Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't feel too bad, Dragon Quest IX is a bit of a doddle to beat, it's probably the games biggest flaw.

Make him beat Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call and he will instantly sprout a hairy chest.

contra4-737891.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Yes, I too have been to Leitrim.....

And having gotten 35 odd hours into Oblivion back in the day the place felt like you couldn't throw a fairy in a bottle over your shoulder without hitting the entrance to another dread dungeon!

Skyrim, I just have to get that game sometime, at this rate I might as well just wait for the Game of the Year edition and get all the DLC, so's I have more well crafted storyline never to see!
    2 big expansions/Dlcs etc out this year so goty versions probably a year off id say. For the love of god , get the pc version! Its worth it for the hires pack/ mods/ betyer controls and , for when a quest is bugged...console!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I think Tempest and Rayman were supposed to have pushed it the hardest, but a lot of the multi console ports typically ran on the 680xx as the its was a bitch to dev on.

Didn't know Rayman was on the jag. I always had it in my head that it was a ps1 exclusive and then only later found out it was on the Saturn too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Hmm.. Want to do a Gradius V vid for the youtube channel..but Konami seem to autoclaim anything with footage of their games...whats the best non konami horizontal shooter on the PS2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Didn't know Rayman was on the jag. I always had it in my head that it was a ps1 exclusive and then only later found out it was on the Saturn too.

Oddly enough the Jag version is supposed to the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah but 'Blast Processing' was a marketing ploy for a console that at least lived up to its potential...the claims of a 64bit machine that was often surpassed by 16bit machines was just farcical.

DO THE MATH, FOO'!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oddly enough the Jag version is supposed to the best.

I'm pretty sure the Jag version is missing levels from the PS1 and Saturn versions. It started off as a Jag exclusive so I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

PS3 reportedly surpasses 360 in shipping totals.

http://tinyurl.com/a6sw5fj
    Lifetime global PS3 shipments have reportedly surpassed those of Xbox 360, despite Sony’s console launching a year after Microsoft’s.

That’s according to a 67-page research report published by International Data Corporation (IDC) which is currently being sold for $4,500.

According to the study, which has been summarised by GamesIndustry International , in December 2012 PS3 lifetime shipments reached about 77 million units compared to Xbox 360’s 76 million.

It should be noted that these figures are shipped to retail and not sold through to consumers, although shipment levels will likely be relative to the demand for each console. It’s also unclear exactly where the data cited in the report is taken from.

While shipments of both consoles are essentially neck and neck ahead of the expected release of successors in the next year or so, the numbers indicate something of a win for Sony given the PS3’s shorter lifecycle.

The wider IDC report features console and packaged software sales forecasts for 2012-2016, and the research firm expects global bundle Wii U shipments to reach 50 million by the end of the four year period.

Granted, Sony's and MS' financials may tell a different story, and the 360 is still ahead at retail, but I, for one, would be legit shocked if the PS3 manages to somehow wangle a lead in the gen-7 HD-race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Not surprising given there a lot more storage on a CD then on the Jaguar carts. I was referring to the quality of the game play rather then the quantity of content - now I've not played the Jaguar version so it all be a load of balls :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm surprised Alphaeagle hasn't chimed in on this debate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Microsofts new patent in action on a 360...IllumiRoom

According to Microsoft, IllumiRoom can "change the appearance of the room, induce apparent motion, extend the field of view, and enable entirely new game experiences."

The demo video below shows effects such as falling snow and explosions being projected into the living room. The video was captured live and is not the result of any special effects added in post production, Microsoft says.

Source

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thought that was a Doom 3 pic for a moment, until I seen the scroll bar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

EnterNow wrote: »
    Microsofts new patent in action on a 360...IllumiRoom

Source

Hmmmmmm, I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I'm normally very skeptical about things like that but it looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Time for me to go up against the Garda Virus.

Supposed to be a bit nasty but what the hell lets give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Time for me to go up against the Garda Virus.

Supposed to be a bit nasty but what the hell lets give it a go.

Pretty easy to get rid of. Used to work for an Antivirus company, if you want a free year's subscription let me know.

Malwarebytes usully nukes any virus. The problem then is the virus has made a mess of your registry and you'll need to do a reinstall to speed things up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Probably shouldn't be downloading horse/nun pr0n then from dodgy german sites! Or if you must, use protection!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Malwarebytes usully nukes any virus. The problem then is the virus has made a mess of your registry and you'll need to do a reinstall to speed things up.

Currently running malwarebytes on a friends laptop and so far after 23 mins I have 111 objects detected!
    I also condone the use of malwarebytes, I swear with it!

• Advertisement

You don't need to do anything so drastic... just log in to a profile that hasn't been infected and then run a scan. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Achilles wrote: »
    Pretty easy to get rid of. Used to work for an Antivirus company, if you want a free year's subscription let me know.

Its always going to be easy when you have exposure from working with virus software.

Got it fairly handy though ,really happy that my friend took my advice from before and didnt mess around just shut down and let me deal with it.

10/10 to the creators of it nice piece of software

Nasty but nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah It's a beauty of a virus.I applaude the creator.
    Cleared from a few mates laptops already.One mate admitted he was on a German "specialized" site when it kicked in.

combo of malwarebytes,spybot, hijackthis and a scan at the start with free AV such as AVG or Avast always wins out.

Failing a boot to safe mode etc Hirens boot cd has great facilitys to scan OS post boot...as does many other free AV's..life saver

• Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You don't need to do anything so drastic...

Indeed. Just stop browsing dodgy websites :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »

Indeed. Just stop browsing dodgy websites :D

But they're the best sites! So informative and ehh......educational.

Usually installed by dodgy advertisements, exploiting older outdated copies of flash or Java.

I haven't needed AV in quite a while (although I still use the sub that was boosted to 20 years just before I left the company, hehe). If you install adblock plus on any browser you use in conjunction with keeping your software up to date then you'll barely if ever get an infection.

Why do they have to play with people's emotions like this :(

http://m.kotaku.com/5975051/if-there-was-a-pokemon-game-on-the-wii-u-it-might-look-like-this

Also my laptop seems to have gone a bit tits up, perhaps some if ye might be able to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

http://m.kotaku.com/5975051/if-there-was-a-pokemon-game-on-the-wii-u-it-might-look-like-this

Also my laptop seems to have gone a bit tits up, perhaps some if ye might be able to help?
    I'm sorry, but I think Nintendo are above using something as mundane as the Unreal Engine.

What's up? Send me a PM...

• Advertisement

What's up? Send me a PM...

I will when I'm sober

In other news the hot Asian girl in the pub left real early! What up with that? How dare she!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement