Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

fExtd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Just watched Dredd and realised that I miss the old Judge Dredd game on the SNES...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Talk of Zelda and the Minish cap on previous pages got me longing the play the gba again.

Located the gba sp and charger. Battery was totally zonked so have it on charge. Hopefully the batteries aren't fooked.

Also located my EZFA cart and cable so once the batteries are charged ill hook that up and install necessary client software.

One thing I don't have although is one of those headphone adapter thingies. Essential if ill be playing it on my daily bus commute.

I thought eBay would be crawling with these but no such luck.

Anyone know where I could get one super cheap or themselves have a spare?
    Cheers

Steve SI wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on the airflow solution on these shelves?.......A bit tacky but something similar could be done to many an IKEA storage unit and keep it a bit more low key.

That seems to me like it's combining unneccessary hassle with poor design. I like the riser idea to keep the machines elevated for airflow/dust control reasons, and i'm sure a fan or two helps with cooling, but do you really need 8 fluorescent blue PC fans running around the clock for modern console gaming? I'd rather listen to an overheating xbox.

For all the cash the guy probably spent on parts to put that together, a decent open backed TV stand would have done the same job for less, and would have looked a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What are peoples thoughts on the airflow solution on these shelves?

Its an abomination

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Its an abomination

IF i needed an airflow solution, I'd run some ducting on the rear of my ikea media unit, with air intakes behind each console. Then i'd just connect a single quiet extractor fan to the end of the ducting to pull the hot air away. If the room got too hot, I'd open a fecking window.

No six fans, no blue fluorescent lights, just nice and discreet, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

IF i needed an airflow solution, I'd run some ducting on the rear of my ikea media unit, with air intakes behind each console. Then i'd just connect a single quiet extractor fan to the end of the ducting to pull the hot air away. If the room got too hot, I'd open a fecking window.

No six fans, no blue fluorescent lights, just nice and discreet, problem solved.

I just don't bother. Problem solved. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah, It's tacky as hell but perhaps something a lot nicer looking and less flashy.
    A couple of 120mm silent fans at the back of large group of consoles would certainly help the airflow if done correctly.

Edit:
    I should mention I don't care about keeping modern consoles extra cool, its the retro ones and in particular the rare ones that I want to protect as much as possible. Some consoles you just cant get any more (or were never released like my 3DO M2 for example).

Yeah, It's tacky as hell but perhaps something a lot nicer looking and less flashy.
    A couple of 120mm silent fans at the back of large group of consoles would certainly help the airflow if done correctly.

But what difference does it matter how many consoles there are, if only one is ever going to be on at any given time?

I would certainly look at something like an extraction solution if i was running a business from home and had a server or two and some machines up and running 24/7, but for gaming? Seems like overkill to me. I have a first generation xbox360 that's a b@stard for overheating, and even that's fine once it's got a bit of space around it.

It just seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

But what difference does it matter how many consoles there are, if only one is ever going to be on at any given time?

I would certainly look at something like an extraction solution if i was running a business from home and had a server or two and some machines up and running 24/7, but for gaming? Seems like overkill to me. I have a first generation xbox360 that's a b@stard for overheating, and even that's fine once it's got a bit of space around it.

It just seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

But as I said in the edit above, it's the rare stuff i care about, not keeping the 360 or PS3 running cool.
    Ahh, it was just something I came across and thought I'd share here.

• Advertisement

But as I said in the edit above, it's the rare stuff i care about, not keeping the 360 or PS3 running cool.
    Ahh, it was just something I came across and thought I'd share here.

Serious question, not just playing devil's advocate here: What retro stuff is actually likely to overheat? I can't remember any old console i ever owned before this generation running hot enough to cause a problem. I would have thought that anything from the last gen onwards might be a contender, because of the increased GPU and main processor speeds etc in newer hardware, but i don't remember overheating ever being an issue in any console i ever owned before that. The first time it ever appeared on my radar was when my 360 RROD'd.

Does retro stuff burn itself out?

Serious question, not just playing devil's advocate here: What retro stuff is actually likely to overheat? I can't remember any old console i ever owned before this generation running hot enough to cause a problem. I would have thought that anything from the last gen onwards might be a contender, because of the increased GPU and main processor speeds etc in newer hardware, but i don't remember overheating ever being an issue in any console i ever owned before that. The first time it ever appeared on my radar was when my 360 RROD'd.

Does retro stuff burn itself out?

Well, none get particularly hot but if a little extra airflow extended the life of my M2 or other rarities by 20-30 years I'd call it worth it. As I said, I'm not talking about megadrives, PC Engines and all that. I'm talking stuff that's rare and mega pricey that if they died you'd

The M2 does actually get a little hot as does the older versions of the US 3DO FZ1 (the ones with the little fans in them).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The cooling solution won't do much but blow farts around the room. The only console getting cooled is the PS3, and that's assuming both fans are blowing in the 'right' direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TBH cooling really isn't necessary for old consoles. As long as you aren't playing them for hours on end they should be fine.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    TBH cooling really isn't necessary for old consoles. As long as you aren't playing them for hours on end they should be fine.

Ehh, are you new here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ehh, are you new here :)

Sauron shouts up lights out Retr0" at about 8pm, so cut him some slack...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And that's it until 6am when it's slopping out....
    The only thing that he has to look forward to is the occasional visit to from Sera!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It seems Sega still haven't come close to plumbing the depths of bull****. Maybe not Sega but the current bellend that is running the Shining Force series into the ground . Still I can't believe everyone else is Sega is condoning this.

From HG101:
    According to members of Shining Force Central, since mid-2011 official Sega twitter feeds have been blocking many western fans from following them, including all members of SFC. The new producer of the series dislikes the older Camelot games and - allegedly - dislikes the western fandom.

This ties in to the Youtube closures. Sega are stark raving insane. I'm emailing the head of SFC, and if I get any concrete info I'll make a blog entry.

This is so weird. Sega jumped right into bed with the Sonic community when creating those godawful downloadable games, and yet they're intent on attacking anyone who wants to buy a Shining Force game...

Oh Sega, you so crazy!

http://hg101.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=games&action=display&thread=9844&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Just after beating the first 2 levels of Dk crash course on the wiiu an i have to go through them again to get to the 3rd level:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

There's levels?!?!

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    There's levels?!?!

Yep 4 of them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

asteroidsf.jpg

Not mine (image from the banksy forum) but love the seats and the 1979 original Asteroids machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I want those seats!!!! :eek:

Bollocks just died on level 4

Addictive bloody game:eek:

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Bollocks just died on level 4

Addictive bloody game:eek:

Your bollocks died?

I wasn't aware you had any...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Achilles wrote: »
    Your bollocks died?

We have to update Achilles as to the status of our bollocks ownership?

Is this a Ciderman approved rule? :pac:

Your bollocks died?

At least i didnt brick my Vwii on the WiiU:p

cf7a240e-16a1-4403-ae43-a810347a5635.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

o1s1n wrote: »
    I want those seats!!!! :eek:

They look hugely uncomfortable.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    At least i didnt brick my Vwii on the WiiU:p

cf7a240e-16a1-4403-ae43-a810347a5635.jpg

At least I didn't... your ma to... in... your face...

YEAH

• Advertisement

At least I didn't... your ma to... in... your face...

YEAH

When yore ma goes into a bar all the guys gather around her.

Its not her looks though

Its Gravity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement