Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I lost interest in pokemon after the first set of ds games but I'll give the new one a go just for the novelty of 3D. I do worry that the battles will get slow with all the 3D animation though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gods Dammit!
    Went to play Far Cry 2 the other day and the game save has disappeared!
    Bugger!
    I must have deleted it in a fit of stupidity, or I must not have recovered it from my last 360, and I had a fair few hours sunk into it at that stage.
    Now, the question is, is it worth starting all over again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Gods Dammit!
    Went to play Far Cry 2 the other day and the game save has disappeared!
    Bugger!
    I must have deleted it in a fit of stupidity, or I must not have recovered it from my last 360, and I had a fair few hours sunk into it at that stage.
    Now, the question is, is it worth starting all over again?

I was enjoying it but it gets very repetitive. It's very long as well! Think I'll blast over the 40 hour mark before I finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I only discovered there recently enough that Cloud Saving is a free part of XBL Gold, pretty handy especially as my son uses a roaming profile via a usb stick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anamanaguchi have a new song out (they did the Scott Pilgrim game OST)
    Everyone wrote:
    Pokémans
    The only Pokémon game I didn't enjoy as much as the rest was Ruby, dunno was it the game or me.
    Pokémon Favourites - Game: Crystal / Pokémon: Clefairy / Episode: The Ghost of Maiden's Peak.
    I'm still the Pokémon Stadium mini game champion, waiting on my rematch with Sparks lol :P.
    Everyone wrote:
    Pokémans X and Y
    Just saw the trailer for X/Y ... starter water Pokémon ... is a frog?
    tumblr_lygqedTRZn1qzqnxxo1_500-1-1_zps69c6c159.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I just want my original Pokemon team. I dont like all the newbies :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Early Half-Life tech demo has been leaked:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Sera wrote: »
    Anamanaguchi have a new song out (they did the Scott Pilgrim game OST)

Lovely! I'd really like to see them play again

latest Qwertee tee, I'm absolutely mad about it
    603352_10151880356682524_657626265_n.jpg

Lovely! I'd really like to see them play again
    2nd best gig ever (Tori Amos will always be first)
    they signed the back of my pixel heart hairpiece I made, was a quick felt and cardboard job, they're so nice

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, sound bunch of lads alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Early Half-Life tech demo has been leaked:

Holy ****! That is amazing!!!! What a release to start the year.

Downloading it now.

/Edit- The multiplayer map in it is an early version of Stalkyard, that is absolutely mind blowing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

a song just for you Atavan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Met up with some friends today for an old-fashioned evening of split-screen gaming. Was scouring my PS3 games for split-screen titles, and it's more than a little depressing how few (decent) games support local play these days.

However, I brought along my copy of Sonic & Sega racers, and kudos to Sumo Digital for making such a terrific party game. Everything is four-player friendly. Unfortunately I didn't have my save game (there was at least one thing memory cards were handy for), so we were seemingly relegated to the default quartet of tracks. But you can play the career mode in multiplayer too, so we were able to keep battling each other while unlocking new tracks and characters as we went along. Beautiful.

As often as we - rightly - mock Call of Duty, it at least offers a similar suite of local play options. Nintendo too have their heart in the right place.

So in these dark days when all but the few brave titles ship with superfluous online multiplayer (not dissing non-superfluous online multiplayer, naturally) its is thrilling to discover a new, enjoyable game that can still be played with a few friends, one TV, and an unhealthy choice of snacks and beverages. Sonic & Sega Racing Transformed is a (ri)star in this regard, and for that I salute what I was once misguidedly tempted to dismiss as a half-hearted Mario Kart clone.

I thought CoD was just split screen in Zombies?

I always thought Halo 3 and beyond did a fantastic job of catering for 4 player split screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Defintely something I dislike about current gaming what with the lack of local multiplayer titles. Heck to play four player on the ps3 is expensive, last time I priced a controller.

I never know call of duty offered it. Might give it a shot with the siblings nest time I'm home.

I always found the Zombie mode a bit crap in CoD. Even Spec Ops were better but still not that great. I much rather the horde modes in Halo or Gears of War.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

66438_562697723744901_1724824826_n.jpg

Even Neil deGrasse Tyson can't comprehend the awesomeness that is the Virtual Boy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I thought CoD was just split screen in Zombies?

I always thought Halo 3 and beyond did a fantastic job of catering for 4 player split screen.

A comment in praise of Halo 3?
    Ok, who are you and what have you done with Retr0, you sick creep!
    Let him go unharmed and we'll call off Sera!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I always thought split screen games needed to die in a fire :(

0.jpg

Admittedly its not so bad on more powerful hardware, split screen zombies etc is fun...but I'd prefer the local system link option by a country mile

Yup, keep forgetting which ones me!
    It's like becoming schizophrenic but without the feeling of aliens controlling your brain!

I always wondering why games didnt quarter the screen into smaller squares?

I remember my friends older brother linked up Destruction Derby on the ps1, blew my tiny mind at the time!

I enjoyed Doom over two PS's good fun.
    Best multiplayer was Return Fire on the 3DO, still my favourite multiplayer game, and that was released a long time ago, heck it's 18 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Was playing 2 player Sonic Racing Transformed on the Wii U the other day. Player 1 uses the Gamepad screen while Player 2 has the full TV to themselves. Works really well.

Sure Crash Banditcoot is 17 years old this year, makes even me feel old

• Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always wondering why games didnt quarter the screen into smaller squares?

I remember my friends older brother linked up Destruction Derby on the ps1, blew my tiny mind at the time!

It would come down to processing power too. I'd say a PS1 running four screens of Doom at once would see the FPS down to a crawl.

My cousin used to link two Playstations for Command and Conquer. Was such a big undertaking with CRT TVs!
    Sure Crash Banditcoot is 17 years old this year, makes even me feel old

No way! You serious? That's crazy. First PS1 game I ever played, blew my mind at the time!

System link is just too much of a pain in the ass. I'd much rather sit down with mates with some split screen. Even if the screen size is the size of a postage stamp I find it more fun to play that way than online.

Split screen does take up a lot of processing power since you are rendering the world in each screen. You'll notice terrible slowdown in older games like Sonic 2, Goldeneye or Mario Kart while in Gamecube games once you go to 3+ players in the likes of Mario Kart and F-Zero there's a big reduction in detail with many superfluous elements left out.

o1s1n wrote: »

No way! You serious? That's crazy. First PS1 game I ever played, blew my mind at the time!

Yep, I noticed it the other day. Another series that needs to die haha!

• Advertisement

I played the Crash Bandicoot games on the PS1 there recently. With the graphics not looking so good anymore (although for a PS1 game they are superb) I don't think they were ever that good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement