Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site (part2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm still not liking the breadcrumbs, can it not have proper tabs like another site I posted before?
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90682

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭28064212

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm still not liking the breadcrumbs, can it not have proper tabs like another site I posted before?
    Other than appearance, what's the difference? Or are you just saying the tabs look nicer?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Once it is updated to shrink to fit my browser then i will happily adopt the new skin

Fair play on all the hard work and taking on board of suggestions so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

PogMoThoin wrote: »

It was a design decision for the breadcrumbs to be 'sticky'. Emulating that look on the XBMC forums won't work in a 'sticky' context.

As was also said, it's just how it looks, functionality, what's here and what's on the other site work the same.

We are however, based on you sending me that link before, looking at adding that nice shadow effect for when you scroll down and the thread goes under the header.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

It was a design decision for the breadcrumbs to be 'sticky'. Emulating that look on the XBMC forums won't work in a 'sticky' context.

As was also said, it's just how it looks, functionality, what's here and what's on the other site work the same.

We are however, based on you sending me that link before, looking at adding that nice shadow effect for when you scroll down and the thread goes under the header.
    I'm going to do a quick mockup of a much thinner sticky floating topbar later, I really think there is potential for removing 50% of space without losing anything.

• Advertisement

solarith wrote: »
    I'm going to do a quick mockup of a much thinner sticky floating topbar later, I really think there is potential for removing 50% of space without losing anything.

Enable 'Cozy Mode' and it gets much tighter (as will the spacing on the rest of the site)
    We are constantly tweaking the layout / padding in the header to make it optimal.

Is there any way for a user to fix the "extra notification" problem? i.e. the notification showing a "1" even though you've read all your followed threads. Or do you have to request an admin/a dev to do it?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

28064212 wrote: »
    Is there any way for a user to fix the "extra notification" problem? i.e. the notification showing a "1" even though you've read all your followed threads. Or do you have to request an admin/a dev to do it?

Not really. The counts come down from the backend API. They should always be correct and in the majority of cases they are correct but the user hasn't actually read all their threads. There appear to be some edge cases where they're not but we're having trouble tracking these down. Are you currently experiencing a stuck notification count, if so I'll look into it and see what needs to be changed?

Didn't know this was still an issue.
    Will direct it to the relevant person!
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Odd. There was a bug fixed in relation to that a few weeks ago, nothing in this release should have effected it. Can you you do a right click "Copy image URL" and post it in here.

https://avatar.b-static.net/188842.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Both images are the same for me Penn - they're not for you? Go to the link you pasted and CTRL+F5/Hard refresh :)

Not really. The counts come down from the backend API. They should always be correct and in the majority of cases they are correct but the user hasn't actually read all their threads. There appear to be some edge cases where they're not but we're having trouble tracking these down. Are you currently experiencing a stuck notification count, if so I'll look into it and see what needs to be changed?
    Yeah, the count is always 1 more than it should be, has been for a few days. Obviously I could just ignore it, but it's a notification, I can't NOT pay it attention :P:o. Thanks Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Type: Bug
    Issue: If the window isn't maximised, resizing it vertically causes the category list at the top to 'squish' over towards the right hand side, with the 'Tech' category eventually appearing on a new line. Example here:

captureoak.png

Resizing/maximising it doesn't fix it, but visiting a new page does.
    Browser & OS: Win7 Chrome 20.0.11
    Screen Resolution: 1680x1050

Penn wrote: »

Hmm ok, looks like we need to tweak our cache control headers. If you clear your browser cache it will refresh but obviously you can't be doing that every time you change your avatar :)

Can you give us full details of your set-up. OS, Browser and any unusual network settings your aware of(e.g. proxy server, VPN etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Blowfish wrote: »
    Type: Bug
    Issue: If the window isn't maximised, resizing it vertically causes the category list at the top to 'squish' over towards the right hand side, with the 'Tech' category eventually appearing on a new line. Example here:

captureoak.png

Resizing/maximising it doesn't fix it, but visiting a new page does.
    Browser & OS: Win7 Chrome 20.0.11
    Screen Resolution: 1680x1050
    Actually, the above is happening if you resize it at all.

At a rough guess, it looks like at some point you are adding padding to the some of the columns (Boards.ie, Adverts.ie, games and hosted by the looks of it). Every time the window calls a refresh, it adds more padding, hence pushing everything else across.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Both images are the same for me Penn - they're not for you? Go to the link you pasted and CTRL+F5/Hard refresh :)

That did the job
    Hmm ok, looks like we need to tweak our cache control headers. If you clear your browser cache it will refresh but obviously you can't be doing that every time you change your avatar :)

Can you give us full details of your set-up. OS, Browser and any unusual network settings your aware of(e.g. proxy server, VPN etc)

Windows XP
    Chrome
    Not aware of any network stuff
    I think it was also happening when I tested it before at home, which would be Windows Vista, Chrome, and also on the iPad (Safari)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,075 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This is a small and petty thing I admit, but if you choose the full width version, if renders it in small size, and only then resizes it, almost like an afterthought, something which I find a little irksome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I like the new site but there are many glitches when using my iPad, lots of things I can't do that I could before,magnifying the words to select where I want to type next being one.

Spear wrote: »
    This is a small and petty thing I admit, but if you choose the full width version, if renders it in small size, and only then resizes it, almost like an afterthought, something which I find a little irksome.

It should do that once, as it needs to load the full width or cozy mode CSS file. Once that file is cached, it becomes seamless.

The only reasons I can think why this wouldn't occur is that either your browser didn't cache the full width CSS file, or it didn't cache your style preferences and has to fetch them from the server after every page load.

What's your browser, version and OS?

I like the new site but there are many glitches when using my iPad, lots of things I can't do that I could before,magnifying the words to select where I want to type next being one.

We are aware there are numerous issues with viewing the new skin on an iPad but please bear in mind that the new design is not optimised or designed with an iPad in mind. We'll resolve as many issues as we can though.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the count is always 1 more than it should be, has been for a few days. Obviously I could just ignore it, but it's a notification, I can't NOT pay it attention :P:o. Thanks Paddy

This should be resolved for you now. I'm going to dig into this bug again, I might be gone for some time :p

Danny

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,075 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It should do that once, as it needs to load the full width or cozy mode CSS file. Once that file is cached, it becomes seamless.

The only reasons I can think why this wouldn't occur is that either your browser didn't cache the full width CSS file, or it didn't cache your style preferences and has to fetch them from the server after every page load.

What's your browser, version and OS?

WinXP and Firefox 14. And I've made sure the page is finished loading, and it still does it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Why did you change the forum menu at the top to blue?

Having this problem as well.
    tommycahir wrote: »
    It seems that the script to move to the 1st unread post is acting up also on my browser as can be seen in the below screenshot it appears to cut off the start of a post

Browser : Firefox 10.0.2

example URL http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056697740#post79670070 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79668629#post79670099

Firefox 13 on Ubuntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Honestly, I think it looked and felt better before this update. There seems to be more of a delay now when hovering over the drop-down menu. Also, I liked it more when it was white for some reason. The breadcrumbs bar doesn't look as good now either imo, but I understand that people had an issue with it being transparent.

Spear wrote: »
    WinXP and Firefox 14. And I've made sure the page is finished loading, and it still does it after that.

Firefox 14 is currently in Beta. Firefox 13.0.1 is the current stable version. I've tested Full Width in Windows XP with Firefox 13.0.1, I get the initial "pop" after I change into full width mode but after that everything else works as intended with no more resizing after the page content is rendered.

If you are on Firefox 14 then I would recommend changing back to 13 until 14 becomes stable. If you are on 13 then please ensure local storage is working properly and that your cache is enabled.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'd a love for the button with the number of notifications to bring you automatically to the thing it's notifying you about, instead of just the control panel. Can't get out of the habit of pressing it, that extra navigation through the drop down is a bit awkward.

Also "view first unread" only works for me the second time I click it (Chrome Version 20.0.1132.47, Mac OS 10.5.8).

It would be great if clicking on the thread name in subscriptions brought you to the last post read like it does in mobile.

Otherwise enjoying the new look, very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

I like the changes to the breadcrumb. However, I noticed that it's still hiding forum content underneath it. When I scroll a whole page down (using scroll bar, spacebar or PgDown), I have to scroll back up again (3 Up Arrow key presses is usually enough) to see the top-most content.

I'm currently using Safari 4.1.3 on Mac OS X 10.4. I get the same with Firefox 3.6 (latest version of Firefox that will work with this now-old version of Mac OS). I'll try and test this on a newer setup with more recent browser versions.

There seems to be more of a delay now when hovering over the drop-down menu.

The delay between when you hit the menu item and when the menu appears hasn't changed, however the background of the menu item now takes the same amount of time to change. There were a few reasons why we did this, mostly it was was to get around a horrible bug in chrome that causes the first item in the menu to be activated randomly.

To be honest I was curious to see if anyone would notice this change. We'll look into it some more though as you're right, the instant feedback feels faster.

This should be resolved for you now. I'm going to dig into this bug again, I might be gone for some time :p

Danny

Back sooner than I thought. This bug should not crop up again on the new skin or on the old Beta skin but if it does you know where to post :)

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Still not really fond of the overall style. I think it's a combination of the grey colouring, the spacing, font and the general boxiness of it. It feels a bit easier on the eyes than the last one, but it still feels a bit depressing with that hint of early forums that we saw in the nineties (or even taking a look at web cache). I know this is all the rage lately with people echoing back to these styles... look at the Windows 8 logo.

The vbulletin themes have had an extraordinarily long run but I think it has earned it with a natural style. Perhaps the old code is quite broken, but I don't think you should throw away too much of the style. I know you're working on new themes but in my opinion, the colouring is one of the most vital components.

I presume someone has already suggested this, but it would be much handier if clicking on the number of followed threads brought you directly to them. I know you can just hover etc., but it's not as quick.

Advertisement