Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPro12 2012/13 General Discussion (with transfers/season preview)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

What about Tom Varndell in that case?

Visser has done sweet fa at a higher level to deserve a place on the tour.
    Maitland is a far more complete player, as are all of the other wings ahead of him.
    Would have Wade, Gilroy, Zebo, Brown, Walker (though injured) all ahead of him too.

He's done a lot more than Varndell, Gilroy, Zebo, Brown, Walker.

Although I'd have Wade ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Bogota wrote: »
    He's done a lot more than Varndell, Gilroy, Zebo, Brown, Walker.

Although I'd have Wade ahead of him.

Like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

What about Tom Varndell in that case?

Visser has done sweet fa at a higher level to deserve a place on the tour.
    Maitland is a far more complete player, as are all of the other wings ahead of him.
    Would have Wade, Gilroy, Zebo, Brown, Walker (though injured) all ahead of him too.

6 tries in 10 test appearances is hardly SFA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

its_phil wrote: »
    6 tries in 10 test appearances is hardly SFA?

Two of those coming against Fiji, but in any case, I'm not getting into the
    winger scores tries = winger is great argument. Visser has serious flaws to his game.

Two of those coming against Fiji, but in any case, I'm not getting into the
    winger scores tries = winger is great argument. Visser has serious flaws to his game.

And two against New Zealand. Even if you take those two tries away that is 4 in 9.

What I'm saying has nothing to do with loads of tries = great winger. That is fair enough if you think he has serious flaws, which he does in defence, but to say he has done SFA is a massive overstatement. I don't think it would be unfair to call him a great finisher either.

• Advertisement

And two against New Zealand. Even if you take those two tries away that is 4 in 9.

What I'm saying has nothing to do with loads of tries = great winger. That is fair enough if you think he has serious flaws, which he does in defence, but to say he has done SFA is a massive overstatement. I don't think it would be unfair to call him a great finisher either.

You remember the nature of those tries against NZ yes?!

Apart from finishing run ins, he's actually been quite poor for Scotland, particularly in the 6N.

Like the Earls v. Fitz argument, many see better try scoring record as a prime indication of a better winger.
    Visser should be nowhere near a Lions team, as above, there are plenty better wingers than him.

Tom Varndell has scored 3 in 4 according to his stats. He's definitely a better winger than Visser then?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

trouttrout wrote: »
    Like?

Well if he'd have Wade and Visser on the tour I think there's only one thing he expects a winger to do.

Thankfully it isn't the case with the last few people who have selected Lions squads.

You remember the nature of those tries against NZ yes?!

Apart from finishing run ins, he's actually been quite poor for Scotland, particularly in the 6N.

Like the Earls v. Fitz argument, many see better try scoring record as a prime indication of a better winger.
    Visser should be nowhere near a Lions team, as above, there are plenty better wingers than him.

Tom Varndell has scored 3 in 4 according to his stats. He's definitely a better winger than Visser then?
    Have you read my posts at all??

I'm not comparing quality of players to eachother! I just said criticising Visser for doing SFA is an unfair criticisim

Have you read my posts at all??

I'm not comparing quality of players to eachother! I just said criticising Visser for doing SFA is an unfair criticisim

And I've made my point that running in tries isn't necessarily a sign of a player playing well, or offering much to a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Zebre
    Gilroy has 5 tries in 6 games (if we're including Fiji) and 7 in 7 if we include the Baa Baas and none of them were run ins so I wouldn't say Visser has done more than him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

bilston wrote: »
    Gilroy has 5 tries in 6 games (if we're including Fiji) and 7 in 7 if we include the Baa Baas and none of them were run ins so I wouldn't say Visser has done more than him.

This is Vissers 4th season as top scorer in the Rabo, that's got to count for something.

Zebre
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    This is Vissers 4th season as top scorer in the Rabo, that's got to count for something.

Yeah of course but I thought we were just talking about tries at international level.

Visser is a decent shout anyway but the four picked ahead of him deserved to be and I'd take Zebo, Trimble and Ashton over him as well. Despite my earlier post I would take Visser over Gilroy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ulster and Leinster are 1, 2 in the final league standings and also 1, 2 in the Fair Play League standings too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Zebre
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ulster and Leinster are 1, 2 in the final league standings and also 1, 2 in the Fair Play League standings too
    cheating doesn't pay :)

cheating doesn't pay :)

its very true.

Rugby is a game where indiscipline costs points directly.

Points win games.

Getting CAUGHT cheating doesn't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zebre
    Getting CAUGHT cheating doesn't pay.

This, +1000. Cheating is part of rugby. It's one of the aspects of the game I love. Not in a cynical sense, but when a sly block or a bit of dark arts is applied right and goes unnoticed it's a beautiful thing.

.ak wrote: »
    This, +1000. Cheating is part of rugby. It's one of the aspects of the game I love. Not in a cynical sense, but when a sly block or a bit of dark arts is applied right and goes unnoticed it's a beautiful thing.

Unless it's Downey on BOD! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zebre

Indeed! BURN THE HERETIC!

In fairness, I said at the time it was a good bit of work from Downey. What I was annoyed by is the fact Owens saw it, and then you hear him on the mic saying play on. So in short, yay for Downey, but boo-urns for Owens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It wasn't sly or particularly subtle, Heaslip in the H Cup final 2011was a classic backrowers block that went unnoticed, Downey's block was obvious and seen, Owens just waved play on for some reason

Although I appreciate you likely weren't being completely serious.... There is a difference

• Advertisement

Yes I was being rather tongue in cheek there!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre
    Glasgow's Graeme Morrison forced to retire because of injury.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8723965,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Zebre
    Ansbro, Morrison, Rory lamont, Thom Evans. Scotland are losing a lot of backs to career ending injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

.ak wrote: »
    You've probably answered your own question there. The defences are getting better and more well drilled, thus preventing clean strikes.

Still, we've seen some nice ones in the last few weeks e.g. from JW. And the genuine threat of a DG is one more way to bend a defence out of shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Zebre
    Cardiff are to install an artificial pitch at the Arms Park ahead of next season.
    First Sarries and now Cardiff.
    Will more teams follow?

Zebre
    OldRio wrote: »
    Cardiff are to install an artificial pitch at the Arms Park ahead of next season.
    First Sarries and now Cardiff.
    Will more teams follow?

Isn't the pitch out the back of Lansdowne 3G? I watched a game between I think Lansdowne and Clontarf on it on RTE a couple of months ago and it was an excellent game. Maybe it's the way forward.

Isn't the pitch out the back of Lansdowne 3G? I watched a game between I think Lansdowne and Clontarf on it on RTE a couple of months ago and it was an excellent game. Maybe it's the way forward.

It's a pretty poor pitch tbh, I hated playing on it.

I'm told the Sarries pitch is miles better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I saw the same one. couple of ankle injuries during the match and the commentators were convinced that it was due to the pitch. anyone know if there has been any sort of trend in terms of injuries at Saracens that could be related to the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I saw the same one. couple of ankle injuries during the match and the commentators were convinced that it was due to the pitch. anyone know if there has been any sort of trend in terms of injuries at Saracens that could be related to the pitch?

Different sport I know, but the Celtic defender John Kennedy (he who as at the other end of a horrific knee high tackle) was prevented from playing on the artificial pitch in Moscow by the medical staff.

I wonder next season in the English premiership will we see teams dropping players with niggling ankle or knee concerns due for visits to sarries?

• Advertisement

Any idea when the fixture list for next season is released?

Advertisement