Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPro12 2012/13 General Discussion (with transfers/season preview)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Zebre
    Hagz wrote: »
    Rory Lamont has retired.

Ah that's such a **** one, he had so much promise. I think at times he was better than Sean

Between him and Evans Scotland have actually been very unlucky with permanent injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

jacothelad wrote: »
    I think it's daft playing Connacht at Musgrave. Stupid bit of business.

Yeah in a business sense that was a blunder, I wonder if politics influenced that decision though to be honest. Perhaps the good folk of Cork were getting slightly fed up of having the 'lesser' matches being given to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Zebre
    P_1 wrote: »
    Yeah in a business sense that was a blunder, I wonder if politics influenced that decision though to be honest. Perhaps the good folk of Cork were getting slightly fed up of having the 'lesser' matches being given to them.

was a douche move to away supporters at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

jacothelad wrote: »
    I think it's daft playing Connacht at Musgrave. Stupid bit of business.

How many games are brought to Musgrave each season? for an interpro, it seems nuts with Galway only 2 hours (by bus!) from Limerick.

My girlfriend is a huge Connacht supporter and I was planning to bring her to this match until I saw that it was in Cork...just too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre
    252291.JPG

So that is how the league finished!

A couple of stats:

Wins/Losses/Draws
    • Most Wins: 17 (Leinster & Ulster)
    • Most Draws: 2 (Benetton Treviso)
    • Most Losses: 22 (Zebre)
    • Most Try Bonus Points: 9 (Leinster & Glasgow Warriors)
    • Fewest Try Bonus Points: 1 (All five bottom clubs)
    • Most Losing Bonus Points: 9 (Zebre)
    • Fewest Losing Bonus Points: 1 (Leinster)
    Tries
    • Most Tries Scored: 66 (Glasgow Warriors)
    • Fewest Tries Scored: 28 (Cardiff Blues)
    • Most Tries Conceded: 72 (Newport Gwent Dragons)
    • Fewest Tries Conceded: 25 (Ospreys)
    • Best Try Difference: +36 (Glasgow Warriors)
    • Worst Try Difference: -41 (Newport Gwent Dragons)
    • Fewest Points Scored: 291 (Zebre)
    • Most Points Conceded: 589 (Newport Gwent Dragons)
    • Fewest Points Conceded: 324 (Glasgow Warriors)
    • Best Points Difference: +229 (Ulster)
    • Worst Points Difference: -282 (Zebre)

Below was my prediction at the start of the season (see the OP) of league placings:
    1. Leinster
    2. Ospreys
    3. Munster
    4. Ulster
    5. Edinburgh
    6. Scarlets
    7. Glasgow
    8. Connacht
    9. Cardiff
    10. Treviso
    11. Dragons
    12. Zebre

How right/wrong (!) I was! + denotes that a club finished above what I predicted and - below.
    1. Ulster (+3)
    2. Leinster (-1)
    3. Glasgow (+4)
    4. Scarlets (--)
    5. Ospreys (-3)
    6. Munster (-3)
    7. Treviso (+3)
    8. Connacht (--)
    9. Cardiff (--)
    10. Edinburgh (-5)
    11. Dragons (--)
    12. Zebre (--)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zebre
    Great season for Treviso it has to be said. 7th is nothing to be sniffed at... although I do understand the drop between the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Scarlets
    I really do think they should start awarding a trophy to the regular season winner and then another for the overall champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just shows how costly that loss at home to Ulster was for Leinster, a nice 'easy' semi final against the Scarlets would have been very nice

Zebre
    To finish 12 points away from the playoffs is very disappointing. Costly results at home to Ospreys, Scarlets and Cardiff really did for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Teferi wrote: »
    I really do think they should start awarding a trophy to the regular season winner and then another for the overall champion.

That would demean the playoffs completely and lead to stupid debates over what trophy is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Zebre
    .ak wrote: »
    Great season for Treviso it has to be said. 7th is nothing to be sniffed at... although I do understand the drop between the top.

It's just a matter of time before Treviso are threatening the play offs, actually it wouldn't take a huge leap for them to be up there even as soon as next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Zebre
    Teferi wrote: »

They do that in the NHL, and nobody cares about it. It's not quite as ridiculous as when they hand out a trophy to the winners of the promotion playoffs in English football.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

tolosenc wrote: »
    They do that in the NHL, and nobody cares about it. It's not quite as ridiculous as when they hand out a trophy to the winners of the promotion playoffs in English football.

They give out a trophy for the regular season in the AFL as well I think.

bilston wrote: »
    It's just a matter of time before Treviso are threatening the play offs, actually it wouldn't take a huge leap for them to be up there even as soon as next season.

If the turn the home ground into a fortress the it is very realistic. I'd love them to get an easy group in the HC next year, they'd offer a lot more than Cardiff

Ah the playoffs in the Chanpionship deserves a trophy when you consider the financial pressures! £20m match its worth now!

But no one really cares about the trophy there. I'm sure if they scrapped the trophy, fans wouldn't even notice

Zebre
    The issue for Treviso is holding onto their best players. Both Zanni and Benvenuti have been linked to Perpignan, Treviso can't afford to lose that quality. Mirco Bergamasco is being released by Racing Métro, Treviso should definitely look to signing him up.

The club is owned by the Benetton family, if they put in more money then Treviso could become a rich club very quickly!

Zebre
    The club is owned by the Benetton family, if they put in more money then Treviso could become a rich club very quickly!

A little while ago there was talk of the family removing their backing. Like they did their basketball team. Did anything come of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

errlloyd wrote: »
    A little while ago there was talk of the family removing their backing. Like they did their basketball team. Did anything come of that.

Haven't heard anything about it since. Unless they have financial issues I don't know why they would leave now that Treviso are starting to make the grade properly

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That was about politics in the election of the President of the FIR. The Italians dared to not elect a Treviso man.

The Benetton family are good for their money, not so good for what they expect in return for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Scarlets
    They do that in the NHL, and nobody cares about it.

Yeah thats where I took the idea from. It would be nice to mark the achievement of coming first in the regular season.

• Advertisement

Zebre
    its_phil wrote: »
    Ah the playoffs in the Chanpionship deserves a trophy when you consider the financial pressures! £20m match its worth now!

More like £100m nowadays!

bilston wrote: »
    More like £100m nowadays!

£120m I found out. Such a gap between rugby and football.. The Rabo probably cost Sky pocket change!

Zebre
    its_phil wrote: »
    £120m I found out. Such a gap between rugby and football.. The Rabo probably cost Sky pocket change!

Definitely the new Premier League TV deal starting next season is worth £3bn and then the foreign TV rights are worth 70% of that so thete you go £5bn over 3 years. Thats serious serious money.

I wonder how much Sky are paying for the Rabo? 0.5% of that?

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Player of the Year - Nick Williams

Young Player of the year - Luke Marshall

Try of the year - Andrew Trimble

:)

awec wrote: »
    Player of the Year - Nick Williams

Young Player of the year - Luke Marshall

Try of the year - Andrew Trimble

:)

Much deserved for Williams and Marshall. If there was a comeback player of the year Williams would have taken that too.

Not sure about Trimble. Bevington v Ulster or Vainikolo v Treviso would have been my choices. But he's played that well any award is deserved, hopefully he gave the credit to Pienaar!

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To be totally honest, I don't think his try against Connacht was that good if I am thinking of the right one. But sure, the lad deserves an award for his contribution this year.

Big Nick has been awesome this season, pre-injury more so. I think it took until about January for teams to realise you need to tackle him round the ankles otherwise you can expect to be put on your arse.

Might add Michael "King of the Choke Tackle" Swift won the Chairmans award for his contribution to the league and dedication to Connacht Rugby. Hopefully he gets the IRUPA Unsung Hero Award too. The man deserves it.

Zebre
    awec wrote: »
    To be totally honest, I don't think his try against Connacht was that good if I am thinking of the right one. But sure, the lad deserves an award for his contribution this year.

Big Nick has been awesome this season, pre-injury more so. I think it took until about January for teams to realise you need to tackle him round the ankles otherwise you can expect to be put on your arse.

Assume it was the from the other week which started with him bursting down the wing passin inside to Pienaar and then Pienaar gave Trimble a reverse flick back to Trimble and then he beat he beat one more player to score in the corner...that's how I remembered it anyway, I thought it was good! Is that the one you're thinking of?

• Advertisement

Zebre

That's it. Was going to post it this morning but you saved me the trouble. Cheers.

I think that was a top top try and not just for Pienaars flick but that certainly added to it.

Advertisement