Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPro12 2012/13 General Discussion (with transfers/season preview)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The Goodman try against the Scarlets was a good off the cuff try too, don't think the conditions were great either so it was some really good handling. Was certainly Leinster's try of the season even though Mike Ross's two yard belly flop officially got the prize :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Who would ye say is the RABO ref of the year? Or should I say the least bad one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Zebre
    Ardillaun wrote: »
    Who would ye say is the RABO ref of the year? Or should I say the least bad one?

Patterson is probably the one for me but thats cause I cant remember him bending us over likes some of the other refs (like the unholy trinity of Philips, McEnemeny and Fitzgibbon). TBH the standard of the refs in the rabo is brutal, even refs that I generally have a bit of time for (Owens and Rollaind) seem to be afflicted by the malaise when they ref in it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zebre
    McEnemey is actually my favourite ref so far. Considering he's so new he has a great feel for the game, and is extremely clear in his communications to the teams.

Zebre
    Tox56 wrote: »
    The Goodman try against the Scarlets was a good off the cuff try too, don't think the conditions were great either so it was some really good handling. Was certainly Leinster's try of the season even though Mike Ross's two yard belly flop officially got the prize :D

It's a pity the nominations didn't wait until after last weekend. I think all of the best Leinster tries this season were scored in the Biarritz game.

• Advertisement

Zebre
    Interesting stats. Top 10 points scorers!

247022_624520590909419_1570230171_n.jpg

Madigan is devastating...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

.ak wrote: »
    It's a pity the nominations didn't wait until after last weekend. I think all of the best Leinster tries this season were scored in the Biarritz game.

maybe, but these were Rabo awards weren't they?

Zebre
    Riskymove wrote: »
    maybe, but these were Rabo awards weren't they?

No it was the Herald's Try of the Year for the Leinster awards, the Mike Ross try was in the Amlin. Slightly off topic tho! :P

From a Leinster POV those stats are made even more impressive by the fact that both Sexton & Madigan feature.

All others are "just the kickers" from their respective teams.

Only 9 teams has 'sole' points scorers high enough to feature.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Zebre
    From a Leinster POV those stats are made even more impressive by the fact that both Sexton & Madigan feature.

All others are "just the kickers" from their respective teams.

Only 9 teams has 'sole' points scorers high enough to feature.

or that Sexton features with less than 2/3s of the gametime of the person with the next lowerst gametime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Zebre
    Interesting stats. Top 10 points scorers!

247022_624520590909419_1570230171_n.jpg

Madigan is devastating...

What does it all mean? Who scored the 30 tries for instance? Does it mean that 30 tries were scored while he was on the pitch? That he scored them? That he scored 48 conversions and 108 penalties?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Zebre
    He scored 30 points from tries personally Jaco and so on. The 399 points were scored by players other than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Zebre
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    He scored 30 points from tries personally Jaco and so on. The 399 points were scored by players other than him.

I get it now. The graph and key make it look like tries scored rather than points etc... I don't really know how Kidney could have missed what madigan was doing. Everyone in the country except him, Hook and Trermenjus apparently.

Zebre
    jacothelad wrote: »
    I get it now. The graph and key make it look like tries scored rather than points etc... I don't really know how Kidney could have missed what madigan was doing. Everyone in the country except him, Hook and Trermenjus apparently.

Well the three of them are pretty good company for each other.

Its not the clearest of graphs and I didn't cop on to the minutes played figure at first. Still, while Jackson was the right call in the AIs, but the 6N he incredibly wasn't (which is no slight on him, Madigan was simply doing extremely well), but that's not how Kidney works - he always has an order of precedence in his head that rarely changes.

Madigan well deserves his Rabo player of the year award, though I think the last two weeks have shown that Sexton is still a better player. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What do the numbers beside the player's names signify? Ian Madigan - 1416 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

P_1 wrote: »
    What do the numbers beside the player's names signify? Ian Madigan - 1416 for example.

Minutes.

Zebre
    The fact that sexton has the least game time but the highest stat for team scores just goes to show how good he is. He really is the master at pulling the strings. His assists must be through the roof at this stage.

Zebre
    The fact that sexton has the least game time but the highest stat for team scores just goes to show how good he is. He really is the master at pulling the strings. His assists must be through the roof at this stage.

Eh...that's the total points scored for the entire team all season. Hence why Sexton's and Madigan's are exactly the same :P

Zebre
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Eh...that's the total points scored for the entire team all season. Hence why Sexton's and Madigan's are exactly the same :P

Am I reading it wrong? 471 vs 399?

Edit: never mind, I get it now! Oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Zebre
    That graph is more confusing than project maths :pac:

• Advertisement

Zebre
    Am I reading it wrong? 471 vs 399?

Yeah, 471 of Leinster's total points weren't scored by Sexton, 399 of Leinster's total points weren't scored by Maddser. But its not the points scored while they're on the pitch, just overall for the season.

(as in you add Madigan's points to 399 and Sexton's points to 471 and they both reach 585)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What impressed me is that he has been scoring tries this season but it seems to have gone generally unnoticed. Between Ireland and Leinster, Sexton actually has a fractionally better tries scored to minutes played ratio this season than Ian Madigan which is no mean feat.

1214 minutes and 6 tries
    1644 minutes and 8 tries

Drop-goals aren't too plentiful on that chart. Are players getting better at them, staying the same or getting worse? I've seen some dog-awful attempts over the past few years. Are there any percentage stats? I suspect ROG would be among the better Irish exponents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Scarlets
    Hopefully it's because teams are starting to recognise that going for a drop goal when you have an advantage is pretty much pointless.

Hagz wrote: »
    Hopefully it's because teams are starting to recognise that going for a drop goal when you have an advantage is pretty much pointless.

They have won some close games over the years (e.g. RWC95, 03). In an era of such tight defences, I would have expected more drop-goals, not less.

Zebre
    Ardillaun wrote: »
    They have won some close games over the years (e.g. RWC95, 03). In an era of such tight defences, I would have expected more drop-goals, not less.

You've probably answered your own question there. The defences are getting better and more well drilled, thus preventing clean strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fewer tight matches (being less then 2 points between the sides right at the death) might explain it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Zebre
    Just looking at the stats on the pro12 site, Tim Visser has been top try scorer in the league every season since joining Edinburgh - i.e for the last 4 seasons in a row - with 10, 14, 13 & 11 this season..pretty amazing strike rate.

Stats page http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/statzone/index.php?includeref=2350&season=2012#2350

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Whatever about his deficiencies the boy can score tries. I would have had him on the Lions tour. I know thats not popular but its how I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Bogota wrote: »
    Whatever about his deficiencies the boy can score tries. I would have had him on the Lions tour. I know thats not popular but its how I feel.

What about Tom Varndell in that case?

Visser has done sweet fa at a higher level to deserve a place on the tour.
    Maitland is a far more complete player, as are all of the other wings ahead of him.
    Would have Wade, Gilroy, Zebo, Brown, Walker (though injured) all ahead of him too.

Advertisement