Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I reckon adverts will be the big fish I that particular pond by 2045, far outstripping eBay.

The adverts version:

CIB Nintendo Wii {Square Re-release Edition}
    Fully factory Sealed
    Asking price - €19950

1 new offer - Story bud, offr u €20 ya can get deez of a ebay for a tenner and even less dan dat. De wii iznt a rare machine ar all bud

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Of course, I don't own any NTSC Wii games, no what's the point, I'm not replacing my collection just to use the ice hockey playing, moose hunting, French speaking console.
    But it sure is a purdy device, I don't suppose it's region free?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Watching Wreck it ralph at the moment.

Crap quality but sod it no way am i waiting till march:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I own loads of NTSC Wii games. There's loads of great exclusives on it or else hard to find PAL games are much cheaper and common in the states.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    or else hard to find PAL games are much cheaper and common in the states.

Much the same as the Snes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

There is a few though that are the reverse of that. Rock n roll racing, wild guns, and another that has escaped my memory at the moment. I think it's Hagane. A small few but they exist.
    International Superstar Soccer is way more expensive stateside.

Wreck it ralph is not a bad film at all

My 9 year old loved it but for me it could have been a lot better

Still going to watch it again when it comes out though

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭antonymous

Thought I'd contribute, 2 gems I recently remixed, enjoy :

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Watching Wreck it ralph at the moment.

Crap quality but sod it no way am i waiting till march:D

Did the same the other day... must sit down and watch it. I have no idea why the release date over here is so far away considering that nowadays they tend to get released within a few weeks of eachother around the world.

It's only encouraging people to 'obtain legitimate DVDs of the movie from their cousins in a foreign judiciary'. Aherm.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hahaha, text from my mam this morning -

'U trying to send me a warped message....just got a game of some sort called Mother 2???!?'

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hahaha, text from my mam this morning -

'U trying to send me a warped message....just got a game of some sort called Mother 2???!?'

Lol, brilliant! That was quick too!

Master of the Universe

It always amazes me how quickly a package can arrive from Japan, and for so cheap too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I'm still waiting for Demons Souls and Dark Souls to turn up from here in the country....
    Dude says he posted them last week but they seem to have gone astray.... I'm not buying it tbh, as I reckon the selling point was well below what he was hoping for, €28 including postage....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Am I the only person on the internet who thinks Arrested Development is a tad bit overrated? I mean, it's good, but not season 1-9 Simpsons good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

It always amazes me how quickly a package can arrive from Japan, and for so cheap too!

yeah, there's been a couple of times recently where I've bought from UK & Japan on the same day, and the one from Japan has arrived first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Am I the only person on the internet who thinks Arrested Development is a tad bit overrated? I mean, it's good, but not season 1-9 Simpsons good.

Achilles wrote: »
    I have no idea why the release date over here is so far away considering that nowadays they tend to get released within a few weeks of eachother around the world

It's actually gone further than that. Some of the hollywood studios are actually starting to plan their big releases around an early European and Asian release, then using the publicity from that to boost their opening weekends in the states. The last spidey film, opened in 13 EU and Asia markets before the US got it. By the time it opened in there they were mad for it.

Also a lot of the funding for US blockbusters now comes from outside the US, especially from Asia, and very often whoever contributes the biggest slice of the budget gets the earliest opening date to keep local major investors happy. Hollywood sometimes has to jostle for first position for their opening weekend of films they themselves have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Disney still seem to be living in the 80s though.

Look how long Brave and the Muppet Movie took to be released here as well.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Disney still seem to be living in the 80s though.

Look how long Brave and the Muppet Movie took to be released here as well.
    That seems to extend to their BD releases, as well. There was a thread on this on the bluray site that I go to that addresses this issue, so let me see if I can find it.

Also, did they even bother to release the 3D versions of Beauty and the Beast and Finding Nemo over here in cinemas?

Ahhh. Here we go.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=207227

• Advertisement

Yeah, I keep waiting for a co-worker to give me a VHS copy of Brave with the label reading "Mick and Michelles Wedding" but overwritten with the title "Brave" instead, in red permanent marker..... it's that 80's peoples!

Have to laugh

Just won 4 tickets for the new Tinkerbell film Secret of the wings

Only thing is its already got a dvd release in the states so you can guess that its already been seen in my place

Wonder would it be worth knocking up some bootlegs and selling them outside the savoy on sunday:D

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, I keep waiting for a co-worker to give me a VHS copy of Brave with the label reading "Mick and Michelles Wedding" but overwritten with the title "Brave" instead, in red permanent marker..... it's that 80's peoples!

Oddly enough, I miss that too. Or trying to find a bit of blank space left on a VHS label to write your most recent recording title - cursing yourself for writing other titles in such big letters. :pac:

I'm sure most younger ones today don't know about the relationship between this -

Tdkc60cassette.jpg

And this -

Pencils_hb.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Disney UK / Ireland tend to aim for summer and mid-term releases to take advantage of the bored children / frustrated parents who remain their core market. The Wreck-It Ralph release here coincides with the February mid-term. Of course, they could have gone for Christmas too, but there's a little film about small people coming out in December that would probably have impacted upon their potential audience had they decided on that strategy.

Still, they are incredibly backwards with their release dates, especially when other studios have moved much closer to universal releases. Said universal releases are hardly commercially or practically feasible all the time - especially for smaller films - but with bigger film there are increasingly few excuses, especially with the cost-effectiveness of digital cinema releases (back in the days of expensive, expensive prints, it was a much costlier affair to reproduce films for mass theatrical consumption).

Wow, some of the complaints in that thread are incredibly petty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Oddly enough, I miss that too. Or trying to find a bit of blank space left on a VHS label to write your most recent recording title - cursing yourself for writing other titles in such big letters. :pac:

I'm sure most younger ones today don't know about the relationship between this -

Tdkc60cassette.jpg

And this -

Pencils_hb.jpg

I do! I frequently used to record off the radio and other tapes. Trying to get that fine balance from when the DJ stopped/started talking and the music playing.

Master of the Universe

My folks taped stuff off the radio all the time. I'd be listening to their tapes when I was younger and a DJ would come on from the early 80s. Thing is, you kind of start associating that with the music - sad when you get a cd and they're not there, talking about the Falklands War or something.

My folks Servants taped stuff off the radio all the time. I'd be listening to their tapes when I was younger and a DJ would come on from the early 80s. Thing is, you kind of start associating that with the music - sad when you get a cd and they're not there, talking about the Falklands War or something.

Fixed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Malvinas.png

Uh! Children do not be alarmed but the Falkland Islands have been invaded. I repeat, the Falkland Islands have been invaded!

Wow, some of the complaints in that thread are incredibly petty.
    Yeah, but compared to what the US gets, it seems justified. Hell, where's our Winnie the Pooh BD release?

• Advertisement

I am old enough to remember you should only use up to C-90's for your copied Speccy games, as a C-120 sucks.
    Also, some can remember tape head settings, and bajaxing your tapedeck by forgetting where the original position was.
    Then there were those infernal "advanced" chrome cassettes, that things never loaded right off.
    Also, the Dolby switch, on or off for loading games?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement