on the 'Cube was fantastic, even though it's not the best Mario game in the franchise it is the best 3d platformer of its generation, in my opinion at least.

Even in the current gen I found the likes of Alice Madness Returns to be a better, more interesting game than R&C.
    Jak and Daxter this been seem to be entirely superfluous, no one is losing an opportunity to experience something amazing by forgetting to play one of those titles.

I haven't tried any of the Sly Cooper titles, though I have one or two for the ps2, am I missing out?

For unsung 3d platformering/brawling might I direct folk to Mark of Kri?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I actually spotted both a Jak game and a Rachet game today, but didn't bother picking them up. I might grab them tomorrow if they're still about. I've never played them, but what harm can it do?

In other news, what's the deal with the current event pokémon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I only played the ps3 games of R&C and thought they were great.

Same goes for sly cooper when i played the hd trilogy

I cannot say the same thing for sonic adventure 2. I am sorry but other than the sonic levels i really hate the game. How in the living hell sonic team and Takashi Iizuka especially thought having knuckles treasure seeking levels and the medicore tales mech levels was cool to be put in i will never understand.

At least with sonic 06 i can laugh at its faults and beat it but i cant..i just cant bring myself to play anymore of that game crap it throws at me.

Thats 8 quid i am never going to get back off psn.

:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If it's off the beaten track games is what you might want, a very good 3d platformer is Haven on the ps2.
    It all like a rock on release and hadn't fared any better since.
    But... It's actually very good, or at least quite good, using a nifty fractal generator to provide some of the visuals.
    It combines lots of different game play types in different levels.
    One note of caution though it felt, to me at least, like a good third of the game was missing, seeming just a little too short.
    But it's definitely worth picking up, cheap as chips!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

deathrider wrote: »

In other news, what's the deal with the current event pokémon?

The meloetta event that's in game stores?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Envy the woman who found a $7.99 copy of Stadium Games in a charity shop: http://kotaku.com/holy-grail-of-rare-video-games-found-in-a-goodwill-fo-473730982

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Envy the woman who found a $7.99 copy of Stadium Games in a charity shop: http://kotaku.com/holy-grail-of-rare-video-games-found-in-a-goodwill-fo-473730982

Johnny_Ultimate: 'ARGH! I FOUND IT! A COPY OF STADIUM GAMES!'

/reads label closely -

'Damn it, it's just Stadium Events'

/Throws away

0_O

The meloetta event that's in game stores?

That's the one. Is she available in Ireland? I went into Gamestop asking about it today, and they knew nothing about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That's the one. Is she available in Ireland? I went into Gamestop asking about it today, and they knew nothing about it.

Nope it's only in GAME, so unless you're going to Belfast or England you'll have to get it by trading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually spotted both a Jak game and a Rachet game today, but didn't bother picking them up. I might grab them tomorrow if they're still about. I've never played them, but what harm can it do?

The first was a novelty, a decent platformer on a PS2 crying out for titles that had the innovation of a streaming landscape. It's near unplayable now with it's awful framerate. The second game got good reviews but it's a pretty crappy game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The first was a novelty, a decent platformer on a PS2 crying out for titles that had the innovation of a streaming landscape. It's near unplayable now with it's awful framerate. The second game got good reviews but it's a pretty crappy game.

I'm not so sure, I played a bit of the first J&D game last month and it ran pretty fine.
    The second one is a dog though.....
    J&D 2 committee: "Hmm, gotta make this game more popular, say... GTA 3 is pretty great, lets make Jak a mean antihero and shoehorn in a crappy open city thing with vehicles, get the lowest paid art guy to come up with some sh1tty designs!"

Nope it's only in GAME, so unless you're going to Belfast or England you'll have to get it by trading.

Disaaaaaster. I guess I can calk this up as a bad day then- I missed out on a pokémon, I spent the whole day sneezing, and I played Sonic Riders. Bad times.

Disaaaaaster. I guess I can calk this up as a bad day then- I missed out on a pokémon, I spent the whole day sneezing, and I played Sonic Riders. Bad times.

Could have been worse, could've been Shadow the Hedgehog!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Dark Souls update:

Grrrr... Anor Londo... stupid Silver Knights

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Could have been worse, could've been Shadow the Hedgehog!

I went down that road once... Never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

mother 2 coming to WiiU VC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sera wrote: »

...I.... I don't even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

wtlltw wrote: »

Is that worldwide or JAP only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

EnterNow wrote: »

Worldwide released in Europe and America at the end of this year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Europe and America according to siliconera.

Interesting. I wonder will it have any impact on the price of the real Earthbound carts...doubtful, but I can only hope!

Interesting. I wonder will it have any impact on the price of the real Earthbound carts...doubtful, but I can only hope!

Will it have any impact on the price of converted Mother 2 carts! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

wtlltw wrote: »

Otherwise known as justifying my impending Wii-U purchase. It's surreal, I've waited for this for so long. It feels like a loved one ending a term inside. No, no hyperbole whatsoever.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Will it have any impact on the price of converted Mother 2 carts! ;)

Yeah the massive profits in making them will no doubt be a thing of the past :P

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »
    Tenya Wanya Teens is a game about saying 'I love you' and peeing, and not confusing the two

I wasn't hitherto aware of a sub-group who had trouble distinguishing between saying "I love you" and peeing, it's surprising to tell the truth.
    I imagine in such groups courtship rituals are often soggy affairs, with much emphasis on dark coloured trousers and incontinence pants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement