Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Monkeykube wrote: »

Watched this yesterday while waiting for the missus to get ready, I enjoyed it but by the end I found it a bit drawn out.
    I do like all them Retrospective movies though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I want to know where the Bubsy and Gex retrospectives are!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Castlevania Dracula X has the cheapest final boss ever. Basically the designers took the final boss from Rondo of Blood but instead of the ground being a flat plane it's just a few uneven surfaces over a bottomless pit. This means because of castlevania's tendency to fling you backward after taking a hit if you take one hit you are more or less ****ed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Castlevania Dracula X has the cheapest final boss ever. Basically the designers took the final boss from Rondo of Blood but instead of the ground being a flat plane it's just a few uneven surfaces over a bottomless pit. This means because of castlevania's tendency to fling you backward after taking a hit if you take one hit you are more or less ****ed.

Man up and get it done, just like the 8 yr old version of yourself would have with games like that. :p

On an unrelated note - just packing away my 60GB PS3 probably never to be used again. Think it was the guts of €600 when I got it? Overall what an absolute heap of sh1te of a console, it's only good point was Demon's Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well, after a weekend with the Wii U and a few games and other Wii U bits I'm glad I got it as I do like to try out the latest gadgets and devices.
    But I have to admit, I'm very underwhelmed by it to be honest and ended up playing DayZ on the PC more than Zombie U on the Wii U.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Man up and get it done, just like the 8 yr old version of yourself would have with games like that. :p

On an unrelated note - just packing away my 60GB PS3 probably never to be used again. Think it was the guts of €600 when I got it? Overall what an absolute heap of sh1te of a console, it's only good point was Demon's Souls.

The uncharted games were pretty good, especially the second one... erm thats about it though yeah.
    Edit: gotta say some of the exclusives this next year look good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thank the gods for that Steve!
    I was starting to worry that the first Ninty console is didn't buy at launch was going to scar me, somehow.
    Turns out I'm just dandy!
    I will pick one up when there's a few more games to pick up.
    Or the nanosecond a Metroid game is announced, unless it's a sequel to Other M, in which case it can kiss my ass!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well myself and Sera were in Dioex's place last night and gave the WiiU a whirl in 4 player. Nintendoland was a lot of fun. Some of the mini games aren't that great but zelda, luigi's mansion and mario chase are absolute gold.

Also had a go of ZombiU in multiplayer and it's the most refreshing use of multiplayer since Demon's Souls, it really shows the potential of the Pad. Basically you play capture the falg, on human plays in the standard first person mode while the person with the pad acts as a sort of dungeon master, sending in waves of zombies to stop the play from a top down view. It works really well and we had some great games of it although the stress gets exhausting after a while. I hope other games take note of what ZombiU is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Kinda sounds a little like Pac Man VS, but with multiple pac men (mans??) and a ghost master O_o

Danonino. wrote: »
    The uncharted games were pretty good, especially the second one... erm thats about it though yeah.
    Edit: gotta say some of the exclusives this next year look good.

Aye no doubt there's a handful of good ones, DS was the only that sprang to mind that I enjoyed. That 3D Dot Game Heroes looked interesting but just sat on the shelf. Never got to play Journey but no doubt it deserved the praise it got. I was looking forward to The Last Guardian but am past caring about it now.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Thank the gods for that Steve!
    I was starting to worry that the first Ninty console is didn't buy at launch was going to scar me, somehow.
    Turns out I'm just dandy!
    I will pick one up when there's a few more games to pick up.
    Or the nanosecond a Metroid game is announced, unless it's a sequel to Other M, in which case it can kiss my ass!

It's a nice little console and definitely has some potential. Next gen it aint but still worth owning one I reckon (but no rush on it).
    I'd say a kid opening it on Xmas morning would be pretty darn happy(unless his parents haven't updated the firmware etc beforehand).

Danonino. wrote: »
    Kinda sounds a little like Pac Man VS, but with multiple pac men (mans??) and a ghost master O_o

The nintendoland ones feel like a variation on that however ZombiU is very different. The game pad person doesn't have direct control over the zombies, he has control of where they place them and upgrade paths and what zombies to spend points on, it's like a weird RTS.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    ...PS3...what an absolute heap of sh1te of a console, it's only good point was Demon's Souls.

Don't know if I'd be that tough on it, but it's definitely been underwhelming in comparison to its predecessor. Not enough in the way of really top shelf exclusives over the 360 to warrant the price tag, the lacklustre online features take away from the experience (include a mic with the console FFS) and the slightly better graphics on mostly all the same games just aren't a good enough reason to fork out. My PS3 is rarely used, but my 360 is still busy several days a week.
    Sparks43 wrote: »
    ...i really hope Western Digital go Bang very soon...Like there stupid ****ing usb only hdds

Sorry you had a bad experience. I really like their Consumer media server/video hard drive range. I have a networked 1TB 1080p western digital TV live hub drive hooked up to my 46" screen in the living room, and it's the best media related €200 I ever spent. I can drop stuff off all my machines straight to the TV over my nerwork and watch in full HD.

Its very handy for legitimately downloaded video files which you own the copyright to(!), and has an interface simple enough for non-techy wives not to have to call you at work to explain to them how to use it (big part of the decision to purchase it). Also it has a 2 year full parts and labour warranty in case anything does go pop. If anyone's in the market I'd recommend it.

I have a networked 1TB 1080p western digital TV live hub drive hooked up to my 46" screen in the living room, and it's the best media related €200 I ever spent. I can drop stuff off all my machines straight to the TV over my nerwork and watch in full HD.

Its very handy for legitimately downloaded video files which you own the copyright to(!), and has an interface simple enough for non-techy wives not to have to call you at work to explain to them how to use it (big part of the decision to purchase it). Also it has a 2 year full parts and labour warranty in case anything does go pop. If anyone's in the market I'd recommend it.

I've a couple of "Synology DS412+ DiskStations" which had 4 Western Digital drives in each of them which never had any issues. I recently changed drive types in them and re-purposed the WD drives and they're still running strong.

Now, in my last job we always seemed to be dumping the cheaper WD drives (the thin ones) and getting something else as they failed weekly in the desktops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What are the actual reasons to own a PS3? I take it the Uncharted trilogy are essential enough for it {though they look extremely polished, are they any good?}

Also, what are the God of War games like, are they worth having? Seems to me there's very very little reason to own one over a 360

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I've got both, 360 rarely ever get used, and then only for 360 exclusives.

Just prefer the PS3 for most job. Its has far nicer GUI, quieter, better controller, media playback seems a lot brighter/crisper than the 360 for some reason as well.

Its used 50/50 for media playback and games. Just finishing up on Resistance 3, ya its formulaic, derivative but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably helps it plays PS2 stuff as well.

And when it breaks I'll be buying another, probably the first slim version not the new nasty yoke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've got both, 360 rarely ever get used, and then only for 360 exclusives.

I'm the same, but the complete opposite :)
    Just prefer the PS3 for most job. Its has far nicer GUI, quieter, better controller, media playback seems a lot brighter/crisper than the 360 for some reason as well.

The XMB for the PS3 is an antiquated mess, slow as hell & cumbersome.
    The 360 Dash is a far more optimised & sleeker system, very fast & user friendly. The latest version is somewhat cubersome, though again, at least it gets updated.
    Quiter? I dunno, I've heard some pretty loud PS3's in my day.
    Controller of the 360 wins hands down over the also antiquated PS controller type for me.
    I can't speak as to media etc, I don't use either console for that.
    And when it breaks I'll be buying another, probably the first slim version not the new nasty yoke..

I've yet to see the Super Slim in the flesh, are they that bad? What do you not like about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The cheapass plastic sliding drive cover just ruins it for me. Unless of course I get one really cheap :)

One thing I've noticed is those controllers have ruined FPS on the PC for me, just can't get around the mouse/keyboard controls any more :(

I have owned the 2 for some time and my vote goes with the 360.
    There is something I just don't like about the PS3, and it's not an anti-Sony bias, the PS2 is one of the best consoles I have played, no it's something else.
    Few of Sonys attempts to ape the competition, such as it's FPS efforts are worth playing, Killzone and Resistance are neither essential purchases.
    There is nothing on the system either to compare with the bombast and mayhem of Gears of War.
    God of War comes off like a polished Devil May Cry knockoff and, even then, the 3rd person action game award is well and truly owned by Rocksteady and their Batman games.
    Uncharted are fun but short and the only place I can really had it to Sony is in the Motorstorm series, not sure there is anything to compete elsewhere.
    But the rest of it's line up comes up short, Gran Turismo? Sure didn't Forza trump it as did multiplatform experiences like Grid and Shift 2.

So, few if any innovations there.

The PS3 pad is awful, imho, no real sense of analogue control, the pad is well past it's prime and needs replacing in the next iteration of Sony hardware.
    The peripherals are pretty pants too, the Move, which I own, is irrelevant as is the Eye camera.
    No real integration into the menu system as the Kinect does, you still need a controller in your hand to manipulate the menus on the PS3, so why use a Move, why not just the controller or better still the bluetooth remote?

Also, the insane installs that many PS3 titles seem to need and the slowness of the updates makes it painful to play even new titles on one, while the 360 seems to clip along nicely, because the system doesn't necessarily come with a big harddrive the developers for the 360 have to assume the worst and have their games run as if installs were unavailable, unfortunately the PS3 dev knows the owner has storage to hand and so forces installs on us.

So, no not a lover of the PS3, Ico/Sotc are nice on it, but recommending a PS3 for a pair of rereleased PS2 games is a but sad tbh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Forget the hardware / OS for a second, because the PS3 is undoubtedly one shoddily designed machine. Internet speeds, incessant patches, idiotic firmware updates, a general feeling that everything isn't connected enough.... these are givens.

But the games... well that's where the PS3 is more than worthy. Yes, it may not have the vast library of its predecessors, but it's home to several of the generation's most astonishing games.

Journey - those of us who have played it won't shut up about, but it's that good. A proper step forward for gaming. I love Flower too, in spite of what Retr0gamer will inevitably say ;)

Demon's Souls - rewards the commitment with its rich world and mechanics.

Valkyria Chronicles - a beautiful, innovative tactical RPG that's far more immediate and engaging than it has any right to be.

Disgaea 4 - haven't put as much time into an RPG since Persona 4. Niche, but wonderfully niche.

Dyad - a worthy extension of the Rez / Child of Eden style of gameplay.

Pixeljunk series - a mixed bag (some great, some not so) but with an admirable innovative streak.

LittleBigPlanet - not a well liked series around these parts for some reason (seemingly the physics) but I have to admit a fondness for it. A very creative and thoroughly enjoyable duo of games.

Yakuza series - damn compulsive games.

Uncharted 2 - so-so about the other two entries, but there was something about Uncharted 2's rollercoaster than was absolutely captivating and thrilling. Uncharted is undoubtedly a machine whose inner-workings are often obvious, but it's one well-oiled machine when it is on form.

Not to mention a fine range of multiformat titles, plus the several ones that have temporarily eluded me.

And, having decided to give PSN+ a three month trial run, I reluctantly admit that it's developing into a surprisingly strong service. I'm still not completely sold on subscription based gaming, but given the catalogue of 'free' games they're offering it's definitely going to force MS and Nintendo to up their game. The PSN store has also offered some very good bargains indeed over the last several years, some on par with Steam sales offers - Microsoft's sales are a joke in comparison.

Its region free nature (barring Persona 4: Arena - Atlus bastards) also gives it an edge. Have a nice catalogue of rare PS1 games downloaded for very reasonable fees, and its always nice to have access to Japanese demos or international imports.

I know everyone hates Sony, and yes there are times I have wanted to hurl my PS3 against the wall (mostly when sitting waiting for updates). But I've got countless hours of use out of it, and continue to on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only ps3 exclusive which ever really interested me was The Last Guardian... which I can see being a ps4 launch title at this rate.

I doubt I'll ever own one during it's lifetime. Probably pick one up down the road when they're not worth anything.

EnterNow wrote: »
    What are the actual reasons to own a PS3? I take it the Uncharted trilogy are essential enough for it {though they look extremely polished, are they any good?}

Uncharted two is the best example of the series. It's a good game, if a little frustrating in terms of design and occasional difficulty spikes, the graphics and in places (tower climb) the scale are genuinely impressive and the characterisation is good, but you'll never get away from the feeling that you're playing an on rails adventure exploration shooter, and like a big budget brainless Hollywood movie, you're unlikely to sit through it more than once.

That one's worth a look if you own the system, the others are not as good. The first isn't bad and its cheap now, but it doesn't have the same level of story or scope, and the third tried to be like the second but fell short and had some REALLY annoying bits (the boatyard and the opera house on board the cruise ship).

They're all largely "pick up and play" titles, so you don't need to have played previous versions to appreciate the next in the series.

EnterNow wrote: »
    ...Also, what are the God of War games like, are they worth having? Seems to me there's very very little reason to own one over a 360

Yes absolutely, they are worth playing. The first two in particular from the PS2 are excellent. The first one was one of those games that raises the bar in terms of what action gaming does, so that (ironically) when you look back on it after a few years you think it's nothing too extra special because so many games you've played since have adopted the good ideas it originally had first (kind of like Halo 1 and many other Console FPS games released since then). There are some annoying quick time events during boss battles (which are mostly awesome BTW), but apart from that the story is good and the combat is as simple or as deep as you want it to be.

Pick up the HD box set of 1,2, and 3 if you can get it. The rest of the compilations of the games from the PSP and the like are for big fans of kratos only, not as good as the main trilogy and limited technically because of the hardware differences. If you're only going to play one of the titles, make it the original, God of War. It was arguably the best title on the PS2 (certainly one of the best 4 or 5), and one of those games that came late in the console's lifetime, after developers had the platform sussed. It really nailed it in every department you would be looking at in terms of reviewing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only ever played the first one, but it was pretty good. Wouldn't be in my top 5 ps2 games due to the story being a bit juvenile and naff. Game play and set pieces are fantastic though. Really a lot of fun to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

God of War's OK, although I think Kratos is among the most ridiculous protagonists to ever grace a game, and the 'sex scenes' actually made me embarrassed to have paid money for the games. I always think the combat is much less engrossing than the likes of DMC3 or Bayonetta (naturally), but you are meant to be an unstoppable mindless killing machine so it kind of works. Some fun setpieces. Actually probably enjoyed the PSP entry Ghost of Sparta more than the core series (think it's available on PS3 now too) - it boiled the gameplay down to its basics, and was endearingly short & sweet as a result.

Just realised I have Capcom Classics Collection Vol 2 on the PS2 - some bloody excellent titles on that! Including Varth. Sweet. :D

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    God of War comes off like a polished Devil May Cry knockoff and, even then, the 3rd person action game award is well and truly owned by Rocksteady and their Batman games.

Ah now they are completely different beasts. God of War is a pure brawler while the Rocksteady Batman games have more in common with Metroid and happen to have some of the worse brawling combat in any game (thankfully everything else more than makes up for it).

As for the God of War games you are much better off with DMC3 or Bayonetta and possibly the upcoming MGS Revengeance.

They are pretty much mash x to win games. The first one I enjoyed even if it felt a bit unpolished, it was a big surprise at the time. I really liked the second game, it wasn't deep but it was a lot of fun despite the fact Kratos become one of the most bland and hateful protagonists in any videogame.

I recently completed GoW3 and have to say I was very disappointed. My advice, give that one a miss.

..they are pretty much mash x to win games...

I don't think you're giving the combat in either the batman arkham games or in god of war enough credit. They're not street fighter 4 by any means, but theyre both deceptively deep for the games they're in, and on harder difficulty levels mashing x will get you nowhere but killed. The batman games in particular have a lot in them combat wise, some of the harder combat challenges are very tough and take a lot to master.
    ..The first one I enjoyed even if it felt a bit unpolished, it was a big surprise at the time. I really liked the second game, it wasn't deep but it was a lot of fun..

yeah the first one came out of nowhere. I think a big part of what was missing from the subsequent ones was that you just picked up control of this mindless vicious psychopath and had no idea what his major malfunction was or why all this rage that was directed at no-one was flying out of him, whereas in the first game, his motivation for his "anger issues" was woven into the game's story very well and unfolded along with the plot of the game in a really well paced way (no spoilers).

It was rage and revenge for something terrible that the antagonist had done to him, but the game spent so much of the story piecing together exactly what had happened to help you understand that when you finally find out, you were emotionally invested in his revenge. The original title was the only game that had that motivation and investment in it, the rest were just more angry hacking and slashing for people who had gotten all of the touchy feely stuff out of the way in the first game.

I don't think you're giving the combat in either the batman arkham games or in god of war enough credit. They're not street fighter 4 by any means, but theyre both deceptively deep for the games they're in, and on harder difficulty levels mashing x will get you nowhere but killed. The batman games in particular have a lot in them combat wise, some of the harder combat challenges are very tough and take a lot to master.

OK maybe I was harsh on Batman, it's more like mash x until the QTE triangle appears and mash that to counter. It's a really awful battle system that is unfortunately making it's way into other games. I'm only referring to the brawling though because when you have to use stealth it's a hell of a lot better.

God of War on the other hand is as deep as a paddling pool.

After the first game wrapped up Kratos' plot so nicely the following games were just weird. Kratos had become a bellend and was acting like a spoiled child so he rightfully go his ass kicked. I just could not feel any empathy towards him in 2 and 3. But 2 was so much fun it didn't matter :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

meh , was never bothered by the 360 , I've a gaming PC and a Ps3 and between the two I'm covered.

• Advertisement

OK maybe I was harsh on Batman, it's more like mash x until the QTE triangle appears and mash that to counter. It's a really awful battle system...

It's set up to reward NOT mashing, but rather using specifically timed, well chosen attacks. If you don't mash, but instead time your presses and strikes perfectly you unlock more powerful attacks, bonuses and all sorts of stuff that has a material effect on strike properties, scoring, unlocks, and the achievements you get during the game. When you get into stuff like multi hit combos, critical strikes, and cramming as many different gadgets, attacks, KO's, evades and counters into a fight as you can without taking a hit to get specific challenges or trophies, you start to see it in a new light. It's deeper than just a mash-fest, and learning to do it well really adds to the sense of "being" batman, which is what i think the best thing about those games are.

Also the QTE/counter prompts only appear on the normal difficulty. On the higher ones you're on your own and you have to watch out for what's happening on screen. My arkham asylum 100% is one of my most prized gaming achievements :D

The clip below is a walkthrough for the toughest combat challenge in the game. You're dealing with enemies with knives, stun batons, guns, pipes, and fists, all requiring a different button combo to deal with, and you've got a minute per round to KO them all or the floor lights up and electrocutes you. Also, while you're handling all that you're thinking about which combos and attacks you have to pull off to get specific trophies and awards and max out your score for the challenge, and planning your next couple of attacks dependant on the positions of your opponents.

To put it bluntly, it's f*cking sh*t hard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement