Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Steve SI wrote: »
    Avoid this seller on ebay http://myworld.ebay.ie/virtualvillage-co-uk/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Has a high rating number etc but is dodgy as feck(loads of bad feedback in the last month or so). Took my money, lied about shipment and provided fake tracking codes.

Would it be possible to set up a thread with the purpose of setting up a list of avoid ebayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

That was the last sonic game I actually really liked. I loaned this to someone and cant remember who :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The Vectrex lives again on iOS in Vectrex Regeneration

http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/29/the-vectrex-lives-again-on-ios-in-vectrex-regeneration/
    Retro gamers eager to play games made for the 1982 vector-based con­sole The Vec­trex no longer have to wage bru­tal eBay war­fare (unless they absolute­ly want to). Vec­trex Regen­er­a­tion, fol­low­ing in the foot­steps of Atari’s vir­tu­al arcade, is a lov­ing iOS-based recre­ation of a sys­tem so cool, it had its own built-in screen. Nev­er­mind that the screen was an absolute neces­si­ty since tele­vi­sions in 1982 couldn’t dis­play the laser-sharp, line-based vec­tor graph­ics like you see above.

Vec­trex Regen­er­a­tion, devel­oped by Welsh stu­dio Rant­media Games, is free to down­load in the iOS app store and will even­tu­al­ly include all 29 retail titles for the sys­tem as well as sev­er­al inde­pen­dent projects from the con­sole’s thriv­ing home-brew com­mu­ni­ty. While the app is free, you’ll only have access to one orig­i­nal Vec­trex game (the Aster­oids clone Minestorm) unless you pay $6.99 for the expan­sion pack. Only 18 pro­grams are avail­able right now, but the expan­sion will unlock all future con­tent added to the app.

The coolest thing about Vec­trex Regen­er­a­tion is how Rant­media re-created the col­ored plas­tic over­lays for each game. The orig­i­nal Vec­trex screen is actu­al­ly black and white, so to add color and detail, devel­op­ers made phys­i­cal thin plas­tic sheets that would spruce up the screen.

So if you’ve never seen or played with a Vec­trex, Regen­er­a­tion is a cool glimpse into gam­ing’s past and a great way to cel­e­brate the con­sole’s 30th anniver­sary. It’s regret­table that the sys­tem never real­ly took off in the ’80s since the crisp clar­i­ty of vec­tor graph­ics was a refresh­ing change from some­times indis­tin­guish­able sprites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I always liked the Sonic Rush games, but the Neo Geo Pocket Sonic game is also worth mentioning and it really began the visual refresh that was much heralded with the Advance and Rush series.
    Which reminds me, the Sonic Advance set of titles was pretty good, nicely drawn too.
    Then there was the rpg, me no likey!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »

Hmm, Dino mentioned this already and says even the Retina Display tm isn't capable of emulating the glory of the dots and lines on an actual Vectrex, one of which I am a proud owner!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Sonic Advance games were fairly poor in fairness. The later levels were a joke, full of leaps of faith, non sigposted pitfalls and other bad level design nonsense. The Neo Geo Pocket game was made by the same team and has similar problems.

Well, they're better than Sonic Adventure!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, I'm not even sure I'd agree there. Too close to call.

Seriously???
    Sonic "Dodgy camera, Big the Cat and QTE" Adventure is on par with the Advance games??

I think I may have to lie down....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

2250.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lemongrab

Sparks43 wrote: »
    2250.jpg

G2EeA.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

eddhorse wrote: »
    The Vectrex lives again on iOS in Vectrex Regeneration

Unless they're shipping iPhones etc with vector displays, the Vectrex indeed does not live again. Only those fortunate enough to see one in the flesh know how good they actually look, there's simple no way to emulate the warm phospor glow, light trails, & true vector glory that is the Vectrex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Really need to get the finger out and fix my one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The app does have lots of cool stuff in it though. Like the all the old adverts.

Also I now have a WiiU all up in my shizzle! (Stuck in work for the day though)

DinoRex wrote: »
    The app does have lots of cool stuff in it though. Like the all the old adverts.

Yeah, but does it hum

What's your favourite humming noise?

post-1457-1305576804.jpg

DinoRex wrote: »
    What's your favourite humming noise?

post-1457-1305576804.jpg

Definitely this one

220px-VectrexRG2010.jpg

Last issue of Nintendo Power:

VLgOr.jpg

Those feels, man!

• Advertisement

For the day thats in it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Square Enix have just 'released' the original five Tomb Raider games on Steam, and they're charging 9.99 for each of them. That'd be expensive even for the newer ones that are actually playable! The sheer cheek of using screenshots like these for that price :p

ss_086a92aa50d64bbe9ca9a7517c9de288d74c5371.600x338.jpg?t=1354222545

ss_2f918dad4dd3e93153a43f202e9325fee0612fd3.600x338.jpg?t=1354222545

They've been on gog.com for ages.

Think 9.99 will get you the first 3.

Lol, I love the widescreen mode and they way they purposefully hide the black LoD fog :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Apparently the Steam releases are just the GOG versions at greater than triple the price: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3018485

Deal of the century!

The remake of the original is very good. The sequels... well, they were never good.

I quite liked the 360 games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

"You know its gotta be awesome when you're flying a jeep through space and going ape**** with nintendo controllers."

Kirby Mass Attack is going for 10 euro without postage on playasia on a weekly deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Right, time for a bit of Wii U.
    Anyone else playing/played it at home yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement