Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site (part2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

These are just my initial reactions.

Cozy Mode
    Massive improvement. Well done on this, makes the site so much more readable.

Full Width Mode
    This still isn't 100% in my opinion. For example:

[URL=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/446650/212729.JPG[/URL]

It would be so much better if the block of threads was centred in the screen. It just feels out of place where it is.

The Header
    The breadcrumbs is much improved, much easier to read and looks better. However, the menu bar of forums is worse.

I can't show it in a snip, because snips don't take inverted colours into account, but now the menu bar fades into the overall header bar, and it's hard to make out Menu headers without mousing over them.

I realise that this won't affect the majority of the users of the site, because with non-inverted colours it's far easier to read than the previous white one, but surely there's a happy medium between white and the current colour?

On the whole, nice job guys. A definite improvement. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the features make little or difference to me, because the colour scheme is still "eye rape"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    These are just my initial reactions.

Cozy Mode
    Massive improvement. Well done on this, makes the site so much more readable.

Full Width Mode
    This still isn't 100% in my opinion. For example:

It would be so much better if the block of threads was centred in the screen. It just feels out of place where it is.

The Header
    The breadcrumbs is much improved, much easier to read and looks better. However, the menu bar of forums is worse.

I can't show it in a snip, because snips don't take inverted colours into account, but now the menu bar fades into the overall header bar, and it's hard to make out Menu headers without mousing over them.

I realise that this won't affect the majority of the users of the site, because with non-inverted colours it's far easier to read than the previous white one, but surely there's a happy medium between white and the current colour?

On the whole, nice job guys. A definite improvement. :)

In relation to Full Width / Cozy modes, we may come back and look at issues these modes create, but we currently aren't committing to anything just yet.

Can you clarify what you mean in relation to the header?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

the features make little or difference to me, because the colour scheme is still "eye rape"

Alternative schemes are coming, so given your rather negative feedback regarding the colour scheme in the previous thread I'd have thought you wouldn't bother until the new colour schemes were in place.

The colour scheme in your opinion is that, but there is quite a lot of people out there who actually like it.
    In saying that, we did take on board the comments in the previous thread and as clearly stated several times now, we are going to add themes that will change the colour, but they are not at the top of the to do list yet. They will get done, but at the moment, I can't say when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

cozy mode seems better.
    cant see the difference in full width except i have to scroll right to see loads of white.

(what are breadcrumbs?) apart from whats left from the bottom of a loaf of bread.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Good luck to Tony (New Boards Product lead).

Like the new look and feel of the site, though don't know if I'll use it yet, or at least until I'm forced (or like the last sailor off the ship)

BTW, any chance Tony you could come up with a titanic skin, just in case we all get that sinking feeling :)

Thanks guys for all your help.

All the best,
    Ant (eircom Mod)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

In relation to Full Width / Cozy modes, we may come back and look at issues these modes create, but we currently aren't committing to anything just yet.

Can you clarify what you mean in relation to the header?

It's hard to explain without pictures but I'll give it a go. :)

I use inverted colours, and the top bar of the header (boards.ie, Adverts.ie, Arts, etc) kind of fades into the main header (boards logo, username, notifications, etc). The colours (when inverted) are too similar for my liking, and the two parts aren't as distinct as they were before the change.

At a quick glance, the text for the menu headers (Arts, Rec, Sys) don't stand out as much as they did when the background was white.

Not sure if that makes any sense,

Out of interest, are the menu headers (Arts, Rec, Hosted, etc) in bold?

It's hard to explain without pictures but I'll give it a go. :)

I use inverted colours, and the top bar of the header (boards.ie, Adverts.ie, Arts, etc) kind of fades into the main header (boards logo, username, notifications, etc). The colours (when inverted) are too similar for my liking, and the two parts aren't as distinct as they were before the change.

At a quick glance, the text for the menu headers (Arts, Rec, Sys) don't stand out as much as they did when the background was white.

Not sure if that makes any sense,

Out of interest, are the menu headers (Arts, Rec, Hosted, etc) in bold?

It makes sense, but we haven't designed the site with inverted colours in mind. Maybe dont invert them and it would be better?
    (p.s. the upcoming dark theme might be to your liking)

It makes sense, but we haven't designed the site with inverted colours in mind. Maybe dont invert them and it would be better?

I have to have the inverted (sensitivity to bright colours makes reading black on white text difficult).

It's fine though, I realise this isn't an issue for the majority of users, but it was the feedback I had so said I'd put it out there. On the whole, the updates are a vast improvement. :)

• Advertisement

I have to have the inverted (sensitivity to bright colours makes reading black on white text difficult).

It's fine though, I realise this isn't an issue for the majority of users, but it was the feedback I had so said I'd put it out there. On the whole, the updates are a vast improvement. :)

Ah, I understand now!

the black theme will really help then.
    We'll be letting people know when it's live.

Ah, I understand now!

the black theme will really help then.
    We'll be letting people know when it's live.

Nice one. Cheers Tony. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

From intial use of the new changes:

Full Width Mode: Looks really nice on IE8 (work comp), no white space at all.

I also have Cosy Mode enabled though still not 100% sure what exactly it does, though I can't see it causing anything negative.

I played around with the Headers and I managed to get only the gray (bread-crumb) bar following the text down the page but that only worked for a couple of pages. I've logged out and refreshed cookies etc but won't budge.

One other annoying thing is beside my name is a number. From the drop-down list I see that this relates to threads I'm actively subscribed too but going into this list I can't find any with new posts (I have checked 13 pages going back through the last 10 years).

I like to be idea of the notification so don't want to disable it (I actually tried this but number remained!) so just wondering if anything else I can do other then click on every link to read all new posts in that list.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to the themes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

From intial use of the new changes:

Full Width Mode: Looks really nice on IE8 (work comp), no white space at all.

I also have Cosy Mode enabled though still not 100% sure what exactly it does, though I can't see it causing anything negative.

I played around with the Headers and I managed to get only the gray (bread-crumb) bar following the text down the page but that only worked for a couple of pages. I've logged out and refreshed cookies etc but won't budge.

One other annoying thing is beside my name is a number. From the drop-down list I see that this relates to threads I'm actively subscribed too but going into this list I can't find any with new posts (I have checked 13 pages going back through the last 10 years).

I like to be idea of the notification so don't want to disable it (I actually tried this but number remained!) so just wondering if anything else I can do other then click on every link to read all new posts in that list.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to the themes.

You've got a PM. I've sent you 4 threads you are following that you haven't read recently

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

You've got a PM. I've sent you 4 threads you are following that you haven't read recently

Danny

Ironically it was a thread notification that lead me back here and it was only then I found I had a PM - no notficaiton about it in bar.

Thanks though for the PM Danny.

I actually just unfollowed from those threads to see if this resolved the issue and if I click on my name now it's 0 though just before I decided to reply to your post it was 4 still.

Hopefully that's it gone. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Amy2010

Old site
    I've a quick test for responsive web and it appear to pass the test on a smaller browser window size but failed on a responsiveness...where are two columns with a poster name on left is taking up more room than a post on right with the post content with less space. The content post is more important than a poster name, right?

I've checked on mobile web (Android HTC) where I've to scroll left to see a poster name instead of automatically move to the top of each post? Is it possible to move a poster name above the post for mobile web responsiveness?

New site
    Failed responsive web test!!! What about someone with small screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Why is 'cosy' spelt as 'cozy'?

• Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭JasonBourne

Love the new look, keep it. easy to navigate and looks less like an amateur forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Has anyone noticed how trying to browse the Rec categories on ipad proves difficult? Can this be fixed?

33e0ux5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Amy2010

Because it failed responsive web test that is why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Why is 'cosy' spelt as 'cozy'?

Us web devs are all americanized from typing color when writing stylesheets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Has anyone noticed how trying to browse the Rec categories on ipad proves difficult? Can this be fixed?

33e0ux5.png

Yes definitely, you can't even scroll across :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Cozy Mode is so much better, and has single-handedly meant that I'll stick with the new theme. Everything else I can get used to, but the massive blank spaces and blue header were too much to bear

Much improved :)

Amy2010 wrote: »
    Old site
    I've a quick test for responsive web and it appear to pass the test on a smaller browser window size but failed on a responsiveness...where are two columns with a poster name on left is taking up more room than a post on right with the post content with less space. The content post is more important than a poster name, right?

I've checked on mobile web (Android HTC) where I've to scroll left to see a poster name instead of automatically move to the top of each post? Is it possible to move a poster name above the post for mobile web responsiveness?

New site
    Failed responsive web test!!! What about someone with small screen?

There will be no changes to the old styles at all. People on small screens can use the touch-optimised site.

The Rec issue with the menu is being looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I like it, but why is cosy spelled with a "z"?

mitosis wrote: »
    I like it, but why is cosy spelled with a "z"?

See three posts above yours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

See three posts above yours :)

Thanks Danny. So you'll fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I inadvertently switched back to the old site, not sure how, and I detested it. Happy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....trying to find my own questions on the original thread, I had to do it the round-about way: go to my CP, and find 'all posts by galwaytt'......

...the 'omnibar' isn't, well, quite so Omni, it seems. I typed in my name, and click 'week' on l.h. toolbar and also 'search this thread for galwaytt' and.........got a big fat zero. (see attachment).

...which leads me to the purpose of the search in the first place - wondering if there's an answer to my question on page 73 (post #1089 in factah...)...

212769.jpg

1. Hover-over to expand sub-menu's : is this going to happen, or can't happen or....likely to happen, or..........A.Other reason ?
    2. Same thing but for the brightness - really, really need to tone it down.......or are my eyes playing tricks on me, and it has been - a bit, since Beta 1.0 ??

Btw, breadcrumbs much better now, beginning to like it - even if it looks very 'DEC' - all ye dev's old might get that..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    1. Hover-over to expand sub-menu's : is this going to happen, or can't happen or....likely to happen, or..........A.Other reason ?

2. Same thing but for the brightness - really, really need to tone it down.......or are my eyes playing tricks on me, and it has been - a bit, since Beta 1.0 ??

1) Not likely, at least not in the near future.

2) Not happening. Your solution is the themes that Tony has already mentioned several times.

3) Searching from the Omnibar is searching for words in posts. Your name doesn't come up that often in post content. If you want to find your post you could have opened the old thread, clicked Search this Thread -> Advanced -> Posts by galwaytt. Or clicked advanced from the search, posts by galwaytt in Feedback.

Advertisement